• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

M3Freak

Banned
kaching said:
NeoGAF clan:

I've started maintaining the clan roster in a Google spreadsheet which you can view here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

It works well for me so I can maintain the list from work or home as i get requests for invites throughout the day, and you can also keep tabs on status of clan invites and the roster itself if you want. The list is currently broken into three sections: 1st section for actual clan members, 2nd section for people I've sent invites to who haven't accepted yet and 3rd section for people who have requested an invited to whom I haven't sent one yet (my To Do list).

Bear in mind this roster is not the same as the list Wollan has been posting every few pages in this thread.

I'll be working on filling in blanks and general organization over the next few days, so expect this to change a bit.

Sweet idea. Easily viewable from here, and should make your life managing the clan much easier.

I was actually considering putting together a spreadsheet, but then couldn't figure out what the best method for distributing it would be. I never even considered the Google online apps.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Christopher said:
oh someone send me an invite I wasn't aware that to join a "clan" you needed to be invited...oh well I'm so new to online games :(, and I suck at shooters. But I will provide awesome commentary haha.
Chris, confirm what your PSN ID is if it's not the same as your GAF ID. Then, make sure you've logged into Resistance's online lobby, otherwise I can't send you an invite. PM when you've done that, confirming your PSN ID and then I'll send you a clan invite.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Roster Update:

I ditched the breakdown into three sections and added a status column instead so I could have one flat, sortable table. Clan statuses are as follows:

Active = a member - you've accepted your invite
Invited = I've sent you an invite but it hasn't been accepted yet
Pending = You requested an invite but I haven't had a chance to send yet

I also tried adding a column so you quickly jump to anyone's ranked stats on myresistance.net but I haven't figured out how to get Google spreadsheets to make URLs clickable in the published version yet. If anyone knows how, let me know. For now, copy and paste the URL to your browser address bar.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
kaching said:
Roster Update:

I ditched the breakdown into three sections and added a status column instead so I could have one flat, sortable table. Clan statuses are as follows:

Active = a member - you've accepted your invite
Invited = I've sent you an invite but it hasn't been accepted yet
Pending = You requested an invite but I haven't had a chance to send yet

I also tried adding a column so you quickly jump to anyone's ranked stats on myresistance.net but I haven't figured out how to get Google spreadsheets to make URLs clickable in the published version yet. If anyone knows how, let me know. For now, copy and paste the URL to your browser address bar.

Thanks for the invite. I'll go accept shortly.

chespace said:
Thanks for the invite. I'll go accept shortly.

If you start playing with the clan right now, you might end up hating Resistance. Because most of us have high ranks, we always end up playing with players who are really good. If you're not used to the flow of online matches and just get killed you might end up feeling lost and not having fun.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Kittonwy said:
Oh and that last CTF match was fun!!! I grabbed that flag and just ran like crazy, I didn't even care if there was anybody from the blue team going after me.
Indifferent2.gif

Oooo, we really should get into some CTF games some night. Back in college we used to play 16-player Halo 2-3 nights a week (all night) and we always started with a ritual that was essentially just like grade school Captains picking teams.

I was always picked first for one of the teams because I was the best flag-runner. Those were the days.

patsu

akachan ningen said:
I still have yet to play a single CTF game.

Wanna know the worst CTF game in history ?
:D

I started playing near end November.

My very first MP game was CTF. I was somewhat lost and wandered into the enemy camp. Killed the guard behind the bunker, grabbed the shiny flag and zigzagged all the way home in a roundabout way (because I was still lost).

I thought the house we started in is "home", so I went all the way up to 3rd floor. Eventually there were other new players with me (They got killed and spawned around me). None of us had a mike so I couldn't ask anyone what to do... I was pretty sure they didn't know too since none of them tried to lead me.

I also didn't know the key to show the frigging map (tried to jam a few button combinations). So the bunch of us stayed in 3rd floor until the end (We basically fought each other, and sometimes some sniper would kill those looking out of the window for too long. A few would go out and hunt for the sniper(s)).

The second and last time I played CTF... It was on a different map. I just followed any guy who seem likely to capture a flag and made sure both of us survived till the end. Now I know where the base is for the second map, but I never got to play any yet.

Somewhere along the way, I also found out the key to show map. If you look at my profile, it shows I have captured 0 flag. ~~sigh~~~

lunlunqq

patsu said:
Wanna know the worst CTF game in history ?
:D

I started playing near end November.

My very first MP game was CTF. I was somewhat lost and wandered into the enemy camp. Killed the guard behind the bunker, grabbed the shiny flag and zigzagged all the way home in a roundabout way (because I was still lost).

I thought the house we started in is "home", so I went all the way up to 3rd floor. Eventually there were other new players with me (They got killed and spawned around me). None of us had a mike so I couldn't ask anyone what to do... I was pretty sure they didn't know too since none of them tried to lead me.

I also didn't know the key to show the frigging map (tried to jam a few button combinations). So the bunch of us stayed in 3rd floor until the end (We basically fought each other, and sometimes some sniper would kill those looking out of the window for too long. A few would go out and hunt for the sniper(s)).

The second and last time I played CTF... It was on a different map. I just followed any guy who seem likely to capture a flag and made sure both of us survived till the end. Now I know where the base is for the second map, but I never got to play any yet.

Somewhere along the way, I also found out the key to show map. If you look at my profile, it shows I have captured 0 flag. ~~sigh~~~

:lol :lol :lol

Patsu, why didn't you accept our invite last night? we'be been trying to PM you like crazy.

btw, if you want to play some CTF games, don't come in the "rush hours." I think all CTF maps are 16-player maps. so unless you are in a party of less than 8, you will never get CTF. most times our clan party is too big for CTF.

djkimothy

Was there a meet up last night? Are we doing an unofficial "every night is resistance night?"

I was on last night but was playing through the single player campaign. I'm at the part with the jeep. So much fun running over the chimeras. And that rail gun is just awesome. That would be awesome in co-op. :D

lunlunqq

Oh, js, i think i discovered a bug:

last night i was the party leader. when i was on a searching & joining ranked game screen, i opened up the buddy list to see if there are more GAFers to invite. then a "join game failed" error occured and i was stuck on the joining screen. i could still hear everybody talking but they couldn't hear me. i could even open the buddy list and check everyone's status. i just couldn't quit the joining screen. when i tried to push the PS button and quit the game, my system froze up (on the "please wait..." system screen). i had to push the power button to shut down my ps3.

this has happened to me twice. exactly the same situation and the same symptom. i think you guys may want to check it out.

M3Freak

Banned
djkimothy said:
Was there a meet up last night? Are we doing an unofficial "every night is resistance night?"

Yeah, there was, and I was playing the campaign last night too. Seems like there's quite a few GAF clan members online every night.

djkimothy said:
I was on last night but was playing through the single player campaign. I'm at the part with the jeep. So much fun running over the chimeras. And that rail gun is just awesome. That would be awesome in co-op. :D

When I played through that last week, I at first played very cautiously. I kept the jeep far enough away so as to not attract attention, and I would sneak up taking pot shots. The jeep eventually would start firing too. This strategy didn't work very well.

Eventually I started driving right up to the bases and let the jeep do it's thing while I ran around doing mine. That worked okay, but still couldn't progress.

What did work was a mix of the two strategies above. I then figured out that I could just as easily ram the Chimera at full speed and probably not take much damage. That was _fun_.

The Chimera would go flying, or sometimes they would even dive out of the way. One of them was playing really smart and kept hugging the transport when I came around the corners. I wasn't able to get him, though eventually he was launched into the air like his fellow mutant freaks.

The Jer

The first time I played with the jeep I kind of "cheaped" my way through it.

I checked to see if Cartwright could die by putting him in front of a bunch of chimeras while I took cover. I saw him get hit in the head by one of those turrets for a full 15 seconds. After I relized he couldn't die, I would drive as fast as I could toward the entrance of the bunkers, coming from behind one the bunkers (and running over the one or two chimera that stayed behind the bunker). I would jump out early and take cover. After about a minute, Cartwright had killed killed everyone in the bunkers, save maybe one or two. I would then take out the auger and take out the the last couple chimera from behind the bunkers, where I couldn't get hit (one chimera was almost always behind the turret). There was sometimes auger ammo in the bunkers, from the dead chimera. So, I never had to put myself in harms way and never had to pick up health.

I've gone back since and done it legit.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
djkimothy said:
Are we doing an unofficial "every night is resistance night?"
Heh - almost seems that way. I'll log on sometimes just to send a clan invite and if I'm on for more than a minute or two, I get a party invite sent my way.

The Jer

DenogginizerOS said:
So, who is playing tonight? raises hand

ARGG. I don't have time to play every night, stop tempting me. I ended up not having time to sleep tuesday night as it was....

I may try to get on tonight, we'll see. Heck, maybe I'll get some scoop chinese or a pizza or something and just veg out.

tanod

when is my burrito
The Jer said:
The first time I played with the jeep I kind of "cheaped" my way through it.

I checked to see if Cartwright could die by putting him in front of a bunch of chimeras while I took cover. I saw him get hit in the head by one of those turrets for a full 15 seconds. After I relized he couldn't die, I would drive as fast as I could toward the entrance of the bunkers, coming from behind one the bunkers (and running over the one or two chimera that stayed behind the bunker). I would jump out early and take cover. After about a minute, Cartwright had killed killed everyone in the bunkers, save maybe one or two. I would then take out the auger and take out the the last couple chimera from behind the bunkers, where I couldn't get hit (one chimera was almost always behind the turret). There was sometimes auger ammo in the bunkers, from the dead chimera. So, I never had to put myself in harms way and never had to pick up health.

I've gone back since and done it legit.

How is that not a legit way to do that level? That's called strategy.
I ran over as many people as I could, circled a couple times around the bunkers and then jumped out of the jeep just before getting to the front. After Cartwright cleaned up, I used the auger and the hailstorm to get the rest.
I just finished that level for the second time on a higher difficulty and that was the only way I could do it.

djkimothy

I like using the sniper rifle so I usually peg off some chimeras from a distance in the bunkers then let the Jeep and the gunner take care of the rest. Though, never made it past the first gate. Had to end the game there. Not enough sniper bullets too.

Hailstorm is just insane.

The Jer

tanod said:
How is that not a legit way to do that level? That's called strategy.
I ran over as many people as I could, circled a couple times around the bunkers and then jumped out of the jeep just before getting to the front. After Cartwright cleaned up, I used the auger and the hailstorm to get the rest.
I just finished that level for the second time on a higher difficulty and that was the only way I could do it.

It still felt cheap. I pretty much involved me putting down the controller, doing something else for a minute or two, and coming back after Cartwight had cleaned up.

M3Freak

Banned
The Jer said:

I'll have to try that when I go through the campaign a second time.

I think I'll be finishing the game soon. I'm in the Chimera tunnels right now.

Treo360

The Jer said:
It still felt cheap. I pretty much involved me putting down the controller, doing something else for a minute or two, and coming back after Cartwight had cleaned up.

Yeah that was cheap, as well as when you get to
get inside the stalker (I believe for the first time) that has the rocket launchers equipped and you have to fend off the chimera, do this; Barely go outside the hangar, and start blasting away, you'll beat that mini-boss fight in about 30-60 seconds. Now that felt really cheap.

patsu

lunlunqq said:
:lol :lol :lol

Patsu, why didn't you accept our invite last night? we'be been trying to PM you like crazy.

btw, if you want to play some CTF games, don't come in the "rush hours." I think all CTF maps are 16-player maps. so unless you are in a party of less than 8, you will never get CTF. most times our clan party is too big for CTF.

Because I always leave my PS3 in Resistance MP (I never turn it off). :)

By the time I got home, you guys were already playing. I sent 2 messages to you and went to play with other guys while waiting. Never got a second invite, so I played through almost the whole night (until 4am).

patsu

To the Resistance...

Trapped in Grimsby with m3freak. Send help now. Repeat... send help now.
We'll wait as long as we can before wives get mad. :p

Kittonwy

Banned
The Jer said:
ARGG. I don't have time to play every night, stop tempting me. I ended up not having time to sleep tuesday night as it was....

I may try to get on tonight, we'll see. Heck, maybe I'll get some scoop chinese or a pizza or something and just veg out.

My "checking to see if anyone else is online" pretty much always ends up being another night of Resistance MP.
Indifferent2.gif

Tonight wasn't bad towards the end (at the beginning we were getting PWN3D), that last meltdown match in manchester was sweet.
Indifferent2.gif

Wollan

Something I've been wondering about is if Sony has asked Insomniac to share their knowledge of the PS3 online structure and practical findings after the game has shipped (with it's living, breathing community) with other developers. I'm not necessarily talking game features but hard data on what works and what doesn't in terms of information flow, how they went to set stuff up, challenges on the way..etc. I'm imagining data like this would be extremely beneficial to other devs on the PS3 which are working on a larger online component to their game (Guerrilla for example). JS, any comments on regarding if you're sharing info like that?

The Jer

Those games of Resistance tonight were fun. I wasn't expecting so many people on so late. I just turned on my PS3 to see if anyone else was playing :) . The game where we played no one was the best (I was the idiot laughing like a little girl :)).
14 GAF on 0!!!! The Bullseye bombs and the bulleye halos and starting and stopping the lark rocket inches from another player. I decided to take some screen captures. Most of them turned out TERRIBLE. They ones linked below are just the ones that turned out awfull, which is a minor step up from terrible (poor capture quality ftl). And so, I leave you with the dual-wield.

446317snapshot_200728_0007.gif

http://www.imagemozilla.com/images/309495snapshot_200728_0022.gif
http://www.imagemozilla.com/images/943045snapshot_200728_0020.gif
http://www.imagemozilla.com/images/366226snapshot_200728_0011.gif
http://www.imagemozilla.com/images/359104snapshot_200728_0014.gif
http://www.imagemozilla.com/images/60285snapshot_200728_0000.gif
http://www.imagemozilla.com/images/882529snapshot_200728_0001.gif
http://www.imagemozilla.com/images/446317snapshot_200728_0007.gif

lunlunqq

arrrrrr!!!!!!!!! i was so tired today that i went straight to bed after i got off work... i just woke up (2:00 AM EST)... are you guys still playing??? :(

The Jer

lunlunqq said:
arrrrrr!!!!!!!!! i was so tired today that i went straight to bed after i got off work... i just woke up (2:00 AM EST)... are you guys still playing??? :(

I caught them right at the end. I'm pretty sure everyone just got off. You could always check, though. Good luck. I'm workin' on stuff on and off now, or I would get on again.

Wollan

I've yet to see a movie clip or photo with the Arc Charger actually firing. From the sounds of it, it's the gun I'm most interested in as I ALWAYS end up digging similar weapons in games like the Tesla Coil in Red Alert or the Chain lighting in Wow and so forth. Can anyone please hook me up with that?

lunlunqq said:

Don't you hate that...

I hate when I sleep early in the day and then have nothing to do at night.

tanod

when is my burrito
Wollan said:
Something I've been wondering about is if Sony has asked Insomniac to share their knowledge of the PS3 online structure and practical findings after the game has shipped (with it's living, breathing community) with other developers. I'm not necessarily talking game features but hard data on what works and what doesn't in terms of information flow, how they went to set stuff up, challenges on the way..etc. I'm imagining data like this would be extremely beneficial to other devs on the PS3 which are working on a larger online component to their game (Guerrilla for example). JS, any comments on regarding if you're sharing info like that?

I remember from the interview you posted on the OP that they said that Sony actually owns the IP for Resistance. Wouldn't that include code as well?

Wollan

Yup, Sony own the ip. But I was thinking in more terms of data feedback from actually having a online community to work with.

Is it possible to connect a PS3 to a computer monitor that supports 720p, 1080i? Right now my monitor is connected to my X800XL with a DVI connection. Urge to buy PS3 is rising rapidly

JB1981

Doom_Bringer said:
Is it possible to connect a PS3 to a computer monitor that supports 720p, 1080i? Right now my monitor is connected to my X800XL with a DVI connection. Urge to buy PS3 is rising rapidly

if your monitor has dvi, you would just need a hdmi-dvi cable.

Been playing the demo, and the aiming seems a little jumpy. Maybe I just need more practice to adjust. Also, the game only looks good when I have it set to 720p, but when I have my PS3 set to 720p, the sides of the screen are chopped off a bit. The perspective is correct at 1080i, though.

The Jer

JB1981 said:
if your monitor has dvi, you would just need a hdmi-dvi cable.

I've been unable to connect to my computer monitor using HDMI to DVI-D converter thus far.

When I select HDMI and press x to change, the monitor recieves a digital signal, but remains black. I'm not sure if this is because my computer monitor cannot recieve a 480i signal, or what. I'm really not sure why it doesn't work right now, but I've kind of been hoping it could be fixed in a firmware update or something.

tanod

when is my burrito
The Jer said:
I've been unable to connect to my computer monitor using HDMI to DVI-D converter thus far.

When I select HDMI and press x to change, the monitor recieves a digital signal, but remains black. I'm not sure if this is because my computer monitor cannot recieve a 480i signal, or what. I'm really not sure why it doesn't work right now, but I've kind of been hoping it could be fixed in a firmware update or something.

Have you tried hooking everything up and then holding down the power button when the console is off to reset the display settings?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
brandonh83 said:
Also, the game only looks good when I have it set to 720p, but when I have my PS3 set to 720p, the sides of the screen are chopped off a bit. The perspective is correct at 1080i, though.
In that case, you need to adjust the TV for overscan. When you set the PS3 to 1080i, Resistance actually plays in 480p mode.

Top Bottom