• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

hey, these came in the mail today!
AEjrBn2h.jpg

v5yafwWh.jpg

as a sega fan: you done good, dave! you done real good.
Yakuza 2 is such a great game. Own Infinite Space as well, but never played it.
thanks guys!

hey all, i went on a shopping spree today. i saw a snes 1chip set for 79 bucks. i asked the guy to open it up so i can check inside, he was so nice and broke the system out of a shrinkwrap he put over it and opened it for me even before i even brought it.

next, they had a sale all ps1,ps2,gamecube, titles buy 2 get one free so i grabbed 4 titles and got 2 free. did i make out ok?

Guys, I did a let's play of Knights of the Round the other day. A favorite from my childhood. Totally as good as I'd remembered! Anyways, it got me thinking about other Capcom games of the era, since I'd just heard about Kind of Dragons, which looks rad.

Suddenly it occurs to me, I have NEVER played the Chronicles of Mystara series. I saw it was on Steam and snapped it up and it is SOOOO good. Really like the culmination of all Capcom's craft and love for Beat 'em ups in one amazing package. It may have the finest hand-drawn graphics I've seen. It's really pretty crazy. I can't believe it's taken me this long!

Over the weekend I've bought so much great shit, mostly on SEGA platforms, that I totally missed or only scraped the surface of in my youth. I'm so excited to get onto the Shinobi games, the later Golden Axe games, Alien Storm. So much good stuff. And, hell, all for around $30.

Sorry for the kind of raving lunacy, it's just such a great time to reconnect with stuff I missed out on.
i do remember knights of the round table in the arcade. is there a home version of that?

Leave some for the rest of us. :c
oh, i think the switch stuff is going to keep us preoccupied. just curious what he had lol
The Shadow Hearts trilogy was a great pick up. Nice one
thanks! never played them so i'm curious how they are.

I haven't posted anything yet and I actually may not at all, my girlfriend talked me out of it. Still, I may sell one or two things if it comes to it, I am running out of space.
no worries! just curious what you had. i'll probably stick to some budget nes titles for a while.

oh, i think the switch stuff is going to keep us preoccupied. just curious what he had lol
thanks! never played them so i'm curious how they are.

Was joking chum, do what you do.

Also pick up Koudelka on the ps1 since its the first game in the Shadow Hearts series. Also also From the New World isn't as good as the rest but whatever.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
i do remember knights of the round table in the arcade. is there a home version of that?
The SNES version is terrific!

Say, quick question for everyone. I just got an Elgato to record some stuff. Works great, but what do I do with .TS files? I use Adobe Premiere Elements for editing but to my understanding they don't work. I'm in the middle of encoding a large file right now so I can't check and won't be able to for a while. Any tips on converting?

The SNES version is terrific!

Say, quick question for everyone. I just got an Elgato to record some stuff. Works great, but what do I do with .TS files? I use Adobe Premiere Elements for editing but to my understanding they don't work. I'm in the middle of encoding a large file right now so I can't check and won't be able to for a while. Any tips on converting?

Copy a .TS file and rename it to a .mpeg extension, and it should change.

Galdelico

SNES port is good, it's also included on the Capcom Arcade Classics Collection vol 2 on Xbox and PS2.

Also on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded for the PSP (or the only Japanese CCC released for the system, in case you prefer the import version), if you want the game on the go.

jjasso21

I recently replayed Knights of the Rounds as well. It was a fun game that I played on the SNES. As for the Arcade version, it was good as well but it seemed to be missing a few things such as blocks and other moves.

Also the Chronicles of Mystaria is great too. I especially liked how you can choose the path of stages/destination for almost every level.

Guys, I did a let's play of Knights of the Round the other day. A favorite from my childhood. Totally as good as I'd remembered! Anyways, it got me thinking about other Capcom games of the era, since I'd just heard about Kind of Dragons, which looks rad.

Suddenly it occurs to me, I have NEVER played the Chronicles of Mystara series. I saw it was on Steam and snapped it up and it is SOOOO good. Really like the culmination of all Capcom's craft and love for Beat 'em ups in one amazing package. It may have the finest hand-drawn graphics I've seen. It's really pretty crazy. I can't believe it's taken me this long!

Over the weekend I've bought so much great shit, mostly on SEGA platforms, that I totally missed or only scraped the surface of in my youth. I'm so excited to get onto the Shinobi games, the later Golden Axe games, Alien Storm. So much good stuff. And, hell, all for around $30.

Sorry for the kind of raving lunacy, it's just such a great time to reconnect with stuff I missed out on.

Timu

I recently replayed Knights of the Rounds as well. It was a fun game that I played on the SNES. As for the Arcade version, it was good as well but it seemed to be missing a few things such as blocks and other moves.
The arcade game had blocking, you just do attack and hold back on the stick at the same time, I know, it's very awkward to do and it's why I prefer the SNES version. Also, what moves? They seem to be the same in that area.

NDPsycho

It's the better version, but it's quite pricey!

Beat-em-ups going the way of shumps. Paid a bit for SNES Legend recently, but its fun to discover new games in a favorite genre you weren't aware of. Knights is fun though, love the leveling aspect of it.

Horseticuffs

Guys, I'm having a moment lately and, as I wait for my video to render, I wanted to try to capture it. Since it occurred to me that I actually had the opportunity all this time to play Castlevania: Rondo of Blood via Virtual Console I've been awestruck. It was the main reason I ordered an Elgato recently. Playing it just to finally experience it before the Elgato came, I wrote a little something for my Facebook page I wanted to share here.

The chance to play this, finally, after decades of being enraptured by just the idea of the game, is making me so joyful. I spend all day just thinking about the game and when I'll get to return to it. I even finally pulled the trigger on the Hardcore Gaming 101 book on the series! I'm just getting lost in Castlevania since I started my Youtube channel.

Facebook post below.-

I used to look through the pages of video game magazines over and over again as a kid like a student at a seminary. These were sacred texts full of exotic, elusive relics from distant lands I could only dream of.Games that would never be translated into English. Games that would not cater to Western sensibilities.

This game in particular; Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, used occult and religious symbology at a time when our market wasn't open to what was considered a children's plaything displaying those things.

In console games of that era here in the West, real-world religious symbols were altered to be inoffensive. You wouldn't find animated cutscenes of Mario performing some esoteric occult blood ritual to summon some long-dead, malevolent force.

So the silly daydreams of that boy remained as such.

It's nearly unbelievable for me that now, in our global economy, if something is cool and worthwhile, it almost always has a global release. It's just awesome that I was finally able, legally and with real United States greenbacks, to finally buy this game over twenty years after a few low-resolution screenshots in a few nerd magazines were enough to capture my imagination.

D.Lo

This game in particular; Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, used occult and religious symbology at a time when our market wasn't open to what was considered a children's plaything displaying those things.
That's not why it wasn't released though, it was simply because it was on a platform that was dead outside of Japan. It was only really Nintendo who removed religious imagery.

Horseticuffs

That's not why it wasn't released though, it was simply because it was on a platform that was dead outside of Japan. It was only really Nintendo who removed religious imagery.

Fair enough, and a sad commentary on NEC's success in the West. Growing up, until roughly high school, I was mainly a Nintendo kid. Even on Genesis I don't recall many games dealing with real-world religions at all. Consider my statement the product of my limited exposure, in that case.

It still stings that the TG-16 didn't do better over here.

D.Lo

It's a killer game though. I think it's possibly the greatest non-Nintendo game of the generation, it's certainly my top one.

Spladam

In your humble opinions, what is the best Bomberman title up to the N64? Been wanting to go back and play one, but not sure which one to dive into. I've only played one of the 64 Bomberman games, can't remember which one though.

In your humble opinions, what is the best Bomberman title up to the N64? Been wanting to go back and play one, but not sure which one to dive into. I've only played one of the 64 Bomberman games, can't remember which one though.

Universal opinion is Saturn Bomberman

Peltz

For single player, I really like Bomberman 64.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I booked my flight out of GDC early so I could pick my Switch up from the office tomorrow. So, yeah.

Honestly, I really wanna play the new Torment game that came out right now, but nah -- it's gotta be dat Switch.

KC-Slater

Switchmas Eve. Any retro gaffer getting one?

On topic cuz Hamster is putting out Neo Geo games at launch, I guess.

Passed my pre-order over to a colleague. I will get one eventually, but not feeling the launch line-up. I have a heavily-discounted Amazon pre-order of Zelda for Wii U coming, and that doesn't leave much in the way of Switch to be excited for at launch. For me, the lack of Virtual Console at launch kinda killed the excitement for me. I was hoping to migrate my VC library (even if at a cost) on to the Switch for my commute to/from work. I'll wait for the inevitable Fall bundle/price-drop.

Peltz

Switch just got delivered to my apartment. I can't wait to get home and set it up!

Unfortunately, Zelda and 1-2-Switch don't get delivered until tomorrow. It looks like I'll be playing Snipperclips tonight as my first game.

This is torture. I should've ordered everything from Bestbuy so it all came in one box. Waiting another day to play Zelda is like... the worst.

Yes Boss!

Got a Switch and Pro Controller and all the launch games coming. Prolly around mid March as it all has to be forwarded from cali. Pretty amped for it. That said, picking up my Zelda on Wii U tonight and will play it on that system as its swan song.

Was hoping for some VC out of the gate but pretty happy to have Blaster Master and Bomberman and SFII and Shovel Knight campaign to compensate.

I'm getting Zelda tonight on Wii U.

Kinda split on if I'm going to get a Switch when a Vita-sized model hits or just wait until it's end-of-life but I guess we'll see how the games are over the next few years. Right now I just have tons of older games to dig into so I'd rather do that.

Horseticuffs

Holy hell, y'all. Stage 4 of Rondo is one of the most brutal experiences I've had in gaming. I've put almost 6 hours into it the past day just trying and retrying. I even started over from the beginning because I didn't realize how to go back to the main title screen on the Wii version. At least now I have Maria. I wanted to get her because Kurt Kalata said she was basically easy mode in this game on an old episode of Back in my Play. I appreciate her increased mobility but damn does she get hurt.

Speaking of Kurt Kalata I got his Castlevania book in the mail today. Nice, meaty tome which seems packed with great info. I can't wait to dig in as I really like his appearances on BimP.

Holy hell, y'all. Stage 4 of Rondo is one of the most brutal experiences I've had in gaming. I've put almost 6 hours into it the past day just trying and retrying. I even started over from the beginning because I didn't realize how to go back to the main title screen on the Wii version. At least now I have Maria. I wanted to get her because Kurt Kalata said she was basically easy mode in this game on an old episode of Back in my Play. I appreciate her increased mobility but damn does she get hurt.

Speaking of Kurt Kalata I got his Castlevania book in the mail today. Nice, meaty tome which seems packed with great info. I can't wait to dig in as I really like his appearances on BimP.

Castlevania X68000 is the same way with me. Each level takes an exponentially longer amount of time to complete. Some Castlevania games are completely brutal. That's the biggest issue I have with Igavania. The atmosphere is better than perfect but the challenge is non-existent.

Vinlaen

Anybody interested in an OSSC (never used) with the digital audio upgrade?

I purchased an OSSC (on 11/12/2016) but literally never even plugged it in. I also ordered the digital audio upgrade last week which will be arriving within the next few days. I plan to install it and then just sell the device because I'd rather use the money for something else and my framemeister is working well enough.

Top Bottom