• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Striek said:
Pictures look great. Is there any way to tell how many people are playing Resistance right now? I'm not exactly buoyed with hope and anticipation that the stand-out launch title - and one of the premier online titles of 2006 - is reportedly lacking in players :/
not sure about how many people are playing, but I have no problem finding filled servers and high count ranked matches.

Azrael

Striek said:
Pictures look great. Is there any way to tell how many people are playing Resistance right now? I'm not exactly buoyed with hope and anticipation that the stand-out launch title - and one of the premier online titles of 2006 - is reportedly lacking in players :/

It isn't a problem at all finding games for free-for-all modes (Conversion and Deathmatch). If I search for a ranked free-for-all game, I almost always get into one in a matter of seconds with a decent number of other players (around 10-16 usually).

Team-based modes are another matter though, at least as far as ranked games go. The few times I've tried to get into a ranked team match, it ends up being like 6 people, and one person inevitably quits right after the match starts, screwing over their team. Probably more people are playing team modes unranked so they can play with their clan though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Still making my way through the single player and I can't believe how good it is. This is easily on par if not better than Half-Life 2. It's that damn good. Oddly enough, it feels more like a PC FPS than a console game (with some Halo-like mechanics thrown in for good measure).

I just can't fathom how Insomniac pulled this off. They've been doing character based platform games for so many years and then to turn around and release an FPS that is as high quality as the best the genre has to offer at a system launch is just incredible.

I am also really impressed with the pacing. With both Half-Life 2 and the Halo games, there were most certainly segments that didn't do a whole lot for me. I loved to replay HL2, for instance, but there were certain chapters I would always skip as I just didn't care for them. The Halo games, of course, both had weak points as well. Most FPS games really do, when you stop and think about it. Yet, I can't point to a single segment in Resistance and label it as weak. The entire game has been 100% awesome. I replayed the first segments yesterday (up to the first stalker) as a friend wanted to see it, and I realized that the early stuff is actually very solid as well (and looks very nice too). The whole game is AAA and it only gets better.

Gears of War was really the same way. The game was literally perfect from start to finish (with the first chapter feeling weak during my first playthrough as well, only to discover later that it actually does kick ass). To receive two world class shooters in one month is just wonderful.

As a launch title, Resistance is every bit as good as Halo was back in 2001.

Amen

Hey guys Im taking tons of HD footage this weekend but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good upload site I can throw all this stuff just in case I get to many hits on my server?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BruceWayne said:
Question to those who finished the game
How do I kill the damn giant spider that spews mines at you? This is the checkpoint immediately after the jeep in snow
I use combination of rocket launcher and the Auger. Soften 'em up with the rocket launcher, then use Auger's secondary fire to set up a shield and then just stand and deliver with the primary fire.

Dahbomb

BruceLeeRoy said:
Amen

Hey guys Im taking tons of HD footage this weekend but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good upload site I can throw all this stuff just in case I get to many hits on my server?
You can probably try making an account on Playsyde.com. You can also have the videos be available for streaming on it. BlimBlim is the expert at Playsyde.

Holy SHIT!!! :0

305471694_6a51c9b6f7_b.jpg

And another HOLY SHIT!!!

305463679_3ebac6d3d3_b.jpg

Dahbomb

Gamepro published a similar article, they declared it a draw between the two games.

You can make either game the "winner" in a comparison, it depends on the factors you are comparing. If you put in stuff like Longevity of single player, Weapon repertoire, Story delivery and Multiplayer options than Resistance has Gears beat hands down. On the other hand if you put in stuff like Graphics, Sound Design and Game Play originality (within its genre) then Gears wins hands down.

JB1981

Amir0x said:
holy shit, Resistance actually WON? :eek:

I agree with many of those points with the exception of the multiplayer. Resistance SP is vastly superior to its MP, imo. And Gears' MP is the best I've ever experienced in my life.

Tieno

dark10x said:
Still making my way through the single player and I can't believe how good it is. This is easily on par if not better than Half-Life 2. It's that damn good. Oddly enough, it feels more like a PC FPS than a console game (with some Halo-like mechanics thrown in for good measure).

I just can't fathom how Insomniac pulled this off. They've been doing character based platform games for so many years and then to turn around and release an FPS that is as high quality as the best the genre has to offer at a system launch is just incredible.

I am also really impressed with the pacing. With both Half-Life 2 and the Halo games, there were most certainly segments that didn't do a whole lot for me. I loved to replay HL2, for instance, but there were certain chapters I would always skip as I just didn't care for them. The Halo games, of course, both had weak points as well. Most FPS games really do, when you stop and think about it. Yet, I can't point to a single segment in Resistance and label it as weak. The entire game has been 100% awesome. I replayed the first segments yesterday (up to the first stalker) as a friend wanted to see it, and I realized that the early stuff is actually very solid as well (and looks very nice too). The whole game is AAA and it only gets better.

Gears of War was really the same way. The game was literally perfect from start to finish (with the first chapter feeling weak during my first playthrough as well, only to discover later that it actually does kick ass). To receive two world class shooters in one month is just wonderful.

Thanks for the impressions! Some people who compare Halo with other games I often feel that they don't really appreciate the genious of Halo1/2 like I do but I know you do! Very eager to play this game and see if it truly is as great as some people say here. Have to wait till at least next summer though :(.

Just saw this pic posted by Wollan in another thread. It's amazing, somehow it reminds of Lothlorien in Lord of The Rings (that tree city in Fellowship of The Ring were Galadriel and the wood elves live).
gaf1ks3.jpg

Mmmkay

Since the other thread got closed, I suppose I'll put this here. Those numbers in that Resistance file list are the LBA indices and each block is 2kb. This means that each padding file equals 32MB, making is a total of 7GB of FMV with 1.9GB of padding. Audio, in all its localisations, totals 2.24GB. The remainder is the archived game assets totalling 6.12GB.

imperium

Man, what an awesome, awesome game. I got my PS3 on Friday morning and finished Resistance early Sunday morning. I never intended to finish the game so quickly, but I just couldn’t put it down. Very surprise on just how polished and smooth this game is. My only real complaints are the underdeveloped story and the meh last level.

Great job Insomniac, I can’t wait for a sequel.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
holy shit, Resistance actually WON? :eek:

not that this can't be someones opinion or anything like that as it's entirely plausible that people can prefer Resistance to GoW or vice versa, but please temper any shock with the fact that this comparison was written by Chris "Elite Beat Agents is utter garbage" Buffa.

BuddyC

DCharlie said:
not that this can't be someones opinion or anything like that as it's entirely plausible that people can prefer Resistance to GoW or vice versa, but please temper any shock with the fact that this comparison was written by Chris "Elite Beat Agents is utter garbage" Buffa.
Actually, the entire site is broken right now, so every article is credited to Buffa.

DCharlie

Actually, the entire site is broken right now, so every article is credited to Buffa.

yeah, just checked the glowing review of Elite Beat Agents - apparently written by Chris... :D

but regardless - it's not impossible for someone to prefer one AAA game over another AAA, so not really surprising.

If you can, people should play both.

JB1981

Kittonwy said:
I just got to
Angel's Lair
, and I'm wuving every minute of it.
gladtomeetya.gif

It's like something straight out of H.R. Giger's nightmares. This game gets soooo good near the end. I'm loving the weapons - Auger owns.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:
It's like something straight out of H.R. Giger's nightmares. This game gets soooo good near the end. I'm loving the weapons - Auger owns.

OMG I just finished the game, SO AWESOME.

SO

AWESOME

It's not that the game isn't challenging, but it's always manageable, there was NEVER any kind of clunkiness in terms of controls and level layout that one can find with other games that hurts one's chance of surviving through the level, everything can be done on the fly instead of going into a level and having to basically approach things a single way. So awesome.
gladtomeetya.gif

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
finished the game last night. the last three areas are amazing -- i played through them in essentially one sitting, and strung together they're one of the most memorable game experiences i've had in a while. for whatever reason i wasn't expecting much from resistance, but it's really the ps3 game, and it's quite possibly the best fps on a console -- i hesitate to put it ahead of halo simply because it borrows so much from halo, but leaving originality out of the reckoning, it might be the better game. i'm tempted to replay it on hard, but uh...i should really finish genji. :(

methane47

drohne said:
i hesitate to put it ahead of halo simply because it borrows so much from halo, but leaving originality out of the reckoning, it might be the better game.

hmm I really hope you're not implying that Halo was original..:D ?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
whatever. a lot of halo's design decisions have proved influential, and resistance borrows quite a few of them. it often feels like halo, though of course it brings ideas of its own to the table.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
dark10x said:
They laid some groundwork for themselves in the R&C series. They started experimenting with modern console FPS controls back in R&C2 and did a good job of emulating the standard MP gametypes of this genre in R&C 3. Along the way, they were refining the games into more action-oriented affairs and of course built up a lot of experience balancing large weapon catalogs. All of this would be of great benefit in tackling an FPS.

On top of that, RFOM isn't a rush-job launch title since it got at least 2 solid years of development time behind it.

All of the boards I usually peek around that are full of anti Sony and anti Bluray people are all over this like it is some sort of holiday.
All and all I couldn't care less, Resistance is by far the most fun I have had with an FPS in a long time and just keeps getting better.
I am pretty sure it will get cleared up anyway.

Wollan

Mmmkay @ Beyond3D posted this:

******* I salute you and your journalistic integrity!

Not only have they misreported the GAF thread, they also ignored Ted Price's more recent comments about Resistance shipping at around 16GB. If you're not interested in learning what the actual disc usage is, please look away now:

The numbers associated with each file are the LBA index, each LBA has a block size = 2kb. Determining the difference between one LBA index with the next indicates the number of blocks a given file occupies. This means that:

Padding file size = 32MB.
Total padding = 1.9GB.
Total FMV = 7GB.
Audio = 2.24GB. (605MB for music and English language only)
Game Assets = 6.12GB.

edit: test: *******

2nd edit: Haha, banned.

3rd edit: VVV Knew it was you. Didn't knew you posted this here. :)

PhatSaqs

Banned
kaching said:
On top of that, RFOM isn't a rush-job launch title since it got at least 2 solid years of development time behind it.
This is pretty clear. The game is just about as polished as you get and it's a launch game. Good shit.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm in
London.
I'm out in the snow, but it isn't snowing yet. How much longer?

I finished Zelda earlier today and I want to knock resistance out of the picture now. Then I can focus on my life again. :)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
BuddyC said:

That's true, but Chris Buffa did actually write the Gears vs. Resistance piece as well as call EBA "garbage" in the 2nd half of the EBA review.

EDIT: That's interesting, Buffa's take on EBA has been removed from the review. It was originally a brief paragraph tacked onto the end of the actual review written by John Benyamine.

DCharlie

EDIT: That's interesting, Buffa's take on EBA has been removed from the review. It was originally a brief paragraph tacked onto the end of the actual review written by John Benyamine.

yeah, i noticed that too :)

I read the Gears vs Resistance piece though and it's actually not a bad read. I don't have any particular issue with it even if i do prefer one over the other.

I can say it till i'm blue in the face - if you have the means to play both these games, you really owe it to yourself to do so, which you prefer will come down to personal preference and i've pretty much had it up to here *points at throat* with GoW v Res comparisons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just did the level where you had to defend position while one team tried to
wire tower bridge
. I must have died 500 times. But it was SO FUN.

Top Bottom