• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
What's amazing is that it's probably the easiest traditional Castlevania game.

It's also a lot easier on a low-latency display and most importantly if you just stay chill. If you get upset at all you might as well just stop playing.

Oh, I dunno. Different games are hard for different people. I recently beat Bloodlines without being particularly struck by its difficulty. I played a lot of 1 and 3 as a kid and beat those, of course, that was a looooong time ago. Ol' gray mare, she ain't what she used to be.

I'm going through Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth as well, and that's got a very gentle difficulty so far, but from what I gather that's pretty much that game's shtick.

entremet

I'm a huge portable gamer, so I'll be getting a Switch when they're widely available.

To me it seems like the spiritual successor of the Vita but with Nintendo 1st party, which is huge for me.

dubc35

Yeah, I'm holding off on switch. I like the concept on paper, but the executuion and price of admission seems lacking as of right now. All things considered it'll cost as much as a PS4 pro... which I don't own yet and that has priority at that price point. Glad I got a Wii U to replace my busted one so I can play BotW and get basically the same experience on a TV.

I wish I had more time for gaming. I was looking at Nintendo refurbed Wii U's on ebay last night. $200 isn't too bad. As I've gotten older I more and more prefer to get consoles late in their life cycle. They're inevitably cheaper, most issues have been ironed out, and the game library is mostly complete.

I wish I had more time for gaming. I was looking at Nintendo refurbed Wii U's on ebay last night. $200 isn't too bad. As I've gotten older I more and more prefer to get consoles late in their life cycle. They're inevitably cheaper, most issues have been ironed out, and the game library is mostly complete.

BotW on Wii U is legit, the library on Wii U is fantastic and even if some of the better games end up getting ported to switch there's still going to be stuff left behind.

Biggest problems with Wii U at this point is that many of the games are still really expensive. There are some Nintendo Selects titles but not enough. And even "sales" are like 30%.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I dont know about Rondo of Blood being among the easiest, outside of western CV3, i find it the most difficult of all.

hey guys,
i picked this up today remembering sixteen-bit (i believe) mentioning it as a sleeper Shmup.
NX5OEJ5.jpg

6KJ31YD.jpg

bucLjoG.jpg

Japanese CV3 is quite easier than US CV3.

As far as I understand it, tons of stuff in that era made it to the US with increased difficulty to try to combat game rentals versus sales.

I played Metal Storm on NES for the first time tonight, that's probably the best game I've played since Castlevania. I'm still not super impressed with the majority of the NES library, but that was a pleasant surprise to find whilst perusing a multicart.

Man it's a bummer how expensive the PS2 port of this is.
i didn't even know ps2 had a port

Prolly not me cuz I've never played Sol Divide, lol
oh! i guess it was someone else =)

I would image that is because it was part of a bundle with Dragon Blaze which is probably the best game Psikyo made, kinda ironic considering Sol Divide is their worst.
i saw it for cheap randomly, hopefully it's at least playable

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
My Switch is finally here! Gonna take off a bit early to catch up, after that miserable weekend where I was decidedly Switch-less.

televator

I've found the friend codes easier than typing HaloKillaz69rox to add someone.

That said in most cases people will be added by 'recently played with' I'd imagine.

I can remember halokillaz69rox though without even looking at it again. A series of random numbers wasn't something I even bothered with on the Wii.

D.Lo

I can remember halokillaz69rox though without even looking at it again. A series of random numbers wasn't something I even bothered with on the Wii.
Why do you need to remember it, presuming you got it emailed/messaged to you? They do have a username that shows up once added. It's just waaaaaay quicker to read and type, because you only have a 10 digit number pad. Especially with a controller, though of course you can pull the Switch out of the dock and use the touchscreen too.

That said there's not too much reason to use the feature with strangers, as you can select people by their username when you've played online with then.

televator

Why do you need to remember it, presuming you got it emailed/messaged to you? They do have a username that shows up once added. It's just waaaaaay quicker to read and type, because you only have a 10 digit number pad. Especially with a controller, though of course you can pull the Switch out of the dock and use the touchscreen too.

That said there's not too much reason to use the feature with strangers, as you can select people by their username when you've played online with then.

At work, I just use my one user name across all platforms. "Hey what your XBox/PSN/Steam ID?" "bb1televator." Some people even go so far as to make it their real names. Passing these along is a lot simpler than a random string that the user himself can barely remember.

D.Lo

Oh okay I get it, remembering your own one. Yeah that makes sense.

I'm just talking about getting a message on facebook from a friend 'add me' - from that point on I've found 1234-5678-9123 quicker to add than Clash_banicoot_666

Yeah I think user names are memorable to an extent. If your simple like Johnpv, or IrishNinja it's fine. When some one tells me their username is "L337!g@M3rZ!!" I'm never going to remember that, and it's more effort to put that in, than just a series of numbers.

Peltz

I've been spending a lot of time playing Breath of the Wild the last couple days. It's probably the best executed open world game I've ever played, with a lovely Zelda theme thrown in. They really nail the loot loop, nothing is really useless (as far as I can tell), and the limitations in the game (like the inventory) make finding the hidden stuff really rewarding.

Mostly been doing TV but it plays pretty well on the gamepad as well. I even reconfigured my Wii U position so I could get better coverage on another floor. Was playing while cooking earlier.

Only thing is it's made me realize we'll probably never see a traditional 3D Zelda game ever again, which is kind of sad. There's only been 5 of them and no other game or series has really done that style properly.

It's really a phenomenal game. I'm still gushing over it and have so much left to explore a few dozen hours into it. I'm playing on Switch and the 900p resolution is also pretty great. Seeing how clear it is makes me back off of my decision not to grab MK8 deluxe. I think I'm going to grab it for the 1080p visuals.

Anyway, to me, BotW is still very much a traditional 3D Zelda. It's just bigger and a bit less of a Metroidvania than the other games in the series (starting with Link's Awakening). To me, 3D Zelda overlapped a bit too much with Metroid Prime, and I'm glad to see the series distinguish itself a bit more and get back to the core of the feelings spurred up by Zelda 1, II, and LttP. Although I have to admit, I'm not even a quarter done with it and am already feeling a bit over-powered. I think I'll need that higher difficulty mode in the DLC.

But I disagree with the people who think that this game doesn't borrow heavily from Ocarina of Time. I still feel the influence of that game in BotW, but it's in a less suffocating way.

There are enough differences that I can't even really compare it with other 3D Zelda games. They're more linear and in a nice way; in BotW I always have like 18 things I want to do at any given time (reminds me of Minecraft), it's really addicting, and it's nice in a lot of ways but not always what I want to play. Sometimes I rather like just having a clear next path. Having the items locked behind dungeons and progression locked by the items is a mechanic I appreciate; it's exciting to get that extra long hookshot or finally get the bow or whatever else because it lets you finally get into that spot or reach the new part of the world. There's other stuff along that line.

Another problem is that I can go back and replay OoT or Wind Waker or Twilight Princess and 20-30 hours later I'm done. I've done an OoT or Master Quest run every year for like 13 years now.

If I go back and play this in the future it's like... set aside a few weeks of non-stop play again? Play at my normal pace and be at it for how many months? Do I just skip all the side quests next time? Skip finding the koroks? It's why I've never gone back to doing a Skyrim run despite really liking that game. I just haven't been able to do another 130 hours of that, much as I'd like to.

BTails

Every time David posts a new pickup, I get hungry... Seriously, my mind has made a mental connection with "davidwangchoi new pickups" and "dinner".

Also, I played the heck out of my MGS VR missions back in the day. Those get really intense in the later missions!

Danny Dudekisser

How's Bomberman, by the way? Curious what RetroGAF types think. I'm sure the mainstream gaming press hates it, but they're also dumb.

IrishNinja

my roommate & friends played it multi while i was out & said ti was classic overhead bomberman, i beat the first boss in story mode before zelda arrived & loved the cheesey story/dialogue and how the goals/enemies got a bit more challenging by the end of said stage

as someone who's played bomberman forever & very likely lost friends back on the GC version: yeah it's $50 and will be more attractive when that launch price drop inevitably happens, but you're getting exactly what's on the tin here

Danny Dudekisser

That sounds promising. $50 is kinda a lot, but I also don't care. I just wanna play cool shit, and I'm obviously in a Switch kinda mood, given that it just launched.

I gotta say -- I absolutely fucking love the cases, especially now that I'm seeing them in person. It sounds weird, but I wanna buy more games just to have 'em. But for now, I think I'm sticking to just Zelda and Bomberman... and Binding of Isaac when it's out on the 17th.

Also, I would kill (perhaps literally) for retail copies of Fast RMX and Blaster Master.

IrishNinja

^right? both look fantastic

id dump my PS4 LE order of Sonic Mania if it actually got a physical there too. it's weird but ive been thinking it'd be cool to get more classic sega style releases on the platform this gen, like the wonder boy games & maybe ToeJam & Earl when that one drops.

totally forgot about binding of isaac, but that one plus puyo tetris id be happy to get on the cheap. it's funny that this thing is looking to be a lotta 2D love, for me.

Danny Dudekisser

And I forgot Puyo Puyo Tetris. I'll import that one. The JP voices are so charming in-game that I kinda have to have them. Kinda torn on whether to get it on Switch or PS4... but I'll probably end up going for both, for no good reason. And I have to sell my copy of the original PPT release on PS4... yeah.

It's weird, though. Some games just feel right having on Nintendo's system. I really don't even know what it is. Like, Sonic Mania's probably going to be pretty much the same on all platforms, but I want that on a Switch cart so badly.

Anyway, only played like 90 minutes of Zelda yesterday. Was spending a buncha time trying to figure out why the sound kept randomly cutting out every time there was a bit of silence... for whatever reason, setting the Switch to surround rather than stereo fixed it. Was worried it was an HDMI handshake issue with my receiver. So today, in light of the unfulfilling amount of Zelda I played yesterday, and because I'm working frmo home because I'm sick, I'm probably going to dive into the game early and not stop playing until I go to bed.

Is this thread is the only decent place on GAF to talk about the Switch or Zelda? I don't understand why but every other thread is a fucking cesspool.

D.Lo

There are enough differences that I can't even really compare it with other 3D Zelda games. They're more linear and in a nice way; in BotW I always have like 18 things I want to do at any given time (reminds me of Minecraft), it's really addicting, and it's nice in a lot of ways but not always what I want to play. Sometimes I rather like just having a clear next path. Having the items locked behind dungeons and progression locked by the items is a mechanic I appreciate; it's exciting to get that extra long hookshot or finally get the bow or whatever else because it lets you finally get into that spot or reach the new part of the world. There's other stuff along that line.

Another problem is that I can go back and replay OoT or Wind Waker or Twilight Princess and 20-30 hours later I'm done. I've done an OoT or Master Quest run every year for like 13 years now.

If I go back and play this in the future it's like... set aside a few weeks of non-stop play again? Play at my normal pace and be at it for how many months? Do I just skip all the side quests next time? Skip finding the koroks? It's why I've never gone back to doing a Skyrim run despite really liking that game. I just haven't been able to do another 130 hours of that, much as I'd like to.
I'm getting that feeling as well, it's overwhelming. When I reach a new village I almost freak out at all the options lol.

That said, what sets it apart from Skyrim is that everything is fun. I jump into basically every enemy encounter because it's fun. For the first time ever in a game I like the 'crafting' element (cooking only in this case). I found this with Farcry 3 too, it was always fun, but the world was not as good. Farcry 2 had a world as compelling as BOTW, but wasn't as fun to play.

Take all that and add that spicy Japanese-flavoured touches and it's easily the best of breed. But it's still an open world game, which isn't always what you want. But I'm a sucker for a beautifully realised world and lore, which is why Wind Waker was my favourite Zelda, despite having weaker dungeons and some busy-quests.

Spladam

my roommate & friends played it multi while i was out & said ti was classic overhead bomberman, i beat the first boss in story mode before zelda arrived & loved the cheesey story/dialogue and how the goals/enemies got a bit more challenging by the end of said stage

as someone who's played bomberman forever & very likely lost friends back on the GC version: yeah it's $50 and will be more attractive when that launch price drop inevitably happens, but you're getting exactly what's on the tin here
This is kind of what I wanted to hear, sounds promising for me. Have you had time to get into some multi player? Does it have that classic BM frantic feel to it?

Is this thread is the only decent place on GAF to talk about the Switch or Zelda? I don't understand why but every other thread is a fucking cesspool.
Nintendo seems to be a contentious subject everywhere. This is nothing new, we've always been that way historically as gamers, on every launch and on every forum really.
Just look at this amazing Usenet throwback thread.

Were you there for my "Nintendo Easter egg on the Pro Controller" thread? It became a cesspool then a graveyard within the first three pages. Funny thing is I didn't even see it coming.

IrishNinja

new console launches are always a mess. The console warriors are armed and at the ready for every new thread.

seriously, it's like this every time
i got piiled on at the PS4 launch for saying resogun was the only good game, and that sony console launches (well, most console launches, really) are pretty barren for the most part

i likewise said i thought a good port of zelda & bomberman made a solid launch lineup, which may have been controversial, i don't know. i don't stay long in those threads.

Nintendo. Nothing irks GAF more than Nintendo. At the same time GAF loves Nintendo.

they really do lose their minds, yeah
the weirdest part is the crowd that's there every time, just waiting on specs, because they liked having nearly everything on the SNES in the day & are certain it'd be that again if they could just churn out cutting-edge hardware that's otherwise indistinguishable from the competition. it's crazy to watch those threads implode for the last 10+ years, with so few lessons learned

This is kind of what I wanted to hear, sounds promising for me. Have you had time to get into some multi player? Does it have that classic BM frantic feel to it?

sadly no, i was out when my roommate & friends got some multi going but i wanna do so soon, i really can't cosign it too heavily until then! i will say that the stuff id heard about input lag wasn't something i noticed much on the single player, but i am pretty adaptive with that stuff to be fair

is Wii U considered retro?
saw the last non gutted copy @ gamestop on clearance:
Every time David posts a new pickup, I get hungry... Seriously, my mind has made a mental connection with "davidwangchoi new pickups" and "dinner".

Also, I played the heck out of my MGS VR missions back in the day. Those get really intense in the later missions!
lol, yeah i get the itch for retro games when grabbing dinner =) haven't played VR missions but needed to grab it for completion.

Top Bottom