• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn (Titanfall, Stig) making 3rd person action/adven Star Wars game w/ EA, UE4

Star Wars: The Old Republic, which is still getting new expansion packs.

Do you have any idea or guess why EA never let Respawn use frostbite for this SW game considering other SW games are being made on it so assets could be re-used instead of starting from scratch? I know they're not owned, but they could license it, no?

Is this the Amy Hennings game too, or are we getting 2 separate Star Wars games?

They're two completely different games. Amy is working on a 3rd person Star Wars in the 'style of Uncharted' at Visceral which is owned by EA. Respawn is working on this title and has partnered up with EA again to do so.

IvanJ

Banned
EA pulling all stops to cash in on their Star Wars licence.
And this game looks to solve one big problem they admitted to: Lack of action adventure games. So a wise move to move into the genre with a well (very very well) established brand.

I am not a SW fan, but I sure am an Action Adventure fan, so I am definitely putting this game down on my short list.

giphy.gif

good-fainting-gif.gif

tumblr_mwqk9x7byU1sp0cpeo3_250.gif
HOLY FUCK
PRAISE THE 4TH

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is this the Amy Hennings game too, or are we getting 2 separate Star Wars games?

There are the following known games from EA.

DICE: Battlefront, Sigurlína Ingvarsdóttir
Visceral/Motive: Amy Hennig/Jade Raymond's "Uncharted Style" game
Capital Games: Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes (mobile)
Respawn: 3rd Person Action Adventure, Stig's game
BioWare: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Wait could this be the game they brought on the Assassins Creed writer Corey May to do the narrative? Not to mention loving Titanfall and anticipating the sequel later this year gets me more pumped. Also any star wars game that can improve upon the lackluster Battlefront I am prepared to be excited!

Didn't expect this, but all rad all the same.

Also, tell you what, if you ask me who came out a lot better from that Acti-Infinity Ward battle a few years, Respawn definitely seems like it came out best now. A successful launch of a new first-person shooter IP in Titanfall and then getting to work on a third-person Star Wars game.

If I was a developer and had the choice right now of wanting to work at either Respawn or Infinity Ward, I know what one I'd pick. Wouldn't even matter if I was on Titanfall 2 or Star Wars, both are exciting prospects right now.

I really, really hope, on a sightly unrelated-but-related note, that we finally see Amy Hennig's Star Wars game announced at E3. Been waiting patiently a long time for it and I'm hoping this year will finally be the year.

Eh, kinda been on Star Wars overload for a while now. I'm sure Respawn will make a great game, but I've had my fill of lightsabers and blasters for the next decade or so. I wish Respawn would continue to create original content. Good for Star Wars fans though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do you have any idea or guess why EA never let Respawn use frostbite for this SW game considering other SW games are being made on it so assets could be re-used instead of starting from scratch?

EA offered their engines to Respawn way back when, but Respawn didn't want them since none would run at 60 FPS on PS3 while also fitting their other needs.

As for why they're using Unreal Engine 4 now, I imagine they want an engine they can own forever in case their relationship ever implodes. It's unlikely it does, but if 20 years from now EA has a shareholder revolt and puts in a crazy person as CEO, they want to have their own tech stack.

EA offered their engines to Respawn way back when, but Respawn didn't want them since none would run at 60 FPS on PS3 while also fitting their other needs.

As for why they're using Unreal Engine 4 now, I imagine they want an engine they can own forever in case their relationship ever implodes. It's unlikely it does, but if 20 years from now EA has a shareholder revolt and puts in a crazy person as CEO, they want to have their own tech stack.

Ah I see, that makes more sense. I understood why they never opted for Frostbite with Titanfall, but just wondered why not now -- you make a valid point, thanks.

EA pulling all stops to cash in on their Star Wars licence.
And this game looks to solve one big problem they admitted to: Lack of action adventure games. So a wise move to move into the genre with a well (very very well) established brand.

I am not a SW fan, but I sure am an Action Adventure fan, so I am definitely putting this game down on my short list.

But they have an Uncharted like Star Wars game from Amy Hennig coming up and Motive Studios that's gonna make an Assassin's Creed type game.

I'm not complaining since I love these SP experiences, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was an open world Star Wars game.

J-Skee

Stig!!!! Holy shit, I'm happy for him.

So that's now 2 SCE (SIE?) alumni making Star Wars games. Damn... that shit gotta hurt.

Is respawn still mostly the old infinity Ward crew?
Pretty much, but bear in mind, while Stigs team does contain a decent amount of employees (e.g. quite a few from SSM after the layoffs), they're still hiring as seen in the OP. Most of the old IW crew are under Zampellas team within Respawn working on Titanfall 2.

JeffG

I know they don't (I mentioned it in two previous posts) but they could possibly license it, for convenience sake, no?
It wouldn't be in the best interest for Respawn.

Respawn at some point will go back out on their own and why invest in an engine that they wouldn't be able to use after they left.

Atomski

Must feel nice not having to make COD every year.

Must feel even more nice wben someone says you can make a star wars game..

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Ah I see, that makes more sense. I understood why they never opted for Frostbite with Titanfall, but just wondered why not now -- you make a valid point, thanks.

UE4 is also a really competent option so it's not like they're selecting from subpar choices.

Rayme

Is respawn still mostly the old infinity Ward crew?
No. A lot of us are, but a lot of us are also former God of War, and even more of us are from all over the industry and brand new. It's honestly kind of rad.

When we first started the company, I was afraid we'd grow into some shitty studio with a crusty old inner-circle that stops trying, and then all those dirty new-blooders who we'd never listen to or something. Didn't happen in the slightest. It's a great place. =)

Alexious

No. A lot of us are, but a lot of us are also former God of War, and even more of us are from all over the industry and brand new. It's honestly kind of rad.

When we first started the company, I was afraid we'd grow into some shitty studio with a crusty old inner-circle that stops trying, and then all those dirty new-blooders who we'd never listen to or something. Didn't happen in the slightest. It's a great place. =)

Hm, lots of former God of War developers, sounds good in regards to the combat of this game.

Kordelle

You guys did awesome work on Titanfall, can't wait for Titanfall 2 and that Star Wars game.

H3xum

Now this sounds awesome.

I still want another KotoR but this sounds nice in the meantime. Hope it is not tied in with the movies

Top Bottom