• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Rydeen

Cross-post that was meant to go in here:

I'm in Kawasaki, just South of Tokyo and ran into this cool sight: A Taito service truck with a broken pinball machine in the back. Awesome to see a reminder of just how deep Japan's game culture goes.

fb_img_1489114089915d8ydp.jpg

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Sure there is, BestBuy here has a fantastic Wii U firesale going on:

Seriously though, Nintendo's Online Store in US/Canada has a pretty good price on Star Fox Zero.

How hard is it to play NA-games on a pal-machine? Seriously considering getting this since the pal double pack is way more expensive.

Galdelico

15 years ago it was $1 on ebay. I think I got it for $5 delivered from Japan lol.

So true. :/
And too bad - 15 years ago - I was under the incorrect assumption (still based on old reviews I guess) that the Saturn version of RX3 was best to be avoided. Today, it kinda hurts having Rockman 8, X3 and X4 in my Saturn wishlist and seeing those prices, every time complete copies pop up on eBay.

So true. :/
And too bad - 15 years ago - I was under the incorrect assumption (still based on old reviews I guess) that the Saturn version of RX3 was best to be avoided. Today, it kinda hurts having Rockman 8, X3 and X4 in my Saturn wishlist and seeing those prices, every time complete copies pop up on eBay.

*hugs Saturn Mega Man games*
saturn.jpg

So, so glad I got them all before prices got mad. Even the Snes stuff which was none to cheap back in the day but is even worse now. I really need to get back to my Capcom collection when I have the chance, I still need to track down Darkwing Duck for the NES ...

Jaeger

saturn.jpg

So, so glad I got them all before prices got mad. Even the Snes stuff which was none to cheap back in the day but is even worse now. I really need to get back to my Capcom collection when I have the chance, I still need to track down Darkwing Duck for the NES ...

Yea. The pricing now is ridiculous. Im still looking for a non-pack version of X4 on Saturn, complete.

My goodness... That X4 Special Pack is untouchable, nowadays.

I'm actually a bit annoyed with the condition, I'd love to get a better one - the box has seen better days, I actually replaced the game itself as the manual was water damaged (lucky I managed to find the pack in game being sold loose on eBay, as it actually does have a slightly different manual to the normal Saturn version).
I think the Playstation version of the special pack is rarer still, and thankfully my PS copy is in perfect condition (including the box and unmade model kit).

I'm in Kawasaki, just South of Tokyo and ran into this cool sight: A Taito service truck with a broken pinball machine in the back. Awesome to see a reminder of just how deep Japan's game culture goes.

I love Taito's logo.

Do you have an instagram or something? I would follow, lol.

saturn.jpg

that looks nice.... i guess i'll have to stick with the psx ones due to price... =/
the only thing i have that's collectible is the little anthology booklet that comes with megaman 8 psx.

that looks nice.... i guess i'll have to stick with the psx ones due to price... =/
the only thing i have that's collectible is the little anthology booklet that comes with megaman 8 psx.

That booklet has gotten hard to find as well, so its great that you still have yours :) Took me ages to track one down for myself.

saturn.jpg

This is the first time I've ever heard of Super Adventure Rockman

Peltz

Here is a list of 1st Party stuff (NA market). Your mileage will vary but at least 15 of them are must-haves...marked with asterix:

Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival
*Bayonetta 1+2
*Captain Toad
Devil's Third
*Donkey King Country TP
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
*Kirby Rainbow Curse
*LoZ Twilight HD
*LoZ Windwaker HD
Lego City Undercover
Mario and Sonic Rio
Mario and Sonic Sochi
*Mario Kart 8
Mario Party 10
Mario Tennis
NES Remix
*New Luigi U
*New Mario U
Ninja Gaiden 3: RE
Nintendoland
Paper Mario Color Splash
*Pikmin 3
Pokken
Sing Party
*Splatoon
*Star Fox
*Super Mario 3D World
*Super Mario Maker
*Super Smash Bros U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Wii Fit U
Wii Party U
Wii Sports Club
Wonderful 101
*Xenobkade X
*Yoshi Wooly World
*LoZ: Breath if the Wild.

And, yeah, the system is obviously not retro but it is a good time to grab some of the must-have titles since the system and catalog has ended.

Wonderful 101 deserves a star on that list. It's a fantastic action game.

i like that idea too, but honestly, this is kinda a catch-all thread so i don't mind having that stuff here. i know it's not retro but we've a good crowd, and people talking about future classics/ones that will be hard to obtain fit the bill in a weird way, too.

also from yes boss' list, here's what im lacking:

*Donkey King Country TP - i swear ill catch this for a tenner
Game & Wario - same
*Mario Kart 8 - think im just gonna go for the switch one at this point
*Splatoon - same, though it's a sequel there i think
*Star Fox - ehhh still not sold on this but i should play it
*Super Mario Maker - i don't really know how this would be ported without the tablet, so i'm keepin an eye out but i don't know what a good price for this one is
Tokyo Mirage Sessions - hnnnghhh damn you, walmarts

Star Fox is really a mixed bag. There's so much right and so much wrong with that package. The controls, however, aren't as bad as people make them seem. The non-arwing sections on the other hand are just not well made.

Speaking of Rockman, I finally bought copies of X1,2,3 for Super Famicom. I thought I was OK with just having all 3 on Wii U but I was playing around with them while waiting for Zelda to download last week and the latency in that emulator was really bugging me.

I should also really track down a copy of X6. I don't think that one is ever going to go up on PSN. I had it when I was a kid so I don't care what anyone says that game is great. :)

I would say Hyrule Warriors too except that the 3DS version is better.

Speaking of Rockman, I finally bought copies of X1,2,3 for Super Famicom. I thought I was OK with just having all 3 on Wii U but I was playing around with them while waiting for Zelda to download last week and the latency in that emulator was really bugging me.

I should also really track down a copy of X6. I don't think that one is ever going to go up on PSN. I had it when I was a kid so I don't care what anyone says that game is great. :)

X6? X4 was the last game. I don't know what you're talking about.

I'm at just under 40 Wii U physical titles. There's a few more I'd like to get but other stuff keeps being more pressing. I have some digital stuff, like Donkey Kong cause I got it free from Club Nintendo, and Ducktales, NES Remix 1 and 2, Shovel Knight because I bought them before physical releases happened. Others digitally it's just digital only titles, if I can get it physical I do.

Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed IV
Arkham City
Arkham Origins
Bayonetta 1 + 2
Call of Duty Ghosts
Captain Toad Treasure Trackers
Darksiders II
Game & Wario
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Legend of Zelda Twilight Prince HD
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker HD
Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
New Super Luigi Bros
New Super Mario Bros
Nintendoland
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge
Paper Mario Color Splash
Pikmin 3
Rabbids Land
Rayman Legends
Rodea
Snoopy's Adventure
Splatoon
Starfox Guard
Starfox Zero
Super Mario 3-D World
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros Wii U
The Wonderful 101
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Wooly World
Zombi U

Yes Boss!

For sure. It was just a personal favorites list. I also don't much like Tropical Freeze. But decided to put one of them on there. All said and done., there are at least a dozen bonafide games in the catalog whatever one's taste may be. Plus a couple third-party titles that are fun.

Galdelico

X6? X4 was the last game. I don't know what you're talking about.
As in, 5 and 6 aren't worth playing or even mentioning?

I'm not a huge MM fan/player, so my collection is full of holes... I own Rockman X5 (PS1) and then X7 (PS2... The one that comes with the Rockman Collection 'pizza box'), but I still have to sit down and take some time with them, especially the former.

I'm not a huge MM fan/player, so my collection is full of holes... I own Rockman X5 (PS1) and then X7 (PS2... The one that comes with the Rockman Collection 'pizza box'), but I still have to sit down and take some time with them, especially the former.

Inafune disappeared following the release of Mega Man X4 and was never heard from again.

Merkunt

Hello RetroGAF;

Has anyone here bought Neo Contra on Europe PS STORE? If you did, I'd like to know if it's the NTSC version and how bothersome is the emulator's input lag.

Thanks in advance.

Jaeger

I like X5 and X6. The storyline was supposed to end at 5. Its X7 and X8 I dont care for.

To be serious, X5 is okay. It just doesn't add anything and I see no reason for it to exist when the earlier titles are just as good or better. X6 is when things start to get bad.

Mega Man needs a Doom style story not whatever the hell they tried to do to the series as it progressed. Zero was a great character because he had a sword, long hair, and a heavy metal theme song. When they started to focus on making an anime about Zero instead of a clever action platforming game the series died.

To be serious, X5 is okay. It just doesn't add anything and I see no reason for it to exist when the earlier titles are just as good or better. X6 is when things start to get bad.

Mega Man needs a Doom style story not whatever the hell they tried to do to the series as it progressed. Zero was a great character because he had a sword, long hair, and a heavy metal theme song. When they started to focus on making an anime about Zero instead of a clever action platforming game the series died.

i heard x7 is not great but x8 is pretty good, any thoughts on it?

So you're telling me you deeply care about the story in Mega Man?

Jaeger

I love the storyline in Mega Man. Zero via awesome which is why he gets alot of the focus and the amazing spin off games.

Speaking of the megaman/rockman games, I picked up the Megaman 2 PSX port recently for a good price. Don't have a nes (and don't intend to get one) so it's nice to have. Might pick up 3 soon, too.

Speaking of the megaman/rockman games, I picked up the Megaman 2 PSX port recently for a good price. Don't have a nes (and don't intend to get one) so it's nice to have. Might pick up 3 soon, too.

They are pretty much the best versions of the games in my opinion (the Playstation versions). Added arranged soundtracks for 4-6 (1-3 just get a few tracks from the arcade games), added difficulty levels, Pocket Station support, Navi mode etc. plus they look great when played on a Playstation via RGB on a CRT TV.

Plus The more recent collections have all had minor issues that stopped them from being the definitive choice for me - the PS2/GC/Xbox versions had bad image quality for some reason (graphics look blurred or smudged, very muddy image quality in my opinion), some sound effects are ruined (especially on 7 and 8) and of course the GC version had control issues.
The more recent Legacy Collection was better in some respects, graphic quality was better but sometimes I did get a hint of lag in the controls, I did love the challenge mode very much though.

Still, its either the Playstation or Famicom originals (on a modded RGB AV Famicom) for me, for best visual quality and controls/content.

D.Lo

I had a chance to grab the Wii U version of BOTW for about half price so got a copy because I was curious about how it ran, I love seeing systems pushed to their limit.

If it was the only version you had it would be very impressive. Certainly early on (isolated plateau) it seems near identical, just a bit more saturated (probably just the RGB range) and 720p.

But once you get past there, then compare it to the Switch, Switch is clearly a vastly better performing game. Massive gain in clarity due to the resolution bump in high detail areas (eg Kakariko), textures are clearer looking further into the distance, and performance is basically doubled in the same areas (from 15-20fps to mostly solid 30 with some very momentary dips, almost more like glitches than drops).

It's super clear this game was designed around Wii U limitations, load times from disc are very good for this type of game, and probably the biggest graphical limit - the detail disappearing for distant areas, is identical in both versions. The Switch clearly has a lot more juice than Zelda needs and they've ported it quickly.

I grabbed the 3DS version, I only have a N3DS and it was still 15-20fps.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I bought Super Bomberman R. Dunno when I'll play it, because Zelda is so goddamn good, but I've got it. And I'll have Binding of Isaac next week. This system feels like a modern Super Nintendo in terms of the games it's getting... it's kinda weird. The difference, of course, being that I'm smart enough this time to know what's good and I have the money to buy it all.

IrishNinja

^ive been kinda thinking similar, im grabbing Blaster Master Neo & possibly Shock Troopers tonight and waiting on BOI on sale. keep looking at Sonic Mania, wonderboys, ToeJam & Earl and stuff like that and thinking this is gonna be that spot for all of that for me

D.Lo

I bought Super Bomberman R. Dunno when I'll play it, because Zelda is so goddamn good, but I've got it. And I'll have Binding of Isaac next week. This system feels like a modern Super Nintendo in terms of the games it's getting... it's kinda weird. The difference, of course, being that I'm smart enough this time to know what's good and I have the money to buy it all.
That's what this article from January is about actually:

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2017/01/14/was-the-switch-designed-for-the-malstrom-gamer/

The idea being that the Switch is being pushed, at least initially, as a way to capture lapsed gamers of the type being drawn into the retro boom.

the PS2/GC/Xbox versions had bad image quality for some reason (graphics look blurred or smudged, very muddy image quality in my opinion), some sound effects are ruined (especially on 7 and 8) and of course the GC version had control issues.
Yeah I like this version. I'm not sure if there's any additional lag (might be 1 frame, but I can't tell). I've got my PS2 using RGB so image quality is fantastic, though if I were to get a NES i'd mod that for RGB or HDMI anyway.

The 6th gen ports have really severe bilinear filtering over them and run at 480i, so that's why they look so poor comparably.

Spladam

saturn.jpg

Nice collection dude.

Yeah, one of my Steam friends was the #2 rated pinball player in Japan a few years ago, really cool dude, apparently pinball is still pretty big there.

Yes Boss!

Going through a few boxes that I brought to my new living place. Have not gone through these for five years or so. Forgot about this very cool under-appreciated Mag Boy game for DS. Very unique title. I think it is cheap now. Worth a look...simply for the idea (upside down optical mouse). Incidentally, the DS was almost fully charged after sitting idle for a few years.

IMG_0686_1.jpg

StevieWhite

So I recently started making a sincere effort to get into modding old consoles... and here's my first attempt at anything of substance, a third button on a NES controller...

https://youtu.be/d7MMJjDrU9s

Basically, "up and B" together - a subweapon button. Results were cosmetically ugly, but the project was a lot of fun. I think I need to get a higher quality button!

Also threw some LEDs in some old controllers... which is always a blast.

Glad I finally got over my fear of destroying things with hot lead.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Awesome David! Getting RGB on the Nes/Fami is one of my best gaming-related decisions ever so hopefully you too will be very happy with it. Who did the mod for you?

Glowsquid

By the way, how is Game and Wario? I've been meaning to grab that for years now.

what i played of game & wario felt a bit like a warioware game, and i love those.

OK so I'm a bit late on this, but speaking as an huge WarioWare fanboy, G&W is not a good game. I wouldn't recommend it.

G&W has the WarioWare characters and trademark humor, but shifted the focus from having hundred of very short microgames to having 16 long-form minigames. That's not a problem in itself - the older WW games had unlockable long-form minigames too and those were fun and addictive! But the problem is that most of G&W's games are the anthithesis of what made WarioWare good: they're slow, boring, and not replayable. The first minigame is basically a clone of the already not very-good Takamaru's castle minigame in Nintendo Land, except it's slower paced and uglier - can you feel the excitement? Another early one plays like a ski-themed version of the F-Zero minigame except with worse controls, camera angles and with only five measly courses (there's an "endless" mode unlockable but it's way too easy and shallow to have any staying power). And then another game is a sort platformer where you need to guide a character through an obstacle course, but the "twist" is that you control him by holding the gamepad vertically and tilting it. Not only is it also very dull, but the attempts at using the system's control features feel more desesperate and contrived than they ever did in the previous WW games.

Even the better games don't have much staying power. One game is basically a stationary person of Pokemon Snap where you use the gamepad to take photos that great graded on various factors. It's actually neat, but with only 5 levels and a low maximum score celling there's not much to do. Another somewhat fun game looks like a shmup, but basically plays like a dumbed-down Nights in 2D. The tilt controls work surprisingly well, but it only has 3 stages that last less than 5 minutes each. And so on.

As for the good stuff... the soundtrack occasionally kicks ass. The "Gamer" minigame (which is about the only thing from Game & Wario people unanimously is any good), where you're playing a WarioWare game in your bedroom and avoid being caught by your mother during bedtime is hilarious and a rare great use of the GamePad. It also has a gimmick-free version so you get 1/10th of a passable WarioWare game. By far the best thing about G&W, though, are the unlockables. By playing the game, you get coins you can put in a gashapon machines to unlock various prizes, ranging from hints, to bizare phone conversations and hilarious toys. The best one is "Beans" - I honestly can't describe it because it's so surreal but you can view it near the end of this review. The gashapon toys are hilarious, creative and make very clever use of the gamepad. They're the part of the package that feels the most like WarioWare.

So yeah, Game & Wario. If it was widely available at clearance, I'd give it an hesitant thumb up, if only so you can experience the toys and the Gamer minigame. But for the price it goes for now? ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I have checked out this thread and will dig in later, but can someone tell me - realistically how easy or hard is this process? I have never done any kind of home-brew stuff and I am totally ignorant when it comes to messing with code and anything under the hood of software.

I'm thinking more and more about a Wii U because of BOTW, BC, VC, my kids approaching gaming age, and the potential collectibility factor (though that is lowest on my list for sure). I would love to get some GameCube running on it.

Follow-up question: can you do any of the GBA connectivity stuff on it? Would I be able to play Pac-Man VS????

Awesome David! Getting RGB on the Nes/Fami is one of my best gaming-related decisions ever so hopefully you too will be very happy with it. Who did the mod for you?
thanks Morfeo! i got if off GAF sales thread, he said bahamut did the mod for him

i grabbed thess titles while getting food today,
i followed Peltz recommendation and got wonderful 101
they had buy 2 get 1 free on ps2 games
and found two 72 pin converter NES games for 4.99 and 3.99 (i just got pro wrestling to play)

tHglBvQh.jpg

thanks Morfeo! i got if off GAF sales thread, he said bahamut did the mod for him

i grabbed thess titles while getting food today,
i followed Peltz recommendation and got wonderful 101
they had buy 2 get 1 free on ps2 games
and found two 72 pin converter NES games for 4.99 and 3.99 (i just got pro wrestling to play)

Awesome Dave!! I really liked Wonderfull 101 and thats a title that will definitely go up in price. And Pro Wrestling was a classic game growing up. I still enjoy it.

Top Bottom