• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

Zekes!

So how are the shooting controls? Dual analog or single?

Any melee?

You can shoot with either a button (that provides lock-on if you hold it down) or the right analog stick for twin sticker shooter controls.

Lots of melee weapons, including fists.

edit: straight beat

Sillverrr

I'd prefer to play this on Vita, but SCEE... (Hey, at least I bought The Walking Dead on Steam).

Glad most of you guys are having fun with it. Played the PS3 demo from US PSN and the references even in that brief time were hilarious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
That would explain the Granville area

What other Vancouver references have you found? I'm from Victoria so some things I might just be barely missing...

Granville Zone
Robson Zone
White Rock Zone
English Bay Zone

And the Stadium Zone is right next to Chinatown Zone... I kinda think Theftropolis is basically Van :p

DJMicLuv

Played another hour or so. Great fun.
Take the time to read the 'how to play' section, it's fantastic. It's laid out like an old NES instructions guide and the text is really funny.
I hope this is a reasonably lengthy game as I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Man, the only bad thing about cross-save is I like to have different graphical settings for the PS3 and Vita.

And every time I load up a save from one to the other, I have to re-adjust the graphic settings on the current device. :(

Zekes!

Granville Zone
Robson Zone
White Rock Zone
English Bay Zone

And the Stadium Zone is right next to Chinatown Zone... I kinda think Theftropolis is basically Van :p

There's also Pacific Central Zone, could that be Pacific Centre?

Also holy shit, there's a Video & Arcade Top 10 reference, LOL

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
There's also Pacific Central Zone, could that be Pacific Centre?

Maybe so!

Also holy shit, there's a Video & Arcade Top 10 reference, LOL

THIS GAME..!!

I'd say it takes the crown from Scott Pilgrim as the game with the most retro cred....

(and now that I think of it... one references Toronto, and the other references Vancouver! :p)

Didn't even know there was a vita demo till I found on in the store.

Okay I'm buying this even though I should be saving my money. Demo was lots of fun. All over the place and completely insane fun.

SteveWD40

Anyone playing this on PC without a controller? is it possible to use the mouse to aim or is it just keyboard and therefore fecking horrible?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Man, the only bad thing about cross-save is I like to have different graphical settings for the PS3 and Vita.

And every time I load up a save from one to the other, I have to re-adjust the graphic settings on the current device. :(

Ah, was wondering about this. Hope they can patch in separate settings somehow.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
European PS3/Vita release is "sometime this month" apparently.

Gave this a quick go last night, the pace is crazy. Will take a little more time with it tonight and see how it goes. It's crazy the amount of references this game has though. Loved the Duck Hunt one on the roof at the start.

bunbun777

First 10 minutes just happened to find the
TMNT water zone.
Lost my power up than my life. Negative life counter is a nice touch. Music is awesome.

Kurod

Banned
The minigames at Nolan's Arcade are amazing. The Bit Trip one is hard as hell though; I can't pass the 5th level.

I just completed that one myself. Pretty dang hard to collect all the gold in every level but worth it to run around Theftopolis as a heat-packing CommanderVideo.

Maybe I just suck at games now in my old age, but I installed it last night and got to the
Frogger homage part where you have to cross the road
and just couldn't do it - I kept bouncing off cars.

Does the difficulty level suddenly ramp up insanely here, or do I just suck?

bunbun777

Maybe I just suck at games now in my old age, but I installed it last night and got to the

Once you automatically get the power up boots for fast speed, it is pretty easy. Also, there are breaks in the cars, did it on my first try.

I had no idea this was coming out on the VITA too.

I will be all over this when it gets released in the EU!!!!

Fan-fucking-tastic!!!

Did you try jumping? I know that sounds insulting to ask, but I certainly found myself in your shoes for a bit there.

Peggies

Gold Member

It is kind of tricky for a tutorial mission, and the general pacing is so insanely fast that you're tempted to rush it, but once you stop and take your time, it isn't that hard. Don't try to take on both lanes at once.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Damn I love owning a Vita. Have to flip a coin between this and LBP whenever I get a break.

I tried the demo and while I liked it, Im wondering if the constant referencing will get tiring or if the game is more than just a nostalgia trip. I was kind of astounded at how many references the game throws at you just in the tutorial.

jett

D-Member
Played some of this, wow this game is random. I'd be willing to bet the designer suffers from ADD. :p Not sure how much I like it so far, I'll have to play more.

Anyone...?

Bueller?

Shame there is no demo.

I've only used the keyboard, the mouse didn't work for me. The keyboard is fine once you get used to it but i'll be connecting my 360 pad tonight.

Anyone else unable to save their game from the menu? It just loops around and around saying "Save Failed, Retry? Y/N" until i cancel.

Also my GFX filters reset to default each time i start the game even though there's a .cfg file in the folder.

Top Bottom