• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

I just don't understand the need to go into a thread about something you do not have and do not like and shit on it.

I don't have a PS4, it does not interest me overall. And thus have basically never been in a PS4 thread. Or if I had it would be to say post in a Last Guardian thread 'hmm this has me tempted on a PS4' etc.

Comparison threads sure, and correcting or discussing facts or history in say sales threads, or retro threads, all good. But why is that pro controller thread full of 'Nintendo has been shit for 30 years' types? Who has the time to hate?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Eh, I get the mentality. When I see a thread that's positive about the Xbone or... really, MS generally these days, I can't help but think

379ch.gif=

Like, are they oblivious? Do they have no interest in playing games? I simply must know.

Spladam

Eh, I get the mentality. When I see a thread that's positive about the Xbone or... really, MS generally these days, I can't help but think

379ch.gif=

Like, are they oblivious? Do they have no interest in playing games? I simply must know.
It's how mean and contentious people get here that gets me. I don't understand the lack of desire for rational conversation, people seem to get all in their feelings over this shit. Why take it personally?

I mean from a logical perspective, almost every form of fanboism is just bad from a consumer perspective. We should all be glad our preferred brand has competition, otherwise they'd just rip us off. Look at what's happening with Intel prices now, that's great, same with NVIDIA prices in anticipation of the Vega launch. We should all be grateful the other team is there, and throw them some love for no reason other than pure self interest.

Yes Boss!

Just generational.

A lot is people here only grew up with either MS or Sony. I know far more people who own an Xbox One instead of a PS4. Always confusing. Both systems are rather ho-hum but at least there are more interesting game on the Sony machine. Folks just like what is comfortable.

I consider Wii U retro now. The machine has been effectively shelved. Nice small and seriously stellar library. Very collectible.

D.Lo

If current treads remain, Wii U will be the most expensive retro console of all time in 10-20 years.

I'd be up for unilaterally making a Wii U thread like I did last time. Maybe give it some time for the Zelda heat to die down. Wii's thread was made not that long into Wii U's life.

Yesterday I bought Xenoblade X and Tokyo Mirage Sessions digitally using MyNintendo reward coupons like a fucking chump. I really don't like physical on Wii U so I don't have a ton of options.

BTW I miss Club Nintendo so much. Can't wait till I can talk about that in retro threads.
If current treads remain, Wii U will be the most expensive retro console of all time in 10-20 years.
I just got my bonus; time to finally pick up a backup Wii U? $260 Canadian funny money just in case my kid ever destroys the gamepad?

Danny Dudekisser

Ok. NOW Zelda has its hooks in me. Honestly, the comparison I'd make is Metroid Prime. Not because the structure or atmosphere is anything alike, but because it's got that same feeling of mystery that MP had back in 2002. Holy shit.

D.Lo

Ok. NOW Zelda has its hooks in me. Honestly, the comparison I'd make is Metroid Prime. Not because the structure or atmosphere is anything alike, but because it's got that same feeling of mystery that MP had back in 2002. Holy shit.
Yep great comparison.

Also like Metroid Prime, it's immersive without being afraid to be a video game. You still get floating heart container items, puzzles etc.

And while not state of the art graphically like MP was in 2002 , it is top tier in terms of the world being both intricately designed yet feeling lived-in.

IrishNinja

oh yeah, been saying this since we saw the GC spike - it's gonna get nasty for some of those titles, hell some lower print stuff already jumped a bit. still bummed i can't find a walmart liquidating Tokyo Mirage for $15, i'm thinking after i do it's down to Mario Maker (less likely for a switch port, maybe?) and DK tropical freeze for a tenner. i missed the boat on cheap Game & Wario too.

Timu

My god...thank god I'm getting a lot of it's exclusives.

So what you're saying is I should pull all of my money out of savings and buy every Wii U game?
Pretty much if you want to save your wallet in the future.

oh yeah, been saying this since we saw the GC spike - it's gonna get nasty for some of those titles, hell some lower print stuff already jumped a bit. still bummed i can't find a walmart liquidating Tokyo Mirage for $15, i'm thinking after i do it's down to Mario Maker (less likely for a switch port, maybe?) and DK tropical freeze for a tenner. i missed the boat on cheap Game & Wario too.
Gamecube just got nasty with some games!

Yes Boss!

Yep great comparison.

Also like Metroid Prime, it's immersive without being afraid to be a video game. You still get floating heart container items, puzzles etc.

And while not state of the art graphically like MP was in 2002 , it is top tier in terms of the world being both intricately designed yet feeling lived-in.

It is also damn hardcore. About thirty hours in and I'm guessing maybe a fifth done with the main story and just starting to get a handle on it. Just continuing to explore the massive world. Big and detailed like GTAV just way more interesting because it is Hyrule and not assy LA.

Pretty much this, titles like Bayonetta 2 with 1 and 2 are going to make Rondo of Blood look positively cheap.

I REALLY want to try and get an inexpensive backup console now because by that point they're going to be too damn expensive.

Peltz

Yes, but...
It's better than Metroid Prime.

I think the Switch remasters of WiiU titles will keep collector interest low.

That's a good point if Nintendo goes that route. I wouldn't mind if they did. So many great games were locked to hardware that the market didn't like (I didn't mind it though... Wii U was good to me).

For the games where Switch versions exist, sure. I doubt there will be Switch versions of Bayonetta or W101. But in general, I agree. Gaming today is designed to scale. It's not like the 2D or early 3D era where a rerelease isn't the same experience and oftentimes worse. If I have the choice in the future between a Wii U game and a Switch game where the only difference is resolution or texture quality then I will opt for the Switch version. There's no reason outside of rarity or some other bullshit collector mindset to opt for the Wii U version unless the developer screws up.

That said, I already have nearly every exclusive or interesting Wii U game so in my case this discussion is pointless.

Fularu

Banned
I already own all the important titles on it (I own like 50 games) so I'll be good

And laugh in the face of those who believed there would be a fire sale

I already own all the important titles on it (I own like 50 games) so I'll be good

And laugh in the face of those who believed there would be a fire sale

Was there even a fire sale of Virtual Boy? I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't completely erased its existence.

Thing is, we've seen this movie before and we know that's not really the case. Lots of digital releases and remakes of classic NES and SNES games available but the originals still command decent prices. Doesn't matter if they've been often re-released (like the original Zelda games) or newly put out in digital format after long being scarce (like Earthbound). Prices fluctuate some, but collectors gonna collect and therefore prices will remain stable. Only when everyone decides that old video games - or video games in general - just aren't cool any more will see the prices ease. I just don't see it happening. Old ass stuff like 2600 games have gone up and then back down but I think something that's highly playable and fun like Wii U games will keep some decent value over the coming years.

KC-Slater

what really? i need to return the copy i just brought and get that

edit i don't see it on nintendo.com

Ah, it's offline (sold out?) now :(

It was weird -- the Special Edition was cheaper than the regular copy (which is still listed at $74.99 Canadian it looks like.) I gabbed it and Mario Tennis (which was $33) on Friday.

Had Star Fox been $40 on Friday as well, I would've scooped it up, too, just to round off my Wii U collection more than anything else.

Ah, it's offline (sold out?) now :(

It was weird -- the Special Edition was cheaper than the regular copy (which is still listed at $74.99 Canadian it looks like.) I gabbed it and Mario Tennis (which was $33) on Friday.

Had Star Fox been $40 on Friday as well, I would've scooped it up, too, just to round off my Wii U collection more than anything else.

ah false hope, they dumped it all on ebay a few days ago. i thought there was more stock.
thanks anyway =)

Peltz

Was there even a fire sale of Virtual Boy? I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't completely erased its existence.
Yes. Virtual Boy dropped to $50 at Toys-R-Us which was when I was able to get my parents to buy me one.

If only I knew jack bros. was so damn good I would've asked for that instead of Mario clash :-/

Ps. Mario Clash is underrated as hell.

By the way, how is Game and Wario? I've been meaning to grab that for years now.

KC-Slater

I've been double-dipping on a few Wii U titles that I had digitally just to own the physical as well.

Dummies have been trading in their collections to EB/Mom-& Pop's for what I presume is Switch credit, so now is the golden era to grab Wii U stuff cheap. Supply arguably won't be as disproportionate to demand as it is right now, in the shadow of the Switch release window.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm curious if we'll actually see a lot of WiiU games re-released on Switch. I understand that I'm largely insane, but I'd be willing to shell out full price for re-releases of a lot of stuff. Particularly the platformers.

Though, I'm still holding out for Wii stuff, namely a re-release of Xenoblade (the original) and DKC Returns... those games need an upgrade.

Xenoblade and DKC Returns play really well on Wii.

A resolution bump really wouldn't benefit either game. I get the complaints about blurriness when scaled on a modern TV but when games are designed around that resolution the low-res itself really isn't a problem.

I actually prefer the way Xenoblade looks at 480 on Wii rather than playing it at higher resolutions. The low res works well with the art to hide some of the compromises Monolith made to make that game exist on Wii at all. I've been finding similar things comparing HD remakes on PS3 to their PS2 counterparts; in a LOT of cases things just look oddly nicer on a real PS2 even in games that only do 480i.

Xenoblade and DKC Returns play really well on Wii.

A resolution bump really wouldn't benefit either game. I get the complaints about blurriness when scaled on a modern TV but when games are designed around that resolution the low-res itself really isn't a problem.

I actually prefer the way Xenoblade looks at 480 on Wii than playing it at higher resolutions. The low res works well with the art to hide some of the compromises Monolith made to make that game exist on Wii at all. I've been finding similar things comparing HD remakes on PS3 to their PS2 counterparts; in a LOT of cases things just look oddly nicer on a real PS2 even in games that only do 480i.

i totally forgot that i have xenoblade wii and haven't tried it on my BVM. played wii long ago on my 60' kuro and just been using the wii over BVM for VC super metroid 240p and gamecube stuff. thanks for reminding me, i'm going to try it.

edit: nvm it's been so long i thought wii was only 480p

Wii can run in 480i but you get letterboxed in a lot of games on a 4:3 display and lose a lot of vertical resolution (not sure if this is the case for Xenoblade specifically).

A 16:9 CRT would look pretty sweet for Wii.

Wii can run in 480i but you get letterboxed in a lot of games on a 4:3 display and lose a lot of vertical resolution (not sure if this is the case for Xenoblade specifically).

A 16:9 CRT would look pretty sweet for Wii.

thx for the info. question: Wii U is only hdmi and lowest output 480p correct? just trying to see, if i get one, where to set it up.

thx for the info. question: Wii U is only hdmi and 480p correct? just trying to see, if i get one, where to set it up.

Wii U has HDMI as well as the same AV out the Wii has.

It can do 480i but you're really not going to want to go there for Wii U games. AFAIK everything is letterboxed. Wii games on Wii U is not so bad like that but it can't output 240p for VC or whatever else, and again depending on the game it could be full screen or letterboxed.

Wii U has HDMI as well as the same AV out the Wii has.

It can do 480i but you're really not going to want to go there for Wii U games. AFAIK everything is letterboxed. Wii games on Wii U is not so bad like that but it can't output 240p for VC or whatever else, and again depending on the game it could be full screen or letterboxed.

thanks! if i can find one at a decent price, i'll set up the wii u on the hdtv.

Grab that if you can. Also, don't sleep on W101. It's a really cool action game.

what's cool is the guy is coming to meet me in front of my doorman saving me a 30 min trip. he sent me photos and it looks pretty clean. going to test it out in the lobby of my building before handing over the cash.

will take pics and put it if all goes well.

anything fishy to look for while testing wii U (banned console or something?)

Top Bottom