• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Wollan

Don't forget about the scheduled game tonight at 6pm PST. In other words.. Get in there now bitches!.

Reposted for great justice:

ChimNeoGAF.jpg

List of people who clearly posted their PSN tag in this thread (for US version of Resistance):

NeoGAF name: - PSN tag: - Time Zone:

kaching - kaching (NeoGAF US Clan-leader, PM your details)
M3wThr33 - M3wThr33
lunlunqq - lunlunqq
Z_Y - Z_Y
White Man - TVC15
thundersabre - thundersabre
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
cochese - SEMBE
BruceLeeRoy - CFD_BruceLeeRoy
JB1981 - Beamber

Bad_Boy - Bad_Boy
Mackaveli - Mackaveli
jstevenson - jstevenson - PST
Angelus - PorkChopExpress
Azrael - FilliamHMuffman
Ignatz Mouse - IgnatzMouse
XMonkey - snak
bigfatgameguy - gamerecks
drohne - drohne
TheJollyCorner - IrishFigg

skrew - skrew
Belfast - belfastga
acousticvan - mgs_van
gluv65 - backbreaker65 - PST
Kittonwy - Kittonwy
Baron Aloha - Will0928
greatestjediever - greatestjediever
Typhonsentra - Typhonsentra
Big-E - BigE - PST
Agent X - AgentX

Dazzyman - Dazzyman
rager - beowolf
Fierydevil - Diagol
GAZERK - GAZERCK
zedge - NirvanaX
AltogetherAndrews - PoisonMarket
Lancelet Pink - GummadoonKnight
rc213 - rc213 - PST
Gunstar77 - Gunstar77
commish - TigerHeli

Crackerman16 - Click
Carl2282 - Carl2282
JdFoX187 - JdFoX187
bishoptl - bishoptl
theBishop - theBishop
ghostmind - ghostmind - MST
Arde0 - Arde0
Red Blaster - Ranger-Albatross
djkimothy - djkimothy - EST
hukasmokincaterpillar - DirtyWater

Matt_C - Matarick
M3freak - m3freak - EST
Gremmie4 - MOLeary
teepo - teepo
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
garrickk - Garrick
jjasper - jjasper - CST
Remy - RemyVJA
I3rand0 - I3rand0
Y2Kevbug11 - Y2Kevbug11

snack - snackcakeofd00m
SnakeXs - SnakeXs
Phoenix Down - Sky2k
aloof - aloof
ijm72 - younghov72
Pristine_Condition - HijoDelLocoRoco - CST
OverHeat - OverHeat - EST
SonyCowboy - scowboy
dark_preacher - dark_preacher
ChanHuk - ChanHuk

LJ11 - LJ11 - EST
Aeon712 - Aeon712 - EST
Captain N - Captain-N
The Jer - TheJer - MST
Christopher - Chris_Russo
Snah - Lemm
squicken - squick3n - CST
DenogginizerOS - Denogginizer - EST
chespace - chespace - PST
J-Rzez - Johnny_Rzeznik - EST

[CFD] El Capitan - Evazan - PST
tanod - Tanod - CST
SleazyC - SleazyC - EST
rage1973 - rage1973
belvedere - Belvedere - CST
Google - deanplayd
3rdamention - Filth_Flannigan
KTallguy - KTallguy
MrBob - MrBob2k7
acklame - Gamabunta

llTll - X-E-N-O-N

ResClan.gif

Standard meet up times (for whenever you have the opportunity):

Tuesdays 6pm PST

Saturdays 6pm PST

Sundays 6pm PST

(Monday Jan 29th: Times adjusted slightly in favor of the ESTeemed)

Suggestions suggest(!) that creating parties and going into ranked games together would be the preferred thing to do for the meet ups. So no longer do the first one to get online create a room but instead invite everyone to a party. This however makes it very important that you're all a part of the NeoGAF clan (pm kaching with details, make sure you've logged on to Resistance online at least once before) or simply have all folks listed above on your friend list. Again, the first one to get online should start a party and invite the others as they come online.

Also, it has come to my attention that over 20 people have started to show up for these meetups and that means one party is not enough. If that is the case then one of you simply need to create a second party. If you're the party leader (of either) then posting your details in this thread would be helpful.

The Wedge tactic explained:

Remy said:
The "flying wedge" is the term given to our tendency to mob together in a violent swarm and shoot the everliving hell out of anyone who dares get near us. It leads to multiple assists per kill which leads to a 20-60% increase in points. 16 points for a kill is far better than 10!

It does not, despite its name, resemble a true flying wedge - although generally whoever is at the front of the pack will get gunned down while those behind break through and destroy the opposition. So maybe it's not completely inaccurate.

I forget who came up with the term in context. Wasn't my idea, although I seem to be the Preacher Of All That Is Wedge-like.

Also people, it would be a big plus if everyone invested in a headset. For headset details and recommendations, follow this link. Good group play is helped by using your headset to report in changes that occur in the heat of battle. Enemy groups, Snipers, Node status and so forth.

A great addition
was made to http://www.myresistance.net on Monday Feb 5th in the form of leaderboards viewable straight from the site. It's time to get famous or die trying.

explainedCat3.gif

http://myresistance.net/ulead.php

For those who missed the details on the 1st UPDATE (aka patch) which released December 21st you can read the details here.

PS! Please don't quote this post unless you're on a new page (where this isn't posted).

M3Freak

Banned
SleazyC said:
Parties started! More people need to hop on though. Only me and Click in the party right now.

I probably won't be there until 10:00 pm EST if my wife decides to watch Desparate Housewives on the HDTV. IF she uses the other TV, then I'm probably looking at hoping on around 9:30 pm EST

patsu

Today is family day. I'll see if I can sneak some games in.

BTW, is there any female gamer in our clan ? After that 40 player match last night, I got a PM from some gal asking me how it felt to have my ass kicked by the fairer sex.

I joked to her she must have weighed 300 lbs and above to beat me up like that. Now I think her whole village is onto me. I got PMs from different guys who want to "party" with me.

I need protection from the flying wedge. Where do I sign to activate the service ?

Remy

patsu said:
BTW, is there any female gamer in our clan ? After that 40 player match last night, I got a PM from some gal asking me how it felt to have my ass kicked by the fairer sex.

That was someone from the other team on the Team DM match we had on Lexington early last night.

What was ironic was that we won both games, but she felt the need to spam us all saying "haha you got beat by a girl" since she squeaked out #1 both rounds or something?

Between her and the loud mouth idiots during that breach game...ugh.

I AM CALLING OUT CLAN GFA.

I may come a-knockin' in a few if the wedge is still a-rockin'.

patsu

Remy said:
That was someone from the other team on the Team DM match we had on Lexington early last night.

What was ironic was that we won both games, but she felt the need to spam us all saying "haha you got beat by a girl" since she squeaked out #1 both rounds or something?

Aha ! I shall file this under letter N... for nut cases.

My voice chat is not working, so I'm spared from any screaming in Resistance.

Kittonwy

Banned
Remy said:

Between her and the loud mouth idiots during that breach game...ugh.

I AM CALLING OUT CLAN GFA.

I may come a-knockin' in a few if the wedge is still a-rockin'.

I bet she's hot... well maybe not, but I would still want to believe.
Indifferent2.gif

SleazyC

patsu said:
Today is family day. I'll see if I can sneak some games in.

I joked to her she must have weighed 300 lbs and above to beat me up like that. Now I think her whole village is onto me. I got PMs from different guys who want to "party" with me.

I need protection from the flying wedge. Where do I sign to activate the service ?
Yea those guys. I just responded to the guy saying that our clan sucks by asking him if he wanted some tea and crumpets. He stopped messaging me after that.

J-Rzez

Wonder why I keep getting feedback in my mics? I used an USB before, and now a Bluetooth, and I have feedback... strange... so no mic for me tonight...

ps. wow i suck tonight :(

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Hi guys, sorry I haven't played with the clan yet. I wanted to get through single-player a bit more so I can at least learn the different weapons.

Just got to Manchester tonight, and yeah, this game does get much better in the firefight right before Manchester. I'm still getting slaughtered in the first crazy skimirsh at Manchester (E3 demo ftw here).

Here are some impressions so far...

* Still hate the audio for most guns, with the exception of maybe the shotgun. the carbine rifle sounds way too generic while the bullseye sounds way too weak. Hopefully this changes with later weapons.

* Level designs still leave a bit to be desired but they're getting better. I really like the whole City 17 vibe, where alien tech mixes with retro vintage stuff (it's a lot HL2 and a bit Ring of Red, really), but when you have to climb up a little step ladder made of crates and boxes to then walk along this tiny little plank, I am transported back to PC gaming circa 1998. Still, the foray into Manchester has the kind of COD2 chaos this game has lacked since the beginning. Love all the particle effects, and the incidental bodies flying this way and that in Manchester intro. Not sure why Insomniac didn't decide to make the game this intense from the get-go. Didn't they play COD2?

* The lack of a cover system and being forced to use tactics of attrition is bothering me less and less as the game goes on. Coming from Rainbow Six Vegas and GoW, it was driving me nuts that I was getting hit almost as much as I was dishing out the pain. I dunno, once I got used to Resistance's pacing -- which I began to accept as a design philosophy more than anything else -- the game started to click with me. I see this game as more of an old-school shooter in that regard.

* The biggest surprise right now, especially at the very end of Grimsby, is how good the AI is proving to be. Up until this point, I never really gave AI much thought in Resistance. It was basically "line'em up and blow'em away -- oh, and strafe behind some boxes and wait for the health recharge". At the end of Grimsby, these motherfrackers were chucking grenades, flanking like crazy, and being generally very unpredictable. I love the fact that the AI doesn't seem to "cheat" -- several times I would relocate myself after being pinned down, then circle around to the enemy as they closed in on my prior position. It was very refreshing to see that they had no idea where I was coming from as they scanned the area for me. Then it was all about a rifle butt to the back of the head. Other times, they would almost sense my desperation as one Chimera out of a pack of 3 or 4 would creep up to me and actually go melee and take me out. Overall, the firefights are proving to be very dynamic each time I restart. Although they're two completely different games, Resistance is starting to give me a Halo vibe in terms of firefights. This is a good thing.

Anyway, I hope the game can keep ramping it up. I'm thoroughly enjoying it now. It started quite slow, and was a total chore for the first 4 or 5 hours. More impressions later.

And hopefully I'll be getting online with the clan soon. :)

Aeon712

Good games tonight, Kittonwy has me saying "who can stop the gaf of war" now:lol

Also I killed the top player in Resistance multiple times, and he killed me 0 therefore I own him:)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
chespace said:
Not sure why Insomniac didn't decide to make the game this intense from the get-go. Didn't they play COD2?
Looking at their past games, might be part of their design philosophy, atm. They tend to ease players into the action since I think they design with a broader audience in mind, not specifically catering to the more hardcore players of a genre.

And which COD2 are you talking about anyway? The 360 version I played has you playing through target practice at the beginning of the game :p

chespace said:
Not sure why Insomniac didn't decide to make the game this intense from the get-go. Didn't they play COD2?

On one hand, I agree in that I believe kicking the game off on a slightly more intense note would have made for a better FPS experience for me (although I wonder how people unfamiliar with FPS would fare in such conditions). On the other hand, I grew tired of COD2 very quickly because the intensity was damned near level throughout the game. It started out with a scream, and then just kept on screaming. Given the choice, I'd take the cautious start up and steady ramp up of intensity that Resistance offers over the numbing, level intensity of COD2.

teiresias

OK, I'm trying to decide whether to get this game since getting my PS3 last week. My dad sort of wants me to get it since he likes FPS, but honestly, the only one he's ever played is Halo - on the PC, so he's used to kb/mouse play.

I also tend to suck at console FPS simply because I've never gotten good at aiming with analog sticks at all. I've downloaded the demo and it's fun, but I can't even get through the very first level they toss you into. I mean, i get pulverized, ducking behind cover but still getting hit for some unknown reason, everything feels so spastic, with the chimera from a football field length away shooting with pretty damn good precision, whereas it takes me like five minutes to get my crosshair anywhere near actually hitting someone that far away. It got better after I started taking my time a bit more, but it all feels a bit overwhelming. Is this indicative of the entire game or are they just throwing you into a bad situation from the get go and giving me a bad impression of the game? I wish I were better at console FPS games. :(

Anyway, opinions wanted, since I'd like a good online game to play, but I'm considering just holding out and waiting for Motorstorm to get my online fix - now THAT is an awesome demo, wow!

Resistance is all about the pacing. I think that is one of it's biggest hidden strengths. Both in-level with the little pockets where you can rest and explore, and in the level-to-level ramp-up, the pacing is steady and deliberate, like a David Mamet screenplay (except with lots of explosions and gunfire,) but just about perfect, IMO.

...it's also a brilliant way for real gamers to sniff out all the fake reviewers that wrote their Resistance reviews without playing getting 2/3 through the game. The last 1/3 of Resistance is awesome.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
teiresias said:
I mean, i get pulverized, ducking behind cover but still getting hit for some unknown reason, everything feels so spastic, with the chimera from a football field length away shooting with pretty damn good precision, whereas it takes me like five minutes to get my crosshair anywhere near actually hitting someone that far away. It got better after I started taking my time a bit more, but it all feels a bit overwhelming.

Yeah, this was my biggest problem with Resistance for the longest time. I just didn't feel like I had much control over the outcome of a firefight. But I think a large part of it was just that I was coming off of games like GoW and RS: Vegas, where the games give you a different tactical toolset to deal with the moment-to-moment. Once you learn Resistance's gameplay pacing (it is torrents of fast, relentless twitch gameplay with pockets of biding time, ducking for cover, waiting for your health to recharge and hoping the AI doesn't do something dastardly), the game opens up much more strategically.

Also, don't be shy to use grenades and plenty of secondary fire to even the odds. It's a difficult game and I'm playing on Normal and having to restart at regular intervals. But the challenge doesn't feel cheap, which is a good thing.

I think COD2 does scream an awful lot, but hey, it's war, dude. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Teiresias, what weapons do you have access to in the demo, do you know?

If it gives you the Auger, use its secondary fire to erect a shield in front of you that lasts for 10-15 seconds - you can shoot through it but enemy fire is stopped, except if they're using the Auger themselves.

And use grenades to thin out the ranks, like che mentioned.

jjasper

chespace said:
Also, don't be shy to use grenades and plenty of secondary fire to even the odds. It's a difficult game and I'm playing on Normal and having to restart at regular intervals. But the challenge doesn't feel cheap, which is a good thing.

I don't think the game can be beaten (well I am sure it can be but damn it would be next to impossible for me to do) without extensive use of both the grenades or the secondary fire

teiresias

I'll play the demo a bit more this week and make my decision. I'm not sure what weapons are in the demo, off the top of my head there is:

1) shotgun
2) the gun that lets you erect a shield
3) the gun that lets you tag enemies and then shoot homing bullets or whatever
4) something else, don't remember

Well, the fact that the demo didn't even put up a "here are what the buttons do" kind of screen before plopping you into a firefight also annoyed me and made me think, "they don't even want me to enjoy the demo do they?" Maybe they feel it's exciting or something, but I just found it more lazy then anything else.

After I stopped just running out into the middle of the firefight it got better and I found I was sort of approaching it like RE4 in a way - more spastic episodes followed by resting up somewhere and scoping the place. Didn't help me finish the level, but I think I just need to finally take the time to get myself used to playing these style games with a gamepad - it's about time I did I suppose instead of writing off the genre on consoles altogether.

In any case, I'll give it another week, but I may end up getting it anyway since my dad really wants to try it (though I don't think he's tried the demo yet).

M3Freak

Banned
teiresias said:
After I stopped just running out into the middle of the firefight it got better and I found I was sort of approaching it like RE4 in a way - more spastic episodes followed by resting up somewhere and scoping the place.

I had the same problem initially: I'd tear into every fire fight and get my ass handed to me. After a few crappy starts I slowed down and took my time. I also started to use the NPCs more. Here's what I've learned (not finished yet):

1. Use cover - a lot.
2. Use you grenades when the enemy start bunching up.
3. Try to snipe when you can - you can thin enemy ranks before getting close to them.
4. When you get the Bullseye, use it! Tag the enemy whenever you can.
5. Let the NPCs do as much of the dirty work as they can.
6. Sometimes it helps to have NPCs with you - don't let them all die (though they're not always with you).
7. If your reticle is flying all over the place, turn the sensitivity down. Mine is at 2.
8. Strafe, spin and dodge until you're dizzy.
9. Use all the weapons in your inventory. You will definitely need ever single one of them, though some more than others.
10. Consider customizing your controls. The default is good, but you may play better with controls built just for you.

That's pretty general I suppose. Hopefully it's helpful.

djkimothy

TONX said:
i need to see the flying wedge in action. anyone down to play tonight?

It was quite effective against most teams last night. Except that elite team during Breach that climbed walls and pulling off 1 hit kill headshots with bullseye and shotguns. o_O

It was a good ":lol " moment for us, next time I'll try the wall climbing thing see how I fare with it. :D

teiresias

M3Freak said:
10. Consider customizing your controls. The default is good, but you may play better with controls built just for you.

See, I'm hoping someone makes a FPS on the thing that uses the tilt functionality to control aiming of the crosshair. It seems to me like that should be pretty natural, but I haven't thought it through to know if it's actually feasible - would you need to "recalibrate" too often to find your center, that kind of thing - but assuming the sensitivity is right (it should be adjustable) I can't see how it can't be anything but better than trying to aim with an analog stick as a poor substitue for a mouse. Obviously, it's nothing like 1-to-1 aiming of a lightgun, but I'd think it would be an interesting mechanic to use in this genre.

SleazyC

patsu said:
Hey I missed that part. Which wall is that ? Was it in Somerset ?
It was in Nottingham right when you run up into either of the bases. The circular tunnels and the curved walls allow you to run up them to some degree.

djkimothy

SleazyC said:
It was in Nottingham right when you run up into either of the bases. The circular tunnels and the curved walls allow you to run up them to some degree.

It was funny. Someone on the mic was like "They're running on the walls!" I had a WTF moment when I saw it for myself. The comical up and down motion of the player I think distracted me which lead to my early demise. :lol

Kudos to the brave few who broke the ranks and managed to do some damage to their base. I thought we mae have gotten back into it after capturing alpha. But they were relentless.

Kittonwy

Banned
djkimothy said:
It was funny. Someone on the mic was like "They're running on the walls!" I had a WTF moment when I saw it for myself. The comical up and down motion of the player I think distracted me which lead to my early demise. :lol

Kudos to the brave few who broke the ranks and managed to do some damage to their base. I thought we mae have gotten back into it after capturing alpha. But they were relentless.

Alpha is critical (auger/laark), there's basically no point in trying to attack the enemy base without having captured and held alpha first, once they lost alpha they had to scale back their attack, capturing alpha and the nearest node to one's own base is a must, I thought we were a bit all over the place against that clan and trying to hard to just "rush the base" which doesn't work in Nottingham because now clans are getting smarter, they can withstand a big rush, especially given the narrow nature of the tunnels.
Indifferent2.gif

SleazyC

Kittonwy said:
Alpha is critical (auger/laark), there's basically no point in trying to attack the enemy base without having captured and held alpha first, once they lost alpha they had to scale back their attack, capturing alpha and the nearest node to one's own base is a must, I thought we were a bit all over the place against that clan and trying to hard to just "rush the base" which doesn't work in Nottingham because now clans are getting smarter, they can withstand a big rush, especially given the narrow nature of the tunnels.
Indifferent2.gif
It doesn't help that we were playing against a few WaR members and some other top clans. I personally like rushing in past everyone with an arc charger and getting in a few licks before I die.

djkimothy

SleazyC said:
It doesn't help that we were playing against a few WaR members and some other top clans. I personally like rushing in past everyone with an arc charger and getting in a few licks before I die.

I have still yet to master the arc charger. Is the gun that elite?

Kittonwy

Banned
SleazyC said:

It's awesome fun when it works. Those guys were not just good though, they were so disciplined, it seemed they placed more importance on keeping us from getting out than just getting their shots in.

I usually just take alpha first and hit the base from the tunnel. The problem with not having alpha is that the auger shields make it very difficult to clear the tunnels and they don't even have to make it all the way in because if they're smart they can just hit the reactor with the auger while the others trying to keep their auger wielders safe in the outer two-thirds of the tunnel, occasionally sneaking a couple of people in with grenades and potshots would be more than enough.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
djkimothy said:
I have still yet to master the arc charger. Is the gun that elite?

The problem I have is having to GET an arc charger when you know other people are also going for it and then make it all the way in the tunnel to use it without dying which is pretty difficult for me.

J-Rzez

Hey guys... I can't figure out why I keep getting feedback in my mic... I had an USB mic before hooked up and got that "echo", now I have a BT headset and get it still... what could be the issue? Last night I shut it off so you guys didn't have to deal with it, but I tried it again later on when it was just a couple of us and it didn't do it nearly as much...

What can I do to try and fix this?

M3Freak

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Hey guys... I can't figure out why I keep getting feedback in my mic... I had an USB mic before hooked up and got that "echo", now I have a BT headset and get it still... what could be the issue? Last night I shut it off so you guys didn't have to deal with it, but I tried it again later on when it was just a couple of us and it didn't do it nearly as much...

1. You probably don't need to set the mic any higher than 4. You can do it in the XMB, or within the game (under options).
2. Use a headset with a noise cancelling mic. It will cut out the majority, if not all, of the background noise. My USB headset has it (a must have since I need it for my software VoIP phone for work).
3. Don't breath so hard. If you can't help it, you need to exercise. :D
4. Maybe you're sitting to close to the speakers and the mic is picking up the sound. Turn them down.
5. If your mic is adjustable, try moving it a little further from your mouth.

That's all I can think of. One of those has got to work.

BTW, here's the headset I have: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=103,CONTENTID=10012

12520.jpg

Kittonwy

Banned
J-Rzez said:

It's fine because sometimes I like to hear what I sound like on someone else's headphones.
Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom