• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

Merry Switchmas retro gaf

pNT4.jpg

Peltz

I got a switch guys. It's SOOOO DOPEEEEEE

Still waiting on Zelda to be delivered tomorrow. But Fast Racing RMX is pretty cool. I'm surprised at how good the graphics are from this little guy.

I really love the joy cons. So glad I went with Neon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I bet it sucks.

Nintendo sucks and I hate it. Switch is going to be their last system they make cuz it sucksz.

You people who got it early suck too.

At least you guys can't play Zelda without me :(

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
OMG, I never thought I'd do it but after like 8 hours on stage 4 of Rondo of Blood I freaking did it. Man, that was intense. Usually, when I do vids for my channel I'll do like unlimited lives or continues. I'm super transparent that I'm not good at the vidya' games despite how I feel about them.

So, when I can make progress on a game with such legendary difficulty, on a platform where cheating isn't an option, it really pleases me. Man, that's why I love retro games and Castlevania games, in particular. You can run up against a wall where you die and die and die and start over and die and start over some more. It's the most frustrating thing in the world and you want to quit. Sometimes you do quit. Sometimes, right when you hit the limits of your willpower, just as you are about to quit, you come through in the clutch and all the lessons you subconsciously picked up over all those attempts finally find some purchase in your freaking head!

I'm sure, as much as I've got Hell behind me, I've got Hell ahead of me as well. As Milton said, however; "Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04854XqcfCY

Danny Dudekisser

GUYS IM DRUNK

I crashed the Havok party at GDC at the top floor of the Marriot -- just lied my way in. Got tons of free food and alcohol, and now I'm a little fucked up.

Will be sober enough to get on a plane tomorrow, which is important as I need to get back home to pick up my Switch. Priorities, bro.

Danny Dudekisser

The Switch is out today, and that's a weird thing to think about. I'm still not really that excited to play Zelda, but I know it's going to be fuggin' awesome, so I'm sure everything's gonna be lit af when I pick mine up from the office today.

Tain

so re: all this Switch talk, I bought Bomberman since I wanted a local multi game and I'm largely new to that series.

I haven't really dug into it yet, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that Story mode is actually a collection of arcade-structured worlds. You can choose Hard mode right off the bat, too. This sounds fun!

Anybody else in here familiar with the series and have any comments on how it stacks up to other games? Most talk of the game elsewhere on GAF seems to be about how overpriced it is.

Danny Dudekisser

Sounds like you're still drunk as fuck

Lol, I mean, I've been hearing about it for sooooo long now, and I've avoided any of the press coverage about it, so hype levels aren't gonna be that high. But let's be clear, again - that game is gonna end up being my entire fucking weekend. All of it. Nom.

I'll also pick up Bomberman, prolly this weekend. Was gonna grab that when I go to Fry's to buy a new fancy pants keyboard.

Sounds like you're still drunk as fuck

hahaha

Lol, I mean, I've been hearing about it for sooooo long now, and I've avoided any of the press coverage about it, so hype levels aren't gonna be that high. But let's be clear, again - that game is gonna end up being my entire fucking weekend. All of it. Nom.

I'll also pick up Bomberman, prolly this weekend. Was gonna grab that when I go to Fry's to buy a new fancy pants keyboard.
did you grab your copy yet? i'm still waiting for the mailman =)

Danny Dudekisser

I'm pretty sure that, despite being one of the first people to preorder (quick enough that I was the one who posted on GAF that Amazon had preorders up), Amazon fucked this thing up.

anyone know of a good after market wii case? Mine is white and kinda grungey and it'd be nice to replace it with something more subdued.

Peltz

I just want to say, after anticipating Zelda for years and being so hyped up for it since the first footage released back in 2014 (and even before that really when Aonuma first talked about breaking series conventions), I had no idea that this game would exceed my already lofty expectations as much as it does. I just played for 20 straight hours... and I NEVER play more than 2-3 hours at a time these days.

This is the best game I've ever played. And I still haven't even entered a dungeon. I feel like I'm a kid rediscovering games all over again for the first time.

In other news, I'm playing Twilight Princess and this is still the best 3D zelda
that isn't BOTW cause idfk how good that game is

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Congrats to all of you Switchers! Im holding out untill at least june and possibly longer. Going to Paris for work in april and may, and need to get a lot of stuff done before that, and save money too probably. So its all about that extra summer time and money for me and the Switch.

Timu

I just want to say, after anticipating Zelda for years and being so hyped up for it since the first footage released back in 2014 (and even before that really when Aonuma first talked about breaking series conventions), I had no idea that this game would exceed my already lofty expectations as much as it does. I just played for 20 straight hours... and I NEVER play more than 2-3 hours at a time these days.

This is the best game I've ever played. And I still haven't even entered a dungeon. I feel like I'm a kid rediscovering games all over again for the first time.
Yeah, Breath of the Wild is great so far! I played it for hours as well and I usually don't do that nowadays.

D.Lo

My Switch friend code if any RG's wanna add me:

SW-6174-4210-7927

I wasn't too hyped about it, but the game is truly exceptional. I feel like it's taken the best bits of western open-world RPGs and Monster Hunter, and traditional Zelda, and the original Famicom Zelda, folded them all into this new game that all fits together flawlessly.

One thing that sets it far above every other open world game I have played is that it is really fun just to move around, walk/run/climb - it's like Mario 64 in that sense, just the controls are fun.

i haven't really touched the switch after opening it. i think i might return and wait for a revision. still waiting to see all the launch bugs and issues getting worked out plus waiting for more neogeo games. i have a few days =)

i haven't really touched the switch after opening it. i think i might return and wait for a revision. still waiting to see all the launch bugs and issues getting worked out plus waiting for more neogeo games. i have a few days =)
Do it. Every new gaming side thread will feel so validating.

Yes Boss!

Not even a rush Saturday delivery?

Don't feel bad...mine does not get to so cal till Tuesday...then I have to wait for the twin to get back from SF to forward it to me.

Digging BotW on Wii U. Always planned to play it on that system outta respect. Honestly a bit overwhelmed with the game as it opens up so much and I get kinda lost.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I can't believe how freaking HARD Rondo of Blood is. What a slog! I've been spending 5-8 hours mastering a level, getting to the boss without losing a life and trying to have at least 50% health. Then I spend another 2-3 hours trying the boss over and over again and, finally, they've been falling! (
Just beat Death!
)

Reading about where the game goes from here I'm always doubting if I'll be able to beat the game but I know to be patient with myself and not give up unduly. The time may come when I can't go on, but I've got to give myself a shot.

It's like mind-bogglingly tough, y'all.

you mean return it or keep it =)

I mean return it. Honestly Despite wanting a switch (and zelda) quite badly, I can't imagine that early adopters won't feel like they want whatever new revision comes out first. Seems like there's lots of room for improvement. So I'm holding out for a while, either until the first revision or SMTV, whichever is later probably.

That said, your budget is clearly quite a bit larger than mine so maybe you don't need to sweat it.

I mean return it. Honestly Despite wanting a switch (and zelda) quite badly, I can't imagine that early adopters won't feel like they want whatever new revision comes out first. Seems like there's lots of room for improvement. So I'm holding out for a while, either until the first revision or SMTV, whichever is later probably.

That said, your budget is clearly quite a bit larger than mine so maybe you don't need to sweat it.

cool, yeah i'm feeling your thoughts atm... going to see if a few days changes anything. maybe look to get a pc engine duo with the funds if anything.

televator

Yeah, I'm holding off on switch. I like the concept on paper, but the executuion and price of admission seems lacking as of right now. All things considered it'll cost as much as a PS4 pro... which I don't own yet and that has priority at that price point. Glad I got a Wii U to replace my busted one so I can play BotW and get basically the same experience on a TV.

I've been spending a lot of time playing Breath of the Wild the last couple days. It's probably the best executed open world game I've ever played, with a lovely Zelda theme thrown in. They really nail the loot loop, nothing is really useless (as far as I can tell), and the limitations in the game (like the inventory) make finding the hidden stuff really rewarding.

Mostly been doing TV but it plays pretty well on the gamepad as well. I even reconfigured my Wii U position so I could get better coverage on another floor. Was playing while cooking earlier.

Only thing is it's made me realize we'll probably never see a traditional 3D Zelda game ever again, which is kind of sad. There's only been 5 of them and no other game or series has really done that style properly.

I can't believe how freaking HARD Rondo of Blood is. What a slog! I've been spending 5-8 hours mastering a level, getting to the boss without losing a life and trying to have at least 50% health. Then I spend another 2-3 hours trying the boss over and over again and, finally, they've been falling! (
Just beat Death!
)

What's amazing is that it's probably the easiest traditional Castlevania game.

It's also a lot easier on a low-latency display and most importantly if you just stay chill. If you get upset at all you might as well just stop playing.

Top Bottom