• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Big-E said:
I am pretty sure MyResistance is pretty instant with the stat updating.

Edit: I forgot. Streaks don't count in Meltdown or Breach.

Really? I got a 7 Kill Ribbon for it...

We played a lot of deathmatches and small map meltdowns tonight. Fun. I got four really cool multi-kill streaks.

SleazyC said:
I don't think you can get the 20 kill ribbon in Breach or Meltdown but you can get 3 kill and 7 kills.

Unless I fool the other team into thinking my LAARK is a camera and I want to take their team photo, I don't think I'll ever have to worry about a 20-Kill Streak Ribbon, Sleazy.

Kittonwy

Banned
I AM TEH TOOL OF DESTRUCTION RAWR.
Indifferent2.gif

^^ I couldn't believe it worked and three people on the other side quit because of it.
KlintIndifference.gif

Aeon712

Big-E said:
Today was upsetting. Lagers, invincible people, rocket campers and being outnumbered a lot.
Yes, freaking Laark was really ticking me off, even that game we were outnumbered 10-6 they camped the laark. The first game we played was awesome though with us all trapped in the center area of somerset I think it was.

Big-E

Aeon712 said:
Yes, freaking Laark was really ticking me off, even that game we were outnumbered 10-6 they camped the laark. The first game we played was awesome though with us all trapped in the center area of somerset I think it was.

Ya that was the best match of the night.

So WOW

....been playin through the SP Campaign right now and I'm loving every minute of it. I'm in Manchester right now and am just floored the whole way through.
The game has absolutely terrific pacing (reminded of HL2). The AI for the Chimera is also spot the fvck on! From how they'll flank you to how they will hang back and won't rush you unless its an act of desperation! On normal, the title is a consistent challenge and never a bore...

I'm also really into the narrative as well and I think they sell just enough of it to keep it compelling (...also like HL2)

From a technical standpoint, THIS is the title to follow for future Playstation 3 titles IMO. It really is a marvel on soooo many levels! Its also a testament to just how far strong Art Direction can really go in a game...
I really do agree with what Shane from EGM said about how PS3 games (at least 1st party ones) have this "look" to them that I really am in love with at this point :)

Hope this franchise is here to stay and Viva la Resistance!!!

JB1981

It only gets better. ;)

Pretty amazing that the best next-gen FPS around is on a Sony console. Resistance 2 is going to be a monster.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Pretty amazing that the best next-gen FPS around is on a Sony console. Resistance 2 is going to be a monster.

Please, it's hardly the best next gen fps, you state it like it's a fact and clearly it is not.
Its a decent game for sure, close with many others like rainbow six vegas, fear, COD in the 8 - 8.5 range. It was missing something that kept it from being a true AAA must have game.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
dvdvideo said:
Please, it's hardly the best next gen fps, you state it like it's a fact and clearly it is not.
Its a decent game for sure, close with many others like rainbow six vegas, fear, COD[ in the 8 - 8.5 range. It was missing something that kept it from being a true AAA must have game.

k..................................

so which "next gen fps" is the "best" right now then?

I'm back (Click), bitches! :D
Back from being banned for about a month for calling Wiitards "Wiitard." :lol

Anyway, I can finally respond to people here who were mentioning me in their posts....

Woo-Fu said:
Anyways, I was just chiming in to ask people how much longevity Resistance is having, and to find out how the online community around the game is changing over time? I'm looking forward to playing it myself and don't want to miss the window of viability, if it is has one like other online console games have had.

A lot of the "veterans" that played since PS3/Resistance launch have either stopped playing or are starting to stop playing. But that's because they play Resistance every chance they get, which is like everyday, many hours each day...

But if you play Resistance online in intervals like only during GAF clan nights and maybe some practice sessions, you won't get tired of Resistance for quite a long time. I have played since 1 week after launch and I'm still not sick of Resistance. Granted, I don't play much anymore recently (due to school and work), but I've put in a lot of hours already.

Pristine covered the community portion of your question, so I'll just leave it at that. As to the "window of viability," it's not too late to start. This game is still quite new. However, you'll need to catch up rather fast because a lot of people are already very talented and used to the maps, weapons, aiming, etc. Insomniac did make this game more newbie friendly with their patch (which the "vets" complained about to no end). So if you're usually good at online shooting games, you should get used to Resistance within a week of straight playing.

SleazyC said:
I don't think you can get the 20 kill ribbon in Breach or Meltdown but you can get 3 kill and 7 kills.

You can't get the 20 Kill MEDAL in Breach and Meltdown games, only Team Deathmatch and Free For All Deathmatch games. But you can get 3/7 Kill RIBBONS, like you said.

patsu

Aeon712 said:
Opposite happened to me last night, during that mixed game our team couldn't tell friend from foe unless we were close enough to get the target to turn red. I actually went running with a chimera thinking we were gonna wedge tell he turned and shot me:lol.

Heh heh... Wedging with the enemy huh ? That's a bad idea. It's worse for me coz I'm partial colorblind. So it's hard for me to tell some colors (especially red vs green).

Big-E said:
Today was upsetting. Lagers, invincible people, rocket campers and being outnumbered a lot.

I hate the getting outnumbered part. I was wondering if the match is based on Kill/Death ratio ? So if sticking with GAF causes my Kill Death to go beyond my level, then I can get matched to monsters.

dvdvideo said:
Its a decent game for sure, close with many others like rainbow six vegas, fear, COD in the 8 - 8.5 range. It was missing something that kept it from being a true AAA must have game.

It has this Halo 1 vibe for me though. They need to enforce China's 3-hour play limit on me for this game. I can't really will myself to stop sometimes.

JB1981

dvdvideo said:

Does every statement of opinion have to be qualified with "imo" for people who read GAF? I personally feel that Resistance is vastly superior to every other FPS released in this young new generation. It has the deepest story, the most creative weapons, the most replay value, and by far, the deepest and most impressive online feature set. Go ahead and disagree. In the now-famous words of Phil Harrison, "I could hardly care less."

sorry I bailed out early tonight, boys.

I've been sucking ass online recently. I made the mistake of being in a Manchester 40pl Unranked Team Deathmatch game with *sigh* infinite ammo and all weapons. You know what that means: LAARKs nonstop.

Cheapest shit ever when people just camp and launch rocket after rocket after rocket. It was fun when no one knew about the secondary function of it, but now everyone does... and I was literally getting killed every minute by either being hit with a blast or the mini-rockets and, again, this was the damn big 40pl map! #_#

Pretty crappy when these cheap ****ers can get 70 kills a match by just sitting in some 3rd floor building shooting non-stop rockets.

It put me in a god awful mood and I just didn't feel like playing much after that.

I don't mind infinite ammo matches, but LAARKs and definitely Air Fuel Grenades have to be turned off. Argh...

Also, I've noticed A LOT more ****ing retards playing these days. I mean, dumbasses that are on your team standing directly in front of you while you are trying to snipe, doing the gun-barrel hit over and over and twirling in circles... or my personal favorite: standing next to you throwing air fuel's at your feet for no reason. I can understand them 'giving you a sign' (like "hey, I was covering this location first" or "bad guys are coming, get ready!") but 9 out of 10 times there's no reason. I even had one dipshit tonight following various people around shooting his Arc Charger at them nonstop.
I guess the pureness and decency of the first two months of the PS3 are long gone now... -_-

One of the big reasons I haven't gotten a headset yet is because I don't even want to deal with being called (or hearing other people being called) a "f**got" or "n**ger" or a combination of both by some douchebag 14 year old like I encountered in Halo before. It ruined that experience for me and I don't want that shit to ruin Resistance any more than some people already are. [/bitching]

*edited as to not offend (thanks Click/Cracker :))

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i was in 3rd place in a deathmatch and right at the end, when someone was about to win (two people were 1 kill away, i was 2) i blew 2 people up with a rocket launcher and won

i pointed at the screen and laughed saying "haha ****ers!! yeahhh bitch!"

that was the first deathmatch i've ever won.

First off, Jolly... try not to ever play Custom games. If you do, play the games that DON'T have infinite ammo and/or 1 hit kill. They're very rare these days because for some unknown reason, people have no clue how to make good Custom games, but yet people still play them. If you do decide to play a brainless game of infinite ammo and/or 1 hit kill, make sure you get out once you've had your fun or if you get sick of it. Get in, get out asap. These games will kill any skill you've developed playing Ranked games.

Second, a lot of kids have now saved up money to get PS3. And a lot more people in general have one. So the "hardcore," early adopters are now replaced with spoiled kiddies that shouldn't be playing a M rated game like Resistance. So just deal with it. This happens in all online games. Some more/faster than others. I don't think it's gotten THAT bad, but yes, there are more and more annoying players online these days. Oh well...

Third, you shouldn't use derogatory terms, even if you're only describing what idiots in Halo say. I'm not gay nor black, but I'm sure people reading this thread wouldn't appreciate you saying those things if it applies to them.

Here are some hints that'll hopefully help you and other GAFers who feel they need some help upping their skills. I first posted this on MyResistance (so it's a copy/paste), helping out a newbie. But this should help GAFers as well...

Ordered from what I consider most important to less important:

1. Learn how to strafe: This means moving your left analog stick left and right really quick when in a firefight to dodge bullets. But don't forget to aim with right analog stick while strafing. Knowing how to strafe extremely well is the key in being a top player. Learning how to dodge your opponent's fire is hard and takes tons of practice. But if you can learn to do it well, you'll do better than 70% of the players in any shooting game.

2. Aim for the head: This is quite obvious but a lot of newbies/n00bs just can't hit the head. There is a certain plane you have to aim at to get headshots. This changes of course as the terrain you and your enemy is standing on changes. Learn to lock onto the head and you'll kill people with ease.

3. Learn the maps: This take a lot of time and practice as well. You also need a good memory. But a good way to learn maps is to do it in offline multiplayer mode. Nobody will be shooting at you (unless you play with friends) so you can take your time to study how the maps are set up and what weapons spawn where and how long it takes for them to respawn.

4. Understand what weapons are good for certain situations and who to use it against: Everyone already knows that the rocket launcher and shotgun are the most powerful weapons. But there's a time and place to use them. There's also a method to using even the "n00b guns," well. Learn what weapons should be used for close range, middle range, and long range fighting.

5. Watch what other players do and try to learn from them: From both their mistakes and skills. Emulating good players and making their tactics part of your arsenal is a good way to improve yourself. If you constantly make the same mistakes over and over, figure out a way to improve yourself or you'll just keep screwing up the same way.

6. Learn how and when to use sprint and Rage mode, as well as your radar (when playing as human): Always sprinting or Raging is stupid. But not doing so when you should is also stupid. The radar is really important, so always check it when you can. It's good for many things, not just for knowing where your enemy is. Just keep in mind, people only show up on the radar if they're sprinting, Raging, jumping, or shooting. So if they're camping and you run by, they won't show up on radar until they shoot/run at you.

7. Finally... don't be afraid to die if you want to get lots of kills: But this only applies if you want to be on top of the list in matches. And it applies more to FFA games than it does to team games. A lot of people are scared and try to camp out. While camping/ambushing works at times, the rushers are usually the ones who climb to the top because they constantly seek out people to kill. When in "seek and destroy mode," adrenaline tends to pump more, focus is usually higher, response time is faster, and you usually get the upper hand when it's 1v1. This is also a good way to run into firefights and "steal kills..." shooting people who are already injured and have a lower life bar than you. I don't like doing it much myself, but everyone does it. So take advantage when you can.

TheJollyCorner said:
thanks for all that, man.

It would be awesome to get Crawlers in multiplayer one day. :D

No problem, but umm, just fyi....

Crawlers are MyResistance (Jstevenson)'s way of awarding good threads/posts (mostly threads). Crawlers are given out to posters that make guides and threads people like and nominate. Then JS and other admins. give them out depending on if they feel the poster deserves it.

Jstevenson's explaination here: http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=9855.msg133761#msg133761

M3Freak

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
I'm looking for some folks to play with, invite me anytime!

PSN= g35twinturbo

If you want to join the clan, PM kaching your details.

Now: how the hell did Crackerman get banned again?!

SleazyC

Crackerman16 said:
1. Learn how to strafe:
Cannot state this enough. Strafing is basically do or die in this game. I've encountered many times where I had one bar of health and was able to take someone down that was at full health just because I was straffing and they couldn't hit me enough. One other "desperation" move I also found that works well is jumping up when you are shooting. Sometimes you'll get lucky and register a headshot. Funny when you are getting killed from behind and you turn around and jump + shoot right as you are dying and pull a headshot off.

2. Aim for the head:
Primarily I aim for the body but lately have been trying to move the reticle up as I am spraying. I don't think beginners should really try this from the get go, just try to get used to the weapons, strafing and so on and then move on. People in the clan that do this very well are Johnny Reznik and lunlunqq. They both have gobs of headshots and can generally aim very well.

4. Understand what weapons are good for certain situations and who to use it against:
Bullseye = automatic shotgun at mid to close range. I use the Bullseye too much actually. To me it is the most versatile weapon in the game. Its accuracy is horrible at long range but if you tag people its almost like an automatic sniper rifle. <3 Bullseye

6. Learn how and when to use sprint and Rage mode, as well as your radar (when playing as human):
I'm pretty bad at this to tell you the truth. Especially with Rage mode. I run into a lot of battles at half health because I forget to click off Rage mode but it certainly is a killer and makes Chimera much more powerful then humans.

Safe Bet

Banned
Big-E said:
QFT

It wasn't so bad as to make the game unplayable but it was bad enough to make it unenoyable...

Hopefully Insomniac is swatting the "griefers" as quick as the pop up.

I wasn't too upset about the laggy game because it does happen sometimes, but that "invincible guy" was just too much...

Also...

I know its a part of the game's design, but I'll be damned if I don't hate it when the other teams forces you to camp the LAARK spawns because they're killing you with them every third step you take.

tanod

when is my burrito
I'd like to add a few tips that I use that seem to work for me:

1) When in a firefight, don't back away while shooting. Charge your opponent, but do not make a b-line directly towards him. You should be a couple feet from his shoulders.
Do NOT do this if your opponent has a shotgun or a LAARK.

This is great for avoiding being picked off by a grenade in a firefight and if you get really close, most people have a really hard time aiming, which brings me to another point.

2) Learn how to aim up close and know when it's appropriate to use Melee
Practice makes perfect.

3) If you're human, always use your grenades.
It seems to be the one thing that people forget that is an important part of the balance between the two races.

Finally, and this is mainly directed at brand new people since if you play long enough, you'd get this.
4) RELOAD

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Crackerman16 said:
No problem, but umm, just fyi....

Crawlers are MyResistance (Jstevenson)'s way of awarding good threads/posts (mostly threads). Crawlers are given out to posters that make guides and threads people like and nominate. Then JS and other admins. give them out depending on if they feel the poster deserves it.

Jstevenson's explaination here: http://www.myresistance.net/smf/index.php?topic=9855.msg133761#msg133761

And there are some sweet prizes coming down the line for people with crawlers.

We'll be offering more crawlers to great replies and overall solid posters as time goes on, the system is still very much in its infancy, but it's spawned some awesome results already in terms of great guides and stuff.

JS

The Jer

TheJollyCorner said:
Crackerman was banned because he was challenging (I guess?) mods in the "Team XBox hates us" thread. @_@

"hanging out" in the Wii Lineup thread and making similar comments to the ones that got him banned the first time probably didn't help either.

Oh well, we'll see him online in Resistance I'm sure.

Mrbob

I'll try to make the games this weekend. 6PM PST on Sat and Sun right?

I live in the midwest and we are about to get blasted with about a foot or more snow sat and sunday so it seems like a good time to stay in and play some resistance.

Kittonwy

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'll try to make the games this weekend. 6PM PST on Sat and Sun right?

I live in the midwest and we are about to get blasted with about a foot or more snow sat and sunday so it seems like a good time to stay in and play some resistance.

Yes.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Good ole Crackerman, I nearly had to ban him from MyRes for trolling (but since he was trolling one of the most-hated forum members, I managed to let it slide).

I will try to get on this weekend, but Sunday is the Oscars and I make no promises about my whereabouts on a Saturday night.

JS

so been playin some more. I think the only criticism I have at this point is how the aiming axis is horizontally tuned, and not so much vertically =(

Aeon712

So I turn my system on hoping to find some fellow gaffers on Resistance and on sign in am met with (AgentX-Q-bert, JJasper-VF5, Kittonwy-Flow, lunlunqq-VF5, Sky2k-VF5). Guess I'll use this time to download Flow :(.

SleazyC

tanod said:
1) When in a firefight, don't back away while shooting. Charge your opponent, but do not make a b-line directly towards him. You should be a couple feet from his shoulders.
Do NOT do this if your opponent has a shotgun or a LAARK.
Really depends on how much ground you can cover before the other person can fire off the LAARK. Some people will get a bit scared about blowing themselves up along with you so you can make them hesitate and all it takes is that split second to let you light them up.

But yea rushing into a shotgun hurts.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
AgentOtaku said:
so been playin some more. I think the only criticism I have at this point is how the aiming axis is horizontally tuned, and not so much vertically =(

Have you tried adjusting the look sensitivity to suit your needs?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Ranked Game Changes:

We’ve made some exciting changes to ranked games to give players more control and increase variety:

- Added a Team Deathmatch-only match type
- Added a Team Objective match type. This match type includes Breach, Meltdown and Capture the Flag
- Added Chimera-only Deathmatch to Free-For-All, and Chimera vs. Chimera, and Human vs. Human team games
- Team-Based match type has been retired

In addition, even though Team-Based games have been retired, your overall ranked stats will still reflect your past achievements in this match type and you will still be able to view them under your account at http://www.myresistance.net.

Ranked games will continue to evolve as we at Insomniac Games are constantly looking for new ways to keep the game fresh and fun for everyone. We're always seeking player feedback and regularly review comments, so please keep sending them. We look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

The Jer

jstevenson said:
Ranked Game Changes:

We’ve made some exciting changes to ranked games to give players more control and increase variety:

- Added a Team Deathmatch-only match type
- Added a Team Objective match type. This match type includes Breach, Meltdown and Capture the Flag
- Added Chimera-only Deathmatch to Free-For-All, and Chimera vs. Chimera, and Human vs. Human team games
- Team-Based match type has been retired

In addition, even though Team-Based games have been retired, your overall ranked stats will still reflect your past achievements in this match type and you will still be able to view them under your account at http://www.myresistance.net.

Ranked games will continue to evolve as we at Insomniac Games are constantly looking for new ways to keep the game fresh and fun for everyone. We're always seeking player feedback and regularly review comments, so please keep sending them. We look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

Very nice.

Top Bottom