• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

just beat the game. i must say the game was pretty awesome. there were some frustrating parts towards the end where i died 4 or 5 times before beating it, but that's what makes games fun in retrospect!

can't wait for part 2! now where can i find the GAF clan for online!

Firewire

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:
just beat the game. i must say the game was pretty awesome. there were some frustrating parts towards the end where i died 4 or 5 times before beating it, but that's what makes games fun in retrospect!

PM Katching and request an invite!

Kittonwy

Banned
FrenchMovieTheme said:

Don't forget to go "PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW".
Indifferent2.gif

ChryZ

FrenchMovieTheme said:

7wsulv5.gif

R:FoM mp online is full of win, join now!

TEH-CJ

Banned
I guess the jeep felt kind of, er, weird. Not sure if that was really an issue with physics, but it definitely felt "off".

It had no suspension

Halo 3 beats the shit out of it.

In some ways yes, in others no...

halo still has the best vehicle physics in a fps still to this day, however its still cant match the physics in resistance when it comes to ragdoll animations and amount of physics calculation as a whole.

Fun fact: The spikes from the hedgehog grendade has its own physics calculations. Its not scripted.

Fun fact 2: resistance blends pre scrpited animations with ragdoll physics.

Aumann

this is a dumb question but since i just recently got a ps3 i havent read this massive thread and was looking into getting resistance. so my question is, does this game support southpaw? the demo on psn store doesnt have it so i thought maybe the retail game didnt either. thanks.

The Jer

Aumann said:
this is a dumb question but since i just recently got a ps3 i havent read this massive thread and was looking into getting resistance. so my question is, does this game support southpaw? the demo on psn store doesnt have it so i thought maybe the retail game didnt either. thanks.

You can set up the button configuration pretty much anyway you want to. You have near complete freedom as far as mapping an action to a button. So, I'd assume there is southpaw support. However, I've never tried, so don't take my word for it just yet.
I'm just about to leave for a new years party, so i'll check later.

Basch

Yay! Happy New Year!

I celebrated by playing 39 rounds in Resistance today. :lol A bit excessive. First time though. Just started the online mode today. Went from private to staff sergeant first or second rank. Can't remember. Is that good? I had two requests to join clans. Turned them both down. It felt kinda mean to do it too. It wasn't fun punching in deny. I think one of them asked me again the next match too. :lol

So where was everybody? Didn't see a single GAF member. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
Basch said:
Yay! Happy New Year!

I celebrated by playing 39 rounds in Resistance today. :lol A bit excessive. First time though. Just started the online mode today. Went from private to staff sergeant first or second rank. Can't remember. Is that good? I had two requests to join clans. Turned them both down. It felt kinda mean to do it too. It wasn't fun punching in deny. I think one of asked me again the next match too. :lol

So where was everybody. Didn't see a single GAF member. :D

It's new year, people are probably out. I usually play on clan nights (tues, fri, sat and sun).

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
haven't posted here forever. EVERYBODY HEADS UP, I noticed everyones been saying 30 FPS 720p, keep this up. We all know insomniac keeps an eye on this. Please hear us insomniac give us all the extra eye candy you can without worrying about resolution. 30 FPS looked great on resistance 1 and other games, hell 60 FPS sometimes doesn't fit the type of feel you are going for. Please keep it 720 30fps PLEASE.

missing resistance lately I might hop on.

msdstc said:
haven't posted here forever. EVERYBODY HEADS UP, I noticed everyones been saying 30 FPS 720p, keep this up. We all know insomniac keeps an eye on this. Please hear us insomniac give us all the extra eye candy you can without worrying about resolution. 30 FPS looked great on resistance 1 and other games, hell 60 FPS sometimes doesn't fit the type of feel you are going for. Please keep it 720 30fps PLEASE.

I agree. Leave it at 30fps. I don't think there is any danger that they will try for 1080p.

tanod

when is my burrito
Bearillusion said:
I agree. Leave it at 30fps. I don't think there is any danger that they will try for 1080p.

I agree. The feel of Resistance and UT3 at a locked 30fps is great. COD4 with its 60fps feels weird during online play.

Raist

Banned
Angelcurio said:
Happy new year guys. Lets hope we can see new Resistance 2 info soon :D

Paging jstevenson D:

What was it again... infos on their next project between jan. 1st and 17th ? Can't wait

JB1981

Angelcurio said:
Happy new year guys. Lets hope we can see new Resistance 2 info soon :D
We're really supposed to get some? Down let me down, GAF. Personally I think the game is getting bumped up to 60fps. But we'll see.

jakncoke

Banned
Weren't we suppose to be getting story extensions till the release of RFOM2? Whatever happened to that? Is that still on or did insomniac change there minds?

Basch

Until the other thread gets unlocked, we can chat here guys. I thought we were having pretty good discussion for a while there. That is until sp0rsk came in. That was just... :lol I have never seen so many people accuse others of viral marketing. I just got a PM from one member about it almost a week ago. Insane! Its almost as if some are too insecure that some enjoy a game as much as we do. Anyways, discussions can continue here.

If anybody has any theories for the many questions over from this thread, then they can share them here. :D

The Jer

Aumann said:

Yes. Yes, it does. Does it ever. You can switch just the analog sticks or completely swap the left and right sides of the controller, and anything in-between.

You can map the buttons wherever you want, with few restrictions. The restrictions are all obvious things (you can't map movement to the triangle button). It will also prevent you from doing other things that really wouldn't work. But, other than that, it is extremely versatile. If you want to, you could map jumping and shooting to L3 and R3 (who would do this, I don't know, but you could). There are about ~6 pre-set-up configurations and you can save up to 8 of your own custom configurations that you create.

All games should do this. I don't know why all games don't do this. My only major beef with Halo 3 is that I can't set up the controls how I want them (update, please, please). I don't own a 360, so when I play with my friends I spend at least an hour confused at which buttons do what. I intuitively expect the controls to be something else. I don't like to think about what does what. I want it to be intuitive. And I love the game, but I feel like throwing the controller, I get so frustrated with where the buttons are. I have to re-learn every time I play, since I don't play often enough and I play other games in-between.

Ceb

tanod said:
I agree. The feel of Resistance and UT3 at a locked 30fps is great. COD4 with its 60fps feels weird during online play.

I dunno... my aim is much better in CoD4 MP than it is in Resistance, or at least it feels that way.

Kittonwy

Banned
Ceb said:
I dunno... my aim is much better in CoD4 MP than it is in Resistance, or at least it feels that way.

Does that have anything to do with the fucking auto-aim in the game? In Resistance even leaving a nasty grenade right before you die takes a bit of cunning and skill whereas it's just a cheapass "martyrdom" perk in COD4.
Indifferent2.gif

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
hey guys, we should do a game sometime soon. I was hoping to play more over the holiday, but I've been completely busy in Nebraska.

This weekend is looking kinda crazy for me, but maybe sometime the next one?

Aeon712

jstevenson said:
hey guys, we should do a game sometime soon. I was hoping to play more over the holiday, but I've been completely busy in Nebraska.

This weekend is looking kinda crazy for me, but maybe sometime the next one?
I'm without controllers for the time being :(, I miss Resistance sooo much. My skills have fallen to that of 100x better then M3 :(.

jstevenson said:

This weekend is looking kinda crazy for me, what with me setting up Resistance 2 beta accounts for all the core clan members, but maybe sometime the next one?
Hell of a X-mas gift, you're the best JS :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Wow. Way to put words in my mouth. :lol I am actually going to catch up on a bunch of films, go hiking, and finally head up and see the Griffith Observatory remodel, besides the whole flying back to LA from Nebraska thing...

Don't worry, come next Monday I'll be back in the office at my desk working.

jstevenson said:
Wow. Way to put words in my mouth. :lol I am actually going to catch up on a bunch of films, go hiking, and finally head up and see the Griffith Observatory remodel, besides the whole flying back to LA from Nebraska thing...

well at least someone got a life, unlike most Gaffers. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
kaching said:
better than trying to put screencaps in your hand like surfer girl in that other thread :p

Insomniac's boats got some leaks or whoever they may have given exclusive coverage to does. Watch the European mags. They leak like
my soon to be born child will. It' a matter of days now and I'll have a little chimera occupying my house and hopefully some information on R2 to check out while I'm on vacation.

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
I'm without controllers for the time being :(, I miss Resistance sooo much. My skills have fallen to that of 100x better then M3 :(.

Whatever dude. I owned a couple of days ago. I was number one most of the night (either overall or from our clan). I think I had a good night because i was so happy to see pristine. :)

I would have played tonight, but had to attend to some work related emergencies, read a story to my daughter, got her to sleep, I fell asleep too, and then woke up and turned the PS3 off. I'm going to bed now.

Oh, and you suck.

Kittonwy

Banned
jstevenson said:

Teh dual-shock 3 vibration is STRONG, it's like every single shot for the carbine.
Indifferent2.gif

jstevenson said:
Eh, all I've been doing in Nebraska is playing Rock Band with family. Heh

Ah, spending some time with the family in Nebraska...must be nice not having to worry about going to any of those pesky bowl games, huh, JS?

Go Red Raiders!

Did I just ruin my chances at getting in on the Resistance 2 beta? Oh crap.

Oh well. Don't forget, my PSN is Aeon712, JS. Please don't confuse me with HijoDelLocoRoco, who loves his friends from the Cornhusker State! :lol

M3Freak said:
Whatever dude. I owned a couple of days ago. I was number one most of the night (either overall or from our clan). I think I had a good night because i was so happy to see pristine. :)

I <3 u too, M3.
gladtomeetya.gif

Maggot9

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Does that have anything to do with the fucking auto-aim in the game? In Resistance even leaving a nasty grenade right before you die takes a bit of cunning and skill whereas it's just a cheapass "martyrdom" perk in COD4.
Indifferent2.gif
what..i dont think COD4 online has auto aim...buuuut im pretty sure resistance does.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So I finally decided that I need to finish the Resistance campaign since I've had it since August but haven't played more than 3-4 hrs into it. I got to the cathedral last night. Jesus tap-dancing Christ. As much as I hated dealing with The Flood in Halo 2/3, the Chimera bug things in the cathedral are about a million times worse. I probably tried that stupid fight a dozen times last night and survived the crawlers twice, only to immediately get raped by the two big dudes who come charging out shooting the funky spark guns. I'm playing on normal difficulty and have not had much trouble with the rest of the game so far. Do I just suck?

tanod

when is my burrito
zesty said:
So I finally decided that I need to finish the Resistance campaign since I've had it since August but haven't played more than 3-4 hrs into it. I got to the cathedral last night. Jesus tap-dancing Christ. As much as I hated dealing with The Flood in Halo 2/3, the Chimera bug things in the cathedral are about a million times worse. I probably tried that stupid fight a dozen times last night and survived the crawlers twice, only to immediately get raped by the two big dudes who come charging out shooting the funky spark guns. I'm playing on normal difficulty and have not had much trouble with the rest of the game so far. Do I just suck?

That just happens to be one of the really hard spots.

Tips:
Use the entry way as a choke point for the crawlers, use your grenades and your 40mm from your carbine to take out the steel heads with the augers. Keep your distance.

Top Bottom