• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of Man - The Official Thread

Kittonwy

Banned
dark10x said:
Wow, this is really growing. I might have to give it a try myself.

It's a good idea, best experience I've had with a FPS, both online and offline.
Indifferent2.gif

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Regarding clan growth - we're at 110 "active" members (i.e. accepted the clan invite) and still growing, before the game even hits EU. There was a time when 200 member max for the clan roster seemed like spacious luxury, but now I'm starting to wonder. IF Insomniac/Sony end up enabling players to play across regions, we could run into a problem if we try to merge all the regions into one clan. I have no idea how big the JP clan roster might be, but I expect that we've still got more NA players who will be asking for invites over the coming weeks and I expect there's quite a bit of potential to generate a sizable following in EU.

So I'm open to any ideas about how fellow clan members want to manage the potential situation. Alternately, if jstevenson wants to pop his head in here and tell me Insomniac just doubled the max clan roster size, we can all carry on with our day.

IJoel

I got Resistance last night. My nick is IJoel.

I didn't get a chance to play much, but hmm, I was rather underwhelmed. I hope it picks up.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
woo! congrats to 200,000 views!

Has the GAF clan played in any clan matches on gamebattles.com yet?

tanod

when is my burrito
kaching said:
Regarding clan growth - we're at 110 "active" members (i.e. accepted the clan invite) and still growing, before the game even hits EU. There was a time when 200 member max for the clan roster seemed like spacious luxury, but now I'm starting to wonder. IF Insomniac/Sony end up enabling players to play across regions, we could run into a problem if we try to merge all the regions into one clan. I have no idea how big the JP clan roster might be, but I expect that we've still got more NA players who will be asking for invites over the coming weeks and I expect there's quite a bit of potential to generate a sizable following in EU.

So I'm open to any ideas about how fellow clan members want to manage the potential situation. Alternately, if jstevenson wants to pop his head in here and tell me Insomniac just doubled the max clan roster size, we can all carry on with our day.

Probably just start dropping the people who are still privates/private first class. There are quite a few that haven't played enough even to get past that point. If you've played at least one time with GAF, you should be well on your way to being psat that rank. I don't think that's too much to ask. It's not so much having only elite players in the clan as it is about people who play a lot getting to play together.

I also think that the clan list is sorted by who was last logged in (after those) who are currently logged in, so the people at the bottom aren't on very much. Not sure about this though.

I know for sure that it's always kaching first and then "your login name here" and then people who are logged on, then everybody else.

Just thinking out loud, but it would be kind of neat if they organized users on the lobby/party/team screen by what rank they are, so you could get a better idea of the general skill levels of people on a team or those that are logged in.

I was thinking last night about what I'd like to see added to Resistance 2 online (or even a Resistance 1 expansion):

day/night and random weather options in multiplayer.

Imagine Manchester 40pl map at night- setting cars on fire and using them as a reference point for ambushes and what not, or Rooftops at sunset, with the sun blinding in some areas... or The Mall at night, only illumination being your flashlight and scattered storeroom lights that still have electricity (but you can shoot them out if you want to lurk in the dark). Hell, even throw in the gameplay option to turn flashlight functionality off? :D
While sniping in Manchester last night I started thinking about how much more challenging (and beautiful) it would be if it slowly started raining... then continued into a downpour. Not only would it make sniping more difficult, but also running-and-gunning on the ground.

These wouldn't just make the games more visually impressive, but also add whole new levels of challenge into the mix. I mean, terrain can be so much different to our senses in the night than in the day, and visa versa.

Just something I was thinking/dreaming about. :)

The Jer

TheJollyCorner said:
Hell, even throw in the gameplay option to turn flashlight functionality off?

Please, no. The flashlight is essential to those playing over composite cables. It's so much easier to see in the dark in HD than in SD. It would give some an unfair advantage.

everything else = okay ;)

squicken

I'm sure I'm just behind the curve, but did anyone else get the Resistance dossier in the mail from PS Underground? I'm sure you all got your months ago and I'm just now getting it, but it's pretty cool.

careksims

Would love to see the photo too! When you guys say its 30fps... damn... I just can't believe It's so fast and smooth especially when there is a huge firefight in one corridor. No slowdowns at all. Nothing! Damn Kudos to Insomniac!

BuddyC

squicken said:
I'm sure I'm just behind the curve, but did anyone else get the Resistance dossier in the mail from PS Underground? I'm sure you all got your months ago and I'm just now getting it, but it's pretty cool.
I just got it as well. Nice touch.

Aeon712

squicken said:
How cool is it? Since I've moved PSU has stopped sending me things even though I updated my information. Sucks even more when they send me emails about the things I shouldve received.

The Jer

squicken said:
I haven't gotten anything yet. And I keep my account updated. They look cool, I'd really like to get one.

squicken

Aeon712 said:
How cool is it? Since I've moved PSU has stopped sending me things even though I updated my information. Sucks even more when they send me emails about the things I shouldve received.

It's certainly nicer than anything xbox.com gave me :) The envolope is a glossy printed paper that looks like a satchel. There's a poster inside, along with a couple marketing materials. Too bad my mailman folded it to fit it in my mailbox :( All I have is crappy camera phone, or else I'd post pics.

patsu

If you guys are taking group photos in Resistance, I want in too >8^)

I kinda dress him up to be more fashionable for the occasion. Although he now looks somewhat "happy", I think he's safe. I resisted the urge to use the Medic helmet. A big "cross" on his head doesn't look like a good idea.

Ok, as promised, it's March 1st and I have some screenshots of the GAF Resistance clan group photo (so ghey).

They're really dark and not so clear (I hope m3 has better pics), since I took them from far away and had to zoom...

ResistanceGAF.jpg

ResistanceGAF01.jpg

Feel free to Photoshop any of these to make them better.

m3 taking photos of us:
ResistanceGAF02.jpg

Me dead. This was after I killed GAF members with LAARK. They were expecting it...
ResistanceGAFDead.jpg

Arc Charger kills:
ResistanceGAF07.jpg

Me killing m3 with Arc Charger cuz he was LAARK whoring...
ResistanceGAF09.jpg

teepo

ahhh just finished all my essays and ART PROJECTS i had in the last month. will be joining you guys again very soooon. can't wait.

Wollan said:
That's great stuff. :D

Need more group photos.

We were trying to keep this whole thing quiet, but I guess some of you didn't get the memo...

Anyway, now that the cat's out of the bag completely, Tuesday's big game should yield an epic NeoGAF team photo, if we can get 40 people to show up...

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
nice pictures. I should of been there. :(

I'll be playing this weekend for sure though.

sonycowboy said:
Nice developer interview in the latest Game Developers magazine for interested folks

0207_600px.gif
thats an awesome cover. wouldnt mind a wallpaper.

Pristine_Condition said:
We were trying to keep this whole thing quiet, but I guess some of you didn't get the memo...

Anyway, now that the cat's out of the bag completely, Tuesday's big game should yield an epic NeoGAF team photo, if we can get 40 people to show up...

The cat was already out of the bag, so to say... We had 18+ on Tuesday, so some people decided it was a good time to take that group photo.

Too bad you weren't there, but it's not like names showed up anyway. We'll do a few more group photos (so ghey) in the near future...

Wollan

Make sure your cameras are super crisp for Tuesday then. That pic may be one that will keep getting reposted on GAF for years.

Wollan said:
Make sure your cameras are super crisp for Tuesday then. That pic may be one that will keep getting reposted on GAF for years.

It's not even really about the camera being "super crisp" or not (it is, to a degree). It's just that you have to be at a perfect distance so that the zoom on the weapon is at a perfect spot; where the entire group gets fit into the shot AND the detail/brightness is good too.

When we took those screenshots Tuesday (2/27), m3 was a bit too close and I was too far. I still haven't seen m3's shots, but I'm guessing his are too close to get a good shot at the entire clan (those of us that were there that night). The next photo op we get (probably 3/6), I'll make sure we get a nice shot. This first one was just a test shot...

....jesus tap-dancing christ is this game getting difficult!

I'm at the London Train Station right now and between the alien weapons that melt through your flesh with ease and the checkpoints that seem to be 10 minutes apart on average, this title is really giving my dexterity a workout!

Did anyone else find it hard towards the end?

M3Freak

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

We're doing the very first GAF on GAF meet up on MARCH 4. It's in the other thread - I suppose I should have kept it in here. Here's the link to it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143969&highlight=mashup

BTW, my pictures suck. A few guys got cut off because of where I was standing. I was trying to get the backgroun in too, but it didn't work very well. Anyway, I have a better idea now how to frame the shots.

The next problem is figuring out how to set the camera to get the best shots. Pristine gave me a lot of tips for that, so hopefully I can get some practice in on my own tonight or tomorrow night.

REMEMBER: MARCH 4!!!

J-Rzez

So, I haven't played in a couple days... and, I exchanged my PS3 at Gamestop because I thought there was something wrong with the HDMI port, which I was wrong, and I guess it's either something with the TV, or I'm at a loss since I still have the same HDMI issue...

Anyways... Today was the first day I fig'd I'd try to log onto R:FoM and see if everything is intact with my tag since I reactivated my PSN account... and I had to do the update... but in the announcements, it mentioned the "podcast" thing, and also it seems they changed ranked games to give players more control and increased variety?

Added:
Team Deathmatch only
Team Objective Only
Chimera Only

Team based match types have been retired but stats will still be reflected...

Did I miss this since I haven't played in a lil' while? Or was it a new patch or something?

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
J-Rzez said:
So, I haven't played in a couple days... and, I exchanged my PS3 at Gamestop because I thought there was something wrong with the HDMI port, which I was wrong, and I guess it's either something with the TV, or I'm at a loss since I still have the same HDMI issue...

Anyways... Today was the first day I fig'd I'd try to log onto R:FoM and see if everything is intact with my tag since I reactivated my PSN account... and I had to do the update... but in the announcements, it mentioned the "podcast" thing, and also it seems they changed ranked games to give players more control and increased variety?

Added:
Team Deathmatch only
Team Objective Only
Chimera Only

Team based match types have been retired but stats will still be reflected...

Did I miss this since I haven't played in a lil' while? Or was it a new patch or something?

They added that with their latest server side patch - maybe 5 days ago or so. It's a welcome addition and at first Chimera vs Chimera can catch you off guard - a few times I'm thinking "stop shooting me asshole" only to realize he's on the other team. :lol I like it though.

sutdawg

Beatbox said:
They added that with their latest server side patch - maybe 5 days ago or so. It's a welcome addition and at first Chimera vs Chimera can catch you off guard - a few times I'm thinking "stop shooting me asshole" only to realize he's on the other team. :lol I like it though.

That was probably me shooting you! :lol

AgentOtaku said:

I'm at the London Train Station right now and between the alien weapons that melt through your flesh with ease and the checkpoints that seem to be 10 minutes apart on average, this title is really giving my dexterity a workout!

Yes!

It took me two days to run through the London mall level and to get outdoors. Very tough.

The ending levels are soooo epic.

I really need to run back through the game using my HijoDelLocoRoco account...or should I just go for it and go right to "hard" difficulty? Do you unlock anything with "hard" other than "Superhuman" mode?

Kittonwy

Banned
Crackerman16 said:
Ok, as promised, it's March 1st and I have some screenshots of the GAF Resistance clan group photo (so ghey).

They're really dark and not so clear (I hope m3 has better pics), since I took them from far away and had to zoom...

ResistanceGAF.jpg

ResistanceGAF01.jpg

Good pic.

That's me in the middle left in the spec ops skin.
Indifferent2.gif

M3Freak

Banned
NM. I'll put them up at photobucket.com. I created an account, but they're doing server maintainence. I can't do any uploading until they're done.

AgentOtaku said:

Yeah things really start to ramp up in London. I remember that part in particular was rather difficult at first (although not the hardest). If you have any Hailstorm ammo, the secondary fire is your best friend. Fire that sucker on their flanks and go to work. Unload every grenade you can find. Against the Augers I like to use a little fire against fire and use it against them since it does so much damage and they like to rush. When in doubt, try to tag with the Bullseye and use cover.

For anyone that don't frequent MyResistance and/or Insomniac's site, here's the link to IG's first "Full Moon Show"...

http://www.insomniacgames.com/podcast/podcast.php

Direct link to mp3: http://www.myresistance.net/podcast/ig_fullmoon_ep001_030107.mp3

Very interesting to listen to. Jstevenson is on there, blabbing about being a "tease." :D
Great segments where they interview video game insiders (or Insomniac employees).
Everyone should listen to this podcast, even though some parts drag a bit...

Edit: This first show is about 70 minutes long. I think JS said they'll try to cut it down to about 30 minutes in future shows.

rod

Banned
ok so after a few hours with resistance's campaign mode ive decided this game is shit.

i cant quite put my finger on it, but its very boring and linear. the story is uninteresting, although i like the chimera as the enemy design.

i know its blasphemous to knock this game, seeing as how its the holy grail of ps3 launch games, but im just not feelin it. il try online over the weekend, but i think im just about finished with the campaign mode.

Remy

rod said:
ok so after a few hours with resistance's campaign mode ive decided this game is shit.

i cant quite put my finger on it, but its very boring and linear. the story is uninteresting, although i like the chimera as the enemy design.

i know its blasphemous to knock this game, seeing as how its the holy grail of ps3 launch games, but im just not feelin it. il try online over the weekend, but i think im just about finished with the campaign mode.

How far are you in campaign mode?

Nearly everyone who's raved about the game fully admits that the single player is dull until you hit Manchester, at which point it punches you in the face with fists of awesome repeatedly.

M3Freak

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Actually I thought it was great even before Manchester :)

I'm way past Manchester, but now I can't remember what the hell the level was like. What happened during that part of the game?!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
rod said:
i know its blasphemous to knock this game, seeing as how its the holy grail of ps3 launch games, but im just not feelin it.
Eh, it's not blasphemous to knock the game, just ridiculous to call the game "shit". The game not being to your liking is perfectly understandable, but it's a high quality production, regardless of the platform its on.

Top Bottom