• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

BuddyC said:
A little OT, but I figured some would get a kick out of the holiday card Insomniac sent out.

insholiday2006.jpg
That is freaking awesome! Those guys up at Insomniac are hilarious.

Kittonwy

Banned
SleazyC said:
It works fantastic in Breech and Meltdown if we have the right amount of people online. I've been in some 3 minute Breech games when we had 18 players online.

Yep, the wedge works extremely well in breach when we have enough people to completely overrun just about any resistance the opposition has, pardon the pun. The manchester level is a bit harder because it's so big and the point of entry is so narrow to the enemy's base, sometimes it's such a damn battle of attrition.
Indifferent2.gif

jjasper

Hey guys I just got a mic last night and I was wondering how does it all work with squads and stuff.

I was playing team deathmatch last night with people that I know had headsets and never heard anything do I need to do something?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
jjasper said:
Hey guys I just got a mic last night and I was wondering how does it all work with squads and stuff.

I was playing team deathmatch last night with people that I know had headsets and never heard anything do I need to do something?

I think L3 is to engage the mic, or do what GAF/smart people do and get everyone on yor team into the same squad so you can chat seamlessly.

SnakeXs

jjasper said:
How do you make/join a squad?

It's a pre set list of 'em. Organize before the match starts, picking a certain one, and then press start during the match and go to the squad option and join that one.

jjasper

SnakeXs said:
It's a pre set list of 'em. Organize before the match starts, picking a certain one, and then press start during the match and go to the squad option and join that one.

oh ok cool thanks.

SnakeXs

No problem, chap.

While I'm here, I just wanna say dying on Superhuman while doing awesome because your controller had a seizure = #&@!($#(.

Kittonwy

Banned
SnakeXs said:
No problem, chap.

While I'm here, I just wanna say dying on Superhuman while doing awesome because your controller had a seizure = #&@!($#(.

How hard is superhuman? I finished hard but I'm kind of scared to try superhuman.
gladtomeetya.gif

SnakeXs

Kittonwy said:
How hard is superhuman? I finished hard but I'm kind of scared to try superhuman.
gladtomeetya.gif

Not too bad, so far. Given, I did just finish Lost Planet on Extreme, which is totally aggrivating in so many ways, so it's been a smooth ride since that.

The difficulty does ramp up later on (I just got to Viper's Nest), so I'm curious to see if it'll have any "I wanna throw a controller" moments. :lol

Steroyd

What is the difference between difficulties is it the usual take more damage give less damage or do they up the Ai and stuff?

Yay I'm a member now. :)

Big-E

Wollan said:
DON't FORGET THE SCHEDULED GAME TONIGHT @ 7PM PST. (5 hours, 45min from now) Details below.

Reposted for great justice.

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)
M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
thundersabre - thundersabre
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
BruceLeeRoy - CFD_BruceLeeRoy
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
Mackaveli - Mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Angelus - PorkChopExpress
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
Ignatz Mouse - IgnatzMouse
XMonkey - snak
bigfatgameguy - gamerecks
drohne - drohne
TheJollyCorner - IrishFigg

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
greatestjediever - greatestjediever
Typhonsentra - Typhonsentra
Big-E - BigE
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
AltogetherAndrews - PoisonMarket
Lancelet Pink - GummadoonKnight
rc213 - rc213
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind
Arde0 - Arde0
djkimothy - djkimothy
Safe_Bet - Safe_Bet
hukasmokincaterpillar - DirtyWater

Matt_C - Matarick
M3freak - m3freak
Gremmie4 - MOLeary
teepo - teepo
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
garrickk - Garrick
jjasper - jjasper
Remy - RemyVJA
I3rand0 - I3rand0
Y2Kevbug11 - Y2Kevbug11

snack - snackcakeofd00m
SnakeXs - SnakeXs
Phoenix Down - Sky2k
aloof - aloof
ijm72 - younghov72
Pristince_Condition - HijoDelLocoRoco
OverHeat - OverHeat
SonyCowboy - scowboy
dark_preacher - dark_preacher
ChanHuk - ChanHuk

LJ11 - LJ11
Red Blaster - Ranger-Albatross
Aeon712 - Aeon712
Captain N - Captain_N
The Jer - TheJer
Christopher - Chris_Russo
Snah - Lemm

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 7pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

This is just a reminder for the game tonight.

Kittonwy

Banned
Steroyd said:
What is the difference between difficulties is it the usual take more damage give less damage or do they up the Ai and stuff?

Yay I'm a member now. :)

There's more damage which basically requires the player to use cover if he wants to stay alive. The enemy placement is much more challenging, not sure about AI being smarter but I finished hard awhile ago and in the last level the elites were trying to keep me pinned down with blue bullseyes while one of them tried to rush my position and flank me from the side.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
djkimothy said:
I will try to be in the game tonight!!!!

Help: How does one use the mic? I can't hear anyone and I can't seem to activate it.

I think it's L3

Besides, I'M DOWNLOADING THE JAPANESE PATCH AT THE ****ING LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djkimothy

Thanks for the replies, I did some more investigating on myresistance.com. Very useful site.

I'll try to be online after the hockey game tonight. Depends if the family needs the TV, doubt it as everyone shuts down at 10 here. :)

djkimothy said:
I will try to be in the game tonight!!!!

Help: How does one use the mic? I can't hear anyone and I can't seem to activate it.

You have to set it up first in system settings.

1) In the XMB, go to "Settings" > "Accessory Settings" > "Audio Device Settings. (For Bluetooth, you must go through the "Register Bluetooth Device" Menu first.)

In the "Audio Device Settings" menu, set both "Input Device" and "Output Device" to your headset, then start speaking into your headset and adjust your "Microphone Level" setting accordingly, using the meter at the top of the screen.

2) Boot up Resistance, Go to "Multiplayer" > "Online Game."

"Accept" then "Continue" on the next two screens, then go to "Options" > Audio Device Settings, just to make sure the settings carried over from the settings you just made in the XMB.

That's it for setup.

When you get in the game:

When you are in a public lobby, you'll need to press down the "L3" to talk.

You can join a squad, either when the game is loading, or after a game is started, and you don't have to hold down the "L3" to talk freely with your own squad. NeoGAF Clan typically talks on X-Ray squad.

LJ11

Just finished the game, and it easily exceeded all of my expectations. Reviewers made it sound like the game was your standard fair fps, but it's much more IMO. I haven't played a console shooter this good since Halo 1. The story is really good, and a second play-through is a must in order to collect more intel/clues about what really went down. Story was really solid and has depth. I can't wait to read some of the spoilers/theories you guys posted earlier in this thread.

Graphically, Resistance does things differently. It doesn't throw out insanely detailed textures, insane normal-maps, and other effects that seem to be the toast of the town. While it uses many of these effects, they are extremely toned down for artistic purposes more than anything. They went with a more green/brown look ala Saving Private Ryan. I actually enjoyed the look of the game. The Geometry is jaw-dropping. Some of the architecture is unreal. Snow covered London is gorgeous. The snow effect is something that needs to be seen, it's amazing. What impressed me the most was the amount of information being processed. Tons of bullets, snow, debris, particle effects galore, NPC's skirmishing with Chimera, all going on without a hint of slowdown. Silky smooth framerate.

I played the game on Hard, and early on found it a bit easy. As the game progresses however, the AI really ramps up. I was down on the AI early on, but after several beat-downs later in the game, I take it all back. While the AI isn't revolutionary, it does a fine job. I just wish the game was that difficult throughout. What can I say, I'm a masochist. I loved the last 3 or so hours. Intense battles, insane boss/enemy fights, and tons of shit to shoot at.

Awesome game IMO, can't wait for a sequel. I'm the biggest pessimist when I hear about new IP's. I had zero expectations for this game, I thought it would be an average game. Far from it. Solid 9 IMO, and their is no 10 in my book unless we're talking about MGS3. :)

I'll probably be on later tonight for some multiplayer goodness.

Edit: Can you use a Black-Ops skin in multiplayer?

djkimothy

Pristine_Condition said:
You have to set it up first in system settings.

1) In the XMB, go to "Settings" > "Accessory Settings" > "Audio Device Settings. (For Bluetooth, you must go through the "Register Bluetooth Device" Menu first.)

In the "Audio Device Settings" menu, set both "Input Device" and "Output Device" to your headset, then start speaking into your headset and adjust your "Microphone Level" setting accordingly, using the meter at the top of the screen.

2) Boot up Resistance, Go to "Multiplayer" > "Online Game."

"Accept" then "Continue" on the next two screens, then go to "Options" > Audio Device Settings, just to make sure the settings carried over from the settings you just made in the XMB.

That's it for setup.

When you get in the game:

When you are in a public lobby, you'll need to press down the "L3" to talk.

You can join a squad, either when the game is loading, or after a game is started, and you don't have to hold down the "L3" to talk freely with your own squad. NeoGAF Clan typically talks on X-Ray squad.

Coolness, I just tried to set up my mic a few minutes ago so lets hope it works okay. I set my mic level to 3, is that too low? Didn't want to be too loud.

Is the password to the room still
believe
?

SleazyC

djkimothy said:
Coolness, I just tried to set up my mic a few minutes ago so lets hope it works okay. I set my mic level to 3, is that too low? Didn't want to be too loud.

Is the password to the room still
believe
?
3 is what I have mine set to but you'll find that it all depends on how loud you speak and how your mic is built as to cut down on interference or amplify your voice. Don't think you can actually have rooms for online play; we usually just start a party up and invite as many people as we can.

The Jer

I've been disconnected three times in the past two days. Has anybody else been having problems with this.... or rather..... has anyone not been having problems with this??

jjasper

The Jer said:
I've been disconnected three times in the past two days. Has anybody else been having problems with this.... or rather..... has anyone not been having problems with this??

I haven't, but I haven't played very much the past few days just a few matches.

JB1981

Are any Gaffers still on? I might hop in on a game. Just got home from work. I'll probably suck, though - i'm pretty wiped.

Big-E

The Jer said:

I just got disconected for my third time tonight. I have never gotten disconected before. JS do you know what could be the possible issue?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Grr, every time I accept the invite, you guys are in a game and it gives me an error! Oh well.

Kittonwy

Banned
Great games guys... who was the one who kept yapping non-stop during the manchester breach game about some guy with his bullseye tagging? No offense but it was driving me insane.
gladtomeetya.gif

Safe Bet

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Great games guys... who was the one who kept yapping non-stop during the manchester breach game? No offense but it was driving me insane.
gladtomeetya.gif
*blush*

My mic wasn't set right...

I talk to myself constantly while playing...

;)

M3Freak

Banned
Awesome gaming tonight, but we got our asses handed to us a few times - competition is improving!

That arc weapon has got to go in Breah - it's way too deadly. We got destroyed that one round by one dude who got a single shot our node and took out 90% of it - even with like 5 of our guys shooting at him!

I won't be on Sunday night. Played my fill for the whole weekend. See you guys on Tuesday.

Oh - I suggest the GAF clan list be updated with everyone's time zone. Us EST guys are getting really hosed with the 7:00 PM PST meet ups.

M3Freak

Banned
Safe Bet said:
*blush*

;)

That was slightly disturbing and funny all at the same time. Though, it was becoming a bit of a downer eventually.

Get some practice playing the campaign and mulitplayer - you'll stop complaining so much! :)

squicken

GGs everyone. I must say the mystical "Wedge" seems to break down when used against the bases on Manchester. One of the Supreme Commander types needs to think up a new stragey :)

edit: beaten

The Jer

Safe Bet said:
*blush*

;)

Now I really with my mic wasn't on the fritz. Listening to someone talk to themselves would have made that much more entertaining. :)

I think my mic was a bit to sensitve during a few games. Sorry if that bothered anyone. I may just get a new mic, so I don't have to mess with this one anymore. It only seems to work half the time anyway.....

squicken

Safe Bet said:
I'll work on keeping it quiet.

;)

It's cool. It's too bad there's no mute button my headset, as I often like to yell at myself when playing online. And it'd be really nice if Sony released a first party wireless headset, with the caveat being it function better than MS's POS wireless headset.

Safe Bet

Banned
LJ11 said:
Good games tonight.

I'm surprised Safe Bet didn't break his TV. :lol
Replacing more than one broken PS2 controller last-gen taught me a valuable lesson...

;)

On-Topic:

I know it sucks to break up into smaller squads but I think that's why we are losing the Breech/Meltdown games we lose.

It seems like we go from not having enough defending to having too many.

Kittonwy

Banned
Safe Bet said:
Replacing more than one broken PS2 controller last-gen taught me a valuable lesson...

;)

On-Topic:

I know it sucks to break up into smaller squads but I think that's why we are losing the Breech/Meltdown games we lose.

It seems like we go from not having enough defending to having too many.

I thought it had more to do with the team doing better on maps that we're more familiar with (aka manchester and somerset), we did pretty well on those but not so well on maps that we might not have completely figured out, that said I might just be speaking for myself, mostly.
Indifferent2.gif

Oh and maybe it had to do with some guy who can kill people with the bullseye with ONE TAG while turning in mid-air!!! :p

Safe Bet

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Oh and maybe it had to do with some guy who can kill people with the bullseye with ONE TAG while turning in mid-air!!! :p
Dude..

That guy was freaking INSANE with those damn Bullseye tags.

:p

M3Freak

Banned
Can we get some time zone listings - pleeeeease? They should be added to the official list of people who have added their names here. I'd like to see where most people are.

I suggest we use the time that is the most convenient for everyone, or even possibly have different meet up times so that everyone can be accomodated.

Oh: I'm EST.

djkimothy

GG games last night guys.

I'm EST, which is why a 10 PM start time for me is limiting...

I look forward to our next meeting. I'll be off and on throughout the day today practicing. I'll try to make it for tonight.

It was impressive to see the wedge in action.

M3Freak

Banned
I can't remember if Wollan said he'd be able to post this for today. I've done it anyway.

Note: I added a new column: Time Zone. I've edited the tags for those that have already stated what their time zone is.

Wollan said:
DON't FORGET THE SCHEDULED GAME TONIGHT @ 7PM PST. (9 hours, 45min from now) Details below.

Reposted for great justice.

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)
M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
thundersabre - thundersabre
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
BruceLeeRoy - CFD_BruceLeeRoy
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
Mackaveli - Mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson
Angelus - PorkChopExpress
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
Ignatz Mouse - IgnatzMouse
XMonkey - snak
bigfatgameguy - gamerecks
drohne - drohne
TheJollyCorner - IrishFigg

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65 - PST
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
greatestjediever - greatestjediever
Typhonsentra - Typhonsentra
Big-E - BigE - PST
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
AltogetherAndrews - PoisonMarket
Lancelet Pink - GummadoonKnight
rc213 - rc213 - PST
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind - MST
Arde0 - Arde0
djkimothy - djkimothy
Safe_Bet - Safe_Bet - CST
hukasmokincaterpillar - DirtyWater

Matt_C - Matarick
M3freak - m3freak - EST
Gremmie4 - MOLeary
teepo - teepo
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
garrickk - Garrick
jjasper - jjasper - CST
Remy - RemyVJA
I3rand0 - I3rand0
Y2Kevbug11 - Y2Kevbug11

snack - snackcakeofd00m
SnakeXs - SnakeXs
Phoenix Down - Sky2k
aloof - aloof
ijm72 - younghov72
Pristine_Condition - HijoDelLocoRoco - CST
OverHeat - OverHeat
SonyCowboy - scowboy
dark_preacher - dark_preacher
ChanHuk - ChanHuk

LJ11 - LJ11 - EST
Red Blaster - Ranger-Albatross
Aeon712 - Aeon712 - EST
Captain N - Captain_N
The Jer - TheJer - MST
Christopher - Chris_Russo
Snah - Lemm

squicken - squick3n - CST
DenogginizerOS - Denogginizer - EST
chespace - chespace

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 7pm PST

Saturdays 7pm PST

Sundays 7pm PST

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

Top Bottom