• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

tanod

when is my burrito
Bad_Boy said:
Personally I think long range perfectly landing grenade throws are the most satisfying. :D

Especially if you're doing it while jumping off a platform or going up an airovator.
Don't ask me, they said that's what those are in an interview. :) ^^^

tanod

when is my burrito
All online multiplayer games should be this good. It's really odd (but common) for me to jump on Resistance thinking I'm gonna play through some more single player, only to jump online just to see if anybody is on and get sucked into playing a few rounds with whoever is on.

I used to loathe multiplayer!! WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? :D :D :D

Resistance = Secret Best Game Ever

The games last night were great. Being on defense, you can tell when your playing against organized teams. They need to tone down the arc chargers base damage, that thing is brutal. Sorry i bailed without telling anyone, I was trying to say goodbye, but Safe_Bet was discussing deep tactical issues with everyone. Ill try to eat less crunchy foods next time.

lunlunqq

sonycowboy said:
It's mostly because:

a) My 22 month old daughter is running around screaming her head off
b) I'm not on at the time of the scheduled clan games (Because of said daughter)
c) On the 3 or 4 occasions where I've responded to the invite, the darn games are full.

Mostly, it's a matter of scheduling. I usually play before 9PM EST (6PM PST). I'll try harder ;)

having kids sounds like fun! ;)

as mentioned last night, my gf is 400 miles away from me... if she's here with me, i guess i won't be able to play resistance with you guys. she hates me playing video games... :(

M3Freak

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
You can count me in. Some of those Breach games last night were EPIC.

We had one match where we took over everything (took a while), and then started to swarm their base (we were humans at the time). At one point enough of us bit the dust to let most of the Chimera team out of their base. They all streamed out at the same time.

I showed up just as they were being engaged by GAF. When I ran in I saw a mass of Chimera standing in a line, trying to hold us off. It was kind of like two armies of old facing off. All I could say was "whoa", and returned the favour.

I haven't seen anything like that in R:FoM before.

M3Freak

Banned
sonycowboy said:
It's mostly because:

b) I'm not on at the time of the scheduled clan games (Because of said daughter)
c) On the 3 or 4 occasions where I've responded to the invite, the darn games are full.

Mostly, it's a matter of scheduling. I usually play before 9PM EST (6PM PST). I'll try harder ;)

I know how you feel. I have an 18 month old daughter who now does the same thing. My wife is starting to get a little irritated by these clan nights because she ends up having to run around after her for a few hours.

I'm very, very tempted to get on tonight too, even though I told myself yesterday I wouldn't until Saturday. Not sure what I'll end up doing. :)

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
M3Freak said:
We had one match where we took over everything (took a while), and then started to swarm their base (we were humans at the time). At one point enough of us bit the dust to let most of the Chimera team out of their base. They all streamed out at the same time.

I showed up just as they were being engaged by GAF. When I ran in I saw a mass of Chimera standing in a line, trying to hold us off. It was kind of like two armies of old facing off. All I could say was "whoa", and returned the favour.

I haven't seen anything like that in R:FoM before.

I remember someone coming over the voice chat and saying that the defense was coming over to offense and then the assault was on. Everywhere you looked, there seemed to be a battle going on. It was just awesome to see.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
M3Freak said:
I know how you feel. I have an 18 month old daughter who now does the same thing. My wife is starting to get a little irritated by these clan nights because she ends up having to run around after her for a few hours.

I'm very, very tempted to get on tonight too, even though I told myself yesterday I wouldn't until Saturday. Not sure what I'll end up doing. :)

Are you guys on the west coast? My daughter is getting ready for bed around 8pmEST and she is 5.

ghostmind

DenogginizerOS said:
Are you guys on the west coast? My daughter is getting ready for bed around 8pmEST and she is 5.

My 18-month old has a bedtime of 7pm MT... perfect timing to jump into a Resistance session right afterwards...

M3Freak

Banned
tanod said:
All online multiplayer games should be this good. It's really odd (but common) for me to jump on Resistance thinking I'm gonna play through some more single player, only to jump online just to see if anybody is on and get sucked into playing a few rounds with whoever is on.

I used to loathe multiplayer!! WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME!?!?!?!!?!?!?!? :D :D :D

Resistance = Secret Best Game Ever

That is EXACTLY what happens to me and how I feel about online multiplayer.

I haven't completed the campaign yet - I think I'm about 50% through. I turn the game on with the intention of playing the campaign, and I end up going online to see if any GAFers are there. If I find them, campaign bites the dust for another night.

I never really understood the whole online gaming thing. I'm not a PC gamer, so that's why I don't have a lot of experience with it. The few games I did play online with my PS2 were good, but I didn't play them much. The LAN adaptor was a waste of money for me, really.

Resistance has completely changed that. It's my benchmark for online multiplayer. The game modes are brilliant.

BTW, I experienced my first EVER instance of slowdown yesterday. I ran into Papa (I have no idea what the map name is) chasing after a couple of Chimera. Before I got there, someone flamed the guy to death. When I went into the node room, there were flames _everywhere_, and a few Chimera still running around. People were chucking grenades, hedgehogs, and firing, all the while the room was burning. The framerate actually dropped a little. It wasn't a big hit - maybe down to 25 fps - and it didn't last for lone because I got killed. But, it did drop.

M3Freak

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:

I'm on the east coast. She's usually not in bed until 11:00 p.m., and most of the time 11:30. p.m. We're slowly getting her to go to bed earlier, so eventually she should be out by 9:00 p.m.

I think she's napping too much during the day. She has one nap, but most days she's sleeping for 2 to 3 hours. We're going to have to start waking her after one hour. That will tire her out.

tanod

when is my burrito
M3Freak said:
That is EXACTLY what happens to me and how I feel about online multiplayer.

I haven't completed the campaign yet - I think I'm about 50% through. I turn the game on with the intention of playing the campaign, and I end up going online to see if any GAFers are there. If I find them, campaign bites the dust for another night.

I never really understood the whole online gaming thing. I'm not a PC gamer, so that's why I don't have a lot of experience with it. The few games I did play online with my PS2 were good, but I didn't play them much. The LAN adaptor was a waste of money for me, really.

Resistance has completely changed that. It's my benchmark for online multiplayer. The game modes are brilliant..

QFT - I've beaten the SP game once though.

M3Freak said:
BTW, I experienced my first EVER instance of slowdown yesterday. I ran into Papa (I have no idea what the map name is) chasing after a couple of Chimera. Before I got there, someone flamed the guy to death. When I went into the node room, there were flames _everywhere_, and a few Chimera still running around. People were chucking grenades, hedgehogs, and firing, all the while the room was burning. The framerate actually dropped a little. It wasn't a big hit - maybe down to 25 fps - and it didn't last for lone because I got killed. But, it did drop.

Incidentally, I had an instance of slow down for the first time too, in the same game just before I heard you say that you did. It was only a half second though.

Aeon712

JB1981 said:
I don't want to have to wait til Friday night to play this again, so you guys should hop on tonight around 9pm est. Thanks. ;)
I'm like Kittonwy, I usually sign on to multiplayer whenever I feel like it to see if any gaffers are on to play. Resistance online is too addicting. I'll try to be on at 9pm but will have to stop at 10 for new Lost:D. If anyone is still on at 11 I'll be back on.

Mrbob

So are all these games on a tight leash schedule?

Many nights I don't get home until 10PM EST, so I don't want to be out of the loop for online games.

Safe Bet

Banned
bigfatgameguy said:
I was trying to say goodbye, but Safe_Bet was discussing deep tactical issues with everyone.
I really am trying to keep my 'crying' to a minimum...

I get a little better at it every time we play...

;)

Aeon712

Mrbob said:

Many nights I don't get home until 10PM EST, so I don't want to be out of the loop for online games.
Official meetups seem just to give everyone a target time to get on. There's usually somebody on when I decide to check online. If yu wanna play tonight come and join the fun :).

And I just checked the stats and Lunlunqq is 488 on the kill spree rankings with 22. I'm gonna go cry now at my crappy 6 kill spree.

Safe Bet

Banned
Aeon712 said:
And I just checked the stats and Lunlunqq is 488 on the kill spree rankings with 22. I'm gonna go cry now at my crappy 6 kill spree.
22?!?!

How in the hell did he manage that?

I think I've only gotten over ten once and that was when the game was new...

:/

Mrbob said:

I should be on more now that my house addition is about done. I'm there for ya, Bob. =)

tanod

when is my burrito
Safe Bet said:
22?!?!

I was getting some really good kill spree medals playing defense last night. I got a couple 5 kills and a 7.

Lunlunqq is a lot better than me but I think he might have said that's how he has done it (defense).

sonycowboy said:
It's mostly because:

Sounds familiar

SleazyC

Safe Bet said:
22?!?!

Most I've had is 14 and I struggled with that one but really I see 3 ways to go about it.

1.) Sniper with a good team backing you up so you don't get rushed and killed.
2.) Being extremely cautious and hiding when you have low health and generally running with a group and trying to take as many kills while not dying.
3.) You are jesus and are that good.

I'd probably guess between 2 and 3 as lunlun is a pretty damn good player.

Big-E

I had a 19 for a kill spree once but I got disconnected and it didnt register . I am still pissed about that. Next game on the Lexington I am going to try for 20.

Big-E said:
I had a 19 for a kill spree once but I got disconnected and it didnt register . I am still pissed about that. Next game on the Lexington I am going to try for 20.

Isn't it really easy to die on Lexington? The whole map is out in the open. Or is there a secret hiding spot somwhere?

lunlunqq

tanod said:
I was getting some really good kill spree medals playing defense last night. I got a couple 5 kills and a 7.

Lunlunqq is a lot better than me but I think he might have said that's how he has done it (defense).

oh, that.

no, not defending. i got that 22 kill spree in a TMD game when playing with you guys. i was just playing my part in the wedge. i think i had a shot of the final result screen for that game... let me see... this is the one:
simg0364rk1.jpg

i did not even have the highest score in that game and click was not part of the clan yet... good old days...

Big-E

akachan ningen said:
Isn't it really easy to die on Lexington? The whole map is out in the open. Or is there a secret hiding spot somwhere?

Lexington is the best place to snipe. You just got to watch your back.

Wollan

I was digging through my Photobucket and I found some relatively interesting pics:

Here's the overview of how the Chimera have changed in looks:

ChimeraModels.jpg

TGS Resistance booth:

DSCN0740.jpg

Here's me sneaking at the Resistance booth at TGS:

DSCN0839.jpg

Here's a drawing I made from the multiplayer level I played there (Nottingham I think?):

re.jpg

Here's a guy that looked really into the game :lol :

DSCN0760.jpg

Safe Bet

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Stay on the top deck as much as possible.

Get your team to 'take' one side of the deck or the other.

Watch you flanks...

IMHO

It's a great map that I use to hate but now really enjoy.

lunlunqq

will you guys play tonight? i have a lot of documents to prepare for tomorrow's work. but if you guys play, i will join the wedge.

SleazyC

I might be able to slip in a couple games after I finish a project and another assignment. Not sure what time it will be though.

J-Rzez

Kill/death 2.442
Longest Killing Spree 20

man... I'm sooo close to getting on the boards... yet soooo far away... :*(

Guess I gotta get back in the groove... I'll play tonight...

EDIT: Wow the stat tracking at myresistance.net is crazy! Good Job Insomniac!

Gah. I had my first Bluetooth issue while playing tonight. I was running up a rope bridge and all of a sudden I started spinning for 2 seconds. It didn't get me killed, but gah. Do we still not know what causes this?

M3Freak said:
I'm on the east coast. She's usually not in bed until 11:00 p.m., and most of the time 11:30. p.m. We're slowly getting her to go to bed earlier, so eventually she should be out by 9:00 p.m.

I think she's napping too much during the day. She has one nap, but most days she's sleeping for 2 to 3 hours. We're going to have to start waking her after one hour. That will tire her out.

My kid (22 months old) barely naps at all, and still doesn't seem to ever really get tired. She sleeps through the night which is great, but she doesn't actually go to sleep until 11. Strangely, on the odd days that she does take naps, she also goes to bed earlier. Kids are weird buggers.

SleazyC

Short (for me at least) but good set of games tonight guys. These past couple of days feels like we've been clicking on all cylinders and kicking ass.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
NeoGAF clan:

I've started maintaining the clan roster in a Google spreadsheet which you can view here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p62Ro_nUUSfscF9g032W-Aw

It works well for me so I can maintain the list from work or home as i get requests for invites throughout the day, and you can also keep tabs on status of clan invites and the roster itself if you want. The list is currently broken into three sections: 1st section for actual clan members, 2nd section for people I've sent invites to who haven't accepted yet and 3rd section for people who have requested an invited to whom I haven't sent one yet (my To Do list).

Bear in mind this roster is not the same as the list Wollan has been posting every few pages in this thread.

I'll be working on filling in blanks and general organization over the next few days, so expect this to change a bit.

Christopher

oh someone send me an invite I wasn't aware that to join a "clan" you needed to be invited...oh well I'm so new to online games :(, and I suck at shooters. But I will provide awesome commentary haha.

theBishop

Banned
i think we should have a few Ridge Racer nights. As much as i love Resistance, its extended replay value is taking away from other PS3 games i own. Not to mention, i'm playing Okami and FF12 as well.

Kittonwy

Banned
theBishop said:
i think we should have a few Ridge Racer nights. As much as i love Resistance, its extended replay value is taking away from other PS3 games i own. Not to mention, i'm playing Okami and FF12 as well.

Good thing I finished those two games before starting to play Resistance MP in earnest.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Oh and that last CTF match was fun!!! I grabbed that flag and just ran like crazy, I didn't even care if there was anybody from the blue team going after me.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

Kittonwy said:
Oh and that last CTF match was fun!!! I grabbed that flag and just ran like crazy, I didn't even care if there was anybody from the blue team going after me.
Indifferent2.gif
Haha yea, I didn't even know what that other guy was saying when I grabbed the flag before him. I think he really wanted to score:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
Aeon712 said:
Haha yea, I didn't even know what that other guy was saying when I grabbed the flag before him. I think he really wanted to score:lol

He was like, "where the smurf did the flag go? Smurf!!! Where did it go?"
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom