• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

tanod

when is my burrito
M3Freak said:
I'm way past Manchester, but now I can't remember what the hell the level was like. What happened during that part of the game?!

That's the level where there a bunch of soldiers at the beginning and there are just swarms and swarms of Chimera coming at you as you work your way down a hill. It has mortar fire going off and bombed out buildings everywhere. :)

My "OMFG, this is awesome" moment happened in Grimsby/Conversion Center level when I learned how to use the Bullseye.

Kittonwy

Banned
tanod said:
That's the level where there a bunch of soldiers at the beginning and there are just swarms and swarms of Chimera coming at you as you work your way down a hill. It has mortar fire going off and bombed out buildings everywhere. :)

My "OMFG, this is awesome" moment happened in Grimsby/Conversion Center level when I learned how to use the Bullseye.

I like the Tower Bridge level the best I think. Although the final tower itself is probably the most intense because those advanced hybrids kept pinning me down and trying to flank me at the same time. In superhuman I counted EIGHT FREAKIN' ADVANCED ON THE SAME RUSH, crazy, just crazy.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Remy said:
How far are you in campaign mode?

Nearly everyone who's raved about the game fully admits that the single player is dull until you hit Manchester, at which point it punches you in the face with fists of awesome repeatedly.

That's the most apt description I've ever seen. Jeebus you've hit the nail on the head.
Indifferent2.gif

Aeon712

tanod said:

:lol, My friend said that out loud during our co-op game at that part.

patsu

My "may-be-this-is-different-afterall" moment came when I hopped into the Chimeran tunnel. The path twisted and turned so much as I jumped down that I forgot which side is up. And the graphics look much more organic and colorful.

M3Freak

Banned
tanod said:

Is that the level where tons of crawlers or leapers or whatever they're called, come over houses and up a hill at you? The same level where you meet for the time the Howlers?

If that's the level you're talking about, then I agree. That was my "holy shit" moment of the game; specifically when the level first started out Mortars everywhere, Chimera running around shooting at you and the troops, lots of troops shooting back, the explosions, yelling, screaming and firing. Never played or seen a game with that much intensity before.

M3Freak

Banned
The Jer said:
My friend as well.

He was like, "There's just so many of everything!!! It's like a freakin' war!"

Although my friend and I haven't gotten very far on the co-op mode (hard to get together), he was loving the little bit of the game he's played so far. His exact words were "this is wicked, man".

Really makes me wonder why R:FoM hasn't been loved by the media as mush as it has been here. I wonder how many of them are now on Sony's "don't finish games before review written" list.

jjasper

AgentOtaku said:
....jesus tap-dancing christ is this game getting difficult!

I'm at the London Train Station right now and between the alien weapons that melt through your flesh with ease and the checkpoints that seem to be 10 minutes apart on average, this title is really giving my dexterity a workout!

Did anyone else find it hard towards the end?

Yeah I found that hard pretty hard but you are almost to my favorite part of the game. The game from that point on is 100% pure awesomeness

teiresias

Does anyone have any pointers on what I'm guessing is the last section of the game:
"Last Chance," where you're spotted on the tower by the helicopter and then the Angel takes it down.
I'm getting absolutely massacered here between the
Angel and the guys on the catwalks

JB1981

teiresias said:
Does anyone have any pointers on what I'm guessing is the last section of the game:
"Last Chance," where you're spotted on the tower by the helicopter and then the Angel takes it down.

Extensive use of the sniper and clean shots with the Laark. I beat the game a while ago, so I can't quite remember what else I did to beat that part. The Angels should go down pretty quickly after a few direct sniper hits and a Laark shot, though.

JB1981

rod said:
ok so after a few hours with resistance's campaign mode ive decided this game is shit.

i cant quite put my finger on it, but its very boring and linear. the story is uninteresting, although i like the chimera as the enemy design.

i know its blasphemous to knock this game, seeing as how its the holy grail of ps3 launch games, but im just not feelin it. il try online over the weekend, but i think im just about finished with the campaign mode.

The game is a slow burn.

I would compare its pace to Metal Gear Solid 3 actually. It builds in intensity the further along you get. I wouldn't walk away from it so fast. You'll be missing out. What the hell else you gonna play on your PS3? ;)

jjasper

JB1981 said:
Extensive use of the sniper and clean shots with the Laark. I beat the game a while ago, so I can't quite remember what else I did to beat that part. The Angels should go down pretty quickly after a few direct sniper hits and a Laark shot, though.

Yeah that is probably the best tactic, also as always you can tag the angels and then just shoot and conentrate on avoiding enemy fire.

M3Freak said:
NM. I'll put them up at photobucket.com. I created an account, but they're doing server maintainence. I can't do any uploading until they're done.

Someone rehost the pictures!!! I haven't seen them yet. ;)

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
teiresias said:

It seems the bullseye equipped Chimera do the most damage - I always snipe the guys on the catwalk using the secondary fire to slow down and get easy headshots. Basically ignoring the Angel until I have taken out all the guys up top. It should then be pretty easy to use whatever you want on the Angel, I usually tag then with a bullseye and unload on them.

patsu

teiresias said:

Yes I remember that part. It's one of the segments I fear most in higher difficulty settings.

There are 6 health serums (3 where you started, and 3 more at the other end of the circular path). Also plenty of LAARK rounds.

I got rid of the soldiers first using FarEye ALT-fire (3 of them at least who have a clear shot at you, and then 1-2 more further down the path). They usually come out after the first Angel got hit by a LAARK.

Aeon712

teiresias said:
That part almost made me throw my controller before I remembered it would cost me 50$ to replace:lol. I remembered doing that part like 5 times looking for some kind of cover to hide behind, but the cover never came :(.

garrickk

teiresias said:
I would stay close to the beginning, give the first Angel a quick Lark round, Fareye two Hybrids on the catwalks, and repeat. If you don't rush in too far, I don't think both Angels become active immediately. I beat the game on Hard and Superhuman, and got killed badly in other areas of the game, but not here. People have different tough spots.

garrickk

Aeon712 said:
That part almost made me throw my controller before I remembered it would cost me 50$ to replace:lol. I remembered doing that part like 5 times looking for some kind of cover to hide behind, but the cover never came :(.
There is a small piece of cover right near the opening if I remember correctly.

Edit: Oh, don't waste any ammo on the
Angel while it's attacking the helicopter thing. During canned animations, I think creatures are invulnerable in the game. Wait until it goes into attack mode on you, but you can plant a Bullseye tag on it and wait to unload a clip quickly afterwards. Then Lark, Fareye, repeat.

M3Freak

Banned
Here's a shot of the party lobby room.
IMG_4827.jpg

Trying to get the clan and the background in one shot: I failed.
IMG_4829.jpg

Same deal, but a little better.
IMG_4833.jpg

Best one of the night. But, a couple of guys got blocked, and I didn't notice. Sorry!
IMG_4840.jpg

Waiting for Click to take his pictures. Also anticpating being destroyed. Laark ready.
IMG_4843.jpg

Click murders his fellow warriors.
IMG_4845.jpg

In a blind rage, I try to take out Click.
IMG_4846.jpg

Whoops. Ummm, it's Kittonwy's fault.
IMG_4847.jpg

Mercy killed the injured. Yeah, that's the ticket.
IMG_4848.jpg

I'm not sure I'll be able to pull off a good picture on Sunday. I'm hoping for the best.

So, any word if other R:FoM clans are copying us? You know, because we're so cool and all. Word.

patsu

:lol

Ok, stick these in the GAF Resistance Club house (someone create a secondary account) if the Playstation Home idea is true.

tanod

when is my burrito
M3Freak said:
Best one of the night. But, a couple of guys got blocked, and I didn't notice. Sorry!
IMG_4840.jpg

I SAID WOW.

This shot is a pretty damn good showcase for the graphics on the character models.
Notice how everybody has their own unique character model based on clothing they've unlocked for gaining ranks online.

That's me, 2nd from the left kneeling on the bottom. COOL. :)

Treo360

JB1981 said:

Pretty much correct. Sniper+Time slow down = success.

Treo360

Remy said:
How far are you in campaign mode?

Nearly everyone who's raved about the game fully admits that the single player is dull until you hit Manchester, at which point it punches you in the face with fists of awesome repeatedly.

You know, people kept saying that, and I was so hyped when I got there, kept saying to myself "Yes! This is where it picks up. What a let down. I didn't see what the big deal was.

I will say that I liked the last stage though, felt like I was running the gauntlet, although the very last stage was made a bit too easy using the Far-eye.

patsu

Yap... Manchester to me was ok. I like the later stages better (not just the last stage).

My favorites are:
* 2 stalker + 1 widow maker
* 2 angels + Hybrids
* The Mall
* Walking and hopping among Chimera pipelines (Cool !)
* Final stage

Might have forgotten some but these 5 leap out for the moment.

JB1981

Anybody get the Confidential Documents dossier from Playstation Underground? It's really cool. Insomniac, you guys ROCK. :)

I think Resistance 2 is definitely going to start off in the Nevada desert.

The Jer

JB1981 said:
Anybody get the Confidential Documents dossier from Playstation Underground? It's really cool. Insomniac, you guys ROCK. :)

AArrrrggggg...... Where's my dossier!!!!! *shakes fist*

JB1981 said:

I got that, the one with the poster? I also got a Resistance patch.

JB1981

akachan ningen said:
I got that, the one with the poster? I also got a Resistance patch.

yeah, it comes with a government-issue identity card and a letter from the Department of War about a sighting in the Nevada desert.

M3Freak said:

Your shots came out pretty good. Just needed a bit of editing:
ResistanceGAF00.jpg

M3Freak said:
Waiting for Click to take his pictures. Also anticpating being destroyed. Laark ready.

Damn you! Too bad I got sniped before your rocket could reach me...

M3Freak said:
Click murders his fellow warriors.

Yup, it's fun blowing people up, even if they have [GAF] next to their names. :D

M3Freak said:
In a blind rage, I try to take out Click.

You failed. =P

Someone should try to Photoshop the GAF tag/symbol to this:

ResistanceGAF000.jpg

M3Freak

Banned
patsu said:
:D

Need to add some mid-air grenades and the picture would be pretty representative of a wedge attack.

Wait till we have 30+ people on Sunday. That will be one awesome picture.

rod

Banned
krypt0nian said:
God I hate the internet.

cos i dont like a game you do? **** off.

anyway, im still playing it, how many hours approx is manchester in? and what makes it get better? /curious

sutdawg

IMG_4840.jpg

Great pics! This one really did turn out great! That's me bottom left!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'm going to try to join in on Sunday... however, a friend of mine needs help calibrating his TV (guess this means I need to bring my PS3).

We shall see based on where the wind takes me.

JS

BuddyC

jstevenson said:
I'm going to try to join in on Sunday... however, a friend of mine needs help calibrating his TV (guess this means I need to bring my PS3).

JS
Fine JS, be that way. I guess I'll just have to do all my work tomorrow and maybe play Resistance Sunday.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BuddyC said:
Fine JS, be that way. I guess I'll just have to do all my work tomorrow and maybe play Resistance Saturday.

Well, chances are solid I could get on Resistance from his place. But there are some other things that will need to be attended to that day and I'm not sure what the scheduling will be.

Besides, you're the guy not going to GDC where we could have hung out (*hint* Come to E3 so I don't mock you like this)

tanod

when is my burrito
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/769/769623p1.html

New Content Detailed. READ UP. Highlights to follow in EDIT.

1)Patch to correspond with European/Australia launch
-Fixes all known bugs
-Enables world-wide play with the option to play only with your own region (in-house testing of international gamers playing on US servers experienced NO LAG)
-Team Conversion gametype
-Assault gametype (Read article for details)
-Camera control added in custom games when floating/joining (like when you die in conversion)

2)2 Multiplayer Maps to be released in May
-Multiplayer only
-All gametypes supported
-Will cost money, and you will buy in-game
-No single player component
-Resistance website will provide new content to the story in relation to these two maps

3)Screenshots of new areas coming next week. Return to this link at that time.
4)Work on Resistance 2 was not confirmed OR denied.
5)Myresistance.net will have an update to leaderboard that will allow you to filter by region

Sadly, No clan stats support mentioned. :( *cries*

BuddyC

jstevenson said:
Well, chances are solid I could get on Resistance from his place. But there are some other things that will need to be attended to that day and I'm not sure what the scheduling will be.

Besides, you're the guy not going to GDC where we could have hung out (*hint* Come to E3 so I don't mock you like this)
I actually meant Sunday, was kinda rushing out the door when I posted that. I'd planned to be lazy tomorrow and do my work later in the weekend, but I suppose I can switch that up.

We'll see what happens with E3 as more details are announced, but I'll be there one way or another.

SleazyC

tanod said:
1)Patch to correspond with European/Australia launch
-Fixes all known bugs
-Enables world-wide play with the option to play only with your own region (in-house testing of international gamers playing on US servers experienced NO LAG)
! Clan going over 200 confirmed.

-Team Conversion gametype
-Assault gametype (Read article for details)
-Camera control added in custom games when floating/joining (like when you die in conversion)
Team Conversion is going to be really fun. I wonder if the team has a pool of lives or if its the individual (Didn't actually read the article maybe I should). I think the pool of lives for a team would be fun but more prone to being grief on.

2)2 Multiplayer Maps to be released in May
-Multiplayer only
-All gametypes supported
-Will cost money, and you will buy in-game
-No single player component
Wonder how much they are going to cost. I'll buy them either way but I hope they aren't too expensive.

jstevenson said:

JS

You've gotta be in the group pic. You have the crazy loadout.

Kittonwy

Banned
jstevenson said:
Also for you snow fantatics, we revealed in the article that one of the new MP maps is a snow map. Yum!

Damn I love the snow!!!
Indifferent2.gif

Anyway, played a bit tonight, was late getting on and had to work tomorrow, good to end on a win.

See ya all tomorrow night for the big showdown.

Indifferent2.gif

Top Bottom