• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

ROFL

Hail Britannia
TheJollyCorner said:
I saw a badass character skin today.
He had a black military uniform on (with a red collar or something) and a white skull head. The dude was utterly badass. I had him in my sniper crosshairs on Manchester and his appearance actually made me hesitate shooting him. He was gone before I could finally pull the trigger. :D
(

That doesn't sound like a regular Cloven, could be the skull head Black Ops skin? - a quick search online should reveal more..

ROFL

Hail Britannia
http://bestof.ign.com/2006/ps3/

Obviously there was a slight lack of titles to choose from but Rfom pretty much swept the board:

PS3 Game of the Year

Best First-Person Shooter

Best Graphics Technology

Best Original Score

Best Use of Sound

Best Online Game

Best Developer

and.....wait for it........... from the game that is allegedly "generic" and "lacks innovation" and "fails to advance the genre"?

(trumpet fanfare....)

*****Most Innovative Design*****

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I just found out this patch doesn't apply to Japanese PS3 users. :///
Way to go Sony, way to go.

grendelrt

I read throught part of the thread, but didnt feel like reading it all to find out :lol

Anyone else having the problem where the damn weapon select keeps popping up or your weapons switch on their own. I assume its a controller synch problem, but it only occurs on the damn R2 button it seems.

I reset the controller and it helps for a while. The only wireless things near by are, Wii and Xbox360. The 360 was not on, and the Wii was on standby. I put the PS3 furthest away from the Wii also. I am sitting like 7 ft from the console.

Dahbomb

ROFL said:
http://bestof.ign.com/2006/ps3/

Obviously there was a slight lack of titles to choose from but Rfom pretty much swept the board:

PS3 Game of the Year

Best First-Person Shooter

Best Graphics Technology

Best Original Score

Best Use of Sound

Best Online Game

Best Developer

and.....wait for it........... from the game that is allegedly "generic" and "lacks innovation" and "fails to advance the genre"?

(trumpet fanfare....)

*****Most Innovative Design*****
All awards are well-deserved.

no_to_co

grendelrt said:
I read throught part of the thread, but didnt feel like reading it all to find out :lol

Anyone else having the problem where the damn weapon select keeps popping up or your weapons switch on their own. I assume its a controller synch problem, but it only occurs on the damn R2 button it seems.

I reset the controller and it helps for a while. The only wireless things near by are, Wii and Xbox360. The 360 was not on, and the Wii was on standby. I put the PS3 furthest away from the Wii also. I am sitting like 7 ft from the console.

Try playing plugged in with the USB cable for a while and see if the problem goes away.

grendelrt said:

Try mapping weapon select to one of the face buttons (I use /\). The triggers are really sensitive and it's easy to inadvertently nudge them while you're playing.

grendelrt

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Try mapping weapon select to one of the face buttons (I use /\). The triggers are really sensitive and it's easy to inadvertently nudge them while you're playing.

Yeah I know I have done that a couple of times, but this is like complete spazzing or the weapon switch screen comes up like when you hold R2. I have been playing the motorstorm demo with no problems though. But R2 on MS is gas, so I prob wouldnt notice then.

Downpour

I've finished the SP campaign. (yes, I know, everyone is getting into the multiplayer now. What can I say? I'm a late bloomer)
Other, far more articulate people have already described the awesomeness to be found in campaign mode, so I won't belabor that point. =)

Rather, I'd like to ask a few questions. First off, since I'm new here, how do spoiler tags work? Does it even matter now that we're on page 48 of this thread? Should I just post my spoiler laden theories openly?

Big-E

Downpour said:
I've finished the SP campaign. (yes, I know, everyone is getting into the multiplayer now. What can I say? I'm a late bloomer)
Other, far more articulate people have already described the awesomeness to be found in campaign mode, so I won't belabor that point. =)

Rather, I'd like to ask a few questions. First off, since I'm new here, how do spoiler tags work? Does it even matter now that we're on page 48 of this thread? Should I just post my spoiler laden theories openly?

To do a spolier you gotta write [ spoiler ] blah blah blah.......... [ /spoiler ] but just dont put spaces inside the brackets.

JB1981

grendelrt said:

Change weapon select to triangle. So much better, it's not even funny.

kiun

I'm in the US and just got a JP PS3.
So basically I can't play ROFM on US Servers ?

Is this problem only found in ROFM ? How about other PS3 online multiplayer game ?

Treo360

Finally got a chance to play it, thus far I'm a little underwhelmed. Resistance is challenging though (I am playing it on hard) The graphics while not bad, they're not great IMO. So far I'm in the level titled "Hunted."

Do things get a bit better?

I'm digging the story thus far, I just wished our hero wasn't the silent type, though this is only a game I'm having difficulty associating with Sgt. Hale.

It gets better, right?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Treo360 said:
Finally got a chance to play it, thus far I'm a little underwhelmed. Resistance is challenging though (I am playing it on hard) The graphics while not bad, they're not great IMO. So far I'm in the level titled "Hunted."

Do things get a bit better?

I'm digging the story thus far, I just wished our hero wasn't the silent type, though this is only a game I'm having difficulty associating with Sgt. Hale.

It gets better, right?

You're not even a fifth of the way through. Most people here believe the game gets much better as you go on - and personally, Manchester is one of my favorite levels (the next environment/3 levels you will play).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
kiun said:
I'm in the US and just got a JP PS3.
So basically I can't play ROFM on US Servers ?

Is this problem only found in ROFM ? How about other PS3 online multiplayer game ?

Most other PS3 games are peer-to-peer, whereas we have dedicated servers. We're working with Sony to support worldwide servers, but that's all the info we can share at this time.

Dazzyman

Aye dont make your mind up till you hit Manchester as it gets stunning from then on! Believe me York doest look as drab in real life :lol

kiun

jstevenson said:
Most other PS3 games are peer-to-peer, whereas we have dedicated servers. We're working with Sony to support worldwide servers, but that's all the info we can share at this time.

Well I hope future PS3 games will by, default, support worldwide servers. Or at least give the player the option to choose the servers' region.

I guess I understand why it is the way it is, but I still wish there was a way to select game type in ranked games. I genuinely dislike Meltdown, but it seems like that's all I'm ever offered when I search for team based ranked games.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
AltogetherAndrews said:
I guess I understand why it is the way it is, but I still wish there was a way to select game type in ranked games. I genuinely dislike Meltdown, but it seems like that's all I'm ever offered when I search for team based ranked games.

We will be adding some more ability to narrow down what you want to play in ranked games as soon as we have enough players to support that without sacrificing our ability to get matchs quickly and to group people together according to skill.

mr_nothin

Banned
neogaf_cage_free said:
We will be adding some more ability to narrow down what you want to play in ranked games as soon as we have enough players to support that without sacrificing our ability to get matchs quickly and to group people together according to skill.
Who are you?!
I don't think we have been properly introduced...

neogaf_cage_free said:

My what a long sentence you have!

rs7k

I've been playing Resistance for the past few days, and I never thought I'd put it above Gears of War as my GOTY. It's simply amazing, incredibly playable, the framerate is so smooth, the weapons are great, the story and atmosphere are hard to match. Oh man I love this game.

rs7k

patsu said:
What're your memorable moments in the game ?

Everytime the Auger-wielding Chimera start shooting at me and there's like three of them, so I try to take cover behind a wall, and I'm still fvcked. I've played a lot of FPS games, and I've never seen anything like it. The air-fuel grenades that burn enemies to a nice dark crisp. Or the super-challenging Titans that explode when you kill them. The hedgehog grenades, nothing screams terrible danger like one of those thrown at you. The framerate doesn't slow down even if there's 20 monsters shooting at you and explosions everywhere. The game is extremely clean, and ramps up incredibly graphics-wise once you hit the Southern Command hangar. The bump-mapped floor with the lights flickering... oh man.

Big-E

Love the patch. Team Deathmatch is so much better now with the better spawning. You finally feel like your on a team oppose to just runing around like a deathmatch. It also makes sniping A LOT easier :lol .

lunlunqq

Big-E said:
Love the patch. Team Deathmatch is so much better now with the better spawning. You finally feel like your on a team oppose to just runing around like a deathmatch. It also makes sniping A LOT easier :lol .

hehe, Big-E, nice game.

rs7k said:
I've been playing Resistance for the past few days, and I never thought I'd put it above Gears of War as my GOTY. It's simply amazing, incredibly playable, the framerate is so smooth, the weapons are great, the story and atmosphere are hard to match. Oh man I love this game.

I wanted to chime in here too: I'm not finished yet (just got through the first London part), but Resistance is slowly creeping past Gears on my Best-of-06 list.

Once I got used to the controls, I started appreciating it more and more, everything from the weapons (inventive, for the most part) to the firefights (which can be quite exhilarating).

Sirolf

I cannot register at all at myresistance.net.Every time i fill the registering form,it says that the verification code is wrong :(
Is there a problem with the site ?

Cracked this baby open last night.

#1 Horror - Some arsehole took sonycowboy on PSN

So, my username is scowboy, just like XBox Live.

Played online for two hours last night and damn is this baby smooth. No framedrops I've noticed with 40 players onscreen and the weapons firing is smooth as butter as well. I just need to get a bluetooth headset. Any recommendations from folks?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
I have been playing resistance for the past few days now, up to the snowy level. All I have to say is: I'm hooked.

This game is awesome. unfortunately I had trouble getting it last month since buy.com messed up my delivery but now that it's in my grubby hands I am enjoying the hell out of it.

My hat is off to you insomniac. Great work. Definitely my game of 2006 (I thought FF12 would take it). The game is so well balanced and there are so many moments when you say "Wow I made it!". I have never played an FPS that made such great use of weapons as well.

Multiplayer was a blast as well. I really have to get me a bluetooth headset. Here is a thread I started about the subject:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131461

Downpour

Whew. Just made it back to the game after an extended Christmas break.
My questions:

How much do people know about the strange (dead) soldiers wearing the hazmat-esque suits? They have a symbol on them that I vaguely recall seeing repeated through out the game. Maybe that's the symbol of the British MI-6, in this alternate universe?

...alternately, were these guys the Cloven? Whenever I found a weird new weapon, there would be one of these dead soldiers. Maybe there were part of a secret weapon project in Russia?

Has anyone listened to the morse code in the game? (apologies if this was already covered somewhere back on page 1,327,298 of this thread) I've heard it in a couple places, and first I dismissed it as something standard like 's-o-s', but they seem to go on for a while without repeating. Myabe there's a message there? Or heck, maybe it's just random letters thrown together as filler. :lol

f@luS said:
any BT headset work?
No. Read below

sonycowboy said:

LMAO... that sucks.

sonycowboy said:
Played online for two hours last night and damn is this baby smooth. No framedrops I've noticed with 40 players onscreen and the weapons firing is smooth as butter as well. I just need to get a bluetooth headset. Any recommendations from folks?

The framerate does drop, but it's very rare. Happened to me about 5-6 times out of the countless hours I've played this game. Anyway, some headset info. below...

Myresistance's heaset thread:
http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=385.0

FAQ for new players (includes answers to headset questions):
http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=1233.0

This is the one I have. If you can still find one, it's pretty cheap and works well, but isn't wireless/Bluetooth...
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS2/Accessories/SCUS-97078

Nos_G

Is the GAF clan still actively playing? I shot Whiteman a request for an invite, but I think he hates me :p

I'm using my Socom1 headset (the super flimsy one) and L3 to voice chat is a weird button choice.

Big-E

Nos_G said:
Is the GAF clan still actively playing? I shot Whiteman a request for an invite, but I think he hates me :p

I'm using my Socom1 headset (the super flimsy one) and L3 to voice chat is a weird button choice.

I took about a week break from playing but I just started back the past few days the only person I have seen on though since I started playing again was lunlunqq. On a side note their seems to be a lot more people playing the game now.

Kittonwy

Banned
sonycowboy said:

LOL. ~_~

How do you like the controls?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Sirolf said:
I cannot register at all at myresistance.net.Every time i fill the registering form,it says that the verification code is wrong :(
Is there a problem with the site ?

No problems with the site, LOTS of registrations going just fine. Are you using Firefox (what we recommend)? Clear your cache?

JS

Norse

sonycowboy said:

muhahahhaha.....j/k

Hey, hows the patch work? Meaning does the game tell you to update when inserted?

Remy

Norse said:
muhahahhaha.....j/k

Hey, hows the patch work? Meaning does the game tell you to update when inserted?

Gotta try to sign on for multi before it prompts you about the patch.

Just got this today - haven't put in a ton of time yet, waiting until I get back home to the HD rig - but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Just a friendly reminder for anyone receiving Resistance for the holidays, if you want an invite to the NeoGAF clan, send me a PM. We should have plenty of slots left.

Nos_G

Laying off the SP for now and focusing on ranked multiplay.

So far online has been great (post-patch since I just got the game recently)

Just unlocked the Cloven skins via myresistance.net and anxiously awaiting a GAF Resistance night.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Forgot to mention, just so everyone knows...before you send me a PM for a clan invite, make sure you've at least logged onto RFOM MP once, otherwise I won't be able to send your id an invite because.

Top Bottom