• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

jjasper

That card is awesome, anyway has it ever been disclosed as to how
the Chimera control the weather?

Edit: Oh I just noticed the one with only 2 eyes....

That's great. The "Ruh Roh" expression toward the flamethrower... must of been drawn after the patch. :D

anyway has it ever been disclosed as to how the Chimera
control the weather?

Not specifically, but it's something to do with the towers. Speaking of which, didn't one of the cut scenes say the towers had actually been
excavated, War of the Worlds style?

jjasper

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Not specifically, but it's something to do with the towers. Speaking of which, didn't one of the cut scenes say the towers had actually been

Yes, you actually see them
digging one out of the ground at Cheddar Gourge

Kittonwy

Banned
hukasmokincaterpillar said:
That's great. The "Ruh Roh" expression toward the flamethrower... must of been drawn after the patch. :D

Yep yep.

Aeon712

I really need to end this game, all this spoiler text is killing me. I feel so out of the loop for not getting the hint :(.

jjasper

Aeon712 said:
I really need to end this game, all this spoiler text is killing me. I feel so out of the loop for not getting the hint :(.

If it makes you feel any better I beat the game and I am not really seeing the hint.

BuddyC

What a testament it is to the universe Insomniac's created that you guys are searching for hints in a holiday card. I just thought it was an awesome little touch -- I didn't expect it to fuel speculation.

Anyways, all this talk MyResistance.net (
something buried in Nevada, the build-up in Alaska
) has me pining for more.

Safe Bet

Banned
There happens to be 18 gaffers (in the clan) who hold officer ranks...

[/random fact]

Considering the amount of gametime it takes to make officer, that says alot about how much fun Resistance is to play online.

The game has only gotten better and better since launch...

Perhaps there's hope for new maps/modes in the near future?

djkimothy

Safe Bet said:

[/random fact]

Considering the amount of gametime it takes to make officer, it says alot about how fun Resistance is to play online.

Perhaps there's hope for new maps/modes dlc in the near future?

What is the hierarchy and what are the requirements for each promotion? I just asked to join the gaf clan so I'll try to work my way up and not dissapoint!

And I promise I'll join some games. :)

jjasper

BuddyC said:
What a testament it is to the universe Insomniac's created that you guys are searching for hints in a holiday card. I just thought it was an awesome little touch -- I didn't expect it to fuel speculation.

Yeah I have become pretty interested in the history of the Chimera, like what happened in Russia, origins, what secret operations the US was invovled in, Hale's role, what impact the effects of the battle in London will have on the Chimerian invasion, will the humans
push forward into Europe to clear out the Chimera or stay back defending the reclaimed UK? will atomic bombs be developed and used to take out key towers? Will the US invade Russia and create 2 theathers in the battle?
, who are the actual leaders of the Chimera?
we know the angels control things around the towers but there has to be more heirarchy than that. what the hell are they digging for and why are these towers here? what will the US do with Hale now that he is in government custody? Will they be able to develop a vaccine for the virus?

Resistance 2 is now my most wanted game:lol

M3Freak

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Yes USB seems to be the way to go, only problem I've had is that it's stopped letting others hear me after awhile. Simple unplug and reconnect fixes that though.

I get that too. It's annoying because it happens at the worst possible time.

I have to say that I'm not an FPS in general. The last couple of console FPS games I've played and owned were from the Time Splitter series. They were good games, but they have nothing on R:FoM.

I'm a little further in the campaign now (
the level immediately after killing the very first stalker
. The game just keeps getting better and better.

The onliny multiplayer is more fun than I thought it would be. Well, I've never really played much online to begin with, but still - wow. The GAF clan is certainly making it a lot more fun. Everyone appears to be in it for fun and having a blast with "friends", so it makes it much more enjoyable. It's also good that as a clan we're actually really good. :)

M3Freak

Banned
kaching said:
I dunno...at the rate I keep getting PMs for people to be added to the NeoGAF clan, it seems like the word is getting out and people who have PS3s are buying it at a steady pace.

Have you had requests from GAF members only or random people playing online as well?

ghostmind

Safe Bet said:

[/random fact]

Considering the amount of gametime it takes to make officer, it says alot about how fun Resistance is to play online.

Perhaps there's hope for new maps/modes dlc in the near future?

Make that 19 officers come this weekend... i'm so very close to Lieutenant...

Big-E

ghostmind said:
Make that 19 officers come this weekend... i'm so very close to Lieutenant...

It feels good once you reach that mark. Because of the stat backlog I was Sergeant Major of the Army for 2 whole weeks before I became an officer.

The Jer

jjasper said:
Yeah I have become pretty interested in the history of the Chimera, like what happened in Russia, origins, what secret operations the US was invovled in, Hale's role, what impact the effects of the battle in London will have on the Chimerian invasion, will the humans
push forward into Europe to clear out the Chimera or stay back defending the reclaimed UK? will atomic bombs be developed and used to take out key towers? Will the US invade Russia and create 2 theathers in the battle?
, who are the actual leaders of the Chimera?
we know the angels control things around the towers but there has to be more heirarchy than that. what the hell are they digging for and why are these towers here? what will the US do with Hale now that he is in government custody? Will they be able to develop a vaccine for the virus?

Resistance 2 is now my most wanted game:lol

well we know from my RFOMPS3.com that
President Grace and the US have already used atomic bombs in Alaska :0
He claimed that they were doing "testing."

What is the hierarchy and what are the requirements for each promotion? I just asked to join the gaf clan so I'll try to work my way up and not dissapoint!

There are 20 ranks. Each rank has 3 pips (for a total of 60 levels). You move up levels by getting XP. You earn XP after every ranked game. Getting placed higher (as a result of the points you scored) than other people in the game yields more XP. You aren't told how much XP you earned after a game but you are told (on you're character/stat sheet) how much XP you need to move up another level (so I suppose you could figure it out). I don't think you can earn negative XP (it would surprise me). So, I don't think you can get demoted (or I would probably know:D ). Which means you don't have to be good to reach a certain rank, you just have to play. Each time you move up a rank you get more cute accessorries to put on you're character. I don't rememeber where I've seen the hierarchy before and I'm a little too lazy to find it right now, but I know its out there....

J-Rzez

Alright... So my training schedule is revamped... I could possibly get into some games here and there now with everyone! yay!

S/N: Johnny_Rzeznik

(don't ask, it's a running joke from Socom2, kept the handle ever since :D )

SleazyC

The Jer said:
I don't rememeber where I've seen the hierarchy before and I'm a little too lazy to find it right now, but I know its out there....

From myresistance.net (thread here)

Level 1: Private
-- US Soldier Body
-- Head 1
-- Head 2
-- Small Helmet
-- American Standard Uniform
-- American Dirty Uniform

Level 4: Private First Class
-- UK Soldier Body
-- British Green Uniform
-- Canteen 2

Level 7: Corporal
-- British Brick Uniform
-- Grenade Pouch
-- Leather Packs

Level 10: Sergeant
-- Pouches
-- Medic Helmet 2
-- Head 3

Level 13: Gunnery Sergeant
-- Beret
-- American Camouflage Uniform

Level 16: Staff Sergeant
-- British Goggles
-- Radio
-- Binoculars

Level 19: 1st Sergeant
-- Commando Body
-- Commando Standard Uniform
-- Head 4

Level 22: Sergeant Major
-- Commando Camouflage Uniform
-- Belt Knife
-- Backpack

Level 25: Command Sergeant Major
-- Chest Pouches
-- Belt Pouches
-- Head 5

Level 28: Sgt. Major of the Army
-- Medic Helmet
-- Bedroll 1
-- Chute Pack

Level 31: Lieutenant
-- Head 6
-- British Desert Uniform
-- VTOL Pilot Skin

Level 34: Captain
-- Bedroll 2
-- Pouches
-- Pouch (Fanny Pack)

Level 37: Major
-- Head 7
-- British Helmet
-- Backpack

Level 40: Lieutenant Colonel
-- Commando Leather Uniform
-- Chest Radio
-- Shirtless Skin

Level 43: Colonel
-- Camouflage Helmet
-- Leather Backpack
-- Back Holster

Level 46: Brigadier General
-- Head 8
-- Canteen 1
-- Radio

Level 49: Major General
-- Winters Skin
-- American Advanced Uniform
-- Hip Bag

Level 52: Lieutenant General
-- Head 9
-- American Helmet
-- Commando Arctic Uniform
-- Canteen

Level 55: General
-- Cartwright Skin
-- Leather Pouch
-- Canteen

Level 58: Supreme Commander
-- British Camouflage Uniform
-- Knife
-- Head 10

Level 60: Supreme Commander [3 PIPS]
-- Nathan Hale Skin
-- Belt Packs
-- Shovel
-- Backpack

f@luS

More than a member.
f@luS said:
Sorry if i missed something but what about the international online play?
Ive us system , us game but living in Eu...now everythings fine but will i ever be able to play with some of my friends there (theyre gonna have PAL system)

? ;)

SleazyC

f@luS said:
Sorry if i missed something but what about the international online play?
Ive us system , us game but living in Eu...now everythings fine but will i ever be able to play with some of my friends there (theyre gonna have PAL system)
I think I recall reading somewhere that Insomniac is putting a lot of time working on this in order to get it out by the March PS3 launch in Europe. I can't remember where I saw it but jstevenson might be able to give us some more information as we get closer to the EU launch.

Aeon712

I'm sure this has already come up in the already 68pages but I just noticed that Hale has a knife on his arm. I wanna earn some stealth kills with it :).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
M3Freak said:
Have you had requests from GAF members only or random people playing online as well?
No random people, but I've gotten quite a few requests from GAF members I've never seen posting or posting very rarely. I know there's also at least a few GAF clan members who have invited some friends to join and I've sent them invites.

Safe Bet

Banned
M3Freak said:
The online multiplayer is more fun than I thought it would be. Well, I've never really played much online to begin with, but still - wow. The GAF clan is certainly making it a lot more fun. Everyone appears to be in it for fun and having a blast with "friends", so it makes it much more enjoyable. It's also good that as a clan we're actually really good. :)
We lost a few last night...

Meltdown was giving us a hard time...

The skill of the player-base is definetly starting to rise.

SleazyC

Safe Bet said:

I was in a kind of a funk yesterday so I know I wasn't helping. Even though we lost a few when we have 10+ people we usually go around steamrolling people. The wedge is too powerful.

I finally started playing Resistance. I only played the first mission, but I had fun with it. Can't wait to play more. This might be the first FPS I finish since Halo.

I'm currently download the patch online right now. I hope to get going online later on.

yeah, i've had the game since launch and i just haven't had time to play it realy. i always try to play on the weekends with gaf, now. makes it a much better experience.

kaching said:
Nice card, very Calvin and Hobbes.

No offense, but I think they were going for a Chuck Jones art style, as an homage to his most famous Christmas-themed work--his classic cartoon version of Dr. Seuss' "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," rather than something from Calvin and Hobbes. It's kinda got 1966 Chuck Jones' style there, albeit with a bit heavier inking.

That's what it looks like to me, anyway.

59wd2.jpg

52me5.jpg

Awesome card, either way.

Kittonwy

Banned
Safe Bet said:

[/random fact]

Considering the amount of gametime it takes to make officer, that says alot about how much fun Resistance is to play online.

Perhaps there's hope for new maps/modes in the near future?

Can you believe it? I'm a Captain!!! ME Kittonwy!!! The decoy. The point of the flying wedge.

Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
M3Freak said:
I get that too. It's annoying because it happens at the worst possible time.

I have to say that I'm not an FPS in general. The last couple of console FPS games I've played and owned were from the Time Splitter series. They were good games, but they have nothing on R:FoM.

I'm a little further in the campaign now (
the level immediately after killing the very first stalker
. The game just keeps getting better and better.

The onliny multiplayer is more fun than I thought it would be. Well, I've never really played much online to begin with, but still - wow. The GAF clan is certainly making it a lot more fun. Everyone appears to be in it for fun and having a blast with "friends", so it makes it much more enjoyable. It's also good that as a clan we're actually really good. :)

I have to say I really appreciate everybody who shows up and you guys are just so easy-going and fun to team up with, even though I'm a n00b at this clan thing and I'm a bad shot. So thanks a bunch.
gladtomeetya.gif

Oh and... NORT TO TEH MAX!!!
Indifferent2.gif

patsu

Safe Bet said:

That's the part that makes me go back.

There are some ridiculously good players in there. I still can't tag well with Bullseye, but I have met guys who can tag me successfully no matter what I do, where I hide. There are some guys who headshot really well too (like within 3-5 Carbine shots).

The only thing I hate is people who quit, especially Meltdown.

SleazyC

Safe Bet said:
..it works well in TDM but fails in Meltdown and Breech games, imo.
It works fantastic in Breech and Meltdown if we have the right amount of people online. I've been in some 3 minute Breech games when we had 18 players online.

Wollan

kaching said:
Nice card, very Calvin and Hobbes.

Totally agree. Makes you wonder. And hey look, I got internet connection. But only in passing (our deal is still on SleazyC, you gather the crew tonight).

Edit: Insomniac, this is me requesting a ton more of these spoofs in the same style regurarly. Bring'em on.

REV 09

bought the game last night, but Best Buy didn't have a 20 gig PS3 so i'm waiting till i find one of those before i can play it. The box is hott :lol

jjasper

REV 09 said:
bought the game last night, but Best Buy didn't have a 20 gig PS3 so i'm waiting till i find one of those before i can play it. The box is hott :lol

If there is a Target around you I would look there, it seems Target has been stocking a larger number of 20gb units than anyone else.

Top Bottom