• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

BuddyC

jetjevons said:
Anyone still playing the campaign? I'm on my second playthrough, this time on Super Human, looking for missing documents and picking up skill points.

I am loving it!
I've been working through the campaign again myself as well. It's not often I pick a game up again, especially after I've beaten it, but the weapons and artifical intelligence keep things from getting stale. Now if I could only find the time to play in one of those NeoGAF sessions.

I've played through twice on Normal, once alone and once with a buddy in co-op.

I'll be playing through on Hard shortly.

Is there any way to see the skill points you've racked up?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm finding the whole substory told through the intelligence documents with
The Cloven forces following you and monitoring your progress
really compelling. You never see a
Cloven trooper alive right?
. At least not up until till the last cut-scene. I noticed that when
Parker first mentions the Chimera to Hale he responds "Chimera"? like he doesn't know what she is talking about.
. Then there's the English
secret weapon which, when Hale touches the truck carrying it, he gets a psychic flash of some horrendous massive creature
. My guess is
Hale is actually a Cloven experiment going through its first test run. The Cloven call the Chimera something else, hence Hale's ignorance of the term. I figure both the Cloven the English "secret weapon"
are going to feature prominently in the sequel. I can't wait!

Doom_Bringer said:
Is the infantry combat in this game as good as BF2's infantry combat? I think BF2 is more fun without the vehicles and artillery.

Are there ranks and unlockable weapons in the multiplayer mode?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Ignatz Mouse said:

Yep. It's a menu option.

Treo360

jetjevons said:
Parker first mentions the Chimera to Hale he responds "Chimera"? like he doesn't know what she is talking about.
secret weapon which, when Hale touches the truck carrying it, he gets a psychic flash of some horrendous massive creature
. My guess is
Hale is actually a Cloven experiment going through its first test run. The Cloven call the Chimera something else, hence Hale's ignorance of the term. I figure both the Cloven the English "secret weapon"

I thought the reason that Hale reacts the way he does is
because the secret weapon isn't a weapon per se but rather the fact that it's an Angel in containment. Hale senses the Angel's cry for help, but shrugs it off, as he does multiple times through out the story
Also in the beginning its implied that the Americans
don't know what the Chimera are in the first place, this is why Hale questions the use of the word Chimera.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
Can't say how the infantry combat compares to BF2, but you can gain rank in the MP and there are no unlockable weapons, just in SP on the second playthrough of the game.

Safe Bet

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
Are there ranks and unlockable weapons in the multiplayer mode?
There are ranks, ribbons, medals, detailed stat tracking and unlockable character models in MP but not unlockable weapons.

KTallguy

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:

How do you unlock Hard mode? I've beat the game on Normal.

tanod

when is my burrito
JB1981 said:
I noticed while playing last night, that the bullseye has a much slower rate of fire in SP compared to MP. I wonder why that is.

Maybe, it has the speed of the
Mark 2, but the color and damage of the first bullseye.

Wollan

DON't FORGET THE SCHEDULED GAME TONIGHT @ 7PM PST. (5 hours, 45min from now) Details below.

Reposted for great justice.

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)
M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
thundersabre - thundersabre
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
BruceLeeRoy - CFD_BruceLeeRoy
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
Mackaveli - Mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Angelus - PorkChopExpress
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
Ignatz Mouse - IgnatzMouse
XMonkey - snak
bigfatgameguy - gamerecks
drohne - drohne
TheJollyCorner - IrishFigg

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
greatestjediever - greatestjediever
Typhonsentra - Typhonsentra
Big-E - BigE
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
AltogetherAndrews - PoisonMarket
Lancelet Pink - GummadoonKnight
rc213 - rc213
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind
Arde0 - Arde0
djkimothy - djkimothy
Safe_Bet - Safe_Bet
hukasmokincaterpillar - DirtyWater

Matt_C - Matarick
M3freak - m3freak
Gremmie4 - MOLeary
teepo - teepo
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
garrickk - Garrick
jjasper - jjasper
Remy - RemyVJA
I3rand0 - I3rand0
Y2Kevbug11 - Y2Kevbug11

snack - snackcakeofd00m
SnakeXs - SnakeXs
Phoenix Down - Sky2k
aloof - aloof
ijm72 - younghov72
Pristince_Condition - HijoDelLocoRoco
OverHeat - OverHeat
SonyCowboy - scowboy
dark_preacher - dark_preacher
ChanHuk - ChanHuk

LJ11 - LJ11
Red Blaster - Ranger-Albatross
Aeon712 - Aeon712
Captain N - Captain_N
The Jer - TheJer
Christopher - Chris_Russo
Snah - Lemm

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 7pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

Remy said:
The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

I forget who came up with the term in context. Wasn't my idea, although I seem to be the Preacher Of All That Is Wedge-like.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Aeon712

jetjevons said:
. My guess is

I have a huge urge to highlight what you wrote since I'm on my first play through. I'm playing on normal and the mission with the jeep is seriously hurting me. On my co-op game with my friend we've only reached a couple missions after :(. I wanna be able to highlight spoilers without being spoiled :(.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Treo360 said:
because the secret weapon isn't a weapon per se but rather the fact that it's an Angel in containment. Hale senses the Angel's cry for help, but shrugs it off, as he does multiple times through out the story
don't know what the Chimera are in the first place, this is why Hale questions the use of the word Chimera.

Where the heck did you get the
Angel
stuff from?! That would be so cool if true.

SleazyC

The secret weapon is an Angel. It is pretty much given to you in the commentary in between levels but it isn't blurted out exactly

lunlunqq

Treo360 said:

well, it showed that the american soldiers or the general public did not about chimera. the american government is another story.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
SleazyC said:
The secret weapon is an Angel. It is pretty much given to you in the commentary in between levels but it isn't blurted out exactly

Can you remember any examples of things she said that would lead to this conclusion. Not questioning you, just curious. That thing sure didn't look like an
Angel
to me.

Azrael

jetjevons said:
. My guess is

The Cloven are never seen in the campaign alive or dead, only referenced in the intel files. The troopers that appear in the final cut scene are the U.S. black ops force X-Ray (the name X-Ray coming from decoded morse code messages in the game). There's a list of decoded morse code messages here.

http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=2734.msg34455#msg34455

The Cloven are unreleated to X-Ray. The intel files say they speak Russian, so they are probably Russian soldiers, and their involvement is never really explained.

Azrael said:
The Cloven are unreleated to X-Ray. The intel files say they speak Russian, so they are probably Russian soldiers, and their involvement is never really explained.

I thought the x-rays were all American soldiers. Think Black Ops. Weren't the Russians the first to "discover" the Chimera? That's where they all broke free, supposedly.

The sequel better involve the main character kicking ass across Europe.

garrickk

This is a good discussion about the story. I like the different takes on things

I agree that the Cloven are certainly Russian somehow, but I thought all the American special ops that you see dead in various places approaching the end indicated that the American's had been actively fighting the Chimera in some capacity for a while except it was done more covertly

I like jetjevons's idea that Hale was an American experiment of some type. Maybe they developed a type of serum that would allow his body to not fully succumb to the Chimera and he's a guinea pig they are following

The Jer

I'm not sure if any of you guys have visited RFOMPS3.com, but there seems to be more hints about the story there.
There is alot about the US alternate history, including President Grace being elected for a third term and implementing allot of propaganda. The US government dismiss missed anything that seems out of the ordinary, but continue to build military bases around US boarders. They also mention a very large US base in Alaska, as well as reports of heavy weapons (nukes) being used in Alaska, which I assume is part of an attempt to keep the chimera from crossing over into Alaska from Russia. Its very evident the US government know allot more about what is going on than they let on and are keeping it secret from the American public. I think we've pretty much settled on the black ops being from the US?

They also talk about the cloven. Cartwright seemed to notice that the cloven consider both humans and chimera as enemies (not sure how correct he was in this). It is mentioned that the cloven are known for there scars and are known to mutilate themselves. It is also pointed out that they tended to go out after battles and mutilate both chimeran and human bodies after a battle. In the game, at the conversion center, one of the intel documents states that some being held there committed suicide rather than being the converted. Could the cloven be mutilating chimera, so that they cannot heal and mutilating humans so that they cannot be converted into chimera?

They also mention miners discovering an underground structure in Nevada. After talking to US government officials, the miners deny the discovery. What's up with all these underground structures?
any ideas?

Also, I haven't found all the intel documents? How much story is in these? Anything extremely important?

Snah

Banned
hey guys i'll be on.

send me a buddy invite (Lemm)

also, send me a clan invite please, and invite me to the partay

Snah

Banned
I tried PMing kaching (added him to my buddy list), but i haven't gotten an invite to the game.

someone who is part of this group please send me an invite

JB1981

Wow. Fascinating discussion above about the mysteries of the story in this game. I'm playing through the game a second time and have had a lot of fun sifting through all the intel i've collected. there's a few here and there that I've yet to recover, but the stuff i have found has been really intriguing.
I do like the idea that Hale is some kind of hybrid experiment created by the US. And how do we know the Black Ops guys are American again?
What a meaty store when you start to dig into it. Damn.

aloof

Banned
yes, i'm still playing through the campaign on superhuman. i've taken a break to try MP..

anyone who tried to add my id, it should work now. id is: aloof

(like anyone tried)

jjasper

Man I got to the tower in london and figure it is the end so I tried to press through it tonight but it is tough and the damn checkpoints are so spread out that it is definately kicking my ass.

and when that angel jumps out of no where right after you get the Mark II
I was like holy shit and just started shooting.

garrickk

jjasper said:
and when that angel jumps out of no where right after you get the Mark II
I was like holy shit and just started shooting.
Did you notice that his scream does a different amount of damage to you depending on how close you are to him?

Deepblue

Banned
JB1981 said:
Wow. Fascinating discussion above about the mysteries of the story in this game. I'm playing through the game a second time and have had a lot of fun sifting through all the intel i've collected. there's a few here and there that I've yet to recover, but the stuff i have found has been really intriguing.
I do like the idea that Hale is some kind of hybrid experiment created by the US. And how do we know the Black Ops guys are American again?

I though the story presentation was far too weak when they obviously have the background. It just wasn't very compelling to me.

Kittonwy

Banned
JB1981 said:

Sometimes when you go near a cloven you can hear his radio transmission, which is kind of interesting. ~_~

M3Freak

Banned
Played a few games tonight - lots of fun guys.

I was having a blast on that last team deathmatch, but my wifi connection must have dropped out because I got disconnected. Sucks - I was playing well!

Anyway, see ya all next time.

The Jer

Kittonwy said:
Sometimes when you go near a cloven you can hear his radio transmission, which is kind of interesting. ~_~

Wait? I thought it was decided that the cloven weren't following you, it was the Black Ops:

Azrael said:
The Cloven are never seen in the campaign alive or dead, only referenced in the intel files. The troopers that appear in the final cut scene are the U.S. black ops force X-Ray (the name X-Ray coming from decoded morse code messages in the game). There's a list of decoded morse code messages here.

http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=2734.msg34455#msg34455

The morse code messages makes me more interested in the story. I copied the transcript below for anyone who hasn't read it yet or is to lazy to follow links.:)

*TAKEN FROM boardsus.playstation.com*

appreciate it, it was fun. Looks like the morse code is all done, unless there's a dead body we missed somewhere.

Here's the full run down: (Again, minor SPOILERS possible)

York
"Red forces encountered. Non-uniform opposition confirmed."
"Biological attack imminent. Stand down. Observe any resistance."

Grimsby
"Red facility located. Study of infection path proceeding."
"Friendly interception anticipated. Abort Grayskin capture."
"Friendly intelligence chatter positive to Grayskin's resistance."

Manchester
"Red anti air potential excessive. Hold off insertion."
"Grayskin encounter with angel inevitable."
"Red tunnel network supports grid theory."

Nottingham
"Friendly excavation investigation pending."
"Red forces at friendly base in zone L770."
"Grayskin cut off in friendly base. Red forces present."

Cheshire
"Grayskin exposure compromises sensitive data."
"Angel presence in base confirmed."
"Cloven enroute. Purge base of shift data once grayskin clear"
"Grayskin identified in zone R16."

Somerset
"Friendly escort limited. Grayskin recapture is go."
"Sequoia type 6 tower confirmed. Grayskin shows no reaction to active tharp field."
"Blue units evacuated from friendly base. Remaining evidence of blue presence negligible."
"Team nine sabotage goliath spire launchers at assembly site and report."

Bristol
"Evacuation of tier one personnel imperative. Red side capture t...."
"Evacuation proceeding to zone K5 to join blue force."
"Grayskin believed enroute to Pandora."

Bracknell
"Team 6 lost contact in tunnels. Presumed eliminated."
"Visit Insomniac Games dot com for Resistance Fall of Man unlockable skins."
"Blue forces enroute to London. Secondary units establishing foothold HQ."

London
"Grayskin located. Floating box escort resumed."
"Visit RFOMPS3 dot com and enter node password frozen fortress"

"Route to Pandora cleared of anti air."

Thames
"Goliath units closing on pandora assault force."
"Visit RFOMPS3 dot com and enter node password several concerns"

"Friendly breach of Pandora. Team 4 escort collection units below meniscus."

Tower
"Custodians live below meniscus. Mission window closing. Secure hope device at any cost."
"Grayskin intercept failed. Execute secondary objecives. Corvus inbound."
"Tharp spikes traced to Grayskin. Shifted teams ranged actions only."

Credit for these is shared with cdLNiM (big thanks for putting these all together) and djjjjs2000. Also thanks to everybody posting on the fourms here and elsewhere for their ideas. Slacker George over at GameFAQs is me, if you're wondering why I left him out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
--

Final Speculation, 100% positive:

Grayskin is Hale.

Reds are the Chimera.

Pandora is the main Chimeran tower, in London.

----

Probable:

Corvus are the X-Ray team's VTOL craft. (Corvus means crow, or raven)

Blue refers to the American forces in Britain.

Tharp Fields are created by the Chimeran towers.

------

*TAKEN FROM boardsus.playstation.com*

Remy

So, was the massive drop last night because of the 1.5 firmware update? It's the only time I've been kicked out mid-game back to the party screen, with the black "this is the PS3 talking, not the game" overlay.

The games were excellent though, especially that turnaround on Meltdown. I also loved the Breach strategy we ended up with on Manchester - not only did we rush the base, we took all the nodes in the process.

And I'm actually starting to feel bad for the people we're wedging...

jjasper

garrickk said:
Did you notice that his scream does a different amount of damage to you depending on how close you are to him?

Yeah I did nice little effect.

Also I know some people hate it when the story of a game is told by finding things (like Resident Evil, Metroid Prime) but I personally love it I feel it is much more involving and you feel like the events are actually happening around you. I haven't beaten the game yet but know I will play through this game multiple times trying to find all the intel cause the story is so damn involving and awesome.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
The Jer said:
Wait? I thought it was decided that the cloven weren't following you, it was the Black Ops:

The morse code messages makes me more interested in the story. I copied the transcript below for anyone who hasn't read it yet or is to lazy to follow links.:)

Holy crap. That is all so awesome.
Hale is definitely "Grayskin".
I had no idea the story was this deep. And I love how it's not shoved down your throat (*cough MGS2 cough*) it's up to the player to dig a little deeper if they want more.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jer, nice of you to repost the morse code translations here. I've been curious about those but not enough to stop and decipher them myself. Glad someone did.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
JB1981 said:
$600!!!!!!!!! caused this to be the most overlooked game of last year. Shame.

I've got to say when I played the first couple hours on a friends PS3 I really wasn't feeling it. But now I've sat down and taken the time to get into it I'm enjoying it more than pretty much any other FPS since Halo 1.

jetjevons said:
I've got to say when I played the first couple hours on a friends PS3 I really wasn't feeling it. But now I've sat down and taken the time to get into it I'm enjoying it more than pretty much any other FPS since Halo 1.

nice! Man I hope this game sells better in the future. I can't wait for PS3 price drop. I love FPS's with deep story lines, I thought the PDA logs in Doom 3 were really neat.

There is hoping it will do well in Yurope since it takes place in Yurope and everything. Let's hope Sony decides to hold back Heavenly Sword a little

JB1981

Regarding sound quality over mics

jstevenson: are you guys aware of the amount of feedback and background noise we get when playing Resistance? In very large groups the amount of noise is pretty bad. There's a lot of echoing (likely user error). Is this something you guys or Sony is aware of or working on perhaps? It would go a long way toward making communication easier.

jjasper

I really do hope this game continues to sell well. It is one of the best FPS games released in quite some time and really doesn't get the praise it deserves.

JB1981 said:
Regarding sound quality over mics

jstevenson: are you guys aware of the amount of feedback and background noise we get when playing Resistance? In very large groups the amount of noise is pretty bad. There's a lot of echoing (likely user error). Is this something you guys or Sony is aware of or working on perhaps? It would go a long way toward making communication easier.

I think that's just some people with their mics set too sensitive. I always see a couple guys' names down in the lower right even when they aren't talking, and I hear other people in their houses. :lol

JB1981

Ignatz Mouse said:
I think that's just some people with their mics set too sensitive. I always see a couple guys' names down in the lower right even when they aren't talking, and I hear other people in their houses. :lol

Well, I hate to make the Xbox Live comparison but I guess I have to. Mic quality on Xbox Live is vastly superior to what we have now on the PS3. I rarely get any kind of feedback (unless someone is using a wireless which introduces a buzzing, which is a design flaw) and peoples' voices are just a lot clearer, and free of background noise. I almost never hear what's going on in other peoples houses. I never hear crying babies. Sometimes I'll hear someone BLASTING their music (can't fault the headset for that). I talked with LJ through voice chat in the XMB the other night and things were much clearer, but in-game voice chat quality really needs to be addressed.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
JB1981 said:
$600!!!!!!!!! caused this to be the most overlooked game of last year. Shame.
I dunno...at the rate I keep getting PMs for people to be added to the NeoGAF clan, it seems like the word is getting out and people who have PS3s are buying it at a steady pace.

Top Bottom