• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Hooterville said:
How deos this game hold up to gears of war?

Better or worst?

Gears of War - Second Gen 360 game by a developer with great technical expertise
Resistance Fall of Man - First Gen PS3 game by a developer with average technical skills

'nuff siad

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Doom_Bringer said:
Gears of War - Second Gen 360 game by a developer with great technical expertise
Resistance Fall of Man - First Gen PS3 game by a developer with average technical skills

'nuff siad

:lol

Average? :lol

Speevy

Banned
Oooh, Doom_Bringer, don't do that.

Insomniac is one of the most talented developers around. The Ratchet and Clank series is so clean and well animated that 99% of PS2 developers should be jealous.

Pimpwerx

Doom_Bringer said:
hey i was just answering the junior's question.
No, you were trying to derail yet another thread. The first response was the best. Just leave it alone, no point in making such a comparison. If anyone knows anything about the two games, they'd know one is fps, other is tps. One is a fairly traditional approach to shooting, the other is more stop and pop. Apples and oranges, and GoW is like KZ in that once the comparisons come out, the thread dies a slow and painful death. PEACE.

Tieno

Does anyone know if they're doing a collectors edition for Resistance? and if they do, whats in it?

bud

Doom_Bringer said:

'nuff siad

rite

jjasper

Tieno said:
Does anyone know if they're doing a collectors edition for Resistance? and if they do, whats in it?

They haven't announced one and I don't think Sony has ever done one so I wouldn't count on it.

Didn't it get a 9 in OPM?

Excellent score for an excellent looking game. And it got 9/8/8/8 from Famitsu, great for a western FPS

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
LanceStern said:

Excellent score for an excellent looking game. And it got 9/8/8/8 from Famitsu, great for a western FPS

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTT?????????????????????????????????

33/40 in a Japanese mag? For a FPS? Are you ****ing serious? Man that's great.

Speevy

Banned
LanceStern said:

Which begs the statement, STOP HORDING THE SCORES REVIEWERS!

Hooterville said:
How deos this game hold up to gears of war?

Better or worst?

It holds up in the way that some will prefer resistance, some will prefer gears. Any other discussion of the subject should NOT be held in this thread. Period.

Wollan

I wonder how the vehicle controls are. I have always thought Halo had the best implemented vehicle controls of the larger fps games. For Resistance, it's hard to say since the camera movement is so subtle in the TGS trailer but it seems like the tank and cannon follows the camera view but it's hard to tell.

Tieno

Wollan said:
I wonder how the vehicle controls are. I have always thought Halo had the best implemented vehicle controls of the larger fps games. For Resistance, it's hard to say since the camera movement is so subtle in the TGS trailer but it seems like the tank and cannon follows the camera view but it's hard to tell.
Have there been videos with vehicle combat released?

Safe Bet

Banned
Wollan said:
I have always thought Halo had the best implemented vehicle controls of the larger fps games.
I can agree except for the Warthog..

I absolutely hated driving that damn thing...

Wollan

Tieno said:
Have there been videos with vehicle combat released?

Only a couple of seconds in the TGS trailer when the player is about to battle with a widowmaker and a spider mech.

I posted this in a different thread, but I think that thread is pretty much dead so I'll just move it here.

What do you guys think of the Conversion game type? In my experience from similar game types in our PB games, there's a lot of tension in not knowing who is really going to be your enemy or friend at any given point during the game. And it's also pretty crazy when you realize that you're the last player on your particular side, and that it's suddenly you against a small army of other players.

This could really be awesome on larger, more complex map.

Wollan

I'm not totally sure how that game mode works. I know about the death system in that the first life you're a human and when you die you respawn as a Chimera and when you die again you're out of the game. Is it simple team deathmatch between the two races? If so, shouldn't someone start of as a Chimera? Or does this mean it's a normal deathmatch?

Dahbomb

Wollan said:
I'm not totally sure how that game mode works. I know about the death system in that the first life you're a human and when you die you respawn as a Chimera and when you die again you're out of the game. Is it simple team deathmatch between the two races? If so, shouldn't someone start of as a Chimera? Or does this mean it's a normal deathmatch?
It's a glorified Elimination mode, I think.

Wollan said:

Conversion: You have two lives basically. You are human until you die and then you are a Chimera hybrid until you die again
-Humans and hybrids have different abilities.

We used to play a paintball event type called Assimilation, which worked in a similar way. Two teams at the start, with 4-8 players in each team. If you got hit, you'd convert to the rival faction, and the game would go on until all players belonged to a single dominant faction (or in the case of 16 player games until one faction enjoyed a 12 player dominance over the other faction).

It's pretty intense, as you can go from having a full team on your side, to being the one player that everyone is hunting.

AltogetherAndrews said:
Conversion: You have two lives basically. You are human until you die and then you are a Chimera hybrid until you die again
-Humans and hybrids have different abilities.

We used to play a paintball event type called Assimilation, which worked in a similar way. Two teams at the start, with 4-8 players in each team. If you got hit, you'd convert to the rival faction, and the game would go on until all players belonged to a single dominant faction (or in the case of 16 player matches, until one team controlled 12 players). It's pretty intense, as you can go from having a full team on your side, to being the one player that everyone is hunting.
yeah, but there's no mention of teams in the desc. from insomniac. Just "You are human, you are chimera"

Wollan

I think Dahbomb is on the money here, with it being a glorified elimination mode. Sounds cool for some really fast games.

Although it'd seem like a pointless game type if it's not team based. Do you score by converting other players? If that's the case, there'd be no sense in targeting people that already belong to your race, and that would kind of make it a team based event by default.

Wollan said:
I think it's everyone against everyone disregarding race totally.

Ok, but then what's the real point of the conversion? It'd seem like a pretty big opportunity lost there if the whole conversion theme was just a matter of switching up your abilities.

It seems like it's basically FFA elimination + a chance to have some more fun as a chimera after you're dead. Last human standing would win. Sounds fun enough, though I'd like to be wrong and find that it is a team based thing where you convert back and forth.

Dahbomb

Patrickula said:
It seems like it's basically FFA elimination + a chance to have some more fun as a chimera after you're dead. Last human standing would win. Sounds fun enough, though I'd like to be wrong and find that it is a team based thing where you convert back and forth.
Same here.

deejay8595 said:
New pics

img4542711767333.jpg

img4542711e19193.jpg

Is that Residence?

pCeSlAyEr

LanceStern said:

Isn't that the same score Halo 1 got in Famitsu? just wondering..

how is no vehicles in multiplayer more fun?

pCeSlAyEr

Mark Gonzales said:
Because vehicles are not good for all games or game types. I don't think Counter Strike with vehicles would be very fun :)
well right... but couldnt you just omit the vehicles for those game types? or have the option to...

pCeSlAyEr said:
well right... but couldnt you just omit the vehicles for those game types? or have the option to...

The game itself has very limited use of vehicles so they probably didn't want to design a bunch of vehicles just for MP. Time was likely also and issue. You need to test something like that extensively.

pCeSlAyEr said:
Isn't that the same score Halo 1 got in Famitsu? just wondering..

You come from the IGN boards, don't you?

Chet Blevins said:
What does that mean?

It could mean that the shots are designed specifically to showcase the speedtree technology as used in Resistance. Doesn't really look like a gameplay shot, does it?

I think it's getting to be a little bit too late in the game to question the visuals of the game.

Mark Gonzales said:
Because vehicles are not good for all games or game types. I don't think Counter Strike with vehicles would be very fun :)
Actually, you could drive the APC in Siege for a while (back in the day of course).
And no it wasn't too great, and was buggy as hell. It had the chance to balance the map a bit but didn't work out. Lot's of inadvertantly running over your teammates. It was pulled back out pretty quickly if memory serves.

As for vehicles in MP games, it can be a lot of fun, but it's alright without. Does away with the issue of not everyone getting a vehicle and the unlucky guys being stuck trudging along for long periods without any action, or just getting mowed down unfairly.

NinSoX

Banned
Mark Gonzales said:

You didn't just compare Resistance with Counter Strike...........

Patrickula said:
Actually, you could drive the APC in Siege for a while (back in the day of course).
And no it wasn't too great, and was buggy as hell. It had the chance to balance the map a bit but didn't work out. Lot's of inadvertantly running over your teammates. It was pulled back out pretty quickly if memory serves.

As for vehicles in MP games, it can be a lot of fun, but it's alright without. Does away with the issue of not everyone getting a vehicle and the unlucky guys being stuck trudging along for long periods without any action, or just getting mowed down unfairly.

Vehicle based games do have a tendency of becoming matters of snagging a vehicle before anyone. I specifically remember a scenario in BF2 where my team members ran right into the open (and right into the fire of the opposing team) just because they valued the vehicle more than their own "lives". Not saying that vehicles have no place in MP games because they certainly do, but I also don't mind a different focus for some games.

Top Bottom