• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
zesty said:
So I finally decided that I need to finish the Resistance campaign since I've had it since August but haven't played more than 3-4 hrs into it. I got to the cathedral last night. Jesus tap-dancing Christ. As much as I hated dealing with The Flood in Halo 2/3, the Chimera bug things in the cathedral are about a million times worse. I probably tried that stupid fight a dozen times last night and survived the crawlers twice, only to immediately get raped by the two big dudes who come charging out shooting the funky spark guns. I'm playing on normal difficulty and have not had much trouble with the rest of the game so far. Do I just suck?

LOL, for me that part, on Inhuman Mode was a crime

ChryZ

zesty said:
Do I just suck?
Rethink your strategy, how to utilize your arsenal and how to exploit the architecture of the cathedral.

Save grenades and 40mm (carbine alternate fire) for the big dudes, kill the crawlers with a short range weapons (shotgun, etc), use the doorway of the cathedral as choke point (you will be able to get 3-5 crawlers with one shot), the big dudes and their auger fire are slow (dance around them, one 40mm/grenad hit = one kill)

So, just to make sure I'm not alone, I want the take of some GAF members on this 'viewpoint' a certain member on another forum I frequent has:

No, the fact that there has yet to be an exclusive FPS that surpasses Resistance is not just a testament to the game's quality... Resistance was a great game, but was by no means revolutionary. The fact that no exclusive FPS on the PS3 has passed it up yet elicits a weakness in the system more than any strength in the game.

I think this is stupid, plain and simple. Saying that Resistance and it's 'staying power' is a weakness in the PS3 is ridiculous. Given that the game effectively replicates the strongest aspects of some of the best games out there (Halo's party system, HL2-esque narrative / 'feel')...I don't know.

Am I alone in thinking this guy is a moron?

Basch

jeremy_ricci said:
Am I alone in thinking this guy is a moron?

No you are not. :D But some people, no matter what you tell them or suggest to them will refuse to believe a game is anything but what they have preconceived it as. This is personally one of my favorite games. But everyone has their own opinions. I'm sure once Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 hit, Gears of War and Halo will look like what they have been made into. A fad. But why can't we enjoy all of these titles? They are all really good. :D

besada

Banned
Basch said:
Gears of War and Halo will look like what they have been made into. A fad.

:lol So not only is KZ2 a Halo-killer, it's going to turn Halo into a fad? Could you get more delusional?

I'm stoked about KZ2, but c'mon man, H3 sold more than five million copies. It is the de facto top dog on the console shooter scene and that's not changing anytime soon.

Basch

besada said:
:lol So not only is KZ2 a Halo-killer, it's going to turn Halo into a fad? Could you get more delusional?

I'm stoked about KZ2, but c'mon man, H3 sold more than five million copies. It is the de facto top dog on the console shooter scene and that's not changing anytime soon.

I hope the two turn Halo into a fad. I enjoy Halo 3 as much as the next person, but I enjoy it for entirely different reasons than everyone else. I view it as a nice game with an amazing and serene single player experience with great art (love the color scheme), nice dialogue :lol , and spectacular level designs. I remember for years now, it seemed everyone valued Halo for the multiplayer experience and story. People would discuss the story to death, and it was a very simple story. It was not entirely complex. Resistance is complex. It has one of the best stories in any video game period, along with probably the most balanced multiplayer experiences to be found in a First Person Shooter. I also value intense shootouts. Halo does not have that. Resistance has it in spades. Can you begin to see why this is one of my favorite games of all time?

Everything that has attracted gamers to Halo 3, I feel can be found elsewhere. A matter of fact, I feel a lot of games do some of the more respected elements in Halo better. As we all know though, Halo 3 is a goliath. It is very popular among gamers. But as of late, I believe many are starting to see it for what it is. And as a result, I feel people are becoming more open. That is not a bad thing. It is a good thing. This is why I feel it is becoming less of a fad. I think KillZone 2 and Resistance 2 will seal the deal and will reach numbers that will perplex many. I'm sorry if many took my comment negatively. I view it as a positive on both spectrums, because when people become more open, more and more games will gain spotlight. With that spotlight, more and more games will get more acclaim. Acclaim and recognition can help gain sales. With increased sales, developers will be able to make more games, which expands the industry. But above all, you gain competition. And competition can bring out the best in games. That is why I view it as a good thing. It wasn't meant to be taken as an arrogant comment. Sorry.

andycapps

Basch said:
I hope the two turn Halo into a fad. I enjoy Halo 3 as much as the next person, but I enjoy it for entirely different reasons than everyone else. I view it as a nice game with an amazing and serene single player experience with great art (love the color scheme), nice dialogue :lol , and spectacular level designs. I remember for years now, it seemed everyone valued Halo for the multiplayer experience and story. People would discuss the story to death, and it was a very simple story. It was not entirely complex. Resistance is complex. It has one of the best stories in any video game period, along with probably the most balanced multiplayer experiences to be found in a First Person Shooter. I also value intense shootouts. Halo does not have that. Resistance has it in spades. Can you begin to see why this is one of my favorite games of all time?

Everything that has attracted gamers to Halo 3, I feel can be found elsewhere. A matter of fact, I feel a lot of games do some of the more respected elements in Halo better. As we all know though, Halo 3 is a goliath. It is very popular among gamers. But as of late, I believe many are starting to see it for what it is. And as a result, I feel people are becoming more open. That is not a bad thing. It is a good thing. This is why I feel it is becoming less of a fad. I think KillZone 2 and Resistance 2 will seal the deal and will reach numbers that will perplex many. I'm sorry if many took my comment negatively. I view it as a positive on both spectrums, because when people become more open, more and more games will gain spotlight. With that spotlight, more and more games will get more acclaim. Acclaim and recognition can help gain sales. With increased sales, developers will be able to make more games, which expands the industry. But above all, you gain competition. And competition can bring out the best in games. That is why I view it as a good thing. It wasn't meant to be taken as an arrogant comment. Sorry.

I understand what you're saying here, and I agree to an extent, but let's leave the console wars out of this. You're not going to win this...

besada said:

While I agree that KZ2 isn't going to phase Halo fans, or sell nearly as much as Halo 3, I disagree, strongly, that it is any sort of top dog on the shooter scene.

CoD, Resistance, hell even TF2 are all more 'deep' than Halo. Halo is, IMO, a terrible shooter online, with aged mechanics, and a very very poor excuse for varied game modes online.

Resistance adding team objective matches was awesome, took new steps that shooters were starting to take (UT3, CoD4, etc). Halo still hasn't made similar leaps.

I think Halo is popular, but in no way the top dog as far as quality is concerned. Let's not get confused, sales =/= quality.

Basch

andycapps said:
I understand what you're saying here, and I agree to an extent, but let's leave the console wars out of this. You're not going to win this...

I agree. No console war. I enjoy all three. :D I just want people to become more open. There are many great games offered on every system that all gamers should experience.

besada

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:
While I agree that KZ2 isn't going to phase Halo fans, or sell nearly as much as Halo 3, I disagree, strongly, that it is any sort of top dog on the shooter scene.

I meant top dog here in the sense of "largest number of players" rather than best game. We were talking about the likelihood of it being turned into a fad, and with more than a million players showing up daily that seems unlikely.

besada said:
I meant top dog here in the sense of "largest number of players" rather than best game. We were talking about the likelihood of it being turned into a fad, and with more than a million players showing up daily that seems unlikely.

Ah, gotcha. Well in that case, I agree completely. No one is going to knock Halo off the throne for years, because no one is going to have such a huge market buzz (or pockets as deep to pay 7-11 to sell a videogame).

That said...I still think the guy who said Resistance being the best FPS on PS3 a year after it's launch is a 'bad thing' is a moron though. Especially when he say's that's not a testament to the game itself, but a negative to the 'PS3'.

That's just retarded.

andycapps

besada said:

Nevermind, I was going to continue down this path, and I've seen enough bannings around here to know I should stay well away from system wars. Anyway, let's just like games for what they are and leave it at that. The Xbox platform has the Halo franchise and Gears: Playstation has Killzone, Resistance, etc. Let's leave it at that. :lol

besada

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:
That said...I still think the guy who said Resistance being the best FPS on PS3 a year after it's launch is a 'bad thing' is a moron though. Especially when he say's that's not a testament to the game itself, but a negative to the 'PS3'.

That's just retarded.

Agreed. You can't blame the PS3 because Resistance got it right out of the door. Although I'm quite a fan of UT3 on the PS3 as well.

Angelcurio

zesty said:
So I finally decided that I need to finish the Resistance campaign since I've had it since August but haven't played more than 3-4 hrs into it. I got to the cathedral last night. Jesus tap-dancing Christ. As much as I hated dealing with The Flood in Halo 2/3, the Chimera bug things in the cathedral are about a million times worse. I probably tried that stupid fight a dozen times last night and survived the crawlers twice, only to immediately get raped by the two big dudes who come charging out shooting the funky spark guns. I'm playing on normal difficulty and have not had much trouble with the rest of the game so far. Do I just suck?
I remember when i got to that same level, but in hard difficulty. Damn, that part was hard.

Basch

Angelcurio said:
I remember when i got to that same level, but in hard difficulty. Damn, that part was hard.

Yes. That part was just insane. That and the part I am at now. Darn subway. :lol I need to save more often.

Oh, and the part when running through the streets in Manchester when all the Chimera wanted to shoot you from behind windows. :D

andycapps

zesty said:

Use the shotty on the crawlers and for the Auger enemies use grenades on them or do a lot of strafing. Or you could try using a bullseye tag and taking care of them that way. Perfect your use of the bullseye tag, that will help you tons when you go online. :D

Basch

andycapps said:
Use the shotty on the crawlers and for the Auger enemies use grenades on them or do a lot of strafing. Or you could try using a bullseye tag and taking care of them that way. Perfect your use of the bullseye tag, that will help you tons when you go online. :D

No kidding. But I did the opposite for my strategy. With the Leapers, I ran around in circles and used grenades. They're creepy screams scare the hell out of me. :lol I used a shotgun and the bullseye on the Steelheads.

The hardest enemies in the game, though, I would have to say are the Widowmakers. Those meanies are lethal. Oh, and the Grayjacks. Something about them just creeps me out.

zesty said:
Thanks for the tips, gents. I'll give it another go this evening.

Just to elaborate on what others have suggested: Use that doorway you entered from as a chokepoint to funnel all those leapers to you. The shotty and a rifle (I recommend the bullseye for the high rate of fire) are really all you need against those leapers. Save your grenades for the Steelheads. You can usually get them while they are still bottled up in the archway.

That section is really not that hard when you think strategically and use the architecture and weapons to your advantage rather than the other way around.

Now is the time to get yourself into that mindset. In the next area you encounter, you'll experience the same level of training yourself to think strategically and make the connection between the terrain. That's really what these levels are designed to do, and it's pretty clever, since you never feel you are still in a sort of tutorial mode, yet you are learning all the time.

Every time you pick up a new weapon, you need to learn it's strengths and weaknesses, and how to use them to your advantage. The campaign does a really nice job of letting you experiment with all the choices each new weapon presents.

Resistance requires you to really make the strategic connection between the enemy type confronting you, the weapons at hand, and the terrain, like few other games. When you get familiar with each weapon's unique primary and secondary capabilities, and learn to set up your weapon selection so you can switch to the weapons you need in any particular situation, you'll be on your way to mastering the single player, and you'll soon be comfortable in multiplayer.

Enjoy!

Dever

Banned
So, a finnish gaming mag that I read just did a feature on titles coming in 2008. Included in the article was Resistance: Fall of Man 2. They didn't even mention that it hasn't actually been announced yet. :p Apparently Europe should get the game in time for Christmas as well.

Basch

So does anybody know how they did all those creepy sounds for the Chimera in the game? If those were actual people... :lol It must have been funny to watch those sound effects being made. Especially the Leapers. :D

Basch

Last night... I mean this morning (staying up past midnight may not be such a good idea with the new semester starting up), I finished the Campaign on Hard mode. Oh man was it good. I can't get enough of this game. It sure as hell was challenging. Especially the Widowmakers. I often asked myself, "Do they want me to beat this game?" :lol Vicious little beasts. They hurt my ears too. So does anybody know how they did the sound for the game? By the way, I don't get why so many people detest the music in Resistance. I thought it was exceptional. At first I thought it was kind of weird, but when you listen through the song it is actually really good. Kudos, Insomniac. Some of my favorites were the ones towards the end, and the one at the beginning where the Steelheads burst through the boarded up archway in the Manchester Cathedral. If I had to say, I would say that the reason many people didn't like the music was because it wasn't what they wanted it to be. Must be too used to Halo: may have expected a more choir-esque tracks.

Oh, another hard part was
going through the Chimeran tower after seeing an Angel roaring at you
. So many enemies. Took me a while to get it just right. Thankfully, after that part, you packed a whole bunch of healths throughout the level and I had no more problems. Wait 'til I try Superhuman. There was one other item of interest I found when playing. I found an intelligence document in the
Chimeran tower
and it said the place had the capabilities to support
Chimerans larger than Widowmakers and Angels
. Could that mean that even larger forms of Chimera may exist? Uh oh. And I thought those two were hard enough. Resistance 2 may just become a little more challenging. That's okay with me, though. :D

Sadly, I won't be able to play it again right away. I want to play Superhuman mode really bad, but I've got to go play Isomniac's other: Ratchet and Clank Future. So, yeah. Oh yeah, nice unlockables Insomniac. Enjoyed the multiplayer character customization and the Behind the Scenes video. Thanks for all your guys' hard work for making one of my favorite games. :D I am looking forward to Resistance 2 greatly.

Basch

So I just checked out Game Informer's website, and they got a countdown for the next issue. Six days. Not too long. We'll find out if it has any info soon enough. :D I'll keep an eye out for an update throughout this week and the next.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Basch said:
So I just checked out Game Informer's website, and they got a countdown for the next issue. Six days. Not too long. We'll find out if it has any info soon enough. :D I'll keep an eye out for an update throughout this week and the next.

When do subscribers usually get theirs?

Don't want to read TOO much into it. But GI out on the 16th, Insomniac podcast with "news" on the 17th..

Basch

gofreak said:
When do subscribers usually get theirs?

Don't want to read TOO much into it. But GI out on the 16th, Insomniac podcast with "news" on the 17th..

It varies. But I don't have a subscription anymore anyways. :( I think that, when I used to have it, people would recieve their copy in the mail anywhere from five to ten days early. Maybe I have a poor memory. But I always remember getting mine around the 10th-13th of every month. So, soon, my friend... soon. :D

Basch

This where you be looking...

Helping Wollan: Finding Countdown :D

HelpingWollanFindingCountdown.jpg

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
I recently bought a PS3, Uncharted was awesome, assassin's creed was pretty good, now I'm waiting on a price drop for this game to jump on it, or does anyone know where to get it for $40 or below right now?

Basch

Wollan said:
JS current PSN tag:
'Stay tuned kiddos...'

*GASP* Stop playing with me. This better be going down soon. I've been anticipating this for a long time now. Come on, Insomniac... or is it Game Informer (five days and counting)? Hurry up whoever it is. :lol One heart spike after another. When will it end? I don't know how much more I can take. I remember when I decided to listen to the podcast this last week, and hearing Ted Price stumbling over the words next project with Resistance was joy to my ears. :D We need to know. Unveil it now!

rainer516 said:
I recently bought a PS3, Uncharted was awesome, assassin's creed was pretty good, now I'm waiting on a price drop for this game to jump on it, or does anyone know where to get it for $40 or below right now?

Best Buy was having a deal for $40 not long ago. Don't know if its still good now. Resistance is personally one of my favorite games ever. An unmatched singleplayer mode that fuels all kinds of awesome and one of the most finely tuned multiplayer modes that will keep you playing for months to come (I have to say months because I just got the game back in November, haven't had a year yet: that also depends on its sequel. :D ). This game also, what I would say, is the most complex story in a video game ever. Hands down. This is well worth the $60 it is running at. But if you catch it at $40, all the better.

Basch

My God! Check the last post in this thread.

What are we suppossed to do now? Someone tell us whats in it. There is no way what he says is true.

For the lazy:

giantsquirrel said:
Or go read Gameimformer's Feb. Issue...
I'll give you a hint, just "pretend" it might possibly have 60 player mp, 8 player co-op, 2 campaigns...but that's just pretending

Dante

Basch said:
My God! Check the last post in this thread.

What are we suppossed to do now? Someone tell us whats in it. There is no way, what he says is true.

For the lazy:

I couldn't even fathom the awesomeness of 8 Player Co-op. I hope we can have a NeoGaf Resistance clubhouse in Home :)

Basch

I should be getting some sleep, but why can't the dude just spill the beans. UGH! I'm wondering if should bump the Surfer Girl thread for Wollan. :lol

Wollan

OKAY. I say don't dive into that hype pot as it sounds far too insane.
However I'm confident the Game Informer Feb mag is where the game will be revealed now.
Please, please, please someone get it in their mailbox today.

j-wood

Does anyone remember someone from insomniac (when asked questions about resistance multi-player) said that they enjoyed CoD4 very much, and i think said something along the lines of " Believe me, we're taking into consideration the elements that everyone likes in cod4 so much."

Who else believes that Insomniac could really up the bar on multi-player in resistance 2? I sure do :D

j-wood said:
Does anyone remember someone from insomniac (when asked questions about resistance multi-player) said that they enjoyed CoD4 very much, and i think said something along the lines of " Believe me, we're taking into consideration the elements that everyone likes in cod4 so much."

Who else believes that Insomniac could really up the bar on multi-player in resistance 2? I sure do :D

Yeah I remember that. It seems they feel CoD4 is the current benchmark for FPS on consoles.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There's no reason to believe what these people say..particularly the quote from that messageboarder. It just seems like a random quote, anyone could make something like that up..

Top Bottom