• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Dave1988 said:
Could someone supply me with pictures of Resistance running on a SDTV set?

With all the great screenshots of Resistance in HD, I figured this thread needed some SD lovin' too, lol.

Bus on fire:
RRSD00.jpg

I love broken glass in this game:
RRSD02.jpg

RRSD03.jpg

Airbrake LAARK:
RRSD06.jpg

RRSD09.jpg

RRSD12.jpg

Top left is Arc, bottom left is Rosmore, right is Bullseye:
RRSD13.jpg

Setting up Bullseye trap:
RRSD15.jpg

Trap moving around:
RRSD16.jpg

RRSD17.jpg

I was scared to play Resistance on a SDTV at first (fearing how bad it might look), but I had to settle because it was either SD or no Resistance for 3 weeks. My SDTV is like 10 years old and doesn't even have component in, so I had to hook up my PS3 with the crappy composite cables PS3 came with (and everyone bitches about).

I used a 3.2 MP camera to take these, so these screenies don't look as good as it should in real life. In fact, no picture taken of SDTVs look nearly as good as it does in real life, so keep that in mind. And the lighting wasn't ideal either.

Overall, I was pretty shocked at how good the Resistance/PS3 graphics are on a crappy SDTV hooked up with composite cables. Anyway, I might take more screenshots when I get back to college in a week... but on my Sammy 26" LCD.

JB1981

Big-E said:
After all my time playing Resistance my game has only frozen once and it came after the patch so you might be on to something.

Nothing to do with the patch. The game freezes online when the host quits.

My Arms Your Hearse said:
Had a match against you earlier. Grimsby Team Deathmatch to 5000. You were human and I was Chimera (Beren). I totally raped your team with the shotgun for about 103 kills <3

Incidentally, the next game froze halfway through :lol

Which is a shame because the room thinned out considerably and I was REALLY racking up the kills and now they're all totally lost :/

Ah, so that was you that was on my ass all the time. I need to start using the shotgun more. I got a bunch of kills in a game last night; sneaking around careless buggers and blasting them in the rear end with a shotgun is good fun.

That was a good game of Meltdown last night, too bad I had to run. And for ****'s sake people, get headsets already. I feel like a compete barnaclehead trying to talk tactics into the mic, only to be met with dead silence. Not that my tactics are that great to begin with, but come on. Oh well, my team still won, so maybe not listening to my tactics is the way to go. :lol

About SD, I'm surprised over how good the game actually looks even on SD sets. I remember Ted stating in a blog or interview that it was designed to look good on SD sets, nice to see that he wasn't just talking crap.

patsu said:
Oh shit, so everyone's gonna pump bullets into my head when I am on the deck. I'm one of those face-me-like-a-real-man guys. :p

See, this is where communication comes in handy. I was playing a TDM match on Lexington a little while ago, and this same bloody character would always snag the sniper and start killing off my team mates. But with a little bit of communication, we managed to sniff him out, and devise a decent plan to take him out. With no one using headsets, that would have been impossible.

I'll get a blue-tooth headset before we play next time. We were unbeatable without headsets, imagine what we'll do with 'em.

Also, just beat the game on Hard. Surprisingly, the last part of the game wasn't nearly as though as I thought it'd be. Superhuman, here I come.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game looks pretty good on my Sony Wega 27" SDTV. Does nothing to wow me after seeing Gears of War on my X360, but it's nice enough.

GAZERK said:
I'll get a blue-tooth headset before we play next time. We were unbeatable without headsets, imagine what we'll do with 'em.

Also, just beat the game on Hard. Surprisingly, the last part of the game wasn't nearly as though as I thought it'd be. Superhuman, here I come.

I bought the cheapo Motorola H300 headset, seems to work fine, at least considering the low cost.

Bulla564

Banned
I need help guys... I haven't even been able to play the campaign because right away I get the "The data is corrupt. (80029207)" error.

If I play, next time I start, the saved game is not there.

This is killing me!!! I need to play this game... anybody know what I can do to fix this?

JB1981

Bulla564 said:
I need help guys... I haven't even been able to play the campaign because right away I get the "The data is corrupt. (80029207)" error.

If I play, next time I start, the saved game is not there.

This is killing me!!! I need to play this game... anybody know what I can do to fix this?

Sounds like something's up with your hdd.

So I have a major problem now, though it isn't really directly related to Resistance or my PS3.

My bluetooth headset (H700) died last night while playing (battery, though I swear I had just charged it) and now it WILL NOT go into pairing mode. No matter what. I took it out into the woods half a mile from my house/any house/structure and IT WILL STILL NOT GO INTO PAIRING MODE. The ring is emitting a faint blue light at a very rapid pace and does so for as long as the boom is open.

I have no clue where the manual/etc is for this thing, but I'm not seeing a way to force it into pairing mode and now it seems rather worthless. Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind, I'm a moron!

patsu

Crackerman16 said:
Superhuman is quite difficult but it's not that bad if you take it slowly, use lots of cover, and make good use of all the (new) weapons you're given.

What new weapons are available in superhuman ?

patsu said:
What new weapons are available in superhuman ?

I think he's just talking about the weapons you get going through the campaign the second time through. You might've played it twice, but i'm going to blabber anyways...so far I've gotten the Reaper and some force-sheild frag (forget the specific name).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
GAZERK said:
I think he's just talking about the weapons you get going through the campaign the second time through. You might've played it twice, but i'm going to blabber anyways...so far I've gotten the Reaper and some force-sheild frag (forget the specific name).

That's the Backlash Grenade. It's awesome cos it not only protects you, but also sends the enemy bullets back to them.

patsu

Ok thanks !

Incidentally, my stats are also not updated now. :(
Let me know when it's fixed !

... still had fun duking it out with guys online though. Just 5 minutes ago, I ran out of ammo and caught another guy loading his Carbine. Delivered the first punch. I didn't know why he did not shoot after reloading, but we got into this intense strafe and melee exchanges in the Somerset forest for about 5 seconds.

It was fun mostly because I think we were trying to lay down the other before someone else kill us both. Sure enough, someone shot me from behind shortly after. But I had the widest grin on my face when I died.

The people I have the most trouble with online are the critically one-sided guys. You know, the guy who always goes after the same weapon, or always attempts to kill you a certain way. Technically, them being so predictable should make it easier to kill them, but I think I'm actually keeping myself from killing them because I'm baffled by their predictability, and because I'm genuinely curious to see if they are going to do that same thing again, or if maybe this time they will behave differently.

Big-E

I know what you mean and I am guilty of it sometimes. In ranked games I tend to mix it up but in unranked I sometimes feel like staying up in my high perch and just killing anything in my field of view :) .

Going after the same weapon over and over and over doesn't necessarily mean you are critically one-sided. It means you know the map and which weapons dominate on it. In the case of Grimsby, it is the shotgun. There is no reason really to use any other weapon unless you are in the very open portions outside. I mean, you could for the sake of variety, but your score is gonna suffer.

Why would I want to spend a few seconds shooting someone when I can pop out of a room and one shot you, pop back in, then pop back out and 1 shot the next guy?

Going after the same weapon over and over and over doesn't necessarily mean you are critically one-sided. It means you know the map and which weapons dominate on it. In the case of Grimsby, it is the shotgun. There is no reason really to use any other weapon unless you are in the very open portions outside. I mean, you could for the sake of variety, but your score is gonna suffer.

Why would I want to spend a few seconds shooting someone when I can pop out of a room and one shot you, pop back in, then pop back out and 1 shot the next guy?

Well, I'm really referring to the LAARK hoggers and certain sniper rifle fiends, and this comment came about after playing a few rounds with the same very predictable guy making a mad dash for the LAARK everytime. He wouldn't even fire his other weapons, it was the LAARK or nothing for this guy. Most fun was watching him when he realized someone had already snagged it. I have never before seen confusion and lack of purpose communicated so perfectly through the movements of a virtual character. Hell, I'd snag the LAARK just to watch the reactions of this guy.

And hey, I'm "guilty" of it myself; I'm like a fish out of water when I forgot to check my ammo counter and run out of Carbine ammo. But at some point using the exact same strategy just gets old. Although apparently others disagree, and that's fine. There's certainly nothing wrong about it, I just don't quite understand it and that tends to get me killed.

That, and I don't like the LAARK. I don't like wielding it, and I don't like other people wielding it. Against me.

I know what you're talking about. That problem of repitition is promenient in Halo 2 online. People go after only the "power weapons" in every round guaranteeing boring/unfair gameplay. I haven't had this problem so much in Resistance though. I haven't witnessed a "sniper/rocket launcher" whore the whole time I've played online. I'm sure I'll encounter them sooner or later, but the way the weapons are placed on the maps seem to help fix this problem.

patsu

Well... the 2 weapons I don't get are the Dragon and the Arc Charger. Are they effective at all in MP ?

As for repetitive playing style, I tend to play "Conversion" matches more conservatively. Scouting for good areas and handy weapons, then take out the enemies one by one. Usually this means grenading, LAARK or FarEye.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
patsu said:
Well... the 2 weapons I don't get are the Dragon and the Arc Charger. Are they effective at all in MP ?

As for repetitive playing style, I tend to play "Conversion" matches more conservatively. Scouting for good areas and handy weapons, then take out the enemies one by one. Usually this means grenading, LAARK or FarEye.

Tried the Dragon against a chimera recently? :).

Also, the Arc Charger is decent if you know how to use it. But in Breach and Meltdown it's an absolute monster.

JS

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
jstevenson said:
Tried the Dragon against a chimera recently? :).

Also, the Arc Charger is decent if you know how to use it. But in Breach and Meltdown it's an absolute monster.

JS
I was kinda wondering about that. The dragon does more damage against the chimera for obvious reasons, but theres no weapon that does more damage to a human AFAIK. I think it would be nice if chimera had a weapon that did less damage to them compared to human. Just to make a it a little fair. Maybe if a chimera was caught around the blast radius of a wild lark rocket it might do less damage, or maybe the arc charger could do more damage to a human.

Bad_Boy said:
I was kinda wondering about that. The dragon does more damage against the chimera for obvious reasons, but theres no weapon that does more damage to a human AFAIK. I think it would be nice if chimera had a weapon that did less damage to them compared to human. Just to make a it a little fair. Maybe if a chimera was caught around the blast radius of a wild lark rocket it might do less damage, or maybe the arc charger could do more damage to a human.

It's called Rage Mode. EVERY other weapon does more damage for Chimera.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
It's called Rage Mode. EVERY other weapon does more damage for Chimera.
oh, sorry about that. :X I think I forgot about the extra strength rage mode gives, I think I just thought it was for melee attacks for some reason.

I feel stupid now :X

patsu

Had some nice ranked games with [GAF]TheRealBookey (spelling might have been a tad different). Manchester and Thames I believe (I was Beren)

Ah yes, Beren and TheRealBookey, I think I played against both of you (separately) before. You are better than me :p

I play Ranked Games the most, so I seldom encounter Chimeras. Will try Dragon next time in Team DeathMatch.

Any tips on using Arc Charger ?

patsu said:
Ah yes, Beren and TheRealBookey, I think I played against both of you (separately) before. You are better than me :p

I play Ranked Games the most, so I seldom encounter Chimeras. Will try Dragon next time in Team DeathMatch.

Any tips on using Arc Charger ?

Arc Charger is a mixed bag for me. It is a decent 1v1 weapon, though if the weapon overheats you're in trouble. It's most suited for use when outnumbered. The secondary fire will tag all the enemies in the area then normal fire will hit them all and do highly amplified damage (the more tagged enemies that are nearby the more damage the weapon does).

J-Rzez

Seems like "Inf ammo" and 100+ damage multiplier seems to be the majority selection of maps in custom... Still can't believe the lack of players with headsets after this time even...

Still have yet to see crippling lag in this game yet after playing a whole bunch tonight... :)

I wish some of the weapons were a little more usable in MP. I usually find myself sticking with the shotgun and carbine most of the time, fareye too if it's not a chaotic freeforall.

So when is gaf night?

You know, I figured the fascination people have had with infinite ammo and infinite would have died out a bit by now, but it seems to have become even more popular over the Holidays. :/ Maybe it'd be more tolerable if the infinite ammo affected only primary fire and certainly not grenades.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AltogetherAndrews said:
You know, I figured the fascination people have had with infinite ammo and infinite would have died out a bit by now, but it seems to have become even more popular over the Holidays. :/ Maybe it'd be more tolerable if the infinite ammo affected only primary fire and certainly not grenades.

When ppl are given the choice between careful, somewhat sneaky tactical team manouvering and mindless shootout they will always go for the latter. That's why I like what Epic and Ubi did with Gears of War and Double Agent online modes. You gotta stick with their rules and look, ppl actually come to like it when they have no other option! I could host an online session of Resistance that resembles SOCOM, but everyone would get bored, quit and join a random deathmatch with infinite everything.

I love the tension that preludes the action more than the action itself. And I love to be scared to die (which I hardly do when I have infinite respwans).

RavenFox

Banned
I finally got to taste this game on Saturday and oh my my my. Insomniac bless you and bless you. This is such a treat Im so hooked. Massive enviroments, so much going on on screen and cell just laughs at it. Thank You.

TTP said:
When ppl are given the choice between careful, somewhat sneaky tactical team manouvering and mindless shootout they will always go for the latter. That's why I like what Epic and Ubi did with Gears of War and Double Agent online modes. I could host an online session of Resistance that resembles SOCOM, but everyone would get bored, quit and join a random deathmatch with infinite everything.

Hmm, I'm actually thinking about setting up something more permanent, a website promoting and allowing for match-ups for those who would prefer something a little more tactical, or at least not quite as mindless. If anyone wants to contribute with coding and setting up some basic database stuff for this project, let me know.

KTallguy

Banned
RavenFox said:
I finally got to taste this game on Saturday and oh my my my. Insomniac bless you and bless you. This is such a treat Im so hooked. Massive enviroments, so much going on on screen and cell just laughs at it. Thank You.

Yea, I bought this game on Saturday and played through a good amount of the campaign (4+ areas) and did a little MP action. It's a really well made, impressive game. The earlier levels are not as interesting as the later ones, which is unfortunate...

Although I had one annoying bug happen to me already, basically I was driving the jeep and it got stuck in the wall of a mountain :lol ... I had to quit the game...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
For people that have PM'd me over the past day or so for clan invites (akachan, rc213, gunstar77) bear with me and I'll have invites out to you tonight.

AltogetherAndrews said:
At the same time, there's something to be said for the fact that Insomniac's engine can handle the kind of situations that infinite ammo creates - when you've got several air-fuel and hedgehog grenades going off amidst a pitched firefight among a dozen or more players onscreen - without breaking a sweat. I have to say that's as much fun to play through at times (or try to play through) as a more measured scenario. Certainly, I'd like to see a better balance of both types of game scenarios though.

Shawn

Banned
I'm on my second playthrough. The more I play it, the more I like it.

First I played on Easy. Now I'm playing on Normal. My next playthrough will be on Hard.

This game looks so frikkin amazing through HDMI on my 32-inch Bravia.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Shawn said:
I'm on my second playthrough. The more I play it, the more I like it.

First I played on Easy. Now I'm playing on Normal. My next playthrough will be on Hard.

This game looks so frikkin amazing through HDMI on my 32-inch Bravia.

If you are not too far in, I suggest you go for Hard immediately. Quite more rewarding/challenging experience.

JB1981

kaching said:
For people that have PM'd me over the past day or so for clan invites (akachan, rc213, gunstar77) bear with me and I'll have invites out to you tonight.

At the same time, there's something to be said for the fact that Insomniac's engine can handle the kind of situations that infinite ammo creates - when you've got several air-fuel and hedgehog grenades going off amidst a pitched firefight among a dozen or more players onscreen - without breaking a sweat. I have to say that's as much fun to play through at times (or try to play through) as a more measured scenario. Certainly, I'd like to see a better balance of both types of game scenarios though.

It's a lot more fun when you're not playing an objective-based game like Breach where you're being squeezed into a hole for an hour. It's stalemates like that that ruin it for me.

kaching said:

Oh, I'm not saying there isn't a place for mayhem, I just wish for some balance, hence the idea of creating a site dedicated to setting up less spammy and more "focused" matches. With Custom games seemingly focused on all out carnage, it might be a good idea to have a gathering point for those who wish to play the game in a different fashion. We'll see.

so hey... how do I get that character skin with the skull head and black military suit body?

I registered for the Resistance site, but I can't find where to get it. :(

Mejilan said:
Game looks pretty good on my Sony Wega 27" SDTV. Does nothing to wow me after seeing Gears of War on my X360, but it's nice enough.

gears holds up very well on a sd though...I dont think the difference was that big on an HD from what ive seen and played

Top Bottom