• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

I prefer the monochrome game for some reason. Maybe the color choices didn't sit well with me. Either way, the DX game plays in monochrome on a DMG, GBP, GBL, or SGB1/2 anyway if it also bothers you.

Peltz

I prefer the monochrome game for some reason. Maybe the color choices didn't sit well with me. Either way, the DX game plays in monochrome on a DMG, GBP, GBL, or SGB1/2 anyway if it also bothers you.

Interesting. How do you feel about the look of the Oracle games?

I have a few white NSTJ Saturn controllers. The two I got with my console have a very dark gray cable. The ones I acquired later have a very light gray and much less flexible cable. I couldn't find any information on the cable types of certain revisions and am just curious if anybody can corroborate or shed any light on this.

The ones I got with my console look like this:
Saturn_HSS-0101-2.png

I will post pics of the other ones when I get home.

I have a few white NSTJ Saturn controllers. The two I got with my console have a very dark gray cable. The ones I acquired later have a very light gray and much less flexible cable. I couldn't find any information on the cable types of certain revisions and am just curious if anybody can corroborate or shed any light on this.

The ones I got with my console look like this:

I will post pics of the other ones when I get home.

I think I have some of these. I'll check when I get home. I usually don't use them because I worry that a white controller will show what a disgusting monster I am.

I just got myself

Okami HD (Japanese disc release)
Wanda and the Colossus (Japanese disc release)
Dark Souls
Siren Blood Curse
Shadow of the Damned
Yakuza 4
Vanquish

For a few bucks each. I'm grabbing Mikami/Suda stuff, quirkier games by auteurs.

Doing research to make sure I get the best version. I never played Red Dead and grabbed that, but the 360 version is vastly superior so will wait for that.

Where did you get Okami HD from? Been wanting to pick it up for years but always goes on the backburner since I beat it multiple times on ps2.

dubc35

Where did you get Okami HD from? Been wanting to pick it up for years but always goes on the backburner since I beat it multiple times on ps2.
I bought one sealed on eBay a couple weeks ago via Japan.

And FYI, it's basically an install disk. You can't run the game off the disk. It's not a big deal for me but I didn't realize that prior to buying it. It's around 8gb iirc. I'm not sure how I was able to free up 8gb on my launch bc 60gb phatty but I did, lol.

IrishNinja

LTTP > LA

I just got myself

Dark Souls
Siren Blood Curse
Shadow of the Damned
Yakuza 4
Vanquish

For a few bucks each. I'm grabbing Mikami/Suda stuff, quirkier games by auteurs.

Doing research to make sure I get the best version. I never played Red Dead and grabbed that, but the 360 version is vastly superior so will wait for that.

damn, some of the greats right there! wish i'dve gone after that Okami HD disc too, is that still on the cheap?

D.Lo

Just watch auctions, got it for $5. Plays in English.

It's just the download game on a disc. It installs the whole game then just uses the disc as a key lol.

As far a Link's Awakening goes, which is the definitive version? The original or DX? I heard they made changes to the gameplay in DX.
I'm sure a lot of it's nostalgia, but the original version, the one I got back in the early '90s, is my favorite version of LA. The color version is great too, but I think the colors look a bit garish (it doesn't match the way I imagined it looking when I first played the game... :p), the new dungeon isn't great or essential, the photo element is kind of neat i guess but has no impact on gameplay and isn't a big deal, and the lower difficulty of some things (explained below) wasn't really needed either.

They also added support for the Gameboy Printer, where you can get your picture taken then print it out.
That's sort of right, but not quite. Specifically, there are maybe a dozen or so points in the DX version where, if you have the camera (which you get from the camera store in what used to be a mostly empty square of the map) and take a picture, you can get a photo of certain scenes during the game, either for certain story moments or for doing specific things. Basically this adds about a dozen new cinema-scene images to the game at those moments, and you can also print off those pictures too if you have a GB Printer. You can't just print screenshots, only these specific scenes.

I thought I heard there were changes in difficulty, as well, but maybe I'm smokin' something.
Yes, two things make the color version easier.

First, when you beat the color dungeon you get optional red or blue tunics you can wear. One is basically an infinite Piece of Power, and the other an infinite Mighty Acorn -- so, with one you do double damage, and with the other you take half damage. Naturally this makes things easier, versus the original version which does not have any way to permanently get those bonuses. (You need a GBC to play the color dungeon and get these bonuses, of course; LADX is a black cart, so it also runs in the original GB, but there it's just the original game with the camera/printer thing added, you can't get to the bonus dungeon.)

And second, the original game has only one hint in each dungeon, on a Stone Slab. Get the Stone Slab Piece and go to a slab and you get the hint. Some dungeons have multiple slabs, but all just say the same thing. The color version replaces the slabs and slab pieces with owl statues and owl statue beaks, but they work the same way as before... but there are more statues now, and each one has a different hint. This makes things a bit easier in places. I don't mind this, but it isn't an essential change, the original game was fine -- it's got some hints, which is great (both with the phones and dungeon slabs, I really like the improved hint systems, versus previous games!), but doesn't tell you too much.

The actual gameplay is the same tough stuff it is in the original version, though.

Interesting. How do you feel about the look of the Oracle games?
Probably because they were designed in the first place for color, I think the color works better in the Oracles games than it does in LA DX.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I just got myself

Dark Souls
Siren Blood Curse
Shadow of the Damned
Yakuza 4
Vanquish

Nice list! I own all these except Siren (which i need to check out). Awesome time to collect for the PS360. Also definitely agree that they feel and are basically the same system.

I think I have some of these. I'll check when I get home. I usually don't use them because I worry that a white controller will show what a disgusting monster I am.

Here's a shot of both of them together. The one on the right I got with the console, while the one on the left I got just a month or two ago. I've opened both up and can confirm they aren't knockoffs, but I haven't been able to confirm why there's a difference in the cable.

Just curious, but if anybody has any info, that'd be cool.

Whoa, so PS3 Xbox 360 are retro now?

At least now I'll have a reason to post my absurd collection of PS3 games.

D.Lo

Here's a shot of both of them together. The one on the right I got with the console, while the one on the left I got just a month or two ago. I've opened both up and can confirm they aren't knockoffs, but I haven't been able to confirm why there's a difference in the cable.

While there is some variation on all Sega stuff, the one on the right looks like it has a grey controller's cable attached. Possibly from Sega who might have used the last of the grey controller PCBs/cords on the first generation of white consoles/controllers.

Looks like I only have black, gray and bomberman Saturn controllers. I need to get some white ones now.

D.Lo

PS360 is such a funny pseudo-single platform. Sony and MS would HATE them being called exactly the same. And they fought for the same players.

But both would have failed without the other. Devs bet hard on PS3 pre-launch and it failed pretty badly (remember he month the GBA outsold it in NPD lol), but there was the 360 around to pick up the slack of those development efforts. Then later Sony doubled down on PS3 losses to save the sinking ship, and it was the only one to have broader success worldwide while MS was stuck in US/UK. People pissed by RROD had an equivalent platform to jump to as well. Both companies lost billions, ironically to prop each other up.

The combined ecosystem was enough that devs stuck around instead of moving to the actual #1 selling platform in all terrritories like they would have done every other generation.

IrishNinja

^all that, plus MS literally forcing sony to step their online game up rapidly. PS3's OS still feels like a bogged-down hodge podge of all those updates (never, ever look up trophies in game!) but they wouldn't have come nearly half as far without MS practically dragging them along.

Morfeo

So I just got a deal of 100 Nintendo Power Magazines from 88-98-including complete series of 88, 89 and 90 for $250. Jumped on it as it seemed pretty decent. Looking forward to check them out, our scandinavian Nintendo-Magasinet was nowhere near the same quality in the early days.

IrishNinja

ah, that's awesome! i got lucky with a deal years ago at a bar for most of the N64 era stuff, got most of the first year off another guy on craigslist here years ago...had to drive way north but it was totally worth it, even had the posters!

man, reading stuff like Pak Watch takes me back.

So I just got a deal of 100 Nintendo Power Magazines from 88-98-including complete series of 88, 89 and 90 for $250. Jumped on it as it seemed pretty decent. Looking forward to check them out, our scandinavian Nintendo-Magasinet was nowhere near the same quality in the early days.

i'm looking for the blaster master issue. i wanted that toy/model so baaaaad. i kept asking: when will it hit the stores....=)

Morfeo

Now just imagine for me who have never even read these magazines outside of some pdfs here and there. So excited to check them out. They were owned by some guys who worked on the Nintendo tips&trick-line back in the day, and they are freaking pristine, including all posters and so on as well!

By the way, i have no idea why Nintendo doesnt do more with this stuff, like rereleasing it in book form as is usual with old comics, or at least sell them digitally on the estore. Wasnt there a rumour about that back before the Wii U launched?

i'm looking for the blaster master issue. i wanted that toy/model so baaaaad. i kept asking: when will it hit the stores....=)

Dont remember if that is included, but will check it out when they arrive!

D.Lo

Book form would be sweet. The physical is part of the vintage appeal (see also why the NES mini is a phenomenon despite every single electronic device you own being able to emulate the NES already).

Nice! I got most of the first 40 issues in a lot for $100 this summer. It's a such a blast going through them! I'd advise you to get a copy of one of the indexes that NP put out. You can just look up any game you're playing and find out which issues have maps, tips, etc. It really enhances the authentic vintage experience! Much cooler than a modern FAQ because they don't give everything away. And the graphic design is just stellar.

Now just imagine for me who have never even read these magazines outside of some pdfs here and there. So excited to check them out. They were owned by some guys who worked on the Nintendo tips&trick-line back in the day, and they are freaking pristine, including all posters and so on as well!

By the way, i have no idea why Nintendo doesnt do more with this stuff, like rereleasing it in book form as is usual with old comics, or at least sell them digitally on the estore. Wasnt there a rumour about that back before the Wii U launched?

Dont remember if that is included, but will check it out when they arrive!
i think it was like the 3rd or 4th issue, i forgot. but congrats on the deal!

Nintendo Power was the fucking bomb. My parents were willing to get me a subscription from day 1 as a way to encourage me to read as a kid. I still have most of my issues. I actually just went through them the other week, and I've got all but about 6 issues from the first up through issue like 160ish. 160 - 190 is a bit spottier. I think I stopped subscribing during/after the GC days and basically everything from the 200s - end I hardly have any issues of.

I read the shit out of those early ones, to the point where most of the covers have gone missing and they're so worn. You can just tell they've been ready a few hundred times.

BTails

FYI, in case anyone missed it, Lost Odyssey is free for Xbox right now. Very Retro styled JRPG from Sakaguchi with music by Nobuo Uematsu. I played it back when it released and absolutely loved it: it really felt like a throwback to Final Fantasy 6-10.

It can be played on Xbox 360 or Xbox One, so grab it if you have one of those consoles!

IrishNinja

oh yeah, that game is way too long but definitely good for classic FF fans - dream sequences alone are some of last gen's best storytelling, and i remember being crazy impressed with the facial models at the time too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I loved Lost Odyssey.

Realizing it actually runs way better on the Xbone has given me my first reason ever to actually play a game on the thing -- I'm kinda excited to finally get some use out of it.

This beauty arrived in the mail today.

Brand new in box and never used for £120, couldn't pass that up. : D

I'm debating if I should go ahead and bivert mod this console though, the green tinted image does have its charm, but I bought this console with the intent to actually play games rather than keep it boxed up for another two decades.

Oh, and I'm very pleased with how my shelf of handhelds seems to be turning out here. : D

What do you think I should consider adding next, I'm thinking game boy color or sp or maybe even a psp go?

You need to get a Wonderswan.

BigPete

Can someone point me in the direction for some recomendations on power management?

I have the following consoles:

NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii
WiiU
Genesis
Dreamcast
Xbox
Xbox360
Playstation
Playstation 2

and a BluRay player.

I see a lot of articles on the best video connections and such, but can't really find anything about managing power. I would like to avoid having a ton of extension cables and/or power strips everywhere.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Peltz

Can someone point me in the direction for some recomendations on power management?

NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii
WiiU
Genesis
Dreamcast
Xbox
Xbox360
Playstation
Playstation 2

and a BluRay player.

I see a lot of articles on the best video connections and such, but can't really find anything about managing power. I would like to avoid having a ton of extension cables and/or power strips everywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FFULA5I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

As far as I'm concerned, most surge protectors will do the job. This should be fine.

NES
SNES
N64
GameCube
Wii
WiiU
Genesis
Dreamcast
Xbox
Xbox360
Playstation
Playstation 2

and a BluRay player.

When you have over a dozen devices in one area, it's hard to avoid having some kind of cable monstrosity.

What I do is use a UPS with one of these connected to it. This set up has tons of outlets in only a few choke-points and gives a lot of room for giant AC-DC power bricks. The UPS has the added benefit of providing a stable supply of energy.

The thing Peltz posted looks pretty great but I would worry that gravity would cause some of my bricks to fall out over time.

BTails

When you have over a dozen devices in one area, it's hard to avoid having some kind of cable monstrosity.

What I do is use a UPS with one of these connected to it. This set up has tons of outlets in only a few choke-points and gives a lot of room for giant AC-DC power bricks. The UPS has the added benefit of providing a stable supply of energy.

I use a very similar power strip to the one you linked. The best feature of mine is the switch on the front to turn it off and on. I flip it off when the systems aren't in use, that way the power bricks don't heat up constantly.

Top Bottom