• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

theBishop

Banned
Kittonwy said:
That would tip the scale considerably in the chimera's favor though, unless humans spawn with air fuel.
Indifferent2.gif

I think frags and Hedgehogs should do more damage. And Frags need more splash damage.

The Air Fuel is brutal, but since it takes practically 5 seconds to deploy, its not general purpose enough to be standard-issue.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
jjasper said:
Iam not exactly sure when it was, but if I was you I would just go into the options and work with them some you and set any button to anything so if you just tinker you will find something that fits you.
Found it!

JB1981 said:
I totally changed the default controls.

I have triangle for gun select
square for reload
circle for nade throws
R1 for primary fire
R2 for secondary fire
L1 for crouch/sprint
X for jump
L2 for melee
L3 for voice chat

I think I like that, except I will invert L1 with L2 and R1 with R2.

JB1981

tanod said:
Agreed!

An additional request, nerf or get rid of the arc charger on meltdown and breach.

in maps like nottingham i don't think there's any need. it's almost impossible to get into a well-defended base with that weapon. i just throw up an auger shield and take out the reactor from afar. it takes longer but it works.

The Jer

Kittonwy said:
That would tip the scale considerably in the chimera's favor though, unless humans spawn with air fuel.
Indifferent2.gif

I agree. The chimera have rage mode, which makes their attacks more damaging and allows them to shoot accurately while in a sprint. This allows them to kill pretty fast. I think this gives them a bit of an advantage as they tend to come out on top in what would normally be an equally matched firefight. Giving them a hedgehog would be too much.

It would be interesting to see the ratio of chimeran victories to human victories (overall and for different game types).

theBishop

Banned
The Jer said:
I agree. The chimera have rage mode, which makes their attacks more damaging and allows them to shoot accurately while in a sprint. This allows them to kill pretty fast. I think this gives them a bit of an advantage as they tend to come out on top in what would normally be an equally matched firefight. Giving them a hedgehog would be too much.

It would be interesting to see the ratio of chimeran victories to human victories (overall and for different game types).

Oddly enough, i was doing consistently better in team deathmatch last night when i was a human.

While Chimera has a lot of perks, i often lose the "shoot-first" advantage because i'm trying to get a tag, or i don't have a grenade, or i'm worried about Rage draining my health.

I think the races are pretty cleverly balanced.

jjasper

theBishop said:
Oddly enough, i was doing consistently better in team deathmatch last night when i was a human.

While Chimera has a lot of perks, i often lose the "shoot-first" advantage because i'm trying to get a tag, or i don't have a grenade, or i'm worried about Rage draining my health.

Oh top of that Chimera have a disadvantage in breach and Meltdown because of rage mode where sprinting to the stations is necessary

tanod

when is my burrito
Kittonwy said:
That would tip the scale considerably in the chimera's favor though

I don't think so. What weapon does a chimera spawn with that can kill multiple people? I s'pose a bullseye trap would work but you have to set that up. Not exactly an effective "wedge killer" like a frag IMO.

For the grenades, I think either the frag shouldn't blow up instantly when it's next to someone or the hedgehog should go off quicker. Consistency would be better.
Thoughts?

Kittonwy

Banned
theBishop said:

Sometimes I ended up killing the other guy with my tag because I just kept tagging him and wasn't sure if the tag hit.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
The Jer said:
I was noticing the same thing tonight; "All right, which one of these yellow dots is actually a yellow arrow."

That drives me nuts. I end up staring at the map for too long because I can't pick out the stupid arrow. Usually someone from the opposing teams shows up in the meantime and I get my ass handed to me.

The Jer

theBishop said:

If I'm in the middle of a firefight, I rarely worry about rage overheat draining my health. It only takes half health and I figure the opponents bullets would do more damage. I turn it off when there is a "calm" and I can duck into cover and regain health, but never while I'm shooting someone or getting shot at. It really is a distraction to try and watch the rage overheat meter during an intense firefight. I tend to be much more aggressive as chimera and rush the opponent more than as a human (plus I suck at tagging people:) ).

i also keep rage on and take the damage if I'm trying to go from one end of the map to the other as fast as possible. I turn it off when I get close to the location, so I regain the health then.

Kittonwy

Banned
jjasper said:
Oh top of that Chimera have a disadvantage in breach and Meltdown because of rage mode where sprinting to the stations is necessary

I think nowadays I just put up with the half damage and keep the rage mode on because of the speed and offense/defense advantage. You can still aim while running as a chimera though, unlike human. Although I like human because of the frag.

The Jer

Kittonwy said:
Sometimes I ended up killing the other guy with my tag because I just kept tagging him and wasn't sure if the tag hit.
Indifferent2.gif

:lol :lol

You don't have to rub it in; I just want to get one tag.:)

M3Freak

Banned
jjasper said:

I noticed that if you jump while running in rage mode, you can move even faster. Or maybe I was dreaming. Anyway, it seemed faster.

The Jer

M3Freak said:
I noticed that if you jump while running in rage mode, you can move even faster. Or maybe I was dreaming. Anyway, it seemed faster.

I'm curious to see if that actually works..... Let's race!!:D

jjasper

Kittonwy said:
Indifferent2.gif

I just use the red light to see if I tag someone. And tagging is great with people that don't know how to shake off a tag.

SleazyC

I just started using the tag extensively as before I would normally just go for a headshot with the bullseye. Half the time I got tagged I was able to kill the person who had tagged me so I just shrugged it off most of the time. I then started tagging in a Meltdown game from long range and since then I usually have 60/40 split shoot/tag decision.

I also agree that the downside of rage mode is negligble in the middle of a fire fight. Rage mode gives you the mobility to move around and fire during a fight that humans don't have. Doesn't help that the bullseye does more damage at close range and rage mode can really let you close that gap on your enemy.

SleazyC said:
I just started using the tag extensively as before I would normally just go for a headshot with the bullseye. Half the time I got tagged I was able to kill the person who had tagged me so I just shrugged it off most of the time. I then started tagging in a Meltdown game from long range and since then I usually have 60/40 split shoot/tag decision.

I also agree that the downside of rage mode is negligble in the middle of a fire fight. Rage mode gives you the mobility to move around and fire during a fight that humans don't have. Doesn't help that the bullseye does more damage at close range and rage mode can really let you close that gap on your enemy.

Me too. Last night was kind of a breakthough night for me in using the tag. I really made an effort to try to use it last night, after a buch of practice in single-player. What was especially cool about it was, of the times I did use it effectively, about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, I got Headshot Kills out of the deal too. Neat.

After last night's results, I now actually prefer the Bullseye to the Carbine, unless I have a grenade in the pump.

I think it also helped that I turned down my sensitivity from 9 to 7 last night. I had it up to 9 because I was getting shot from behind a lot earlier on, but now that doesn't happen as much. Going down to 7 has helped my aim a lot.

I'll have to try what you guys are talking about with Rage Mode. I think I'm being too conservative and watching my overheats too much. I notice I get killed a lot while cooling down from overheat. Maybe I should just go for it more.

Playing with some of the really good players we have in the Clan and against good competition has really made me want to continue to improve my play. I still have a long way to go though...

A few questions to the better players (well that means just about everybody when it come to me!):

What do you guys think of Aim Assist?

Do you turn it on or off?

Does Aim Assist help the effective use of certain weapons and hurt others?

SleazyC

Pristine_Condition said:
After last night's results, I now actually prefer the Bullseye to the Carbine, unless I have a grenade in the pump.
When I first started playing I also preferred the Carbine to the Bullseye but after some time I really started to favor the Bullseye because it suits my type of play. I really don't like to sit around and let an enemy come to me and instead prefer to rush them. The Bullseye' punch up close really fits my style of play. The Carbine is still a great gun to use at long range but since I like to rush so much it really is hard to get a kill off when running and spraying unless you get a headshot off.

I'll have to try what you guys are talking about with Rage Mode. I think I'm being too conservative and watching my overheats too much. I notice I get killed a lot while cooling down from overheat. Maybe I should just go for it more.
It really depends on your play style. Like I stated above, for rushing rage mode is great since not only can I see through walls but I get the speed advantage and can still aim.

A few questions to the better players (well that means just about everybody when it come to me!):

What do you guys think of Aim Assist?

Do you turn it on or off?

Does Aim Assist help the effective use of certain weapons and hurt others?
Not sure I consider myself one of the better players in the clan but I certainly do try and I find aim assist once again fits into my style of play. I move around a lot when I am shooting at someone so it really helps me stay locked on. I am sure that without aim assist on though you can probably aim a bit more precisely as far as pulling head shots off (as I find aim assist locks you onto the middle of an enemy player) but it probably would either take someone very skilled or a lot of practice to get good at this.

I guess it all boils down to your play styles as I've repeated a couple times already in my post :D

Whatever you feel comfortable with just go for it and you will get better over time. Even if you aren't killing 20 people, scoring 100 points or killing a reactor all by yourself I find playing with the clan really lets me relax and play loose as I have some reliable teammates and don't have to watch my own back.

Aeon712

Bad_Boy said:
I'll try to get on tonight.

Oh an +1 for whoever said last night that the chimera should have a hedgehog grenade at spawn like humans have a frag grenade. Good Idea there.

YaY that was me, do I win a cookie? And I think I can play tonight since my Playstation rep wants to get some games in tonight since tonight is his clan's meetup.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BuddyC said:
I'm hopping on, in case anyone's looking to get a party together. I even dug out the old headset.

You don't call, you don't write, and then you finally get on on a night when I'm busy tonight having dinner with a friend.

*Shakes head*

Aeon712

I'm getting on now that I'm done watching the DOA movie. Was good in a I thought it would completely suck kind of way:lol.

BuddyC

jstevenson said:
You don't call, you don't write, and then you finally get on on a night when I'm busy tonight having dinner with a friend.

*Shakes head*
It's looking like I'll be hopping on a lot more often, if it's any consolation. Really though, you guys need to hurry up and blow out Ratchet so I can have an excuse to visit again :p

Had some very good times with the NeoGAF crew tonight. I was surprised to see so many people get on, I think we ended up having a party of nine before I left, with a few outstanding invitations. Nice that there's a strong sense of community, even on a regular old Wednesday night!

I should be able to get back into Resistance next week. New apartment, new TV and best of all, a separate room for the kid... meaning I don't have to stick to whispering into the mic.

Kittonwy

Banned
BuddyC said:
It's looking like I'll be hopping on a lot more often, if it's any consolation. Really though, you guys need to hurry up and blow out Ratchet so I can have an excuse to visit again :p

Had some very good times with the NeoGAF crew tonight. I was surprised to see so many people get on, I think we ended up having a party of nine before I left, with a few outstanding invitations. Nice that there's a strong sense of community, even on a regular old Wednesday night!

You didn't wait for me to show?*cries*
Indifferent2.gif

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I didnt play with the mic tonight because again I forgot to charge it, and when I do try it out, the battery cuts out on me during the game. :/

Next time I'll have it fully charged. I hope. But even without the mic, I still get that feeling of community with squads and stuff. Maybe I should get a backup USB headset.

Anyways I got a couple movies(blu-ray) from netflix today I want to watch, so I'm done for the night. Lemme know when you guys play again (thats not on our regular schedule :p)

Aeon712 said:
YaY that was me, do I win a cookie? And I think I can play tonight since my Playstation rep wants to get some games in tonight since tonight is his clan's meetup.
You get two cookies. :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bad_Boy said:
lol I dunno what was up with that, I ended up on the other team. Still had fun shooting a few of you guys. :lol

LOL. We were all like, "WTF" and then you killed us.

Ready for the snow?

DenogginizerOS

BuddyC said:

Yup. I am MEGA impressed with Resistance. Good games tonight. We should do this more often. And if anyone needs a recommendation on a Bluetooth mic, the Plantronics Explorer 320 is working well for me and it is $23.99 at newegg.com.

DenogginizerOS

Bad_Boy said:
:lol

Definately ready. The last snow was weak (melted in like 12 hours), I have a feeling this one will be pretty weak too. :(

I don't know. THey seem pretty confident about this one. Heh. I hope it snows like hell. I want to play more Resistance. ;)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DenogginizerOS said:
I don't know. THey seem pretty confident about this one. Heh. I hope it snows like hell. I want to play more Resistance. ;)
Yeah same here man. What are they calling for, 1-3 inches?

SleazyC

GAF CLAN BREAKS GAME

We are in a Team Deathmatch game right now with 11 members on our side and 0 on the opposition. Jstevenson how do we win?

Edit -- Oh yea great games tonight. Hope to see BuddyC and some of the others around on Saturday.

BuddyC

SleazyC said:
Edit -- Oh yea great games tonight. Hope to see BuddyC and some of the others around on Saturday.
Afraid I won't be around Saturday, I'll be out of town making preparations for an upcoming move.
Meaning I'll be at my parent's cleaning out my old room so I can start storing stuff there, maybe even move back if I can't find a better job.
I'll be back on soon though, rest assured. Probably gonna aim for one night of Resistance a week, at least.

BuddyC

By the way, next time I play, we're totally doing some unranked Conversion matches. You folks simply do not know what you're missing out on. It's kinda like a two-tier survival match, where first you're a human, then a Chimera (with an adjustable number of lives). Of course, rage mode makes this rather interesting...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DenogginizerOS said:
yeah

and ICE. Winter Storm Warning
Alright, I'll hope for the best. More snow than ice please. :)

SleazyC said:
GAF CLAN BREAKS GAME

We are in a Team Deathmatch game right now with 11 members on our side and 0 on the opposition. Jstevenson how do we win?
:lol That happened to me before like a month ago. Dunno what happened, I just quit out of the server.

BuddyC said:
Probably gonna aim for one night of Resistance a week, at least.
Better than nothing. AKA what you have been doing before today. ;)

BuddyC said:
By the way, next time I play, we're totally doing some unranked Conversion matches. You folks simply do not know what you're missing out on.
Sounds like a plan, conversion is intense. :D

Good games tonight, gonna go watch a couple movies now.

JB1981

BuddyC said:
By the way, next time I play, we're totally doing some unranked Conversion matches. You folks simply do not know what you're missing out on.

I'm down. I'd love to play some different types of games. A CTF match would be fun too.

M3Freak

Banned
SleazyC said:
GAF CLAN BREAKS GAME

Yeah, what the hell was that? We were all like - FASTEST WIN EVER!

Some cool stuff while we broke the game:

1. Chucking frag grenade straight into the air: go really high, and explode way up there.
2. Chucking the spike grenades in the air: go really high, start coming back down, and then explode about three to four meters above head - massive spread damage.
3. We could only kill ourselves.

Stupid me quit the game from inside instead of from the PS3 XMB or by simply turning the PS3 off. Anyway, I mistakingly quit the multiplayer game and then I couldn't get back in - network error (got lots of those earlier toda).

Oh yeah, that last meltdown game before we broke the team deathmatch was brilliant. Parked Lark - BEST STRATEGY EVER!!!! After we took all the nodes, we stormed the other teams base. Someone (don't remember who) got the Lark and fired it into their base entrance, but parked it right there. Then he let it hang until the other guys tried comig out and he let launched - instant hilarity.

Good games all around, guys. I wasn't expecting to play today, but I'm glad I did.

Note: I should keep a camera close by when we're online. Too much good stuff happens - it needs pictures!

Aeon712

Tonight was awesome, best parts were Bad_Boy suddenly killing me with a shotgun, I was like wtf there are no team deaths:lol. And the 11 of us vs the air. Was fun throwing nades in the air, hedgehogs look cool when they fall:)

lunlunqq

good games tonight. didn't expect so many ppl showed up.

customized games are going out of control these days. out of 100 games, 90 are all weapons at respown, infinite ammo, plus one-hit-kill... too chaotic for my taste...

Top Bottom