• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

This kid of mine is seriously cramping my online gaming style. I'm online all the time, but I can never really stick around for longer than 30 minutes at a time. :/

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Still no patches on the Japanese side :/
(And obviously still no unified servers :/)

I can see why Sony doesn't want to unify servers (European guy playing on Japanese servers would bring some lag with him for example) but why not having a system that lets you choose the server but then checks your ping in order to see if your connection is fast enough to not cause any issue with the quality of the experience? A message like "Sorry, your connection is too slow" would appear if that's the case.

I recall playing the first SOCOM on the US servers from Europe quite fine back then. Too bad it was just bacause the DNAS shit wasn't ready yet.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So, since I gotta get something with my PS3, what should I expect from this?

And how's co-op?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SnakeXs said:

That it is much better than you might think.

SnakeXs said:
And how's co-op?

Didn't play much because it's split-screen only (I hate that) but looks very funny. It adds a layer of team play strategy to the whole experience.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
How often does GAF have matches? Since that's probably the only time MP will get.

Ah well, I guess to it's advantage I'm not expecting much. Not a huge FPS fan, but so long as I get a solid experience I'll be fine.

Although all the weapons (and unlockables) will sure help sweeten me up.

Bookey

Professional Monk
lol speaking of the flamethrower, when hit by it is that pretty much the end of you? I've been hit with it and feel retarded running arounf in flames until i just drop dead

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Dude, the Flamethrower actually works now. :D

...and is one of my favorite weapons if I'm facing Chimera.

Mostly, though, I want this option to drop the Carbine. It totally ruins Bullseye --> Shotgun synergy. And the Auger if I'm unlucky enough to pick it up (the one gun I truly loathe).

It would also be nice, perhaps, if they gave us an option to hold a button down/click to pick up a weapon... I can't count the number of times I've killed someone and picked up a weapon without realizing it, then tried to switch to another (say shotgun to double blast) then had a freaking carbine with no grenades in it and die because I'm shooting blanks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bookey said:
lol speaking of the flamethrower, when hit by it is that pretty much the end of you? I've been hit with it and feel retarded running arounf in flames until i just drop dead

Shake the controller...

My Arms Your Hearse said:
It would also be nice, perhaps, if they gave us an option to hold a button down/click to pick up a weapon... I can't count the number of times I've killed someone and picked up a weapon without realizing it, then tried to switch to another (say shotgun to double blast) then had a freaking carbine with no grenades in it and die because I'm shooting blanks.

That would be a damn good idea.

One thing I'm still trying to get used to is memorizing the positions of the quick select wheel so I can just flip to what I want on the fly without thinking about it. I've got most of 'em down but some of the slightly rarer pick ups like the Far Eye and Arc Charger still throw me off now and then.

Remy

After powering through the single player as best I could (*just* hit Manchester), I popped on and did some deathmatch last night.

Such a nice change from Gears, to be able to just have straight DM and not be forced to do team modes. And the framerate really is butter.

Just sent kaching a PM to get a clan invite - look forward to playing with you all in some form soon.

Kittonwy

Banned
Besides fixing stats, the following should be Insomniac's top priority:

THE OPTION TO DROP WEAPONS

THANKS

(please)

Can't you transfer them to a different ring or something?

EDIT: Everyone, I'm sorry I haven't been on much because I've been trying to finish FFXII on my PS3. :p

Safe Bet

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
So I finally get around to actually doing good in some ranked games, and now my stats seem to have fallen into the do-not-update bin. :/
None of my stats from yesterday were counted.

I wonder if they shut down the stat-tracking system while they try to iron out the bugs it had...

patsu

TTP said:
Shake the controller...

Yeah, shake it when you're burning (e.g., step too close to another flaming player or truck). You can also shake the bulleye's tag off.

Next, try shaking frantically and shooting at your enemy at the same time. It's a dance.

btw, I just joined the GAF clan and played a team-based game for the first time last night. Lost 1 and won 1. It's a different experience... Kinda touched to see Chimeras jumping up and down (for joy I assume), shooting at the sky when they won the game.

Never see this type of behaviour in the SP game ;)

AltogetherAndrews said:
So I finally get around to actually doing good in some ranked games, and now my stats seem to have fallen into the do-not-update bin. :/

Same here. Stats still show that I haven't played a single ranked match and I've played at least 10 of 'em so far.

Safe Bet

Banned
Played the game some more last night and I must say...

If you haven't played the game since the patch hit, you haven't played the game.

Here's a 'Good Job Guys' for the people at Insomniac.

Auger + Shotgun = :D

I didn't play before the patch was added on, but I have to say this is one of the most fun (and fair) games to play online. Multiplayer is almost balanced perfectly and isn't broken like other "great FPS" online games.

And yes, the Auger is simply awesome in multiplayer.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
And the Auger if I'm unlucky enough to pick it up (the one gun I truly loathe).
Aww, the Auger is so underappreciated. It's particular useful in CTF games since you've generally got several members of the opposing team camping out at their base. It's good for stealthy recon into their base, using the targeting reticle to "see" through walls and catch 1 or 2 of them off guard. Then, rush in, grab the flag and lay down auger shields as you exit the base to give yourself a little cover as you exit.

JB1981

SnakeXs said:

And how's co-op?

You should expect the best FPS since Halo. And one of the best console launch games ever made. But you won't realize all this til about 2/3 of your way through the game, and after about a dozen games of MP. The game takes some time to get its hooks in you, but once it does you're gonna love it. I haven't played co-op.

JB1981

CTF is the only time I will pick the Auger up, and even then it is only for the shield if I have the flag.

The auger is weird. Sometimes I get a lot kills with it, and other times it feels really underpowered. There seems to be some kind of delay between when you shoot and when the auger bullets actually register on your enemy.

Safe Bet

Banned
CTF is the only time I will pick the Auger up, and even then it is only for the shield if I have the flag.
Have you tried the Auger since the patch?

The thing is deadly now and arguably one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

JB1981 said:
The auger is weird. Sometimes I get a lot kills with it, and other times it feels really underpowered. There seems to be some kind of delay between when you shoot and when the auger bullets actually register on your enemy.

There is a pretty significant delay if you are shooting through walls. It takes time to push through. The gun is totally reliant on headshots to do ANYTHING unless you are shooting through walls, and combined with the small clip and limited ammo... yea.

patsu

The Auger is powerful alright, but I try not to use it because you need to aim more carefully since it runs out quicker than the bullseye and assault rifle. Once I get it going, the shiny, travelling pulses/bullets prevent me from seeing my enemy.

JB1981

There is a pretty significant delay if you are shooting through walls. It takes time to push through. The gun is totally reliant on headshots to do ANYTHING unless you are shooting through walls, and combined with the small clip and limited ammo... yea.

Honestly? I just love shooting that gun! :lol

Sound FX are amazing and I love the shield. I think it's one of the better FPS shooter guns around, especially in SP.

JB1981

Well, I agree about single player... totally amazing. Sniper is still the best BY FAR though. Slowing down time + headshots = total evil.

I'm TERRIBLE with the sniper in MP. I think maybe I have ... 5 .. kills with it. Just feels so unwieldy compared to other FPS snipers.

patsu

Yes I love the Fareye in SP. Wouldn't have made it in SP without it.

As for Auger in MP, does the shield work for you ? coz I still get killed easily with it (compared to other weapons). Can you throw a grenade through the shield ?

JB1981

patsu said:
Yes I love the Fareye in SP. Wouldn't have made it in SP without it.

As for Auger in MP, does the shield work for you ? coz I still get killed easily with it (compared to other weapons). Can you throw a grenade through the shield ?

You can throw a grenade over the shield. That's usually how I get killed when behind the shield. The shield is really much better for long distances.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
That auger sheild has saved my ass plenty of times so one or two "behind-the-shield-grenade-throws" wont stop me from using it. :)

Anyways, anybody up for playing tonight? Maybe around 10pm or so?

JB1981

If we play, let's play an objective-based game. No deathmatch. We should create a party and try to join a ranked meltdown or breach game.

Big-E

I might be able to make it. I was going to go out but Im not feeling too well so some Resistance would be a good option. EDIT: I also agree that it should be an objective team ranked game.

neogaf_cage_free

Chimera Apologist
...and is one of my favorite weapons if I'm facing Chimera.

Mostly, though, I want this option to drop the Carbine. It totally ruins Bullseye --> Shotgun synergy. And the Auger if I'm unlucky enough to pick it up (the one gun I truly loathe).

There is a magic trick to reorder the weapon select wheel which will also reorder the next weapon you swap to when using the next weapon button. When the wheel is open, use X to select a particular slot then select the one you'd like to swap it to and press X again. This shoudl save permanently with your profile as well.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
JB1981 said:
If we play, let's play an objective-based game. No deathmatch. We should create a party and try to join a ranked meltdown or breach game.

An Unranked Gaf server might be easier to controll in case new people want to come in. But I agree, lets go team based. I'll try to remember my headset. :p

neogaf_cage_free said:
There is a magic trick to reorder the weapon select wheel which will also reorder the next weapon you swap to when using the next weapon button. When the wheel is open, use X to select a particular slot then select the one you'd like to swap it to and press X again. This shoudl save permanently with your profile as well.

Hot. I will try this!

Remy

I'll be down for tonight.

I'm running to Best Buy today for a few things - anyone want to recommend a decently priced bluetooth headset?

Top Bottom