• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I just did the level where you had to defend position while one team tried to
wire tower bridge
. I must have died 500 times. But it was SO FUN.

By the time I
killed the second stalker, when the widowmaker showed up I was like WTF I have like one bar left, when I finally killed that thing it was like I'd had enough, and the level was over
, the pacing is so good.:lol

sigh.........really want to play this game but looks like I won't be able until next year....tax return season ya know :)

Glad to hear everyone is digging it and I've also gotten a HL2 vibe from it. It definetly looks like it has a more compelling narrative than Gears

Quick question, compared to playing FPS's on previous PS2 dual shock, how is the SIXAXIS analog response? Is it up there with something like the 360's analogs?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Angel's Lair
is really too hard. I couldn't beat it. I had been playing for long enough and decided to take a break. Grenades don't seem effective against the little wall crawling guys and I just don't have the time right now to repeat 10 minute sections.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I couldn't beat it. I had been playing for long enough and decided to take a break. Grenades don't seem effective against the little wall crawling guys and I just don't have the time right now to repeat 10 minute sections.

try :

1) bullseye the feckers! Then just take cover and shoot
2) sniper rifle with zoomed slowmo action
3) Just throw in a left-bumber Hail Storm shot ! :)
4) Save your grenades for the regular footsoldiers - there are a fair few in that section

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Regardless of all the other console advocacy fueled rhetoric, I think it's fair to say this is Insomniac's best game to date, which by itself is no small feat. At a friggin' console launch no less.

It really comes down to nailing the fundamentals - it never gets boring taking out Chimera of various shapes and sizes...or appreciating your handiwork at the end of a pitched battle.

I've started a second playthrough on the harder difficulty and besides the new set of weapons you get, there's other little details I'm seeing that I completely missed the first time around. Example:
I didn't know the Menials could throw those explosive spheres at you!

I personally like the way the story is handled. Bog standard alien invasion of the infestation/infection variety but the 3rd person narrative from the perspective of someone on the outside as well as the player perspective of what actually happened as seen through the gameplay does keep it from feeling wholly derivative. Helps that the narrator is a female with a rich, British accent which can dress up even the most ordinary story as something special :). But I do think they've done a great job with the story overall.

DCharlie

a female with a rich, British accent which can dress up even the most ordinary story as something special

that's how i've been dressing up my dull existance for the last 30 years! ... well, despite the female part of course! ;)

When i first played the game through, i didn't feel overly wow'ed by the first level - it was good, but i didn't think it was utterly amazing : what interested me is that when i restarted a second run, i was blown away by various details i'd not seen the first time : People getting blown side ways, someone getting hit by a stray sign post, etc...

It's kind of like Chromehounds i guess - the more you see it , the more you notice the little things that make it such a nicely detailed world.

Bebpo

Banned
DCharlie said:
try :

1) bullseye the feckers! Then just take cover and shoot
2) sniper rifle with zoomed slowmo action
3) Just throw in a left-bumber Hail Storm shot ! :)
4) Save your grenades for the regular footsoldiers - there are a fair few in that section

Yeah, uh #2 saved my ass for A LOT of the later game areas :p

It's especially useful as it 1 hit kills
Titans
^_^

Kittonwy

Banned
kaching said:
Regardless of all the other console advocacy fueled rhetoric, I think it's fair to say this is Insomniac's best game to date, which by itself is no small feat. At a friggin' console launch no less.

It really comes down to nailing the fundamentals - it never gets boring taking out Chimera of various shapes and sizes...or appreciating your handiwork at the end of a pitched battle.

I've started a second playthrough on the harder difficulty and besides the new set of weapons you get, there's other little details I'm seeing that I completely missed the first time around. Example:

I personally like the way the story is handled. Bog standard alien invasion of the infestation/infection variety but the 3rd person narrative from the perspective of someone on the outside as well as the player perspective of what actually happened as seen through the gameplay does keep it from feeling wholly derivative. Helps that the narrator is a female with a rich, British accent which can dress up even the most ordinary story as something special :). But I do think they've done a great job with the story overall.

The part about the
sphere-throwing menials
I noticed on my first playthrough, that was definitely a nice touch, those things are fun to shoot at too!!! I dig the cutscenes, but probably not as much the black-and-white photos, I wonder if they don't use those maybe the cutscenes would flow into the gameplay more nicely, that and the fact that they separated the game into chapters were the things I thought they could have done better, but hey, ti's a launch game. On one hand I think having the whole thing just one contiguous experience would have benefitted the presentation, on the other hand, having start screen in-between definitely gave me time to grab a beer or go to the can. All in all it was a most enjoyable game and I'm so glad I get to play it instead of having to wait, it was worth it. When I was in the manchester level I didn't really feel that way but by the time I finished the game I was definitely glad I have a PS3.

One thing is that the levels really have some nice barrels and things positioned to take advantage of, even though a lot of the time I did take the hard road instead of hitting a sphere and watch things go boom.

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Angel's Lair
is really too hard. I couldn't beat it. I had been playing for long enough and decided to take a break. Grenades don't seem effective against the little wall crawling guys and I just don't have the time right now to repeat 10 minute sections.

Too hard? Come on, if I can do it, you definitely can. You can do-it!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the sniper rifle and the various grenades were my best friends through those later levels -- your enemies by that point are too strong to just rush and gun down. i thought the difficulty was really well-balanced; i didn't die much, but i was usually close to dying, and i always had to play cautiously. i think it helped the experience that i wasn't interrupted too often, at least for that first playthrough.

DCharlie

seriously, nothing is more satisfying that a well placed grenade in resistance... especially on narrowish parts of later levels where they all come rushing down on you, with limited cover.

As Scottish people would say : "Stitch that , ya pricks!"

And the sphere grenades make the best sound ever...

Also, Mr. Resistance creators!!!

I noticed from looking at the maps of the invasion that Cumbria was left unscathed!!!
Is this... part of the story? Was my jest about Cumbria being part of a wider hidden plot true?! :O Big up the Whitehaven massive! Actually - that would be an awesome level... Dockside to the trainstation which has a tunnel through most of the town which leads out into open countryside with lots of old ruined farm buildings! ;)

Also - i appreciate the humour - just wanted to know if i was reading too much into some bits - especially this one....

there is a part in one of the facilities where a menial enemy jumps out on you from an alcove... when you look round to where he came from, there is a seat there... I LOL'ed but i just wanted to know if it was intentional!

Anyone else notice anything else funny? a lot of the posters are awesome - the piles cream one for instance, and "tonight at the Cassienda" with "Jerry and the Peacemakers" was also good.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just beat it. ****ING UNBELIEVABLE.

The final battle with the music blasting and chaos going on ALL ****ING AROUND YOU.

Can ted price come on here to accept his award? Fantastic game, insomniac. Best shooter I've played since Halo.

Last level is mindblowing.

Agent X

I finally got to try a few multiplayer games earlier tonight. I saw BobTheFork on my very first game; he lit me up like a Christmas tree all throughout the game. :lol

I'm a bit bothered by how so few people are using headsets in this game. In about 5 or 6 games, I only encountered two people that I could tell were using headsets. One was very muffled and I couldn't understand anything he was saying. The other was one of my teammates in a Capture the Flag game, who came through loud and clear. We were able to work out some good strategies on the fly while playing, and as a result our team was quite successful. :D

no_to_co

ARGH, this game is much longer than I anticipated. I was hoping to beat it today. I finished GOW in less than a day altogether. But Resistance seems to be at least 50% longer. I just started the
rooftop
section. How much of the game is left?

Kittonwy

Banned
no_to_co said:
ARGH, this game is much longer than I anticipated. I was hoping to beat it today. I finished GOW in less than a day altogether. But Resistance seems to be at least 50% longer. I just started the
rooftop
section. How much of the game is left?

There's quite a bit left. It is pretty long but for some reason I never felt it being dragged on or anything nor was I ever frustrated even though some parts were rather challenging.

kaching said:

great post. I couldn't agree more. :)
This game is marvelous... and I've never been a huge FPS fan before.

J-Rzez

Just finished the game tonight... I'm not going into a long speech on it or anything, but I'm gonna sum it up as best as I can...

This became my favorite shooter of all time... Surpassed my expectations on every level...

Halo 3 doesn't have to worry about out-doing Gears, but it has to beat Resistance in my book... It has all the magic of Halo, with some special touches ontop of that... I have to wonder if some of these guys that say Gears makes me wanna touch myself and forget about everything else actually played through Resistance? Probably not...

Yes, I noticed the posters too... hehe...

Yes the snow is completely amazing...

Yes the vehicles parts are awesome...

Yes, best sounding game ever...

Yes it's the best online experience to date (minus that nobody uses headsets)

Ted Price, J, and any other Insomniac Games fellows on here, Epic launch game, Game of the Year... Vastly underrated...

Way to leave the story a big question mark at the end, guess we'll be seeing Hale again in a sequel? Gotta take back mother Russia I guess huh?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my one little disappointment:
i thought we would get to fight cloven! actually i didn't collect enough intel to clearly know what cloven are, but i picture preternaturally agile russian-speaking semichimera who behave unpredictably and laugh and make inhuman noises and mutilate the people they've killed. in the sequel, i guess!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
Anyone else notice anything else funny? a lot of the posters are awesome - the piles cream one for instance, and "tonight at the Cassienda" with "Jerry and the Peacemakers" was also good.
One of the skill points involves
teabagging
which I never would have guessed and never would have just done it naturally.

Deepblue

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Just finished the game tonight... I'm not going into a long speech on it or anything, but I'm gonna sum it up as best as I can...

This became my favorite shooter of all time... Surpassed my expectations on every level...

Halo 3 doesn't have to worry about out-doing Gears, but it has to beat Resistance in my book... It has all the magic of Halo, with some special touches ontop of that... I have to wonder if some of these guys that say Gears makes me wanna touch myself and forget about everything else actually played through Resistance? Probably not...

Yes, I noticed the posters too... hehe...

Yes the snow is completely amazing...

Yes the vehicles parts are awesome...

Yes, best sounding game ever...

Yes it's the best online experience to date (minus that nobody uses headsets)

Ted Price, J, and any other Insomniac Games fellows on here, Epic launch game, Game of the Year... Vastly underrated...

Way to leave the story a big question mark at the end, guess we'll be seeing Hale again in a sequel? Gotta take back mother Russia I guess huh?

Have you played Gears?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BTW, when talking about the ending of the game, you guys did watch through the credits roll, right?

And once you finish the game, you can rewatch all of the cinemas for the game. You'll find there's an alternate take of one of the very last cinemas that's been added to the list, which is pretty humorous.

Maridia

mr_nothin said:
Ever play Resistance?

Probably not. PS3's pretty rare.

It was stupid to mention Gears or Halo 3 in the first place. That said, hopefully Bungie is inspired to put a little more work into the single player experience in Halo 3.

Flo_Evans

so whats up with the GAF resistance clan? I keep getting random clan invites from people that I have to turn down cause I want to join the GAF one.... but there doesn't seem to be a way to search for a clan? someone has to invite you?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
anybody know where to get the cloven mp skins? I have seen 1 or 2 skins on servers I did not recognize, but I'm not sure if they were unlockable skins or not. The resistance stat site says the downloadable content is down so I'm wondering if they were up at one time.

Alias03

Select Mulitplayer->Online Game from the main menu. After passing the aggrement and loading screens, select Options->Soldier Loadout from the Online Game menu. Bring up the Unlock Code keypad by pressing start on the Loadout screen. Type in your 16 digit code, the 4 blocks of 4 characters can be seperated by spaces or dashes. (I didn't use spaces and it worked fine.)

Cloven Skin
(Body,Standard Uniform,
Standard Head) 411f 8522 021f 1b76

Cloven Bearded Head 85fb 7f6c 09d5 1caa

Cloven Helmet 9e0f 3a8c 07f9 05b9

Cloven Bandana 19d0 15b2 e170 3c78

Cloven Helmet w/ Bandana c1ef bb04 798d 7070

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Next person to invoke, or get involved in, a Gears Vs. Resistance argument during a Gears/Resistance thread gets a holiday away from GAF.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
SilentHill said:
Select Mulitplayer->Online Game from the main menu. After passing the aggrement and loading screens, select Options->Soldier Loadout from the Online Game menu. Bring up the Unlock Code keypad by pressing start on the Loadout screen. Type in your 16 digit code, the 4 blocks of 4 characters can be seperated by spaces or dashes. (I suggest using a usb keyboard.)

Cloven Skin
(Body,Standard Uniform,

sweet, thanks. where are the codes from anyways? :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Azrael said:
The codes to unlock Cloven skins are uniquely generated for each account. You have to register yourself to get them.
I'm registered on the site, but it says "Sorry, Unlockables unavailable." when I go to my profile, I dont see any codes. :(

edit: nevermind, had to validate my account with my ID. :p
works now. :)

Currently in Manchester on hard mode... this hard difficulty really isn't messing around. I'm dying a lot but it's incredibly fun coming up with the right tactics and weapon combos to get through each checkpoint. The
leaper
attack in the
Church
was probably the toughest part of the game for me yet. I don't know how difficult this section is on normal but I got ripped to shreds by these guys. Finally figured out to retreat to the back room so I could bottleneck the
little swarming bastards
and splatter 'em with grenades and the Bullseye. Seeing all those remains on the floor was a bit too satisfying. :) From what I'm reading it sounds like I'm not even hitting the really challenging stuff yet... I'm in trouble aren't I?

kevm3

Vennt said:
Next person to invoke, or get involved in, a Gears Vs. Resistance argument during a Gears/Resistance thread gets a holiday away from GAF.

Thank goodness. That discussion got tired a LONG time ago.

DCharlie

From what I'm reading it sounds like I'm not even hitting the really challenging stuff yet... I'm in trouble aren't I?

that was hard on regular too - but yeah, looking back at that segment, you will laugh at how easy it was...

... if you make it.

If I remember correctly Halo grew into what it is today more from word of mouth than reveiws etc and its sales had long legs as a result. Anyone else feel that Resistance could do a similar thing?

Meh, just not working for me atm. I get nothing but the same generic sign up page... no option to link accounts or anything.

I also noticed that I wasn't paying attention and signed up with a login that is only five characters (still let me though). Trying again with a longer one.

Dont feel bad, took me two days to get it to work.
I ended up clearing cache and clearing cookies a few times and finally when I hit "my profile" it took me to the right place.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Flo_Evans said:
so whats up with the GAF resistance clan? I keep getting random clan invites from people that I have to turn down cause I want to join the GAF one.... but there doesn't seem to be a way to search for a clan? someone has to invite you?

I PMed White Man (who was organizing it I think), but haven't gotten word back...

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Bearillusion said:
If I remember correctly Halo grew into what it is today more from word of mouth than reveiws etc and its sales had long legs as a result. Anyone else feel that Resistance could do a similar thing?
Edges 10/10 score definitely made people take notice though, the rest is history.

You didnt buy yours for $30AU did you?

I got through it Saturday night after a couple beers in me. Im happy the playstation has a great FPS in its lineup. Online is great and always fun, and blasting Bad_Boy in the face was fun aswell. One question though. The points used to level up, are those the points you get at the end of the match? Do those only get applied when you win the match or do they come from somewhere else? Now on to Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

Safe Bet

Banned
SilentHill said:
Cloven Skin
(Body,Standard Uniform,

If I understand correctly, Codes are unique to each player...

Make sure to follow the 'process' to generate your own codes.

Top Bottom