• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
TTP said:
Being able to play with US dudes with a Japanese copy of the game (which only allows you to access Japanese servers).
Ah yeah, seems thats still an issue. IIRC jstevenson mentioned before theres ways around it, it just hasnt been done yet I suppose.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bad_Boy said:
Ah yeah, seems thats still an issue. IIRC jstevenson mentioned before theres ways around it, it just hasnt been done yet I suppose.

Indeed. Looks like it's a Sony Japan thing more than Insomniac's. Servers are run by Sony so they have to find an agreement or something with the Japanese division. And with the European one in the future...

Goldrusher

That sucks.

Online gaming (to me) isn't about playing with friends from down the road, but with people from all around the world.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Worldwide servers is still on our agenda - but lots of logistics to work out.

The stuff we didn't reveal yet --- specifics on some of the balancing changes and team stuff are really cool too. I'm excited to share that info when I can.

JS

Going through the game a third time is really showing just how bad ass it is.
I cant believe the amount of detail insomniac put into this game.

Does anyone know what the deal still is with ranked team games never having more than a few people? Is it just because there arent enough people yet?

Safe Bet

Banned
It has now happened to me twice while playing the Machester Map, so I'm pretty sure its a glitch.

Somehow players are finding a way to become invisible...

J-Rzez

You guys at Insomniac are great... you actually listen and fix things! It's a nice change of pace in the industry... Great job over there, hope to get on a lil tonight...

wait, so you mean players like NagamoTayatami aren't real Japanese gamers playing RESISTANCE online from Japan[/b]... just a couple dorky white 'otaku!' numbnuts?

Oh man... illusion destroyed! :(

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Safe Bet said:
It has now happened to me twice while playing the Machester Map, so I'm pretty sure its a glitch.

Somehow players are finding a way to become invisible...

Yeah, we know about that, I'm almost positive the fix is in the patch.

JS

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BruceLeeRoy said:
Going through the game a third time is really showing just how bad ass it is.
I cant believe the amount of detail insomniac put into this game.

Does anyone know what the deal still is with ranked team games never having more than a few people? Is it just because there arent enough people yet?

Partly --- but I got into a 32 player ranked match a couple nights ago, so it also depends a bit on when you play. Things will only get better on that front as we get more Resistance owners out there.

You know what would be neat in Resistance 2? Some more genuinely destructive weapons. You know, mass death weapons. I've raved on about how I like the "smart" nature of the weapons in the game, but I did feel that it lacked at least one "uber-gun". A mini-nuke, or a remote airstrike function, something that can be unleashed once in a blue moon but with spectacular results.

junier

Banned
jstevenson said:
Worldwide servers is still on our agenda - but lots of logistics to work out. JS

PLEASE!

Any info you can provide on how this is going would be much appreciated, I feel exiled here in Taiwan as I can only play on the Asian servers (Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand) with the other 5 people who have Resistance in this region.

Also, it depends on the region of your PS3 unit, not the game disc, as I already have the US version of the game, and had to buy a 2nd (!) copy of the game to play here. From what I understand this is a Sony issue, not an Insomniac issue.

Hopefully when Sony gets thier act together they will implement International servers across the board, and not on a game by game basis.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
junier said:
PLEASE!

Any info you can provide on how this is going would be much appreciated, I feel exiled here in Taiwan as I can only play on the Asian servers (Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand) with the other 5 people who have Resistance in this region.

Also, it depends on the region of your PS3 unit, not the game disc, as I already have the US version of the game, and had to buy a 2nd (!) copy of the game to play here. From what I understand this is a Sony issue, not an Insomniac issue.

Hopefully when Sony gets thier act together they will implement International servers across the board, and not on a game by game basis.

Unfortunately, you have all the details I'm allowed to give. I wish I could tell you more - but that's Sony's stuff.

JS

Kittonwy

Banned
When will we see the PSN friends list integrated into the game?

I know you guys are doing a great job patching the game, keep up the good work!!! ~_~

Kittonwy said:

I know you guys are doing a great job patching the game, keep up the good work!!! ~_~

That's a good question since NFS:Carbon has it.

junier

Banned
jstevenson said:
Unfortunately, you have all the details I'm allowed to give. I wish I could tell you more - but that's Sony's stuff.

JS

OK, but maybe I can ask a question and you can nod your head yes or no? :) Like, ok...I love Resistance, and expect to be playing multiplayer for awhile, do you think I'll be able to play with peeps from other regions within the next 6 months? Do you think petitioning Sony would help at all?

Or should I just resign myself to fragging yuppie Hong Kong businessmen for awhile?

Brashnir

LevelNth said:
Wait til you get farther in dark. Seriously, I can't remember the last time I played a game that continuously and consistently got better and better the farther you got. I don't know if I'd say it's topped Halo presentation-wise, but it's definitely matched it IMO. And I don't just mean story and cutscenes, but atmosphere, cohesiveness in design, etc. Haven't played HL2 yet, so no comment there.

And I still think it's pretty crazy that Resistance compares so favorably to Gears in the visuals department (even eclipsing it in some respects) and it's a frickin' launch title!

Argh, I just realized I still haven't added you to my FL!!!

I'm glad I went back through this thread and read some of the older single-player impressions. I got a PS3 and this game yesterday and unfortunately didn't have much time to actually play. I played for maybe 30 minutes and was extremely underwhelmed. Glad to hear it picks up as the game progresses.

Dazzyman

Ive been off trying to play COD3 for first on 360 last couple of days but after playing Resistence it was blumming dire, so many bugs and internet issues Ive given up and benched it (and Im a huge fan of COD2), just shows how well done Resistence is and Im off back to it later (even GOW what Ive started playing part of the shines missing due to Resistence gameplay).

Be really great if we do get a worldwide server JS I think it would maybe even help sales in JPN region to get more online. I havent come across any lag though and it was a lovely change to get straight into games compared to xbox live.

Can I ask about the York section though? Just that the buildings etc... pale compared to the rest of the game, was this early development time or do you just hate us people what are from York? :lol You should have had the fighting down Micklegate and not Walmgate as theres always fighting down their on a weekend :D

Safe Bet

Banned
Request:

Can you please provide some kind of 'indicator' on my screen when I use the mic similar to those I see on my screen when my teamates use their mics?

I know it sounds trivial, but it really does help...

ROFL

Hail Britannia
Dazzyman said:
Ive been off trying to play COD3 for first on 360 last couple of days but after playing Resistence it was blumming dire, so many bugs and internet issues Ive given up and benched it (and Im a huge fan of COD2), just shows how well done Resistence is and Im off back to it later (even GOW what Ive started playing part of the shines missing due to Resistence gameplay).

I'm glad to hear you saying this already... Do you think it also makes other games feel 'older gen'?

<I'd bet that in a years' time people EXPECT all the subtle innovations that are present in Resistance and when they look at other games they'll look remarkably clunky and 'old gen'. ---- Posted by ROFL : 11-30-2006>

Safe Bet

Banned
Just got to a part in the sp where I am beginning to see more of the alien archticture.

WOW

Makes it easy to tell the 'critics' that played the game for more than three hours from those that did not.

Dazzyman

I think it can just show a badly made game ROFL when you go play it after Resitence (normally I would take time with anything I get but when a games as bad as COD3 I just thought whats the point when I can go play GOW or go back to Resistence as their fun). I didnt reliase COD3 was done by a different team and it really shows. GOW does get really good as well, its hard to compare them as they are very different games but their both close to me for game of the year (and its been an expensive year for me).

I think myself and many others have mentioned alot about Resistence early on, I was disapointed with it at first especially at York as Im from their and it was very bland for me and nondiscript in graphics terms (I had a bugbear about areas as well not being correct to the real thing), but when you look back after you have finished it you reliase it was a TINY amount of gametime, more like a learner level. I would have loved to have seen more in York though, I think it was a missed oppertunity to have fighting around the roman walls at Walmgate bar and Cliffords Tower or having to wade across the Ouse (or even fighting and chucking kitkats at each other in my old jobs factory :lol ) could have also done some great artwork in York Minster with the Rose window or better use of the Shambles. Its nitpicking though. Myself I look back on that area with some shock as it seriously put me off and I did nearly bench it for GOW within about 1hour and half but once York is done and you get out of Grimsby into Manchester it just makes you sit up and go wow this is going to be contender for game of the year and it just gets better and better from then on like one hell of a rollercoaster ride :)

Big-E

It is true that Resistance makes other games look bad. In the first week of release I tried playing both Resistance and COD3 equally, but that quickly changed. I have not played COD3 since, while I try to play Resistance almost every time that I can. It pains me that the reviews of the game were so close to each other in a lot of publications. Resistance should be praised far more than it is getting.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Kittonwy said:

Would you prefer having it even though you can't add to your block list in the game, you have to quit the game to accept a buddy invite, you can't know the online status of anyone not playing Resistance, and you can't send or receive messages except to buddies playing Resistance at the same time? Those are the limitations of in-game PSN friends lists right now...hopefully will get better soon, but if they didn't is it still worth integrating?

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
Safe Bet said:
Request:

Can you please provide some kind of 'indicator' on my screen when I use the mic similar to those I see on my screen when my teamates use their mics?

I know it sounds trivial, but it really does help...

Yup, that will be in the update.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
junier said:
OK, but maybe I can ask a question and you can nod your head yes or no? :) Like, ok...I love Resistance, and expect to be playing multiplayer for awhile, do you think I'll be able to play with peeps from other regions within the next 6 months?

No guarantees but I would think so, yes.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dazzyman said:

Be really great if we do get a worldwide server JS I think it would maybe even help sales in JPN region to get more online. I havent come across any lag though and it was a lovely change to get straight into games compared to xbox live.

Can I ask about the York section though? Just that the buildings etc... pale compared to the rest of the game, was this early development time or do you just hate us people what are from York? :lol You should have had the fighting down Micklegate and not Walmgate as theres always fighting down their on a weekend :D

Yep yep, it just shows what a frickin' incredibly polished game Resistance really is, I still can't get over how smooth the controls are, the aiming/movement is so smooth and responsive, yet never jittery, it's the perfect speed and sensitivity.

patsu

Ha ha ! Cheddar Gorge ? I wanted to complete the game asap, so I played that level on empty stomach (Rushing for another project at work). Got so dizzy that I had to come to Gaf for help on how to get out.

Howdy dazzyman hehe, i have this on the way to me cant wait im a big fan of fps and risistence more or less made me buy an import ps3 rather than waiting till scee decided we are worthy. Looking forward to playing it being from england and having been to nearly every place in the game im looking forward to picking things out, did they take real pics etc for the game i hope grimsby smells of fish and i hope its raining in the manchester level lol.:lol

JB1981

I honestly feel that Breach could be one of the best games of MP around if the PSN just had more people with mics who are willing to work as a team. You really begin to notice how big a difference dedicated servers make once you've played this game after something like, say, GEARS. The host advantage in that game is almost game-breaking but Resistance is a whole other beast. It's the smoothest online console game I've ever played. It has an extensive amount of game variants (more than any 360 game to date) and it's completely lag-free. I have a feeling that when the system releases in more territories (I'm counting on you, Europeans) that the online MP will truly take off.

If the March update fully integrates the XMB into all aspects of online play and the basic tasks of the system (while IN-GAME) and we continue to get the kind of online support from games studios (as Insomniac has done) then I can definitely see how Sony's approach could exceed that of LIVE.

JB1981 said:
I honestly feel that Breach could be one of the best games of MP around if the PSN just had more people with mics who are willing to work as a team.

Breach kicks ass. I just wish it was played more in ranked games. Every custom game I play seems to be set up with Infinite Ammo which I ain't a big fan of. Not sure why people like using that option so much, it just turns things into a boring grenade and rocket fest.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
neogaf_cage_free said:
Would you prefer having it even though you can't add to your block list in the game, you have to quit the game to accept a buddy invite, you can't know the online status of anyone not playing Resistance, and you can't send or receive messages except to buddies playing Resistance at the same time? Those are the limitations of in-game PSN friends lists right now...hopefully will get better soon, but if they didn't is it still worth integrating?

You guys do know that this guy works for Insomniac right GAF?

Is that the limitation for your game only or every game for PS3?

JB1981

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Breach kicks ass. I just wish it was played more in ranked games. Every custom game I play seems to be set up with Infinite Ammo which I ain't a big fan of. Not sure why people like using that option so much, it just turns things into a boring grenade and rocket fest.

Agreed. It's sooo annoying. And it's ****ing up an otherwise great game.

JB1981

AltogetherAndrews said:
Infinite Ammo is still better than Infinite Rounds.

Infinite ammo is the WORST. All people do is throw grenades and shoot grenade-bursts from their rifles. So. ****ing. Corny.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I finally caught the RFOM commercial on TV last night. It really made the game look good (which it is). Its easily the best PS3 commercial so far. They need to run it more often.

AltogetherAndrews said:
You know what would be neat in Resistance 2? Some more genuinely destructive weapons. You know, mass death weapons. I've raved on about how I like the "smart" nature of the weapons in the game, but I did feel that it lacked at least one "uber-gun". A mini-nuke, or a remote airstrike function, something that can be unleashed once in a blue moon but with spectacular results.

I completely agree. I'd love to see something like a death ray...perhaps like the one seen in War of the Worlds that turned people into dust.

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
I honestly feel that Breach could be one of the best games of MP around if the PSN just had more people with mics who are willing to work as a team. You really begin to notice how big a difference dedicated servers make once you've played this game after something like, say, GEARS. The host advantage in that game is almost game-breaking but Resistance is a whole other beast. It's the smoothest online console game I've ever played. It has an extensive amount of game variants (more than any 360 game to date) and it's completely lag-free. I have a feeling that when the system releases in more territories (I'm counting on you, Europeans) that the online MP will truly take off.

If the March update fully integrates the XMB into all aspects of online play and the basic tasks of the system (while IN-GAME) and we continue to get the kind of online support from games studios (as Insomniac has done) then I can definitely see how Sony's approach could exceed that of LIVE.

I have to agree 100% with everything here... It's an incredibly polished online experience to match that of the SP... it's something you rarely see anymore these days... most games are designed with intentions of either or, this is both...

Am I the only one who is still having HUGE problems with my EXP updating? It hasn't moved in over a week! Not that I've been playing much this week, honestly, as I just can't care anymore now that NO MATTER WHAT I DO... nothing is ever recorded. It isn't even recording kills anymore, much less everything else that should be coming with it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Am I the only one who is still having HUGE problems with my EXP updating? It hasn't moved in over a week! Not that I've been playing much this week, honestly, as I just can't care anymore now that NO MATTER WHAT I DO... nothing is ever recorded. It isn't even recording kills anymore, much less everything else that should be coming with it.

There were some crazy issues yesterday with it, but over the whole week? Note that it doesn't update right away either (slight delay).

Mine were updating... if you're having more problems hit the tech issues forum on MyResistance.net, the MP team is doing a really good job of keeping track of that stuff and working with Sony to ensure things are running as smoothly as possible.

Pimpwerx

AltogetherAndrews said:
Please make this happen for the next Resistance. The tactical nuke would be the new BFG. Though, I suppose it'll also have to be somewhat realistic to fit in with the rest of the environment and weapons. PEACE.

Ok, I've changed my opinion: infinite ammo is more annoying than infinite rounds. And made so much more annoying by its apparent popularity.

And can someone who knows answer my question above, about the aim assist? I assumed this would be automatically disabled at least in ranked matches, but I refuse to believe that other players are that good. Not that I don't suck plenty (I do), but I haven't seen precision like this outside of PC gaming.

Top Bottom