• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

The Jer

Pristine_Condition said:
I was reading that you can set a priority list of sorts for weapon switches. How exactly does one go about setting that up?

I had to do it in game. If you hold R2, you can then select a weapon. Press X on the selected weapon and it will turn blue. Move the cursor to the desired location and press X again. The selected weapon will switch locations with the weapon in the selected slot.

It's a bit annoying to do, since it has to be done in game, but I just started an offline multiplayer by myself. and did it there (making sure to quite out so it saved).

Another note: you have to have the weapon in you're inventory to select it, so walk around and pick up all the weapons.

This puts a priority on weapons, if you have the game set to switch to a better weapon (its numbered on the weapon select (hold R2), starting up top and moving clockwise). It also makes it easier to tap R2 to switch between weapons (I don't want to get in a situation where I'm stuck with this weapon, so I'll put the carbine after it, so I can tap R2 and switch out quickly).

One last thing. This can also be done in SP. But, the SP and MP lists are kept seperate.

Hope this helps anyone who hadn't noticed this.:)

EDIT: beaten. :)

Remy

gluv65 said:
Lets define some positions/roles in the clan. Like a Primary and Alternate posistion.

In Breach, my primary position will be Defender and secondary assault ect... it will make for a more cohesive attack, what do ya think?

I think part of the problem with trying to do strategy - and part of the great joy of Resistance - is that each map plays differently.

Take Manchester. For Breach games, we tend to have our shit together - we split most of the team south (two nodes then into the base), a handful of the team north (three nodes then into the base), and a few hanging back. This has been decimating the other team on most every Breach game I've played lately. Manwedge indeed.

But take the circular one (Grimsby?). Because the nodes sort of form a plus, and because the base is easily defended, every time we rush we get beaten back and then we have maybe 1 or 2 nodes. We spend a ton of time trying to hold Papa when the nodes to the north and south are equally important if not more so given the Arc Charger and the like.

We also need to be willing to split the clan up into separate squads - nothing worse than being on the rushing team and spawning back with the defenders.

I'd like to propose the following squads for Breach:

X-Ray: Direct Attack (main rush)
Yankee: Secondary Attack (the north route I mentioned on Manchester, outside nodes, etc)
Zulu: Defense

Team DM should still favor X-Ray; I think we can get by on Meltdown with one squad because there's so much coordination that has to go on about where to attack and where to defend. For Breach, don't forget that L3 still works to talk to all of the team.

Of course, these are just suggestions and welcome other ideas.

(Oh, and I always go for Secondary Attack.)

Remy said:
I think part of the problem with trying to do strategy - and part of the great joy of Resistance - is that each map plays differently.

Take Manchester. For Breach games, we tend to have our shit together - we split most of the team south (two nodes then into the base), a handful of the team north (three nodes then into the base), and a few hanging back. This has been decimating the other team on most every Breach game I've played lately. Manwedge indeed.

But take the circular one (Grimsby?). Because the nodes sort of form a plus, and because the base is easily defended, every time we rush we get beaten back and then we have maybe 1 or 2 nodes. We spend a ton of time trying to hold Papa when the nodes to the north and south are equally important if not more so given the Arc Charger and the like.

We also need to be willing to split the clan up into separate squads - nothing worse than being on the rushing team and spawning back with the defenders.

Yankee: Secondary Attack (the north route I mentioned on Manchester, outside nodes, etc)

Team DM should still favor X-Ray; I think we can get by on Meltdown with one squad because there's so much coordination that has to go on about where to attack and where to defend. For Breach, don't forget that L3 still works to talk to all of the team.

Of course, these are just suggestions and welcome other ideas.

(Oh, and I always go for Secondary Attack.)

That all sounds good. A lot of the time though, people don't want to hang back because they want all those points that come from destroying the base. But yeah, big problem is people being in the wrong squads. Attacking through seperate routes is probably the best way for breach.

Remy said:

Awesome suggestions, Remy. I'd like to see if the group would be interested in doing this.

It makes sense to me too, since you can easily see how many players are doing what task by just looking at the number next to the squad.

It really seems like a good strategy for Nottingham Breach, where you really need to have those nodes directly outside your base and the one right next to the enemy base taken simultaneously, while still keeping some heat on the enemy at their base.

akachan ningen said:
That all sounds good. A lot of the time though, people don't want to hang back because they want all those points that come from destroying the base. But yeah, big problem is people being in the wrong squads. Attacking through seperate routes is probably the best way for breach.

Some players like defense, akachan ningen.

Also, to address your concern, a player could be free to switch squads whenever the need arises, like when we have captured all nodes and just have to crack the base, you don't need a bunch of guys in your defense squad. When that happens, someone in the attack teams could hit L3 to talk to the whole team, and call for the defenders to gather weapons and come to the attack.

It is especially important to stress the L3 function for talking to the whole team also in case the defense is getting overwhelmed they can call for attackers to respawn at the base.

Nice ideas.

Captain N

so you mean to tell me if I'm trying to get my chat going in a game and no one can hear me..the best thing would be to leave the room and come back?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
belvedere and rage1973:

I tried sending you both clan invites but one of you is already in a clan and one of you hasn't logged onto RFOM online lobby yet. Can't send you invites until those are sorted out.

Kittonwy

Banned
Captain N said:
so you mean to tell me if I'm trying to get my chat going in a game and no one can hear me..the best thing would be to leave the room and come back?

Just unplug your headset and replug it if it's USB.

belvedere

Junior Butler
kaching said:
belvedere and rage1973:

I tried sending you both clan invites but one of you is already in a clan and one of you hasn't logged onto RFOM online lobby yet. Can't send you invites until those are sorted out.

The countdown for a match was starting when I got the invite.

I've accepted.

Thanks

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sorry guys my ****ing dad just HAS TO ****ING WATCH the Rumor Has It Blu-ray movie.

A gift and a curse. It's good that the PS3 has a HD movie player, but it's bad when it's the only one in the house and your dad just HAS TO WATCH a movie on it.

:mad:

KTallguy

Banned
Damn Comcast, I fricking d/c in my FIRST Gaf game :( :(

SO ANGRY.

But thanks for inviting, I'm still there so if there's any space, hit me up :)

jjasper

Good games tonight guys, my internet was messing up all night for some reason so I kept getting knocked off.

Can't wait for God of War Triology 12 disk special edition this fall.

Wow I played like crap, I was like a bullet magnet tonight. Then my BT mic dropped out after a couple games, grr. Still had fun though, that 2 minute Breach run was awesome. :D GGs guys.

Yo JS, got a little suggestion for the next patch if you wouldn't mind passing it along. When you bring up the map as a Human your player icon is the same color as the clan/party you're in, so it can get pretty difficult to make out where you are at times. A color change would help a lot.

The Jer

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
When you bring up the map as a Human your player icon is the same color as the clan/party you're in, so it can get pretty difficult to make out where you are at times. A color change would help a lot.

I was noticing the same thing tonight; "All right, which one of these yellow dots is actually a yellow arrow."

Those games were a blast.

Wow I played like crap, I was like a bullet magnet tonight. Then my BT mic dropped out after a couple games, grr. Still had fun though, that 2 minute Breach run was awesome. :D GGs guys.

Yo JS, got a little suggestion for the next patch if you wouldn't mind passing it along. When you bring up the map as a Human your player icon is the same color as the clan/party you're in, so it can get pretty difficult to make out where you are at times. A color change would help a lot.

Your icon is a little yellow arrow, so it's different from everyone else.

To everyone, Just a friendly reminder. If you're defending in a Breach map, don't join squad X-ray. There's nothing worse for an attacker than spawning all the way back in the base. And you should join a squad even if you don't have a mic. :)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

I'll note it. I'll also mention the lack of indicator of who is talking on the Party screen.

No promises, but I'll pass it along :).

JS

jjasper

jstevenson said:

You know you already preordered it.

Anyway I personally don't have any problem knowing who I am on the map. I do think it would add some balance if the Chimera got to start with a hedgehog as someone mentioned tonight though.

And show me the screen shots!

Edit: JS I was wondering do you guys happening to have an estimate as to how many users have logged on and played?

Kittonwy

Banned
Great game guys, the last breach game was very well executed.
gladtomeetya.gif

lunlunqq

jstevenson said:
I'll note it. I'll also mention the lack of indicator of who is talking on the Party screen.

No promises, but I'll pass it along :).

JS

GG guys who played tonight.

JS, could you add something to indicate who's already in your party on the buddy/clan list? now it's pretty troublesome to find out whos been left out when we have a large party.

Agent X

Yeah, we had some good games tonight.

I like lunlunqq's suggestion above. I'd also add to that a suggestion to have a small icon identifying a party organizer/leader from your buddy list.

Big-E

Damn looks like I missed a good night. $2 CDN for a pint of Molson Canadian is too good to pass up. I love university prices.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
akachan ningen said:
jstevenson: Whatever happened to all that footage that was shot during that tournament that was held an Insomniac? Did they use it on any website?

To be honest - I'm not sure. It was more of an SCEA sponsored thing. Guess I'll ask tomorrow!

Kittonwy

Banned
Big-E said:
Damn looks like I missed a good night. $2 CDN for a pint of Molson Canadian is too good to pass up. I love university prices.

QFMFT, I don't blame ya, although you did miss a good night.
Indifferent2.gif

Remy

Sorry I missed you guys last night - coworkers were demanding I jump in their Gears game, and man...playing Gears now makes me really just want to play Resistance. :)

lunlunqq said:
JS, could you add something to indicate who's already in your party on the buddy/clan list? now it's pretty troublesome to find out whos been left out when we have a large party.

I get around this by quick tapping X on everyone and seeing whether it says "Add to Party" or "Remove from Party", but yeah, this would be useful.

Also useful would be to give everyone on your buddy list/clan list an icon if they're already in a party. When we overflow past 20, it'd be useful to see who's not in the party already; and when I'm playing with co-workers, it'd be useful to show that I'm already in a party so the GAF party doesn't have to wait up for me to respond that I'm busy.

Or maybe, instead of an icon, change "In Lobby" to "In Party" as appropriate.

tanod

when is my burrito
jjasper said:
Can't wait for God of War Triology 12 disk special edition this fall.

Totally gonna happen. Comes on 5 UMDs, a Blu-Ray, 3 CDs, and 3 heart-shaped HD-DVDs. CONFIRMED.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have just become a proud Resistance owner!

Well actually, I feel ashamed to say, but I had Resistance for two days now and didn't even put a disc into PS3. Spent two afternoons just tinkering with everything the system has, downloading and testing demos and trailers, BD playback etc.

Now it's time for Resistance and some actual games :lol

I followed this thread a bit, but it's way too long now to read everything. Any tips for how I should play Single player campaign to avoid frustration. Just so that it's clear, I'm not that good in FPS games (Halo on normal difficulty was at few times during a game frustratingly difficult for me!)

Does anyone remember the post that described the remapped controls to make the game use the R2 trigger for primary weapon shooting? I don't like that primary and secondary weapons are not assigned to R2 and R1, and that post described setup that I think I would like better than this default.

tanod

when is my burrito
Had a good time last night guys.

Although, I've never spent this much time on a game online before and I almost feel guilty neglecting the single player campaign. :/ I'm on my second playthrough though and this game is just pure awesome (online and off.) Trying to find all the intelligence and skill points. Good stuff. After playing online so much, it was jarring to go back to the SP game and have to put so many more bullets into the NPCs for them to go down than a MP match.

I can pinpoint the first moment I started loving the hell out of this game. I was playing the SP game and was on the conversion center/Grimsby level and I started seeing how I could use the Bullseye tags. Had the biggest shit eating grin you ever saw. I have to say that nailing a tag on somebody (in MP especially) is probably the most satisfying gameplay mechanic in any shooter I've played.

For me, one thing I noticed too is that I seem to be getting better with bullseye tagging in MP. It's probably my favorite weapon. But they're all good for their own reasons, except the dragon and the arc charger which I can't figure out how to use well.

KUDOS to Insomniac!!! Can't wait for Ratchet PS3, btw. :)

EDIT: JS, When is Resistance 2 coming? Is it even being worked on?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I give jstevenson 1 week to produce those R&C PS3 screenshots he was teasing about last night or I ban him from the clan :p

belvedere said:
The countdown for a match was starting when I got the invite.

I've accepted.

Thanks
I don't know what clan invite you might have accepted, but it doesn't seem to be the invite for the NeoGAF clan - I don't see you added to our roster.

jjasper

Marconelly said:
Does anyone remember the post that described the remapped controls to make the game use the R2 trigger for primary weapon shooting? I don't like that primary and secondary weapons are not assigned to R2 and R1, and that post described setup that I think I would like better than this default.

Iam not exactly sure when it was, but if I was you I would just go into the options and work with them some you and set any button to anything so if you just tinker you will find something that fits you.

kaching said:
I give jstevenson 1 week to produce those R&C PS3 screenshots he was teasing about last night or I ban him from the clan :p

I agree, all in favor say "Aye"

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
BuddyC said:
Think you guys will be on tonight? Finally got a free night for Resistance-y goodness.
I'll try to get on tonight.

Oh an +1 for whoever said last night that the chimera should have a hedgehog grenade at spawn like humans have a frag grenade. Good Idea there.

tanod

when is my burrito
Bad_Boy said:
Oh an +1 for whoever said last night that the chimera should have a hedgehog grenade at spawn like humans have a frag grenade. Good Idea there.

Agreed!

An additional request, nerf or get rid of the arc charger on meltdown and breach.

Kittonwy

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
I'll try to get on tonight.

That would tip the scale considerably in the chimera's favor though, unless humans spawn with air fuel.
Indifferent2.gif

SleazyC

BuddyC said:
Think you guys will be on tonight? Finally got a free night for Resistance-y goodness.
I'll probably be on if I'm not passed out. Got my last (and very late) midterm tonight and then I can pass out (or play Resistance).

Top Bottom