• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

BigPete

When you have over a dozen devices in one area, it's hard to avoid having some kind of cable monstrosity.

What I do is use a UPS with one of these connected to it. This set up has tons of outlets in only a few choke-points and gives a lot of room for giant AC-DC power bricks. The UPS has the added benefit of providing a stable supply of energy.

The thing Peltz posted looks pretty great but I would worry that gravity would cause some of my bricks to fall out over time.

That looks nice. I like the spacing on the side outlets.

Looks like it's mountable too. I might be able to mount it behind the TV and use clips to route the wires from each individual cavity in the cabinet to it.

This could work well. Thank you!!!!!

Mega

Banned
I second Laevateinn's suggestion. Some "surge protectors" are actually regular power strips, including some other Belkins. The one he linked has actual surge protection.

dubc35

It looks like my Black Friday Everdrive made it to New York so hopefully I should get it in the next couple days. East coasters may be getting theirs soon!

I actually got my everdrive about a week ago and I'm in NYC. I knew it was fast, but I didn't think it was that fast.

Pro-tip: The SanDisk 32GB Ultra Class 10 (grey/silver) for 10 dollars on amazon loads quickly and works very well.

IrishNinja

It looks like my Black Friday Everdrive made it to New York so hopefully I should get it in the next couple days. East coasters may be getting theirs soon!

congrats man! i don't think there's tracking, yeah? hopefully my master system one makes it out here soon!

Glowsquid

Here's a twitter account that's been posting concept art and production documents for Irem's arcade games since a few months. So cool!

Cvs3lYWVUAAaMgI.jpg

CgKCPAXUkAAehMu.jpg:large

I need some buying advice.

A guy on eBay just posted a bunch of used PS2 games. They all look great, but the guy only has a feedback of 8. Something just smells fishy.

Throughs?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ssn=pie_pdoswzrwt&rt=nc

Why do you think it's fishy? Everyone has to be new at some point. Looks like he's been a buyer and is selling his first items. The pics look thorough.

On a related note, I just resolved my first eBay dispute after about 125 transactions. Item never shipped and I got a full refund. It was a CIB copy of Donkey Kong for NES. I suspect the seller thought he could get more for it and just held back. Scummy.

Hawk269

My local mom & pop Store had someone bring in an Atari 800XL computer with the Disk drive. The owner has not seen one of those in ages and he did not pay too much for it. He is willing to sell it to me for $60.00 for both pieces. It has a box and he said it looked in great condition. He has not tested it yet, but he said we can test it before I buy it. Outside of just seeing if it turns on, anything I should look for before making the buy?

Thanks!

Hawk269

Apart from making sure the disc drive work and every key registers, there's not much I can think of. Hm...

Thanks. I just read that it comes with basic built in, so this would allow me to test to make sure each key works. Not sure if they have a disk to test the disk drive with, so my be a crap shoot on that part.

Khaz

Looking at the prices online, I'd say get it even if the drive doesn't work lol
It seems most of the software were released as cartridges and tapes. For a bit of fun, there are apps that can be used instead of a cassette player to load a fake tape. You just need the right cable.

BTails

So part of my brother's Christmas gift is a mix CD I'm making of retro game music. I've been sending him Youtube tracks for the past few months, and he's really been digging some.

To make it more personal, I'm ripping the music myself from original hardware. Nothing later than the PSX/N64/Saturn generation, and no redbook audio. Also staying away from anything too famous, so no Mario, Zelda, Sonic, etc... It's a fun project!

I just played through the first couple of levels of Castlevania for 64 so I could rip the Mansion music. I played this one for the first time a couple years ago, and totally loved it. It gets a lot of shit around here, but it's a fun 3d action platformer if you can tolerate some "N64-Jankiness".

Hawk269

Turns out the Atari 800xl that I was able to get dirt cheap works very well. Right now I am only able to use it with RF Out. I ordered a Monitor Out cable to at least get RCA out to improve the image a little bit. The Disk Drive that came with it looks in great condition and powers on, but it had a disk in the drive and I am getting only a boot error. Not sure how long that disk sat in the drive. I ordered a DOS 2.5 disk and a dirt cheap game to test it with.

So now that I have this unit, I need to ask if anyone knows where to find some games on disk for it? I owned this computer back when it came out and back then the availability of finding disks with multiple games per disk was a big thing, I remember having a ton of disks with anywhere from 4-8 games per disk. Does anyone have a 800xl that is willing to provide some disks, of course I am willing to pay for shipping and any additional costs.

Thanks!

Hawk269

Anyone know how to move games that I download for the Atari 800xl to actual 800xl discs? Or does anyone have stuff they are willing to sell/copy?

D.Lo

I was interested in trying the Spectrum CV game when it was released a year or so ago, but it's not a normal Spectrum game so won't run on the classic system. It's for Spectrum 128, which is is a Spectrum Plus upgraded with 128KB Ram. Original models have 16KB or 48KB.

Khaz

Anyone know how to move games that I download for the Atari 800xl to actual 800xl discs? Or does anyone have stuff they are willing to sell/copy?

You'll need either

A 5.25 floppy drive for your PC. If you have a floppy connector on your PC it may be enough, there may be software for Windows to read and write Atari format. If you don't, you need a Krioflux, an expensive piece of hardware that adds a floppy connector in USB. It's about 100€. The cheaper FC5025 is read only.

Or a floppy emulator like the sio2sd. It may bypass any writing problem you may have on a PC as you'd use Atari software to duplicate a mounted virtual floppy to a real one. Another option, more expensive, is an HxC floppy emulator with a XF551 floppy controller. But you get a reusable HxC for your other computers, or even use a real 3.5 drive if that's your thing.

I'd get the floppy emulator imo. Just throw the floppy images on the SD and do everything on the 8bit computer, instead of spending all your time on your PC. The Krioflux is probably more efficient to do stuff, simply because you're on a modern PC, but where's the fun in that?

(I have never used an Atari 8bit computer, but I like playing with old 8bit computers in general. I have a CPC myself and I'm looking into getting an MSX and Spectrum in the future. I like to read about these sort of things, how to interface old computers with our modern world)

Khaz

I use www.17track.net to track my international parcels. It interfaces with most local postal services and private carriers so you don't have to deal with weird interfaces and foreign languages.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

There is tracking via USPS once it gets to the US (same number as the tracking # in the order details). Website says: At first days all our items can be tracked with this post tracker, later recipient should use tracker of county where he is
I think mine are in Canada.

Canada Post hates registered mail for some reason and it tries to lie and act like it has no idea what the tracking number is. There's a workaround to at least check the last time they scanned it with no info but it's still ridiculous. Also if I don't sign at the door they'll take it to the post office and it becomes impossible to find any info about it short of calling the post office it's going to and hoping they have it.

I'm not sure if I should hate registered mail or CP here but it's really annoying. I should just so EMS all over but costs way too much.

dubc35

Thanks for that link, looks like my SD2SNES is gonna be delivered today! Nice little surprise.
Nice! Mine too it looks like, woot!

I think mine are in Canada.

Canada Post hates registered mail for some reason and it tries to lie and act like it has no idea what the tracking number is. There's a workaround to at least check the last time they scanned it with no info but it's still ridiculous. Also if I don't sign at the door they'll take it to the post office and it becomes impossible to find any info about it short of calling the post office it's going to and hoping they have it.

I'm not sure if I should hate registered mail or CP here but it's really annoying. I should just so EMS all over but costs way too much.
Bummer, shipping/delivery this time a year can be an exercise in frustration. Best of luck!

Not bad. At the very least I want to get an RGB-out mod but I might do this too. Does this improve battery life too? I seem to recall doing that on my Nomad made it last a little longer.

I think I will pick up Wild Guns. Where's the best place to order a physical copy?

It's really odd but there are lots of physical games being released this gen (and for Vita) that would seem to be very niche and worth owning new since they'll likely be harder to find later. It doesn't hurt that they are usually really cool indie titles, too.

Maybe we should try to make a list of these here...???

entremet

I think I will pick up Wild Guns. Where's the best place to order a physical copy?

It's really odd but there are lots of physical games being released this gen (and for Vita) that would seem to be very niche and worth owning new since they'll likely be harder to find later. It doesn't hurt that they are usually really cool indie titles, too.

Maybe we should try to make a list of these here...???

There was a physical thread last generation, for those wanting XBLA/PSN games that got disc releases.

But Natsume is a tiny publisher, so act fast, they should be some copies on Amazon.

I also need to get River City Tokyo Rumble too.

Top Bottom