• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
watch the second video, i definately hear the guy walking. its mostly drowned out in the beginning cause of the shooting. in the 3rd video you can hear him walking over the metal balcony at the very beginning.

Pimpwerx

Wollan said:
PS! JStevenson, you need to shower us with some HD multiplayer videos. Get the blood pumping. ;)
I gotta back you up on this.

JStevenson: Do you guys have any sway with the suits as far as when/how media will be released? Seeing as this title is complete, is there a specific reason we don't get a barrage of 720p videos of this game? With the next-gen, low-resolution videos just aren't cutting it anymore. I know PD has HD videos of GT:HD on their site, so I was just hoping the rest of SCEWWS was gonna get with the program, with launch right around the corner. PEACE.

Mmmkay

Doom_Bringer said:
yea i meant footstep sounds. I don't hear anything in the IGN vids. Could be a critical flaw
I heard them in the IGN footage, your ears could be a critical flaw.

Safe Bet

Banned
Wollan said:
Just watched the first video at the page. The player makes it seem as if it is difficult to fight those few enemies. Seems like a player that lets go of the stick for each time he aims in one direction.
I remember teaching my buddy how to use dual-analog....

I don't know how many times I had to say to him, "Don't take your thumbs off the ****ing sticks!"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
In the first few moments of the first new vid IGN posted, there's a gif worthy Chimera death - the first chimera the player kills in that vid, drops to its knees, slumps to its side and knocks into a wall, arms dangling.

So now that the major gaming sites have their own systems, are we going to see more of the MP, or is that service not up and running yet? It just seems odd that we've seen so little of multiplayer, seeing as how the game is pretty much right around the corner.

Tieno

Doom_Bringer said:
I watched the IGN vids without sound :p
17032.jpg

sif

kaching said:
In the first few moments of the first new vid IGN posted, there's a gif worthy Chimera death - the first chimera the player kills in that vid, drops to its knees, slumps to its side and knocks into a wall, arms dangling.

Yeah I saw someone playing the game today (at the Best of Stuff / What HiFi event) get killed, fall onto a bannister, Hale slides down it on his front and then proceeds to fall head-first into a heap at the bottom of the stairs. Unfortunately I have no camera and my phone is QCIF 15FPS or 3.2mpx max so sorry no shots.

Anyhoo my hype level for this game has gone throught the roof after having actually played the game. I normally don't like (esp. console) shooters (COD2 PC was the last one I really enjoyed and that was a year ago) so I am doubly impressed with my feelings about the game. Played the first bit of the level Nottingham (as well Motorstorm :D and Lair, which I would rather not talk about :lol). The weapons are omfg amazing, controls are tight, pacing is good, cover (some is destructable and the Auger deals with that which is not:D ) is important, locked framerate, did I mention the weapons? I really did not miss rumble: the recoil from the weapons, especially the shotgun, was powerful and the sounds were brilliant, real bite behind them.

Sixaxis was pretty improved as well compared to DS2, infinately better material, now has texture instead of just being shiny slippery plastic like the black DS2's. Triggers work well although L4 and R4 (clicking the triggers at the end of their travel) was a little weird... solid on one 6XS and almost impossible to find on another, hopefully just a proto problem. Sticks are longer and more finely controllable ie not like the DS2 where the first 0.5 cm of movement has no effect almost. I like the less springy nature of the 6XS sticks compared to DS2, much less resistance (lol) to the motion of the sticks, allowing finer control. They are not quite 360 sticks, maybe 90% of the way there, but at least they are the right way round:) .

The only problem now is, how do I get a PS3 withough having to wait till the Euro launch, because it is going to be hell waiting and hearing impressions.

In summary:

6XS....... I likes!!
Resistance........ I want make romance explosion on the Playstation when I play this one
Motorstorm.......is Nice!!
Lair......is worse than sexy time with my mother-in-law

AltogetherAndrews said:
This clown act is getting real ****ing old, DB.

What clown act man? I said the game looks awesome! The second bus station assault movie was pretty awesome as was the tank one.

I can't wait to buy this game next year.

REV 09

yeah, basically what was posted the other day, only compiled together in 720p. Half of the footage is showing off the tank again.

Wollan

News has just stopped rolling in lately. While there is a certain responsibility on the various websites to deliver, Insomniac/Sony should push the media outlets a bit harder. Less than two weeks now.

Wollan said:
News has just stopped rolling in lately. While there is a certain responsibility on the various websites to deliver, Insomniac/Sony should push the media outlets a bit harder. Less than two weeks now.

I can understand if media from SP is kept under wraps, but for ****'s sake, show some multiplayer.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:

They need a damn media blowout.

i reqlly think sony knows they've sold all their launch consoles already and they won't go ad crazy until more of the people seeing the ads can get one. If they are planning to get a few more shipments in before x-mas you will see the advertising to resistence go up alot just AFTER launch.

GeoramA

Eurogamer said:
It seems odd that it's taken this long for somebody in the first-person shooter genre to inject a little imagination into the weapons that actually do the first-person shooting, but it's not very surprising to see Insomniac doing it..
Amen! Very nice read btw.

BuddyC

Alkaliine said:
Perfect Dark on the N64 had some crazy weapons - hell, the Laptop Gun is the best thing ever invented.

I'm not sure what that reviewer is on about.
Your example of creative weaponry involves a title that's almost two generations old. Are you intentionally going out of your way to prove Eurogamer's point about recent first-person shooters lacking creative weapons?

BuddyC said:
Your example of creative weaponry involves a title that's almost two generations old? Are you trying to go out of your way to prove Eurogamer's point?

No, it just seems like the writer is suggesting that Resistance is the only game to feature really creative weapons, which isn't true.

Striek

Tsk tsk, 'enlivens the genre' Eurogamer? How can that be? Its just a 100% generic FPS. I read it on messageboards.

I'm going to have to achieve a hard balance between satiating curiosity and keeping surprises in the long wait to PS3s PAL launch :(

Alkaliine said:
No, it just seems like the writer is suggesting that Resistance is the only game to feature really creative weapons, which isn't true.

Well its still different with Resistance since it isn't just a few guns. They're trying to do it with basically every gun, including something like a rocket launcher.

antiloop

Wollan said:
The top video at http://www.threespeech.com/ has a Resistance cutscene partly showing a bit in. And men acting as monkeys. Team killing monkeys. Not to mention a sexy woman.

wtf? :)

Looking good though. (the girl and the game)

This game has 7.1 sound right? I really like how the guns looks and sounds.

Maybe I need to pick up a new surround set together with the PS3..

Yoboman

That's great, Luke really seemed to love Gears aswell. Maybe Resistance will be better than I'm thinking

lol he must've been pulling our legs, no way can Resistance be as great as Gears appears to be

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
kaching said:
Sounds like they might have dialed back their plans to use motion controls a bit. Doesn't sound like they implemented it for rifle butting, for example. Use it to shake off enemies but it sounds like the only other use may be in multiplayer.
well it was a demo, so it could still be in the final game.

GeoramA said:
Amen! Very nice read btw.

And that is why some of us have been excited about this game since first hearing about it, and that is why it's been so damned difficult to explain the appeal of the game to people unfamiliar with Insomniac games. After playing FPS after FPS that featured the standard, often conservative weapons set with minor variations to the basic themes, hearing that Insomniac was getting involved in the genre made me almost giddy with anticipation.

Kangu

Banned
Eurogamer said:
It's worth pointing out at this stage that throughout the game the AI of your enemies is a sort of "basic plus". It's not exactly Halo, but it poses a challenge.

AI did always seem kind of basic.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Already got reviewed in OPM. 9/10. Maybe other sites are waiting to receive their final retail PS3?

Top Bottom