• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

teiresias

Well, I'm at work today when my dad calls me and says, "Just wanted to let you know I bought Resistance today, just so you don't go out and get it - in case you were planning on doing it." Ummm, ok.

In any case, as I suspected, he absolutely sucks at using the controller, but I'm not nearly as bad off because at least I've held a Dual Shock before and know the button layout.

In any case, been playing on Medium, and I'm just past where you escape the
conversion center
. The game is fun as hell, so now I'm left wondering why I was hesitating to buy it!!

Anyway, I guess I need to join the GAF clan, my name is Teiresias (yay for a name no one had claimed on PSN yet).

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
congrats on getting the game. pm kaching your ID and hope to see ya online some time. I might play a little later if any gaffers are down.

SleazyC

ghostmind said:
js - please tell us you guys are going to hook us up with some new 40p maps soon
I believe they will have some new maps by the Euro launch or shortly there after. Or I remember reading about it somewhere. Soon though.

tanod

when is my burrito
Don't know if Luke Smith ever intended this with the whole "sent to die" comment.
As I originally understood it, he was talking about Resistance being a launch title. But is it realistic to believe that if Insomniac keeps supporting the game with patches and some new content that it will have enough legs to "Kill" or at the very least take a lot of wind out of Killzone 2's sails.

First of all, I'm assuming KZ is coming out in 2007. I don't see as big of an issue if it comes out in 2008 unless Resistance 2 comes in Spring '08. From what I played of Killzone 1, I wasn't that impressed. Would Sony try and pull the plug on Resistance to get people to switch over to Killzone?

What are the full implications of Sony owning the IP for the Resistance series?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Killing Resistance would likely do their relationship with Insomniac no good and there's really no good reason for it anyway. There should be room enough for two FPS on the kind of platform userbase I'm sure Sony would like to see the PS3 acquire. It would also give each series breathing room to be developed with enough time to really flesh out each entry in the series adequately. Space them apart by at least 6 months and there really shouldn't be any problem.

looks like I'll be finally joining up with the Resistance brigade (after lurking in this thread for quite awhile...)

....placed an order today and should receive in a week :)

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
Don't know if Luke Smith ever intended this with the whole "sent to die" comment.
As I originally understood it, he was talking about Resistance being a launch title. But is it realistic to believe that if Insomniac keeps supporting the game with patches and some new content that it will have enough legs to "Kill" or at the very least take a lot of wind out of Killzone 2's sails.

First of all, I'm assuming KZ is coming out in 2007. I don't see as big of an issue if it comes out in 2008 unless Resistance 2 comes in Spring '08. From what I played of Killzone 1, I wasn't that impressed. Would Sony try and pull the plug on Resistance to get people to switch over to Killzone?

It makes more sense for Sony to keep Resistance going strong, since Sony owns both IPs, so to have Resistance have a strong and loyal following is beneficial to them, instead of banking on just Killzone 2, now they have a strong franchise in Resistance, both of which are SCEWW-published, in the long run they can have both being multi-game series, not to mention they can release downloadable content for Resistance for additional revenue. My guess is Resistance will have a lot of legs.
Indifferent2.gif

tanod said:

I think Sony obviously knows the FPS market on PS3 is big enough for more than one game. Don't forget, they've also got SOCOM in the mix as well.

FPS is just a genre. Sony should care more about capturing as many fans of that genre on PS3 as they can with quality and diversity, and not worry about faint overlap. Sure, some gamers might only play one FPS, but if you have a lot of diversity in your FPS lineup, you have a better chance of getting that player on your system. Other players might be FPS addicts, and play every FPS they can get their hands on. Having one more high quality exclusive FPS franchise like Resistance can only help in the goal to snag this consumer as well.

Resistance is an all-new, exclusive franchise with a ton of upside now and in the future. SCEWW would be really stupid to sabotage it.

Besides, I don't really agree with the Luke Smith assessment at all. Sony has pushed Resistance, and continues to do so. I'm still seeing the PS3 "White Room" commercials featuring Resistance on TV. I don't recall seeing the same advertising support for any other individual PS3 title. Every other launch title just gets a second or two in a montage commercial. I also got a very slick promo portfolio in the mail for the game. Buying TV advertising for almost three months straight and mailing out slick promo materials to push a game is a funny thing to do if you are sending a title out to die.

To me, Luke Smith's "sent to die" question was more about Luke putting himself in the limelight for "asking the tough questions" that the 1Up show could put dramatic background music behind than Luke showing he has any real grasp of the reality of Sony's marketing and support of the game.

Wollan

Three big competitive shooter games on the platform will be very hectic for Sony to manage.
But as I personally see it the games seem to cover three different aspects of the genre:

Resistance: Twitch and really fast, jumping, trampolines, crazy weapons, aliens & racial abilities.

Killzone: Slower paced with no jumping, tactical sprint and the ability to leap over objects, weapons with heavy fire power.

Socom: Realistic & tactical shooter with modern day equipment (mines, ropes) and situations, just a few bullets is enough to drop someone.

Socom is a multiplayer game. No one cares about the single player in SOCOM. Comparing SOCOM with Killzone or Resistance would be like comparing Halo with Battlefield 1942.

Wollan

Doom_Bringer said:
Socom is a multiplayer game. No one cares about the single player in SOCOM. Comparing SOCOM with Killzone or Resistance would be like comparing Halo with Battlefield 1942.

But it's the online mode of Halo 2 (& 3) that will be focused on when all is done.

methane47

Wollan said:
Socom: Realistic & tactical shooter with modern day equipment (mines, ropes) and situations, just a few bullets is enough to drop someone.

Yeah offline a few bullets is all it takes... But once you get online sometimes it seems like it takes At LEAST 2 magazines Emptied into someone's HEAD to kill them... And then as you are moving away from where you killed the guy... Suddenly you will die too.... apparently from his homing bullets that just took a while to get back to you..

sigh... But i still love it.

bigswords

I was really surprised by Resistance, so far the single player is so-so (I am at the tunnel area) but I am amazed at the smoothness of the game, even when enemies are pouring at you.

But what got me was the multiplayer, it was absolutely smooth....dedicated servers ftw!!! And for the first time I dont have to hear drunk / drugged ppl singing on the headset!!!!

It's really awesome, but I gotta to ask this question do you only "lvl" up in rank games? Can unranked games "lvl" you up still?

Wollan

bigswords said:
It's really awesome, but I gotta to ask this question do you only "lvl" up in rank games? Can unranked games "lvl" you up still?

You get xp from unranked games as well but far far less.

lunlunqq

bigswords said:
I was really surprised by Resistance, so far the single player is so-so (I am at the tunnel area) but I am amazed at the smoothness of the game, even when enemies are pouring at you.

But what got me was the multiplayer, it was absolutely smooth....dedicated servers ftw!!! And for the first time I dont have to hear drunk / drugged ppl singing on the headset!!!!

you do gain exp in customized games, but ranked game would give you more exp per game.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Wollan said:
You get xp from unranked games as well but far far less.

Sort of. Jstevenson said there's a glitch where you need to stay in the same unranked game for 30 minutes to get XP. I had over 10000 unranked kills and my XP barely moved because I bounced from game to game. Apparently they are working on a remedy.

Beatbox

Doom_Bringer said:

Pretty much. I have played 100+ hours of Socom online, a few hundred hours of Socom 2 online, and about 20 hours of Socom 3 online.

I haven't tried single player on any of them :lol

Kittonwy

Banned
bigswords said:

I guess you missed my singing of badboys on one of those nights. It's true.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
Three big competitive shooter games on the platform will be very hectic for Sony to manage.
But as I personally see it the games seem to cover three different aspects of the genre:

Resistance: Twitch and really fast, jumping, trampolines, crazy weapons, aliens & racial abilities.

Killzone: Slower paced with no jumping, tactical sprint and the ability to leap over objects, weapons with heavy fire power.

Humans can't aim while running? Chimera can't run forever without losing health?

thatsracist4neug2.gif

Indifferent2.gif

bigswords

Beatbox said:
Sort of. Jstevenson said there's a glitch where you need to stay in the same unranked game for 30 minutes to get XP. I had over 10000 unranked kills and my XP barely moved because I bounced from game to game. Apparently they are working on a remedy.

Crap...ohh my, thanks for the heads up is this info in the myresistance.net forums?

bigswords

Kittonwy said:
I guess you missed my singing of badboys on one of those nights. It's true.
Indifferent2.gif

Well sometimes I guess, but after thinking about my experiences with Gears of War online with a 12 year old boy singing Britney spears...ohh my the pain the pain!!!:lol

Wollan

They were testing a fix though to the problem as it was server side only. This was last week so I have no idea if the problem still exist or not.

Beatbox

bigswords said:
Crap...ohh my, thanks for the heads up is this info in the myresistance.net forums?

Not sure if that info is posted over there - I haven't done much forum sifting there.

Here's Jstevenson's post on it - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5509763&postcount=3938

I couldn't figure out why my friend was 7 ranks above me and I had more kills, wins, etc then him both ranked and unranked. Looks like that's the reason - he stays in the same unranked games for a few rounds or more. I would play one or two quick games and then find another game and so forth.

bigswords

Beatbox said:
Here's Jstevenson's post on it - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5509763&postcount=3938

I couldn't figure out why my friend was 7 ranks above me and I had more kills, wins, etc then him both ranked and unranked. Looks like that's the reason - he stays in the same unranked games for a few rounds or more. I would play one or two quick games and then find another game and so forth.

Damn I do hope they refund you the xp for those kills you did.

Beatbox

bigswords said:
Damn I do hope they refund you the xp for those kills you did.

:lol While that would be nice, it's no big deal. I had sooooo much fun getting those 10000 kills that it doesn't really matter. Plus, playing ranked games with the GAF clan has helped me catch up for the missed XP. Thanks fellas :D

bigswords

Beatbox said:
:lol While that would be nice, it's no big deal. I had sooooo much fun getting those 10000 kills that it doesn't really matter. Plus, playing ranked games with the GAF clan has helped me catch up for the missed XP. Thanks fellas :D

Wish I could join u guys , but I'm on the Asian server. A mod in myresistance.net said that the devs are looking at international servers (for inter region) soon (due to low pop in the Asian servers).

teiresias

So I've played up until the scenario called "No Way Out" and the game is really starting to get tough. Up until about the middle of Notingham it was a bit easy, but the firefights they throw you into at this point are pretty damn overwhelming, IMO - granted I suck at FPS, but still.

J-Rzez

Wollan said:
PSN/PS3 to save Socom. ;)

Oh man... I get the willies thinking about it! I wasted many of hours on that series (minus combined assault)... But the lag at times was terrible... When the game ran the way it should, oh, so so good... I like the realism to it, when it's running properly...

There was always complaints about, I shot him so many times, and he turns and kills me then... but it was because of the BS lag in the game that was terrible sometimes... And I think people don't realize that you can put the reticle over someone's head and fireaway, but if you're moving, or the accuracy is low, it's spray and pray...

..and I think I like the Socom series more because I suck less at them... I tend to suck at twitch/quick shooters...

But I do love Resistance though, it's just fun to play... I'll still play this when a new Socom and H3 comes out...

(mmmm, Socom with dedicated servers... and the devs said they have big plans for the PS3 last they spoke, like almost 2 years ago, heh)

f@luS

More than a member.
HELP ME GETTING BETTER

god damnit.

Im getting owned every 1V1 when the fight is between 1 and 30feets.

I cant aim the guy , hes moving too fast and argh im getting very frustrated.

Some pple headshoot me like theyre playing with a mouse.
Some even are bunny jumping while firing at me.

Whats ure setting?(sensivity , controls buttons)

thx

patsu

f@luS said:
HELP ME GETTING BETTER

god damnit.

Im getting owned every 1V1 when the fight is between 1 and 30feets.

I cant aim the guy , hes moving too fast and argh im getting very frustrated.

Some pple headshoot me like theyre playing with a mouse.
Some even are bunny jumping while firing at me.

Whats ure setting?(sensivity , controls buttons)

thx

I am still learning too. The following are some tips I try to use myself. I use default settings.

(1) Engage L2 and strafe. You should be able to move as fast as your opponent.

(2) Don't jam your fingers. Relax a little more so you can adjust your aiming faster when you aim cannot catch up with his movement.

(3) Aim higher (at the head).

(4) Use the right weapon. Kill shotgun and arc-charger wielded opponents from far.

(5) Practice. Play enough time and you will develop a feel for it.

Kittonwy

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
ANyone playing tonight? MrBob and I are thinking of jumping on.

Tried to get on but can't seem to be able to, maybe it's because the servers are slow right now for some reason or the fact that god hates me with a passion.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Tried to get on but can't seem to be able to, maybe it's because the servers are slow right now for some reason or the fact that god hates me with a passion.
Indifferent2.gif

I can't login either! If I actually manage to get into the lobby, it eventually disconnects! POS! Damn...I really wanted to play tonight.

I can't login into PSN reliably either. Time outs, disconnects...overall, PSN is running SUPER ASS SLOWWWWWWWWWWW. I think Sony has had a server meltdown in Canada.

Aeon712

No wonder it was such a small party(only 3 of us), things started out bad for us but the last 4rds we completely dominated. It was weird though as we were the one's going against big clans.

patsu

Hmm... because I left my PS3 in the CLAN screen, I can see you guys come and go. I now feel like a NPC in Resistance.

Sorry I couldn't join you guys too (I received the Party Invites). There was another small GAF group in the afternoon with people I have not played with yet. My kid was running circles around me. So I could only play short sessions when he went to his mom.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, yesterday... he's like a little Arc-charger Chimera on rage mode strafing around me.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
patsu said:
Hmm... because I left my PS3 in the CLAN screen, I can see you guys come and go. I now feel like a NPC in Resistance.
Yeah I saw you in the lobby for quite a while, I thought you may have fell asleep or something. :p

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Bad_Boy said:
Yeah I saw you in the lobby for quite a while, I thought you may have fell asleep or something. :p

We on for tonight? Plus, maybe we can get some NC folks together somewhere and play (Resistance, Motorstorm, F1, or maybe a VF5 tourney).

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
DenogginizerOS said:
We on for tonight? Plus, maybe we can get some NC folks together somewhere and play (Resistance, Motorstorm, F1, or maybe a VF5 tourney).
I'll probably play tonight, I played real late last night around 1-2am so I'll try to make up for it today.

Dunno about a NC meetup, how many ps3 owners in the area on gaf? I thought it was just like 3 of us. lol But I'm always down for some online. :)

Top Bottom