• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

This game is hilarious. I was cracking up at the Engrish dialogue in the MG mission with Major Lee Solid. It's also funny how you're almost playing a completely different game from screen to screen during the main missions.

The
Mega Man 2 intro to the bank robbery
mission was great, too. The whole damn game is great! Haven't seen referential humor done this well in any video game before.

SteveWD40

Use a controller.

...no?

I've only used the keyboard, the mouse didn't work for me. The keyboard is fine once you get used to it but i'll be connecting my 360 pad tonight.

Thanks, if it's playable with the keyboard then that's all I need to know (unlike stuff like SMB which isn't). I will grab it during a sale or something.

Thanks, if it's playable with the keyboard then that's all I need to know (unlike stuff like SMB which isn't). I will grab it during a sale or something.

Cursors for movement.
WASD to attack in a direction.
Shift is Auto-Target & Auto-fire.
Control is Pickup & Throw.
Page Up/Page Down to Weapon switch.

I think... i don't have the game to hand to check them, sorry.
The keys are a bit of a (double) handful at first but i got used to them pretty quickly.

SteveWD40

Cursors for movement.
WASD to attack in a direction.
Shift is Auto-Target & Auto-fire.
Control is Pickup & Throw.
Page Up/Page Down to Weapon switch.

I think... i don't have the game to hand to check them, sorry.
The keys are a bit of a (double) handful at first but i got used to them pretty quickly.

Not bad, I assume that's Rctrl? I read you can't re-bind them so that helps to know.

Coconut

Banned
Maybe I'm just feeling some open world quest fatigue with the nature of the other games I'm playing Gravity Rush and Borderlands, but I am not feeling this game.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Maybe I'm just feeling some open world quest fatigue with the nature of the other games I'm playing Gravity Rush and Borderlands, but I am not feeling this game.

Unrelated to your post, but oh shit you actually got the tag! :lol Best tag on GAF confirmed.

vocab

It's very fetch questy, and the game is pretty self aware about it which bothers me. The games alright at best. I should be done it very soon.

ryushe

So is this game actually good, or is this GAF's "Hot sh!t of the week... but will be soon forgotten not too long after"?, cause I gotta say, other than the whole parody angle of "I love the 80's", I'm not really seeing why everyone is in such a tizzy for this game.

Not hating, I just wanna understand the love.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So is this game actually good, or is this GAF's "Hot sh!t of the week... but will be soon forgotten not too long after"?, cause I gotta say, other than the whole parody angle of "I love the 80's", I'm not really seeing why everyone is in such a tizzy for this game.

Good gameplay. That's where the love comes from. The amazing audio visual presentation doesn't hurt either. Oh, the attention to detail is ace btw. Let's not forget about the great dialogue and references too!

OmegaZero

Fuck I can't pass level 5 in Bit Trip Retro. The part with the crocodiles is brutal.

Wait till you reach level 7.
The intro section is soul crushing.

And then I got a perfect on that and then accidentally quit because I didn't know that start didn't pause the game. :(

EDIT: If you need help, I've found that it helps to do medium-short hops so you land on the leftmost edge of the croc's head.

Khar

I like the retro feel: the chiptunes, the filters, the parallax scrolling in the cutscenes.

I'm not keen on the car handling though. The cars reminded me of playing this:

472613-mask-zx-spectrum-screenshot-game-screen-just-started-and-there.png

Limited animation with a giant turning circle. I know it's retro, but it's crap retro. I don't play modern games and go 'Oh how I long for poorly handling vehicles like in the days of yore.'

On foot everything is much more fun.

OmegaZero

Limited animation with a giant turning circle. I know it's retro, but it's crap retro. Poorly handling vehicles isn't exactly something I long for in modern games.

You can change the vehicle controls to Automatic, which makes them control like on-foot does.

Khar

You can change the vehicle controls to Automatic, which makes them control like on-foot does.

I really do appreciate you trying to help, but I did try the automatic and it didn't improve it for me.

From GTA1 onwards I always enjoyed just driving around, skidding around corners, getting up to ridiculous speeds. It's part and parcel of the whole experience and I just can't enjoy the handling in this game.

It's the sort of thing that I'd be fine with in the 80s and early 90s but not now.

OmegaZero

I really do appreciate you trying to help, but I did try the automatic and it didn't improve it for me.

From GTA1 onwards I always enjoyed just driving around, skidding around corners, getting up to ridiculous speeds. It's part and parcel of the whole experience and I just can't enjoy the handling in this game.

It's the sort of thing that I'd be fine with in the 80s and early 90s but not now.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.
Well, I guess the only thing you can do is hope you get used to it or something. Or just walk everywhere.

Personally, the vehicles are just "there" for me. I only use them because they're faster then walking (especially if you attach boosters to them).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

My top indie game of the year. It's just pure fun. I love how everything controls, and I keep stumbling across pleasant surprises.

Only downside? You can combine the "Hero" hairstyle with the eyepatch. I want to be MGS3 Snake.

zeioIIDX

Wait till you reach level 7.
The intro section is soul crushing.

And then I got a perfect on that and then accidentally quit because I didn't know that start didn't pause the game. :(
That exactly what happened to me.....pissed me the hell off -_-

Alex

It's a solid menagerie of 8-bit titles with a lot of hefty 80s theme that actually goes fairly in-depth with it's implementation, it is pretty much what you think it is.

It has some wonk on the controls and some tedious missions but as a general museum title it's pretty entertaining, especially if you're old enough to catch the more nuanced bits rather than the broad stuff.

I think it's a bit overpriced though, and with as much shit as there is to play as of late, if you're on the fence it couldn't hurt to wait for a Steam sale. I don't agree that it's one of the better smaller form titles of the year, not in a year of things like FTL, Tokyo Jungle and Torchlight II, but I think it's worth a look.

But even though I'm 27 and it fits my era pretty decently, I'm just not that nostalgic of a person beyond having a thang for good pixelart and chiptunes, so it may not reverb as well with me as others.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Dear god. I've been doing this stupid Bit Trip mini for like an hour. Just beat 1-5 and my vision is constantly moving to the right, I have a headache I feel dizzy... Those god damned alligators can kiss my white ass. It doesn't help that the waterfalls manage to stutter my awful god damned laptop. I'm pretty sure it's going to be impossible for me to beat this I don't know why I'm still trying.

plc268

Only got to mess with it for a few minutes, but it's pretty good.

The game plays like crap with a 360 controller (PC version)... for some reason it would automatically shoot/punch when I moved. So, instead I whipped out my usb snes controller (it was an authentic snes controller, not those cheap knockoffs), and now it feels awesome. The way the game was meant to be played.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Great game despite having "identity" problems.

Well, i keep getting sound errors crashing the game with "HsSrv.dll" issues, i can't save my game and it doesn't read the config file when it starts. I can't see any obvious issues when i run procmon either.

I've tried my preorder download and redeemed my key on Steam, same problems.

I hope there's some form of patch soon as i really enjoy the game in the small amount of time it gives me.

Edit: The issues were with my system obviously.
Changed to Xonar Unified drivers, disabled onboard sound in BIOS, ensured GX mode was off and i've had no sound issues since.
Config file is now being read. I'm assuming there was a driver crash that was recovered at game start up that skipped the config file loading. Maybe.

Still can't save my game though.

Raptomex

This game is quite awesome. I don't know how many races are in this game but the first one (race around the city under 1:20), either I suck or this is just ridiculous. Playing with a 360 controller.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Ahahahahaha finally beat that fucking Bit Trip minigame! Fuck YOU Retro City Rampage! Fuck YOU Commander Video! FUCK YOU crocodilians!

I actually fucked up and my controller auto-shut off after I beat the final level and reverted to keyboard controls and for some reason my ESC key didn't work, so instead of being able to hit the retry level button I had to quit out and redo the ENTIRE minigame from the first level. My second time through it I was like fucking alligator Rain Man.

KuKxs.jpg

Only reason 1-5 took me so many tries is cause I got up to piss while I was auto running into the wall.

Fuck that mini game!!!!

I'm gonna go take some ibu'z and rest a while now.

vocab

I have come to the conclusion the dynamite mission is poorly designed and shouldn't be in the game with the current mechanics. It's impossible to do it legit unless you trap your self in some corner or abuse the respawn system (like I did).

Top 3 worst missions in the game at 67% done:

1:Jail Break
2:Dynamite Mission
3:Sweat Bomb

OmegaZero

I have come to the conclusion the dynamite mission is poorly designed and shouldn't be in the game with the current mechanics. It's impossible to do it legit unless you trap your self in some corner or abuse the respawn system (like I did).

Top 3 worst missions in the game at 67% done:

1:Jail Break
2:Dynamite Mission
3:Sweat Bomb

There's a challenge based off of the mission IIRC.

Something along the lines of "Picking a Fight With Dynamite".

vitacola

Only got to mess with it for a few minutes, but it's pretty good.

The game plays like crap with a 360 controller (PC version)... for some reason it would automatically shoot/punch when I moved. So, instead I whipped out my usb snes controller (it was an authentic snes controller, not those cheap knockoffs), and now it feels awesome. The way the game was meant to be played.

A question:
Did you mod your original SNES controller by yourself? If you did, do you remember how or which tutorial you followed?

Thank you in advance.

Coconut

Banned
I will say I do enjoy the fact that this game reminds me of something that Bart would be playing at the QWIK-E Mart in the Simpsons.

Peggies

Gold Member

Agreed, this mission is was a real pain. I managed to pass it after 20 or so tries, more out of luck than because of skill. Either there is something that I'm missing or it is really just horribly designed. Wonder how it got past testing/QA.

Otherwise I like the game quite a bit, but I'm still hoping for more interesting side missions to be unlocked as I go on.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Holy shit, the Virtual Meat Boy game in 3D is great. Was sat there in my paper glasses playing for so long that my eyes went strange. Good stuff!

Jasoneyu

Does this game always have this black border when playing with no filters?

set your game to 3x zoom

edit: damn beaten.

But man I am having a great time with this game. It is just way to spazzy most of the time, the first 10 minutes had 1000 references and made no sense.

I just want to say a big screw you to both microsoft and sony europe for not releasing this this week. next week I'm going to busy with dishonored and it only gets worse from there. this week would have been perfect as I have tomorrow off with nothing to play.

Top Bottom