• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't think music is one of Resistance's strong points either, but that seems a deliberate choice. They kept it sparse, avoiding its use as general background accompaniment or a way to shift the mood of the game and more as a signal for significant events. I can't say it ever really bothered me since the rest of the audio environment made up for the deficit. It just seems a different design decision, since they had already gone the alternate route with Ratchet and Clank which had a much more distinct musical backdrop.

Wollan

dark10x said:
Another thing that bothers me are the cutscenes. They are perfectly fine, but look a bit...odd.

I've only seen the few cutscenes shown in the 1up show and I liked what I saw. There's one scene involving Rachel(?) in captivity and I really digged it. It's not totally realistic but very tastefully stylistic, especially her expression. I guess it doesn't hurt either that she's a class A cg babe. Someone make a animating gif.

Wollan

JB1981 said:
So the cutscenes are FMV/CG? They look like they could totally be done in-engine. That's kinda disappointing if so.

I don't see what's wrong with that. Instead of needing to load in the scene and it's content the machine just needs to run the fmw.

PhatSaqs

Banned
After changing the controls around i'm having a blast with the game. The placement of the sticks is still a problem for me but I guess I have to cope with it (unless someone makes a 360 to PS3 controller adapter).

Anyway, the story keeps you interested and the game looks awesome mainly indoors. The argument that the game equals and even exceeds GoW in some places is a valid one IMO. The AI isnt great at all but its not brain dead either and keeps the gameplay semi-fresh. The weapon variety is also a major plus. Sweet game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dark10x said:
I agree with this. The lack of a powerful score really does impact the game in a negative way. The music present isn't always bad, though. A lot of the darker, horror segments are backed by some good stuff that fits the atmosphere. Still, that's one of the things that really set Halo apart and is something they need to look at.

I disagree slightly. I don't think the music impacted the game in a negative way at all. IT wasn't OMG amazing, but it got the job done. In no way was I distracted or taking out of the game because of the music. The music fit the mood and hit the right chords where they should have.

I'm not getting this comparison to Halo at all though. I never once thought of Halo while playing this game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Crackerman16 said:
I agree. They need to make A LOT more ranked modes. Not that ranking up should be made a priority (sadly, most FPS games are all about ranking up these days), but only having deathmatch and conversion available in ranked games is pretty retarded, especially for a "next-gen" online FPS game. I'm sure Insomniac will add more to their online feature in the future.

Don't worry about that, the team-based modes will be available eventually. Including more options for size as well as team-based games.

Obviously having more players with PS3s will help too :).

JS

PhatSaqs

Banned
Wollan said:
Without having played the retail product, from what I've seen (heard) so far, a problem with the game is that it lacks musical identity. Besides gameplay/features I think it's the most important element of a story based game. Insomniac really needs to create some awe-inspiring tunes for the sequel that are NOT orchestral ww2/movie themed. Be experimental and use stuff even if it isn't 'appropriate' for the time period. Slightly off topic here but one movie that actually kinda blew me away with it's soundtrack lately was 'The Inside Man'. Echoing trumpets and stuff. Besides the movie itself being great, the soundtrack just lifted the whole experience to the next level for me. I think Resistance could have benefited greatly from having a memorable and experimental soundtrack. I guess they have to balance stuff to make the game feel 'historical' but for the musical side I say screw that. Again though, I haven't played the retail game so I'm not sure if they put some crazy synthesizer pumping stuff in there but from what I've read so far the impressions on the music has seemed rather bland.
Agreed 100%. The music that is there is decent but the game could benefit greatly from an awe-inspiring soundtrack. The empty moments in the game are so hit and miss.

kevm3

Props to Insomniac for continuing to bring extras to the game and ensuring that it is balanced and not just ditching it after the release. Things like that is what builds gamer loyalty.

JB1981

It's the narration that creates the sense of 'detachment' in this game. You're constantly viewing things from a 3rd-person perspective rather than experiencing the world through the eyes of the lead: Hale. I want my games to show me what's happening - not tell me. I guess that goes for any type of artistic medium. I really think it was a poor decision to frame the story in such a way.

Raistlin

PhatSaqs said:
Anyway, the story keeps you interested and the game looks awesome mainly indoors. The argument that the game equals and even exceeds GoW in some places is a valid one IMO. The AI isnt great at all but its not brain dead either and keeps the gameplay semi-fresh. The weapon variety is also a major plus. Sweet game.

In some of the later levels, you may end up rethinking where the game looks the best. Some of the outdoor levels are absurdly good looking.

Kintaro said:
I'm not getting this comparison to Halo at all though. I never once thought of Halo while playing this game.

Well, many of the comparisons to Halo seem to be referring to the fact that like Halo, the game doesn't necessarily do anything particularly new or revolutionary, but instead succeeds by doing a lot of things really well. On that note, I have to say that it also seems to me as if some people are so enslaved by the whole idea of innovation for the sake of innovation that they have forgotten how to appreciate solid game design and great craftsmanship.

LevelNth

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
The AI isnt great at all but its not brain dead either and keeps the gameplay semi-fresh.
Resistance has some damn incredible AI, as the various Chimera types cooperate together differently, and they utilize various tactics such as flanking, flushing, covering fire, etc; I'd say it's just about on par (or close to it) with Halo. I swear, AI critiquing is the most random and inconsistent aspect within game reviews, I honestly don't get how reviewers didn't talk about this more.

And speaking of which, I'm pretty close to the end now, and the more I play, the more I wonder just how far many reviewers actually got in this game. It is undeniably one of the best launch titles I've ever played (and probably ever made), and easily one of the most polished and accomplished console FPS's. I really think a lot of critics dropped the ball on this; the game deserved massive critical praise, and it's a damn shame it didn't get it. The visuals especially aren't seeing the level of appreciation they deserve. Yes, the first 25% is no more than very solid at a consistent framerate, but the rest, especially the final third, is some of the best looking visuals ever put to the screen (and the framerate never drops!). In quite a few respects, it outdoes GoW (which many see as the best looking game available today), and for a launch title, that's really saying something, and goes to show the power of the system. And yes, the snow fall must be seen to be truly appreciated. It's stunning.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just finished it.

The main descriptor seems to be "solid" when talking about this game. I think that's accurate, but really the game is just *so* solid, *so* polished for a launch title especially that I can't help but applaud it.

Before the game came out I was concerned about how most of the guns are energy weapons, and that there might be a problem with immersion-related feedback, but all the guns feel excellent, and they're all cool and all useful.

The graphics do get better and better as the game progresses, but personally I didn't have an issue with how the game looked towards the beginning. While the game is a linear FPS, the presentation of the levels is usually extremely expansive, with so much background imagery that you don't get tunnel vision. That definitely helps the game graphically. Few of the individual elements may make you say "wow" (though some of the creature designs, up close, might), but there is so much going on on-screen that when it all adds up I did end up very impressed.

All this at a rock solid framerate and with minimal loading, plus a full multiplayer mode that I haven't tapped into yet. IN A LAUNCH GAME! The complete package of Resistance really hits it out of the park I think, and I haven't seen a single player FPS experience be this polished and all-around great in a very long time. HL2 in comparison had boring guns and many technical issues. F.E.A.R. of course had terrible level design (though great guns and great enemy AI). Doom 3, lol. Far Cry fell apart when the trigens hit. etc.

Mm, perhaps I'm caught up in launch fervor or something but there is nothing significant for me to complain about with it. Maybe some overly long spacing between checkpoints in a couple spots, and uhhhhhhhhh maybe the flow of the game could be improved with a different way of handling the cutscenes, but that's about it.

Manp

just a question, is the reloading so fast with all the weapons?

i mean, with the first two weapons in the game reloading takes about one second if not less, it seems to me that it's barely part of the fight.
you just keep firing and sometimes there is this little pause for the reload, but it's not like it is something you have to really take into account when fighting enemies

that's something i was thinking while watching Blim's video, i've never actually played the game so i want some opinions

:)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, the reloading is fast on all the weapons, and they have large clips. Makes sense within the design structure of the game, because you can switch weapons at any time and having long reload times would just force you to swap weapons rather than reload.

Reloading can be an important tactical element in FPS games, but I didn't miss that aspect in Resistance. Works fine with fast reloading.

LevelNth

Banned
Speaking of reloading and the game being so polished, did anyone notice that because you load one slug at a time into the shotgun, you can interrupt the reloading sequence and fire off a shot?

Shit like that is just cool, and Insomniac deserves praise for paying such an insane level of attention.

Tieno

EviLore said:
Before the game came out I was concerned about how most of the guns are energy weapons, and that there might be a problem with immersion-related feedback, but all the guns feel excellent, and they're all cool and all useful.
That's one of my concerns too. I don't care much for energy weapons because of the reason you just said. So I'm hopeful that they'll probably feel good to me too.

Manp

EviLore said:
Yeah, the reloading is fast on all the weapons, and they have large clips. Makes sense within the design structure of the game, because you can switch weapons at any time and having long reload times would just force you to swap weapons rather than reload.

Reloading can be an important tactical element in FPS games, but I didn't miss that aspect in Resistance. Works fine with fast reloading.

oh thanks for the answer

you know, the tactical aspect of reloading is something i really like in a fps (and i loved it in GoW)... not saying it's a deal breaker but it's probably something i'll miss in Resistance

Kittonwy

Banned
LevelNth said:
Resistance has some damn incredible AI, as the various Chimera types cooperate together differently, and they utilize various tactics such as flanking, flushing, covering fire, etc; I'd say it's just about on par (or close to it) with Halo. I swear, AI critiquing is the most random and inconsistent aspect within game reviews, I honestly don't get how reviewers didn't talk about this more.

And speaking of which, I'm pretty close to the end now, and the more I play, the more I wonder just how far many reviewers actually got in this game. It is undeniably one of the best launch titles I've ever played (and probably ever made), and easily one of the most polished and accomplished console FPS's. I really think a lot of critics dropped the ball on this; the game deserved massive critical praise, and it's a damn shame it didn't get it. The visuals especially aren't seeing the level of appreciation they deserve. Yes, the first 25% is no more than very solid at a consistent framerate, but the rest, especially the final third, is some of the best looking visuals ever put to the screen (and the framerate never drops!). In quite a few respects, it outdoes GoW (which many see as the best looking game available today), and for a launch title, that's really saying something, and goes to show the power of the system. And yes, the snow fall must be seen to be truly appreciated. It's stunning.

I'm kind of delighted that the game is getting very good word-of-mouth right now.

Raistlin

Manp said:
oh thanks for the answer

you know, the tactical aspect of reloading is something i really like in a fps (and i loved it in GoW)... not saying it's a deal breaker but it's probably something i'll miss in Resistance

There are definitely some larger-scale battles that reloading can be an issue tactically. If you just run and gun, you're going to be taking hits while reloading. You do need to use cover in this game.

jstevenson said:
Don't worry about that, the team-based modes will be available eventually. Including more options for size as well as team-based games.

Sweetness. I hope "eventually" is like within a month or so. Although you guys might release it a bit before Europe launch, just to keep things fresh...

jstevenson said:
Obviously having more players with PS3s will help too :).

Hehe, that's one big problem with online right now. Not enough people have PS3s (to PLAY) and those that do might not have Resistance and/or online capabilities. I sure hope that almost everyone who has a PS3 the first year or so gets Resistance and play online with it. Right now, it's basically only the hardcore gamers that are playing Resistance online. ><

Onix said:
There are definitely some larger-scale battles that reloading can be an issue tactically. If you just run and gun, you're going to be taking hits while reloading. You do need to use cover in this game.

Yeah, and you'll get your ass handed to you online if you don't know when to reload (ie. during a firefight, going into an engagement, or surrounded by others). I've learned that the hard way, lol.

LevelNth said:
Speaking of reloading and the game being so polished, did anyone notice that because you load one slug at a time into the shotgun, you can interrupt the reloading sequence and fire off a shot?

Shit like that is just cool, and Insomniac deserves praise for paying such an insane level of attention.

Not to take anything away from Insomniac, but that's not exactly unique.

Crackerman16 said:
Right now, it's basically only the hardcore gamers that are playing Resistance online. ><

Is that a bad thing though? Granted that it makes it harder to fill up large matches, but popularity does not necessarily equal a better online experience.

JB1981

**** this game is getting both more amazing and more difficult.
Code:
That 2nd tank level was AWESOME. The scale is just fantastic and I love the snow effects.

Question: What's the best way to take down the Titans? Their Augers ALWAYS mess me up. I hate them.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
JB1981 said:
**** this game is getting both more amazing and more difficult.
Code:
That 2nd tank level was AWESOME. The scale is just fantastic and I love the snow effects.

Question: What's the best way to take down the Titans? Their Augers ALWAYS mess me up. I hate them.

You realize you are using code and not spoiler, correct?

Kittonwy

Banned
Alrighty, I'm ready to get cheesy, cheddar gorge here I come!!!
angry.gif

AltogetherAndrews said:
Is that a bad thing though? Granted that it makes it harder to fill up large matches, but popularity does not necessarily equal a better online experience.

Well, the general idea is... the more players in an online game, the better (usually). It's not exactly fun playing with the same players all the time. Also, it takes longer to get matched up with players if there simply isn't that many people on.

This will all change though as more and more people get PS3/Resistance. I'm not all that worried about Resistance's online community in the upcoming months. But as of right now, it's not exactly all that large.

Question to those who finished the game
How do I kill the damn giant spider that spews mines at you? This is the checkpoint immediately after the jeep in snow

Deepblue

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Not to take anything away from Insomniac, but that's not exactly unique.

In fact I can't think of a single FPS that DOESN'T do that. In fact, if it didn't it would make the shotgun horribly gimped.

FPS newbie?

Bebpo

Banned
BruceWayne said:
Question to those who finished the game
How do I kill the damn giant spider that spews mines at you? This is the checkpoint immediately after the jeep in snow

rockets? Sniper Rifle? Anything powerful?

Striek

Pictures look great. Is there any way to tell how many people are playing Resistance right now? I'm not exactly buoyed with hope and anticipation that the stand-out launch title - and one of the premier online titles of 2006 - is reportedly lacking in players :/

Top Bottom