• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

JB1981

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Am I the only one who is still having HUGE problems with my EXP updating? It hasn't moved in over a week! Not that I've been playing much this week, honestly, as I just can't care anymore now that NO MATTER WHAT I DO... nothing is ever recorded. It isn't even recording kills anymore, much less everything else that should be coming with it.

I'll check tonight but I think I LOST XP points a few days ago. I had them one night, then the next night they were gone. I was pretty pissed. Hopefully they return ........

And Andrews: I simply avoid infinite ammo games now. They're not worth it.

Pimpwerx said:
Please make this happen for the next Resistance. The tactical nuke would be the new BFG. Though, I suppose it'll also have to be somewhat realistic to fit in with the rest of the environment and weapons. PEACE.

Well, maybe a massive and explosive version of the airfuel system? Turn a whole environment into a fireball, with an explosive kick.

I've got nothing.

JB1981 said:
I'll check tonight but I think I LOST XP points a few days ago. I had them one night, then the next night they were gone. I was pretty pissed. Hopefully they return ........

And Andrews: I simply avoid infinite ammo games now. They're not worth it.

I honestly have a hard time finding games that fit my map and game type tastes that aren't set to infinite ammo. And I swear it wasn't this popular a few days ago. :(

AltogetherAndrews said:
Ok, I've changed my opinion: infinite ammo is more annoying than infinite rounds. And made so much more annoying by its apparent popularity.

And can someone who knows answer my question above, about the aim assist? I assumed this would be automatically disabled at least in ranked matches, but I refuse to believe that other players are that good. Not that I don't suck plenty (I do), but I haven't seen precision like this outside of PC gaming.

Aim Assist is optional online, with the default set to "on." If you go to "multiplayer options" you'll see the toggle for it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Aim Assist is optional online, with the default set to "on." If you go to "multiplayer options" you'll see the toggle for it.

Yeah - there is a very slight auto-aim that allows you to track someone a bit more intuitively if your reticle is right on them.

Some guys on our forums did a breakdown of ours vs. another high-profile shooter if you're interested:

http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=1048.0

JS

Ok, so I checked it out, and it makes a bit of difference, but not as much as I thought. I guess these guys are just that good. Maybe I need to tool around a bit more with the sensitivity.

And on that topic, why the hell am I (the Gunnery Sergeant) being matched against Brigadier Commanders in Ranked games?

Do any of you use the bluetooth headset in game? If so, I have a question for you. I was able to set up and synch my headset a couple of days ago, but ever since I haven't been able to get it to work. Once it is synced once, do I have to do anything on the PS3 side to get it to connect? I tried using it last night. I turned my PS3 on, turned my bluetooth headset on, then went to the headset option in the crossbar menu, and I am unable to get my voice to register. I'm sure the headset is fine, but is there anything in particular I need to do to get it to work again?

Big-E

AltogetherAndrews said:
Ok, so I checked it out, and it makes a bit of difference, but not as much as I thought. I guess these guys are just that good. Maybe I need to tool around a bit more with the sensitivity.

And on that topic, why the hell am I (the Gunnery Sergeant) being matched against Brigadier Commanders in Ranked games?

Ya I would like to know this too. I like playing against people ranked higher than me but when a few privates get thrown in while everyone else is all higher level, the privates are normally just prey for everyone else.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Big-E said:
Ya I would like to know this too. I like playing against people ranked higher than me but when a few privates get thrown in while everyone else is all higher level, the privates are normally just prey for everyone else.

fix for this will be coming, but one reason right now that you see this is because we are preferring to make matches over matching rating-appropriate people. however expect to see this kind of thing happening less and less beginning with an update that shoudl be here any day.

JB1981

neogaf_cage_free said:
fix for this will be coming, but one reason right now that you see this is because we are preferring to make matches over matching rating-appropriate people. however expect to see this kind of thing happening less and less beginning with an update that shoudl be here any day.

Can you put a ban on hosts who enable infinite ammo? hehe

I just don't understand how people get enjoyment out of playing that way.

bonesquad

I too hate those infinite ammo games since waaay too many fools run around just chucking those napalm grenades... yet every time I see a Breach game guess what option is turned on...

Question, is voice chat something that's always on? I was under the impression I had to push L3 to talk (since it's on the control setup screen), but when I was playing yesterday I let a 4 letter word slip (my bad) and was surprised when someone found it funny. I wonder what else people have heard if that's the case... I mean it did take me awhile to figure out I didn't have to watch my guy burn to death...

bonesquad said:
Question, is voice chat something that's always on? I was under the impression I had to push L3 to talk (since it's on the control setup screen), but when I was playing yesterday I let a 4 letter word slip (my bad) and was surprised when someone found it funny. I wonder what else people have heard if that's the case... I mean it did take me awhile to figure out I didn't have to watch my guy burn to death...

I think the way it works (and I could be wrong here) is voice chat is always on for the people you assign to your squad, while L3 is used for teammates outside of your squad. So if you don't have one assigned it'll default to everyone on the team.

one thing I like about Infinite Ammo and the rifle grenades is watching people get blown all over the place (especially on Rooftops, which is my current favorite MP map :D)

I do hate the numbnuts that just lurk in the shadows throwing air-fuels and hedgehogs.

I saw a badass character skin today.
He had a black military uniform on (with a red collar or something) and a white skull head. The dude was utterly badass. I had him in my sniper crosshairs on Manchester and his appearance actually made me hesitate shooting him. He was gone before I could finally pull the trigger. :D

I hope Insomniac has plans to put out some more character customization/downloadable skins/etc.
I don't think I'll ever be good enough to beat the game on the highest difficulty level to get the cool skins. I realize this is a perk for being kickass, but some of us mediocre players need some love, too. :(

JB1981

Alright. Does this game punish you extremely harshly if you quit a game? I ask because I just had so many more options in my soldier loadout screen before I just quit a game which had infinite rounds? WTF? How are you supposed to never quit a room with infinite rounds?

Big-E

I find that infinite ammo provides a good distraction. It gets frantic with rockets flying all over the place and you feel good after you win a match with so much destruction. The worst part is if all that hard work dosen't count which is the case in the infinite round games. I think infinite rounds need to be stopped or at least keep your stats. I know its only unranked stats but I like everything to count.

As of now, Quits don't actually hurt your stats/rank. They do register though, so someone can see how many times you've quit.

My exp still isn't updating... need to check on the official forums... I've got like 7200 kills and I'm only a Lieutenant Colonel. I've had "2399" exp to level for like... over a week now. I also haven't received ANY sniper kills from sniper only team deathmatch games in like... forever. I'm probably close to a 1000 sniper kills and the game reads out 38. I play some games where I get 60-100 kills a round.

Infinite rounds DO keep your stats, for all your completed rounds. Though they do seem to lose track of your stats more if you play infinite rounds (every unranked game now). I've witnessed my exp going up while playing infinite round games before.

patsu

TheJollyCorner said:
I saw a badass character skin today.
He had a black military uniform on (with a red collar or something) and a white skull head. The dude was utterly badass. I had him in my sniper crosshairs on Manchester and his appearance actually made me hesitate shooting him. He was gone before I could finally pull the trigger. :D

Yeah I bumped into him too, literally. Shot and killed him ("What the hell is that !"). He popped out of a room in the Mall, after a brief firefight with someone else. Owned me for the rest of the game :(

mackaveli

the resistance update is much better. Playing team deathmatch with 8 ppl in a small map is so fun. People don't leave and the score isnt 2000 to win only 300 which keeps game fast.

Hopefully in the future you can pick what type of match you want and so forth.

Wollan

The first patch is now available:

igRossMcIntosh @ MyResistance forum said:
Happy Holidays everyone! To celebrate, we've released the first update to Resistance: Fall of Man! Read further for specific details.

Ranked Games

* Map size determined by the number of players in the game
* All maps available for ranked games
* Score limits for team deathmatch adjusted based on the number of players in a match
* Time limits added for all game types that were missing them

General

* Various bug fixes and formatting issues
* Fixed a rare issue where a player would become invisible to all other players in a match
* In Human vs Human or Chimera vs Chimera team games, all players on a team will show up as the same model to help distinguish between the teams.
* Added a barrier on Manchester, which was previously left out, to prevent players from leaving the playable area.

Character Sheet

* “Return a Flag” ribbon now displays properly. All “Return a Flag” ribbons earned prior to this patch will be restored.
* “Multi Kill” ribbon will now be tracked. Unfortunately, no “Multi Kill” ribbons earned before this patch can be restored.
* “Target Bomber” ribbon can now be achieved with the frag grenade as well as the hedgehog grenade
* You will now receive a system message when you earn a new rank.
* A player’s rank will not be sometimes misrepresented as lower than it actually is.
* Wins/Losses are now displayed on the player stats.
* Changed the requirements to earn some of the medals on the character sheet.
* We have replaced the Skeleton skin with a new skin, the Mechanic. We've determined that the Skeleton is much smaller and more difficult to see on many levels than any of the other skins. The skins were never meant to give a gameplay advantage, but to offer you the chance to customize your character as you see fit, and we don't want people to be at a disadvantage because they didn't pick any one particular skin. Never fear, the skeleton may make a return at some later date, in some form or other.

Lobby

* You can now accept a party invite if you are in a game and the party you are joining is in the same game.
* The results screen will now automatically rejoin the game after 30 seconds instead of disconnecting from the game as it previously did.
* There is now an option to enabled “Map Vote” for custom games. If this option is enabled, players may press triangle when they are on the results screen to vote on what map they wish to play next. This option is enabled by default.
* You can now create a deathmatch game with a time limit as the only end game condition.
* Fixed a bug where players joining a game in progress would sometimes be placed on the team that had more players instead of the team with less players.

Voice Chat

* Voice chat is now “push-to-talk” by default in team games as well as free-for-all games. The standard button is L3 and it can be remapped. Open mic is active only for squad chat when you choose to join a named squad. In that case you still use the push-to-talk button to broadcast to your entire team. Other places where open mic is active are when observing in a limited lives game and when you are in a party
* There is now an indicator in the lower right hand corner to let you know when you are transmitting on the microphone

Interface

* Players in a squad will now be given an additional option to spawn near their squad in CTF, Meltdown, and Breach.
* Player names that are longer than 11 characters will no longer be truncated if they have a clan tag enabled.
* The flag taken message will stay on the screen longer in CTF games
* Enemies are now represented as triangles on the radar and map.
* Buddies on your team will show up as green dots on the map and radar (if it is enabled)
* Squad members will show up as yellow dots on the map and radar (if it is enabled)

Balance and Tuning

* Chimeran rage damage multiplier has been reduced.
* Chimera at max heat will now only lose health until they are at 50% health instead of going all the way down to 1% health.
* Humans will now spawn with 1 frag grenade as well as the M5A2 Carbine
* Enemies will now show up on the Human map/radar if they are within radar range of ANYONE ON YOUR TEAM and only in the following circumstances: They are sprinting or in rage mode, they are firing/attacking, they are jumping, or they are within range of node radar (Breach)
* The L11-2 Dragon will now do extra damage to Chimeran players as was originally intended
* Most weapon damage values have been tweaked in the interest of balance. In general, weapons have been tweaked to deal slightly less damage.
* The spawn selection algorithm has been modified to make players spawn next to enemies less often, and to spawn near teammates and squadmates more often
* Moved the location of the flag in several CTF maps to help prevent stalemating
* Suicide will now increase the waiting time until a player respawns by 10 seconds in team games.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
That's a pretty loaded patch. Does it automatically download it when I start Resistance next time or what?

mackaveli

is anyone else having problems with the sixaxis? i charged mine and am playing resistance but every 10minutes it has the no battery sign pop up and i have to disconnect then reconnect the usb wire but its already connected.

Also my sixaxis says it has 3 charges on it but it keeps happening and it is pissing me off especially when i am online playing.

Anyone have this problem? it never use to do this for me.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
yahso said:
hey guys, how to update resistance?
Download starts automatically when you try to go online within Resistance. That's what someone said on myresistance forum.

JB1981

This definitely improved some things but I had to reconfigure my controls. I mapped voice chat to L2 instead of L3. It's a lot easier for me that way.

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:
Download starts automatically when you try to go online within Resistance. That's what someone said on myresistance forum.

That was freakin' fast (~40 sec), makes FFXI updates a freakin' joke, seriously. >_<

Kittonwy

Banned
f_elz said:
mine is taking ages :(

How come? I went for a leak (it was a fast one) and when I came back it was done.

That said, something was up with the Sony servers tonight, because I couldn't connect to the Playstatio Network for 2-3 hours, so I decided to play some FFXII, when I took a break to check out whether I can connect again, it works!!! ^__^

fse

Kittonwy said:
How come? I went for a leak (it was a fast one) and when I came back it was done.

That said, something was up with the Sony servers tonight, because I couldn't connect to the Playstatio Network for 2-3 hours, so I decided to play some FFXII, when I took a break to check out whether I can connect again, it works!!! ^__^

I have no clue, the store is slow for me. maybe ill tinker with the network settings.

JB1981

f_elz said:
I have no clue, the store is slow for me. maybe ill tinker with the network settings.

Every time I read your posts, I imagine you saying them with that Tyra Banks expression :lol :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
f_elz said:

Btw, does anyone get a NAT Type 2 after the connection test? A quick search on Google reveals Type 2 = Moderate (Type 1 = Open, Type 3 = Strict) and I wonder why I get a Moderate NAT while my 360, which uses the very same connection, gets an Open.

(I'm not using any router. I plug the Ethernet cable directly into the Ethernet socket on the wall)

Kittonwy

Banned
TTP said:
Btw, does anyone get a NAT Type 2 after the connection test? A quick search on Google reveals Type 2 = Moderate (Type 1 = Open, Type 3 = Strict) and I wonder why I get a Moderate NAT while my 360, which uses the very same connection, gets an Open.

(I'm not using any router. I plug the Ethernet cable directly into the Ethernet socket on the wall)

I got the same thing after not being able to connect to the Playstation Network for a few hours. I do use a router though (and a switch).

A few things:

1) Still no option for clan vs. clan matches?

2) I haven't played since the patch (I'm about to) but I do have some major qualms about one aspect of the update...

Specifically, the fact that weapons have been toned down damage wise. The fact that ALL the weapons were very deadly (except the Dragon) was one of the best things the game had going for it... I'm afraid it is going to degenerate into a weapon whorefest ala some of the Halo 2 gametypes.

Compounded by the fact that, given a large game size, I'm not really confident in the new spawning algorithm... taking even LONGER to kill someone with people spawning all over you = not so much fun, and incidentally, this patch has made the LAARK way way way more powerful than it was before, because pre-patch catching someone with it from behind or even the side meant death for them, no question, if you were any good. Probably not so much now.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
"Chimera at max heat will now only lose health until they are at 50% health instead of going all the way down to 1% health."

THANK YOU INSOMNIAC!

Top Bottom