• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

During my demo downloading spree I dl'd resistance as well, and I wasn't too impressed with it visually. Then again I just got finished playing Uncharted before playing resistance. Does the final game look any better, everything else about Resistance was solid.

Ceb

mysticstylez said:
During my demo downloading spree I dl'd resistance as well, and I wasn't too impressed with it visually. Then again I just got finished playing Uncharted before playing resistance. Does the final game look any better, everything else about Resistance was solid.

The first levels aren't that visually exciting. It gets better.

Tieno

mysticstylez said:
You don't need to play this game for the visuals, except for a few exciting vistas. The gameplay with the weird guns is the best thing and gets better as you 'learn' them, though some more enemy variety and behaviour wouldn't hurt.

boco77

Banned
This game was just too generic of a fps to stand out. I struggled to get through the campaign because it was just so dull. I mean what was so good about it? it was adequate in everything but it simply was very by the books and boring. The multiplayer was ok but again it was nothing that hasnt been done before and better. Halo 3 and CoD4 totally trounce it in gameplay.

andycapps

mysticstylez said:

As mentioned, the later levels look a bit better, but the graphics aren't always mindblowing as they're a launch title. It's a very solid title with a rock solid framerate and awesome gameplay. It does have far draw distances and lots of physics based effects that are very nice, but they didn't have their streaming textures in their engine in time for Resistance 1. The tech is in Ratchet and will be in Resistance 2 as well.

Doel

Apparently someone on the IGN PS3 boards got the latest issue of GameInformer where the cover story is Resistance 2. Details so far are:

I just got my latest GameInformer and its cover feature is Resistance 2!!!!!!

Checking it out now... will update. (didn't see this on first two pages so assumed it hasn't been posted)

EDIT 1: HUGE cooperative game... EIGHT-PLAYER story-driven campaign along side single-player campaign. SIXTY-PLAYER Competitive modes... HUGE United States Landscapes as backdrops.

EDIT 2: "It is, in short, a tour de force for the untapped might of the PlayStation 3"

EDIT 3: Narrative stays with Hale the whole time... not Rachel. Hale shot down in Iceland, escapes to US and becomes part of program called Sentinels...

EDIT 4: Chameleon.. Stalker with total cloaking ability

EDIT 5: Overcoming stigma that boss encounters don't work in FPS games..

EDIT 6: Eight player coop over PSN, two player local

EDIT 7: CLASSES! Unique character with one of three basic templates... tank with heavy weaponry, special ops for distance (bullseye modified with zoom), medic

I'm READING FAST!

EDIT 8: Online matching... standard difficulty discarded for scaled challenges for team skill..

EDIT 9: Partially randomized geometry... levels are different with each playthrough

EDIT 10: again... 60 players online. want sense of epic b attle.. dont want fast-furious gameplay to be focus, more focused on squad v squad.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Doel said:
Apparently someone on the IGN PS3 boards got the latest issue of GameInformer where the cover story is Resistance 2. Details so far are:

Eight player co-op????!!?!! Surely this is a typo.

60 player online? holy christ man.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Doel said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i mean...if true...

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

HYYPPPPPEE!!!!!!

Smokey

Over at the PS3GB someone has the latest issue of GI w/ Resistance 2 and it sounds F.U.CK.IN.G AMAZING:

Checking it out now... will update. (didn't see this on first two pages so assumed it hasn't been posted)

EDIT 1: HUGE cooperative game... EIGHT-PLAYER story-driven campaign along side single-player campaign. SIXTY-PLAYER Competitive modes... HUGE United States Landscapes as backdrops.

EDIT 2: "It is, in short, a tour de force for the untapped might of the PlayStation 3"

EDIT 3: Narrative stays with Hale the whole time... not Rachel. Hale shot down in Iceland, escapes to US and becomes part of program called Sentinels...

EDIT 7: CLASSES! Unique character with one of three basic templates... tank with heavy weaponry, special ops for distance (bullseye modified with zoom), medic

I'm READING FAST!

EDIT 8: Online matching... standard difficulty discarded for scaled challenges for team skill..

EDIT 9: Partially randomized geometry... levels are different with each playthrough

EDIT 10: again... 60 players online. want sense of epic b attle.. dont want fast-furious gameplay to be focus, more focused on squad v squad

8 PLAYER CO-OP ONLINE, 60 PLAYER ONLINE BATTLES

INSOMNIAC WHAT THA FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

andycapps

Doel said:

I'm READING FAST!

EDIT 10: again... 60 players online. want sense of epic b attle.. dont want fast-furious gameplay to be focus, more focused on squad v squad.

fap fap fap

Maggot9

Banned
Smokey Bones said:
Over at the PS3GB someone has the latest issue of GI w/ Resistance 2 and it sounds F.U.CK.IN.G AMAZING:

I'm READING FAST!

EDIT 10: again... 60 players online. want sense of epic b attle.. dont want fast-furious gameplay to be focus, more focused on squad v squad

8 PLAYER CO-OP ONLINE, 60 PLAYER ONLINE BAT.TLES

INSOMNIAC WHAT THA FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

WHAT

Doel

More:

EDIT 11: will log into smaller four-to-eight man lobbies for each squad... encouraging communication and camaraderie, squad will be tasked witha particular objective. careful level design aims to deliver intense combat zones or small team conflicts that flow within arena of larger battle.

EDIT 12: Dedicated gaming community with stat servers for faster matchmaching than any console game of 2007. full-featured profile pages through myresistance.net will incorporate social networking concepts. open clan and party system to encourage community...no player invites needed.

EDIT 13: Aiming to deliver mobile-phone-quality sound.

tanod

when is my burrito
If I weren't at work, I'd be jumping up and down screaming. THIS SOUNDS SO FUCKING AMAZING! WOWOWOW

Insomniac *bows*

@#(&^@#%(!^(!&^#(%^#(&^!@(&#^#%*)!#_%&!#%(^(@#*

The Jer

HAHHAHAHHHA

AHHHH

AHHHH

*wipes tears from eyes*

I love you guys.

This is unbelievable. I mean, we all knew this game was coming in fall '08, but this, this is incredible. This game is going to be amazing. AMAZING.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
The Jer said:
HAHHAHAHHHA

AHHHH

AHHHH

*wipes tears from eyes*

I love you guys.

This is unbelievable. I mean, we all knew this game was coming in fall '08, but this, this is incredible. This game is going to be amazing. AMAZING.

<3

Wollan

While we have you here..

Big mountain tall kudos and applause to you and the whole of Insomniac.
Expectations blown away absolute.

Big-E

Props to you JS and the rest of Insomniac. I still can't fathom how you guys were able to show so much improvement in such little time.

Teknoman

Anyone thinking about a Resitance MP battleathon in honor of this? Also Insomniac should make it a point to include some kinda headset with Resistance 2.

Seriously, if its one thing that ticks me off about PSN games, it's lack of people using voicechat. Especially coming from SOCOM series and MGO on the PS2, where people used voice chat to the most of it's abilities.

I thought the single-player was just so-so until my brother came over today and we played co-op....it is AWESOME!! Favorite co-op game on PS3 BY FAR!

dalin80

Banned
so by cutting 16 lines which you wouldn't see anyway saved a meg of ram and gave a 2% boost, tis a shame it was a bit late for r1 but anything that helps in r2 is appreciated...

Haven't had a chance to read the thread but:

I'm a little late to the party but I just got the game earlier today. So far, I think it is good- very good. Not quite Halo 3, but I think Insomniac has it in them to make Resistence 2 on par with the best of the FPS genre.

Frankly, I'm impressed that Insomniac has put out what appears at first blush to be a solid 9'er in their first attempt at a FPS in a long time. They are not particularly known as a FPS dev powerhouse.

Any word on who was on the Resistence team? I'm assuming Insomniac has more than one group working on games at a time.

andycapps

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Haven't had a chance to read the thread but:

I'm a little late to the party but I just got the game earlier today. So far, I think it is good- very good. Not quite Halo 3, but I think Insomniac has it in them to make Resistence 2 on par with the best of the FPS genre.

Frankly, I'm impressed that Insomniac has put out what appears at first blush to be a solid 9'er in their first attempt at a FPS in a long time. They are not particularly known as a FPS dev powerhouse.

Any word on who was on the Resistence team? I'm assuming Insomniac has more than one group working on games at a time.

Keep in mind also that this is a launch title and Resistance 2 will be their third title on the system. So they know the nuts and bolts of the system and can squeeze quite a bit more out of it. They have two main teams, AFAIK: a Ratchet team and Resistance team. Then it seems there's a smaller team that works on the overall engine development and whatnot. Seems like it's a pretty big studio, 100-200 people. There are others here that know quite a bit more than I, but welcome to the club. Be sure and play with some Gaf'ers online sometime.

I would assume that Insomniac, like alot of devs, hired on alot of people in order to ramp up for next gen. Did they hire on alot of people who had a background in FPS development?

dalin80

Banned
Just wanted to say that playing through this game again with a dualshock 3 is awesome. I wouldn't have thought such a small thing would add so much feedback and depth to the game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
dalin80 said:
Just wanted to say that playing through this game again with a dualshock 3 is awesome. I wouldn't have thought such a small thing would add so much feedback and depth to the game.

Yeah!

Sorry to bump this, but I didn't think a LTTP thread would be appropriate. I sold Resistance earlier this year, pre-Dual Shock 3 purchase and decided to grab hold of it again a few weeks ago due to not having much on PS3 and the fact it had rumble added.

My opnion of the game has 180'd. The guns now feel much, much meatier and as a result the entire game is a shit-ton more fun. I still have a few issues with it, I certainly don't think it's anywhere near the same level as Halo 3, but god damn I'm glad I came back to the party.

Top Bottom