• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETRO CITY RAMPAGE |OT| Your entire childhood rolled into one

I played the Vita demo last night and while I think the graphics, sound, and references are great, I didn't find the game to be all that fun to play. To be fair I hated the overhead GTAs as well so maybe it's just not for me.

I'll still buy it, but it's going in the "$2.50 on Steam" pile.

OmegaZero

I held number 1 spot for most of the day on a few challenges. I got bumped down to top 10. A lot of them are luck based.

Yeah, that's the feeling I got from them too.
I always think I can do better when I get a high score, but end up failing to even approach the original attempt on subsequent tries.

ryushe

I feel pretty much the same way. I love everything but the gameplay is not doing it for me. I don't understand the need for a cover system in this type of game.
And this is exactly what I'm expecting to experience from the gameplay videos i watched.

Still, I did end up buying the Vita/PS3 version (two copies for the price of one? Why not), so hopefully I'll end up liking more than I initially thought I would.

The game is awesome, and I'm not even talking about the old game references. It's just fun, fast arcadey fun.

The cover system I ignored. I just run and gun, and it's just fine for me.

The cars are a bit slow for my tastes, too.

The game looks uuugly on a normal CRT, at least playing the ps3 version. The pixels don't line up right, causing color banding and flickering, making some things hard to read and hard to see. I would imagine that the Wii version would look normal when playing on a CRT.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So does anyone on a MacBook Air have this running in Parallels or BootCamp? Basically, does it run with an Intel HD 4000 card?

Why cant there be a demo?

Zekes!

I'm having a blast playing this. I think it's a lot of fun. The fact that it has a Video & Arcade Top 10 reference makes it automatically awesome.

Does Steam Cloud not work for this game right now? It shows it as supported under "Updates" but it doesn't seem to actually store my save.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So much to do in this game. The arcade can be a huge time sink. So awesome.

I love how they got Team Meat and the Bit Trip guys involved. You could release both them games separately and charge a nominal fee. They're that addictive.

plc268

A question:
Did you mod your original SNES controller by yourself? If you did, do you remember how or which tutorial you followed?

Thank you in advance.

Well, the cord was bad on my original controller, so i completely replaced with USB. I did it the easy way though, and bought the "SNES RetroKit" from retrousb. Installation, if you're comfortable with soldering is pretty simple, and there's directions on that page I linked.

But if you already have a good working controller, I recommend just getting an snes port to usb adapter. It's a lot simpler for most people.

RoeBear

Just got this message when starting up the game on PS3 twice now

"Registration of the trophy information could not be completed. The game will quit.
(800022D86)"

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This game has been great so far. It's a complete nostalgia trip for me, and I can't help but grin like an idiot when I'm playing.

Like the games it references and parodies, the mechanics are 100% sound and perfect, but it's the whimsical, quirky charm of the presentation, from visuals to soundtrack, that connect with you in a way few games of this generation can pull off.

It was worth every penny, and I've been having a great time simply absorbing all of the things hidden away in this game. Little references here and there that I had completely forgotten about, from games I played back when I was a kid in the 80's. There are also film and television references as well, so it's not just limited to gaming.

A lot of thought and effort was put into this game, and I really appreciate it. Nostalgia overload for sure.

vitacola

Well, the cord was bad on my original controller, so i completely replaced with USB. I did it the easy way though, and bought the "http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=44 from retrousb. Installation, if you're comfortable with soldering is pretty simple, and there's directions on that page I linked.

But if you already have a good working controller, I recommend just getting an snes port to usb adapter. It's a lot simpler for most people.
Hm, so it probably will be the adapter solution. Thank you for the two links.
This game really makes me hate the cops, they spawn way too often IMO.
Yeah, the cops in the game are the only really annoying elements for me.

I just bought this last night. Basically played the first mission then stopped in the Arcade and played a little virtual boy clone, which was not particularly impressive? Do I have to beat Arcade games to unlock new ones or will they just unlock through the course of the game? Basically, what I want to know is what is the best way to tackle this game?

Lucent

Played the demo, wasn't really all that impressed. Charming presentation though.

Pretty much this. I love pixel graphics and 2D sprites, but they look way too small to me. I only played the demo, but the demo didn't sell me on it. And the story stuff happens way too fast and sporadically. Feels like they're trying to cram every reference they can one after the other.

So does anyone on a MacBook Air have this running in Parallels or BootCamp? Basically, does it run with an Intel HD 4000 card?

Why cant there be a demo?
My cousin is currently playing it on a 5-year-old $200 Compaq netbook, so I'd say people would be hard-pressed to find a system it won't run on. Only thing that might be iffy on integrated solutions are the filters, but the game just turns them off if your system can't handle them. HD 4000 is fairly capable, so I wouldn't expect performance issues at all.

dioxys

Just beat the "main" missions and holy shit, i haven't had this much struggle with a game in a long while.

Haven't even looked at the side missions yet. I need a break from beating my head against the wall.. The absolute last 2min stage took me about 1h to beat!
It get's really challenging at times, but since it's so forgiving with checkpoints and there's no finite continues/lives, the game never get's as nerv wrecking as the games RCR take's it's inspiration from.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's so much to do in this game. Definitely worth the $15.

Didn't play more than 20 mins on PC version, but did anyone else think the game controlled a bit sluggish? Cars seemed very slow to navigate, but that might have just been me.

vocab

Beat it at 90.%. It's an alright game. It's a little too shallow in some areas. For every good stage there may be a few bad ones. The end of the game is fairly difficult with a lot of unavoidable deaths. The arcade challenges and replay system is cool.

I haven't found the
minecraft
stuff. If anyone know where that is let me know.

Okay I found it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
How does that score in *any* way reflect the review text? The guy outright tells you *not* to buy the game. The entire last paragraph is dedicated to what *else* you should buy instead. And then... 7/10?

I don't like being that guy, but stuff like this says a lot about games reviews.

Zhengi

I tried it out last night and I thought the gameplay was so so. The game was a great idea, but I just didn't find it to be too much fun. I'll go back to it later on and give it a second chance.

Top Bottom