• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

what i played of game & wario felt a bit like a warioware game, and i love those. also $30 for star fox total package ain't bad, but ehhh it can wait

you know which one needs more love? toad's treasure tracker, that game's fantastic. also congrats on the deal dave!

NDPsycho

update: i found a potential deal for a boxed wii u for 150. pretty excited if it works out.

You could also go for a refurb from nintendo for 200. Many report getting what appear to be new ones that are likely those recalled from stores with a refurb sticker slapped on the box. It's just the internal white box, doesn't include the outer sleeve, but still. Pretty sure mine was new, not a mark on it and everything was still sealed.

Another game to try and find now is Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympics. Price is starting to climb. If you think that game isn't worth it, don't look at hello kitty kruisers or whatever it's called.

NDPsycho

what i played of game & wario felt a bit like a warioware game, and i love those. also $30 for star fox total package ain't bad, but ehhh it can wait

you know which one needs more love? toad's treasure tracker, that game's fantastic. also congrats on the deal dave!

Toad is great, and probably not a likely candidate for a remaster. Would be surprised to see switch versions of kirby or starfox too, but who knows.

gamepad is clean but the console looked scratched up in person that didn't come out in the photos he sent, so i offered him 120 and told him i'll pass if he can't but he took it.

he seemed genuinely a nice guy bc he drove all the way down to my place so i thought 120 for a boxed system with everything ain't too bad.

i definitely didn't want to pay 200 or 250 for one but happy that it's closer to 100.
i'm going to see if i can clean it up before posting pics later.

now i can finally play xeno X

Yes Boss!

Another game to try and find now is Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympics. Price is starting to climb. If you think that game isn't worth it, don't look at hello kitty kruisers or whatever it's called.

My store here still has copies of Rio on the shelf so I picked it up knowing I always aimed for a complete first-party Wii U collection.

And I finally finished the NA retail collection by picking up Color Splash, Pokken, Sing, and Ninja Gaiden. I'm happy with it all after four years.

NDPsycho

My store here still has copies of Rio on the shelf so I picked it up knowing I always aimed for a complete first-party Wii U collection.

And I finally finished the NA retail collection by picking up Color Splash, Pokken, Sing, and Ninja Gaiden. I'm happy with it all after four years.

Good job on the collection. I'm only sitting at 52 Wii U titles, not sure how many more I'll pick up. Avoided a lot of multi-platform, but I could see myself getting a few more before I'm done.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've probably got 25 or so WiiU games. I've got pretty much everything I want... with the exception of 1 or 2 stragglers. I'm still on the fence about Star Fox, too. I want to like it, but I've heard it kinda sucks.

IrishNinja

yeah, checked last night and i have about 17-18 WU games (same as the PS4), i could definitely see another 5-10. really not at all a bad library given how little 3rd parties showed up for it!

televator

I've probably got 25 or so WiiU games. I've got pretty much everything I want... with the exception of 1 or 2 stragglers. I'm still on the fence about Star Fox, too. I want to like it, but I've heard it kinda sucks.

I'm in the same boat with SF. Tired of being let down by the series and being a U game makes the price something hard to swallow if I don't like it. I wish I could rent it from RB like I could a PS4 game.

This is what I heard and why I waited till it was on super sale to get it but then it ended up being one of my favorite games I played at the time. Maybe it was lowered expectations but I really enjoyed it and thought there was something wrong with me with how universally disliked it seemed to be. Even the controls I thought were great, and not in a "you get use to working with them fighting you" kind of way, but in a "this is amazing and I'm happy it works this way (not going to lie, I did have to reset them and recenter them while playing a bunch though).

Anyway, WiiU was a great system and I was really hoping to pick up a couple discounted new ones to save for later so I don't have to pay someone 20 years for now for the only way to play some of the games on it if mine breaks. Though I guess there is only a few games (like Star Fox Zero) that can only really be played/be played the best way on it. I defiantly liked it more then my ps4 even and have more games on it as well, not counting all the free psn+ games. Too bad about it not catching on. :c

I have 2 physical and 17 non-indie digital Wii U games.

I have missed out on a lot since new games got stupid expensive and you know Nintendo sales are awful. Paying $80 plus tax for Zelda did not feel good, I think other than Mario Maker it's the only time I've ever spent more than $60 for a game for this system or any system, so it's been almost 3 years since I kept up on new releases. Been playing catch up when things go on (usually not much off) sales.

I still haven't bought Smash Wii U or 3DS btw and all the DLC I'd need to get makes it hard to even bother. Still waiting on that complete version. Oh well I still have that copy of Melee.

I also need to get Game and Wario, Nintendo Land, Pushmo World, Dr Luigi, Bayonetta 2, Star Fox Zero, Pokken, and Paper Mario and after that I think I should be good.

Yes Boss!

i have 3 games.. i have to catch up to everyone =)

Counted mine.

I have 43 games. Mostly first party with a couple of the third-party games like Sonic Lost World and Rodea. Three Wii U systems, including a Japanese White one for fun. I think the last game I might wanna get is the Steamworld disc. VC has been fairly decent with the highlights being some of the GBA releases. Easily one of my favorite Nintendo systems...rank it up there with the SNES/SFC and Wii.

I really do think collectors will cotton to it over the coming years. Just so quirky and goofy.

IrishNinja

I really do think collectors will cotton to it over the coming years. Just so quirky and goofy.

exactly - some fun experimental stuff, and a lot of top tier 2D platformers as well

lotta gems that aren't likely to be ported elsewhere either...the GC remakes (and incoming WU ones) show that nintendo will double dip, but typically only on the biggest properties.

in the next decade i expect elevated prices and a metric fuckton of YT videos about HIDDEN WII-U GEMZ

ok retroGAF, cleaned it up.
I'm going to use the scratch removal tutorial that i posted for CD/DVD games on this system.
I'll post some after shots when i'm done.

anyways, here it is:
7coqyVC.jpg

ok, here's some preliminary results of scratch removal process:

Wii U console top
before:

after:

i took multiple shots at many lighting angles to capture the scratches before starting and multiple lighting angles after:
Wii U console bottom
before:
application:
after:

it's still a work in progress
there are a few deep scratches that i need to sand down with an abrasive before buffing,
but i got a lot of the hazing and swirls out in just a few minutes.

Counted mine.

I have 43 games. Mostly first party with a couple of the third-party games like Sonic Lost World and Rodea. Three Wii U systems, including a Japanese White one for fun. I think the last game I might wanna get is the Steamworld disc. VC has been fairly decent with the highlights being some of the GBA releases. Easily one of my favorite Nintendo systems...rank it up there with the SNES/SFC and Wii.

i didn't have a chance to see this last night bc i was scrubbing so hard.

damn 43!?! how many games are there for Wii U? i only see like a handful on the rack at my local gamestop.

I've had a Wii U since launch and I think it is a hunk of shit. If it didn't have Smash Brothers, I would have hit it with a hammer years ago for the sheer thrill of expunging useless trash from the planet Earth.

The system is a WASTE.

The Wii U Gamepad is a godless abomination. Amiibos are responsible for Zika. The Gamecube controller adapter donates to NAMBLA.

Lateral thinking with withered technology is a stupid philosophy to be an adherent of in 2017. No other game company can get away with charging money for an adapter and controllers from a console from 2002.

You want your switch? Here's the real switch:

The on/off switch on the front of the Core Grafx II.

I've had a Wii U since launch and I think it is a hunk of shit. If it didn't have Smash Brothers, I would have hit it with a hammer years ago for the sheer thrill of expunging useless trash from the planet Earth.

The system is a WASTE.

The Wii U Gamepad is a godless abomination. Amiibos are responsible for Zika. The Gamecube controller adapter donates to NAMBLA.

Lateral thinking with withered technology is a stupid philosophy to be an adherent of in 2017. No other game company can get away with charging money for an adapter and controllers from a console from 2002.

You want your switch? Here's the real switch:

The on/off switch on the front of the Core Grafx II.
yo, i accept trash for free, don't hammer, please send it over =)

NDPsycho

The system is a WASTE.

Nothing is going to appeal to everyone, but I have rarely had more fun gaming than the time I spent playing Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Mario 3D with my kids. I would agree that this has more to do with the games than the system itself. I even agree that the tablet might be unnecessary for most of the games, but it wasn't a waste. I need there to be a home console to play their games on, and this did the job.

Nothing is going to appeal to everyone, but I have rarely had more fun gaming than the time I spent playing Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, and Mario 3D with my kids. I would agree that this has more to do with the games than the system itself. I even agree that the tablet might be unnecessary for most of the games, but it wasn't a waste. I need there to be a home console to play their games on, and this did the job.

Yeah, I really don't hate it as much as my post made it seem. I still play it once or twice a month, since I'm charged with bringing mine, my GC adapter, and smash bros 4 to friend gatherings so we can jam. I went off on some Tim Heidecker-ass rant triggered by the sudden and immediate claim that the Wii U is retro.

System legit just had a game come out for it last Friday.

Not retro. Not good. Not cool. Still, go ahead and drive those prices up so the price barrier of entry is too high for anybody to suffer that GARBAGE.

Yes Boss!

i didn't have a chance to see this last night bc i was scrubbing so hard.

damn 43!?! how many games are there for Wii U? i only see like a handful on the rack at my local gamestop.

Here is a list of 1st Party stuff (NA market). Your mileage will vary but at least 15 of them are must-haves...marked with asterix:

Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
*Bayonetta 1+2
*Captain Toad
Devil's Third
*Donkey King Country TP
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
*Kirby Rainbow Curse
*LoZ Twilight HD
*LoZ Windwaker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario and Sonic Rio
Mario and Sonic Sochi
*Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis
NES Remix
*New Luigi U
*New Mario U
Ninja Gaiden 3: RE
Nintendoland
Paper Mario Color Splash
*Pikmin 3
Pokken
Sing Party
*Splatoon
*Star Fox
*Super Mario 3D World
*Super Mario Maker
*Super Smash Bros U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
Wonderful 101
*Xenobkade X
*Yoshi Wooly World
*LoZ: Breath if the Wild.

And, yeah, the system is obviously not retro but it is a good time to grab some of the must-have titles since the system and catalog has ended.

Here is a list of 1st Party stuff (NA market). Your mileage will vary but at least 15 of them are must-haves...marked with asterix:

Animal Crissing Amiibo Festival
*Bayonetta 1+2
*Captain Toad
Devil's Third
*Donkey King Country TP
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
*Kirby Rainbow Curse
*LoZ Twilight HD
*LoZ Windwaker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario and Sonic Rio
Mario and Sonic Sochi

*Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis
NES Remix
*New Luigi U
*New Mario U
Nintendoland
Paper Mario Color Splash
*Pikmin 3
Pokken
Sing Party
*Splatoon
*Star Fox
*Super Mario 3D World
*Super Mario Maker
*Super Smash Bros U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
Wonderful 101
*Xenobkade X

*Yoshi Wooly World

I'm pretty sure these aren't 1st party.

Fularu

Banned

*Bayonetta 1+2
*Captain Toad
Devil's Third
*Donkey King Country TP
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
*Kirby Rainbow Curse
*LoZ Twilight HD
*LoZ Windwaker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario and Sonic Rio
Mario and Sonic Sochi
*Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis
NES Remix
*New Luigi U
*New Mario U
Nintendoland
Paper Mario Color Splash
*Pikmin 3
Pokken
Sing Party
*Splatoon
*Star Fox
*Super Mario 3D World
*Super Mario Maker
*Super Smash Bros U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
Wonderful 101
*Xenobkade X
*Yoshi Wooly World

And, yeah, the system is obviously not retro but it is a good time to grab some of the must-have titles since the system and catalog has ended.

I own 34 of those...

Damn

I'm pretty sure these aren't 1st party.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade, Pokken, Wonderful 101 and Hyrule Warriors are first party offerings (second for Wonderfull, Pokken and Hyrule if you want to be anal about it despite the fact that Nintendo staff co developped most of those games).

This weird distinction between first party/second party really has no place.

NDPsycho

Not retro. Not good. Not cool. Still, go ahead and drive those prices up so the price barrier of entry is too high for anybody to suffer that GARBAGE.

I agree it's not retro yet. Prices aren't going to be driven up from our few comments here though. This is just fellow enthusiasts on a board trying to help each other stay ahead of the curve if anyone is interested in it. Prices are likely going to rise just because of how poorly it all sold compared to its contemporaries and even other Nintendo systems. Supply is low. Unless there is a sharp decrease in Nintendo fans, demand will probably be there.

As it's not retro, I'll stop discussing it here and contributing to derailing things.

It's not retro but an appreciation/collecting thread would clearly be useful. It's a nice way to talk with a non-awful crowd about something maybe under appreciated.

I don't really know why we need to wait for things to be super old for that to happen, especially as stores are likely going to be liquidating Wii U stuff in the near future.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade, Pokken, Wonderful 101 and Hyrule Warriors are first party offerings (second for Wonderfull, Pokken and Hyrule if you want to be anal about it despite the fact that Nintendo staff co developped most of those games).

This weird distinction between first party/second party really has no place.

I guess I'm unclear on what constitutes first party. In the case of Wonderful 101, it was developed entirely by Platinum, so because it's exclusive to Wii U and published by Nintendo, that makes it first party?

I was under the impression first party games developed by Nintendo and/or Nintendo subsidiaries AND published by them would be first party.

Yes Boss!

I guess I'm unclear on what constitutes first party. In the case of Wonderful 101, it was developed entirely by Platinum, so because it's exclusive to Wii U and published by Nintendo, that makes it first party?

I was under the impression first party games developed by Nintendo and/or Nintendo subsidiaries AND published by them would be first party.

First-party games are one published by Nintendo. Nintendo had a financial interest and co-developed them all with a couple minor exceptions like Hyrule and Ninja Gaiden. Second-party is rather meaningless and always has been. I also track first party as titles on Nintendo's quarterly release schedule. Snipperclips is a first party, for example. There is no difference between Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's not retro but an appreciation/collecting thread would clearly be useful. It's a nice way to talk with a non-awful crowd about something maybe under appreciated.

I don't really know why we need to wait for things to be super old for that to happen, especially as stores are likely going to be liquidating Wii U stuff in the near future.

Actually, I like that idea. Sorta like how RetroGAF tends to be isolated from the bullshit, a collector's thread for people who want to be able to discuss stuff like... I dunno, Gravity Rush Remastered going OOP and becoming expensive outta nowhere?

Also: The Switch Pro Controller is sooooooo fucking good. I love the big buttons, the sticks feel just right, the d-pad is great, the weight is perfect. They nailed it.

*Bayonetta 1+2
*Captain Toad
Devil's Third
*Donkey King Country TP
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
*Kirby Rainbow Curse
*LoZ Twilight HD
*LoZ Windwaker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario and Sonic Rio
Mario and Sonic Sochi
*Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis
NES Remix
*New Luigi U
*New Mario U
Nintendoland
Paper Mario Color Splash
*Pikmin 3
Pokken
Sing Party
*Splatoon
*Star Fox
*Super Mario 3D World
*Super Mario Maker
*Super Smash Bros U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
Wonderful 101
*Xenobkade X
*Yoshi Wooly World

nice collection. awesome, i'm going to look for the starred games.

IrishNinja

Actually, I like that idea. Sorta like how RetroGAF tends to be isolated from the bullshit, a collector's thread for people who want to be able to discuss stuff like... I dunno, Gravity Rush Remastered going OOP and becoming expensive outta nowhere?

i like that idea too, but honestly, this is kinda a catch-all thread so i don't mind having that stuff here. i know it's not retro but we've a good crowd, and people talking about future classics/ones that will be hard to obtain fit the bill in a weird way, too.

also from yes boss' list, here's what im lacking:

*Donkey King Country TP - i swear ill catch this for a tenner
Game & Wario - same
*Mario Kart 8 - think im just gonna go for the switch one at this point
*Splatoon - same, though it's a sequel there i think
*Star Fox - ehhh still not sold on this but i should play it
*Super Mario Maker - i don't really know how this would be ported without the tablet, so i'm keepin an eye out but i don't know what a good price for this one is
Tokyo Mirage Sessions - hnnnghhh damn you, walmarts

KC-Slater

First-party games are one published by Nintendo. Nintendo had a financial interest and co-developed them all with a couple minor exceptions like Hyrule and Ninja Gaiden. Second-party is rather meaningless and always has been. I also track first party as titles on Nintendo's quarterly release schedule. Snipperclips is a first party, for example. There is no difference between Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101.

I had always interpreted second-party (using Nintendo as the example) as Nintendo published, but developed outside of Nintendo, but with perhaps the aid of Nintendo resources (financial, staffing or otherwise.) First-party being Nintendo developed and published, and third-party being neither of the two.

Top Bottom