• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

IrishNinja

So yeah, Game & Wario. If it was widely available at clearance, I'd give it an hesitant thumb up, if only so you can experience the toys and the Gamer minigame. But for the price it goes for now? ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

right, see...i love NES remix, and further, i think warioware was like a GBA system seller to guys like me, so i absolutely see this point. that's what i was getting at - full price? nah....but <$20? i'd be all over it, it was like a min-warioware in an era where we just don't see that as much, sadly

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow, have you guys ever tried ordering from Amazon Japan, now that it ships internationally? I ordered Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch yesterday, and it'll be here tomorrow. It was like $7-8 for shipping, but I didn't expect fuggin' next day from Japan.

That's cool.

Wow, have you guys ever tried ordering from Amazon Japan, now that it ships internationally? I ordered Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch yesterday, and it'll be here tomorrow. It was like $7-8 for shipping, but I didn't expect fuggin' next day from Japan.

That's cool.

I've been ordering from Amazon Japan for a few years. I'm always amazed when I can order directly without a forwarding service. I don't think I've ever gotten anything in a couple days but it's usually within a week.

You can buy games directly now? When did that happen? That's awesome. I tried buying Nintendo Points the other day but had to use my Tenso address so I didn't realize this was a thing.

That's cool.

We do it all the time since we figured out how to get DHL to just leave stuff at the door. It's really incredible.

We usually get things 2 days after shipping, and Amazon JP doesn't do the stupid thing of holding on to things to make the shipping seem slower. So if we order the same day from JP and CA, typically we'll get the JP thing way sooner.

Only downside is that you can't get everything on Amazon JP this way. Stuff from 3rd party resellers, even when fulfilled by Amazon, is no-go. That includes retro games unfortunately.

Are you an the west coast? If they do EMS and you are, I don't think that's too out of the ordinary...

It's DHL and customs fees are handled ahead of time so typically it's even faster than EMS.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, west coast. Still kinda blows my mind, though. I didn't think I'd be playing Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Switch until at least next week.

That's cool.

that's awesome! need to try that.

brainpann

Hey-so after a lot of thought...like over the last year, Ive decided to sell a majority if not all of my collection. Its fairy large... does anyone have an reccomendations on how best to go about it?

Btw Ill most likely give gaffers first chance an some items.

Peltz

Hey-so after a lot of thought...like over the last year, Ive decided to sell a majority if not all of my collection. Its fairy large... does anyone have an reccomendations on how best to go about it?

Btw Ill most likely give gaffers first chance an some items.

The B/S/T on GAF and eBay are your best bets. What systems are you selling for?

brainpann

The B/S/T on GAF and eBay are your best bets. What systems are you selling for?

Fairchild Channel F
Commodore 64
Atari 2600
NES
Famicom
PC Engine
Sega Genesis
SNES
Super Famicom
PS1
Sega Saturn
Neo Geo
Neo Geo CD
Dreamcast
Xbox
PS2
PS3
PS4
Virtual Boy
Gameboy
Gameboy Advance
Wonderswan
Neo Geo Pocket
Atari Lynx
Gameboy Color
Watara Supervision
3DO
Nintendo 64
Turbo Express

Maybe more. I need to check.

Most of the systems are modded in some way for either rgb or region locking renoval.

^ oh looks like a huge coollection =)

just got home from dinner and picked up some titles:

Tatsunoko vs. capcom $18
M. Prime trilogy $36
FE Radiant dawn $63
TfThdeFh.jpg

some guy just traded in his mint collection at a gamestop. i was just planning picking up Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for 18 bucks, it was dead mint and the gamestop guy showed me what else he just traded in so i grabbed the above titles. he's the manager and letting come back in to return rebuy with a buy 2 get one free coupon.

here's the rest:
any titles worth picking up that are rare in these pics?

Fairchild Channel F
Commodore 64
Atari 2600
NES
Famicom
PC Engine
Sega Genesis
SNES
Super Famicom
PS1
Sega Saturn
Neo Geo
Neo Geo CD
Dreamcast
Xbox
PS2
PS3
PS4
Virtual Boy
Gameboy
Gameboy Advance
Wonderswan
Neo Geo Pocket
Atari Lynx
Gameboy Color
Watara Supervision
3DO
Nintendo 64
Turbo Express

Most of the systems are modded in some way for either rgb or region locking renoval.

When you go to sell your Lynx let me know, same with any Virtual Boy games you end up selling.

brainpann

Well, here is what Ill think Ill do. As stated, Ive been thinking about this for quite some time. Im not in any rush to unload this stuff and would prefer that people who are geniunely interested in it, like those here on gaff or a few other firums I visit, get first chance.

Im pretty busy, atm, and will be for the next few months. In the meantime, Ill make some sort of web app where people can see what is available and can just input their forum username and what they are interested. In the meantime, users can vet me with forum, ebay, and whatever else. In early May, Ill start contacting usrs via the forum to see if they are still interested and start the exchange. Whatever isnt sold by early June will be listed on CL and eBay.

Time permitting, Ill probably start selling a few smaller pieces in my collection asap.

Ill let everyone know wheb the site is live but feel free to pm me if you want a notification.

televator

Well, I'm sick in bed and my B-day present in the form of BotW ain't here yet. Got no choice but I o FINALLY give Wind Waker HD a last chance to dazzle me. Starting it up now... let's see what's improved.

Edit: Haha! Its Link- I mean - Fuckface's birthday in the game too. I forgot about that. What a coincidence.

BearChair

Fairchild Channel F
Commodore 64
Turbo Express

Please post a link here when you decide to sell them.

I'd definitely be interested in some of them.

good to know the current market =) i guess i can get it as part of a b2 get 1 free coupon if i can't find a 3rd game.
It was up nearing $80 a couple years after release, but then came down. I wanted to buy a copy and passed when I saw how expensive it was. I checked not too long ago and was surprised by how much cheaper it was. Still haven't grabbed it though. I probably should before it creeps back up haha

Spladam

^ oh looks like a huge coollection =)

just got home from dinner and picked up some titles:

Tatsunoko vs. capcom $18
M. Prime trilogy $36
FE Radiant dawn $63
TfThdeFh.jpg

some guy just traded in his mint collection at a gamestop. i was just planning picking up Tatsunoko vs. Capcom for 18 bucks, it was dead mint and the gamestop guy showed me what else he just traded in so i grabbed the above titles. he's the manager and letting come back in to return rebuy with a buy 2 get one free coupon.

here's the rest:
Your backlog must be indescribable, how do you make time to play all these games?

Galdelico

Well, here is what Ill think Ill do. As stated, Ive been thinking about this for quite some time. Im not in any rush to unload this stuff and would prefer that people who are geniunely interested in it, like those here on gaff or a few other firums I visit, get first chance.

Im pretty busy, atm, and will be for the next few months. In the meantime, Ill make some sort of web app where people can see what is available and can just input their forum username and what they are interested. In the meantime, users can vet me with forum, ebay, and whatever else. In early May, Ill start contacting usrs via the forum to see if they are still interested and start the exchange. Whatever isnt sold by early June will be listed on CL and eBay.

Time permitting, Ill probably start selling a few smaller pieces in my collection asap.

Ill let everyone know wheb the site is live but feel free to pm me if you want a notification.

Definitely gonna shoot you a PM. ^_-

Peltz

It was up nearing $80 a couple years after release, but then came down. I wanted to buy a copy and passed when I saw how expensive it was. I checked not too long ago and was surprised by how much cheaper it was. Still haven't grabbed it though. I probably should before it creeps back up haha

Amazon (in the US) started selling new copies again so I jumped on it for $40. When it arrived, on the front label it has a seal that says:

U.A.E.
Saudi Arabia

Malaysia
Singapore

Official Product

I was upset when that showed up thinking it was going to be a normal reprint of the North American version of the game. Then I put it in my Wii and guess what? It worked! And it was the North American/English version of the game too. It did not include instructions though which was odd but it was definitely factory sealed (not resealed shrinkwrap).

Peltz

Portable Nintendo Multiplayer &#8211; then and now:

Switch really is amazing. I think it's my new favorite platform. The library has a long way to go, but I really love all the different configurations of the hardware.

Form-wise, I think it's the most well engineered console I've used.

D.Lo

Yes, it does feel like something fresh, the hardware itself is entertaining. It feels like the future of gaming hardware, especially with the very 'home console' Zelda on it.

I don't understand how Nintendo lunged from the genius of the Wii, to the idiocy of the Wii U, to the genius of the Switch. I guess they wanted to do this, and were just not ready in 2011/2012.

Buy games that you think you will like based on taste or reviews rather than because you think they are rare or collectable. That kind of outlook when collecting is why so much of this stuff is going for batshit prices that don't even reflect the quality of the game.

Buy games that you think you will like based on taste or reviews rather than because you think they are rare or collectable. That kind of outlook when collecting is why so much of this stuff is going for batshit prices that don't even reflect the quality of the game.

I agree to a point. If there's a rare, or collectible game that can be found for cheap, then why not ask? If he wants to collect rare or collectible games, who cares?

To answer Daves question. The Operation Rainfall games, Pandoras Tower & Last Story are good games. Same goes for all Mario games, even Super Sluggers and Kirbys Epic Yarn. It's a fun a nice looking game, but seems a little childish, but whatever. Donkey Kong Country is also very good, but I preferred the 3DS version. Mainly for the extra levels and balloons lol

Edit: I liked Metroid Other M. If it's cheap, try it.

I agree to a point. If there's a rare, or collectible game that can be found for cheap, then why not ask? If he wants to collect rare or collectible games, who cares?

To answer Daves question. The Operation Rainfall games, Pandoras Tower & Last Story are good games. Same goes for all Mario games, even Super Sluggers and Kirbys Epic Yarn. It's a fun a nice looking game, but seems a little childish, but whatever. Donkey Kong Country is also very good, but I preferred the 3DS version. Mainly for the extra levels and balloons lol

also no waggle, lol

Ban Puncher

After years of searching, I finally acquired a MIB PAL release of Mutant League Hockey.

Now to put it on a shelf and never play it.

Your backlog must be indescribable, how do you make time to play all these games?
thanks, i'm just grabbing retro titles weekly and dabble into them. i pretty much want to try and get stuff i missed as a kid or systems that i got really late.

Amazon (in the US) started selling new copies again so I jumped on it for $40. When it arrived, on the front label it has a seal that says:

U.A.E.
Saudi Arabia

Malaysia
Singapore

Official Product

I was upset when that showed up thinking it was going to be a normal reprint of the North American version of the game. Then I put it in my Wii and guess what? It worked! And it was the North American/English version of the game too. It did not include instructions though which was odd but it was definitely factory sealed (not resealed shrinkwrap).
oh, good to know they reprinted it. i see it new going pretty cheap on amazon. thanks for the heads up.

Portable Nintendo Multiplayer &#8211; then and now:
i love "game & watch" style stuff. reading your article gets me jelly.

i still haven't got to my switch yet. i'm sold on the platform but may wait for a hardware revision for the minor items like bent docks and left joycon antenna placement.

Edit: I liked Metroid Other M. If it's cheap, try it.
thanks for the recommendations. i'm going back friday to use the buy 2 get 1 free coupon.

Peltz

Yes, it does feel like something fresh, the hardware itself is entertaining. It feels like the future of gaming hardware, especially with the very 'home console' Zelda on it.

I don't understand how Nintendo lunged from the genius of the Wii, to the idiocy of the Wii U, to the genius of the Switch. I guess they wanted to do this, and were just not ready in 2011/2012.

Nintendo has always been pretty brilliant with their input devices and consoles in general. I think the Wii U was just their misunderstanding of their own success with the Wii and their overall brand in general.

They should not have designed the system with the "Wii" name, but also should not have designed it to be backwards compatible. That architecture really held them back and made development in HD more difficult than it needed to be for their own teams and third parties too.

I think the Wii U Gamepad, although definitely a misstep, really did not impact the success/failure/cost of the console as much as people think. The real cost of their manufacturing process was the custom GPU that was designed to keep the system compatible with the Wii, but did not allow for an easy development environment. That kept the console expensive and prevented them from dropping the price because they never were able to ramp up production due to the low demand. Plus despite costing probably much as to manufacture as the GPU in the PS4, it did not have nearly as much power.

Obviously, the name of the system really didn't help either. But I have a feeling that if they kept the Gamepad exactly as is, redesigned the graphics card/cpu to be friendlier to third party engines like Unreal and Unity (dropping the backwards compatibility), got rid of Wii remote compatibility/Wii branding, and went with a completely different name, the system probably would have done closer to 30 million units. In other words, I think they could have gone with the the same Gamepad + Pro Controller concept, but with a less convoluted execution regarding other things and been twice as successful.

Considering their marketing failures and long periods of software droughts, I actually think 14 million units worldwide is pretty impressive and shows how many hardcore fans they have. It could have been much worse if this were any other company than Nintendo. It shows their hardcore fans (including me) are willing to buy junky hardware just to access their software, but that is not the case for the general public it seems.

Fortunately, for the first time in a while, I genuinely don't feel like they put out junky hardware this time around. The Switch is elegant. I know David mentioned he's holding out for a few minor revisions, but in my humble opinion the problems reported aren't widespread and the system is pretty perfect as is for most people. I think they're just going to subtly redesign the dock to be a milometer wider and maybe add a bit more antenna to the left joycon and call it a day. But I haven't had any scratching issues or joycon issues myself.

Is anyone else starting to fade on collecting games? Only thing I don't have much of is NES SNES, and Genesis but prices have gotten so crazy I can't find the desire to rebuy them even though I want them. I might get some genesis since most aren't too crazy yet but still :/

Is anyone else starting to fade on collecting games? Only thing I don't have much of is NES SNES, and Genesis but prices have gotten so crazy I can't find the desire to rebuy them even though I want them. I might get some genesis since most aren't too crazy yet but still :/

I'm getting to the point where I feel like I have most things that I would want and am being more picky. When I started I'd buy almost anything that looked interesting if the price was right. Nowadays, I look for things in good condition and that look like something I am more likely to play. I've also branched out into things that I never experienced back in the day like 16-bit PCs.

I'm getting to the point where I feel like I have most things that I would want and am being more picky. When I started I'd buy almost anything that looked interesting if the price was right. Nowadays, I look for things in good condition and that look like something I am more likely to play. I've also branched out into things that I never experienced back in the day like 16-bit PCs.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm getting with them too I think. I still want say donkey kong country and stuff but things like final fantasy 1-3 that before I would have wanted I'm more likely to skip now... I don't know it's been weird cycles where I was excited but then burn out with the necessary money investment. I'm really curious when this finally crashes, there's no way these prices continually going up is sustainable.

I've definitely cooled off collecting as well, but now I get time to enjoy my stuff so it works out, lol.

Haha, sadly most of the stuff I sold off because back then CIB prices weren't crazy so I was like oh I'll just buy them some day! And now the cart is like 2-3 times what the CIB price was back then lol. Did not see it going up that much, especially for random games and some very shitty games. But yeah, had a lot more time to play through my Saturn stuff lately.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm getting with them too I think. I still want say donkey kong country and stuff but things like final fantasy 1-3 that before I would have wanted I'm more likely to skip now... I don't know it's been weird cycles where I was excited but then burn out with the necessary money investment. I'm really curious when this finally crashes, there's no way these prices continually going up is sustainable.

Interesting that this should come up. Been cooling off myself for several months, mainly because of work, but also because I've scooped up much of what I really want for NES. Just checking two charts on PriceCharting tells me something.

The NES in general has hit a small plateau, though prices have flattened a bit before in the last few years and then continued to rise:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/nes

And if there's any true bellwether cart out there, Contra would be one. And it's cooled off. It's at a 2 year low:

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/nes/contra

A few other key carts like Mega Man 5 and Little Samson have cooled in price as well, or remained flat in the last year or so. I know there's lot of salt to be taken with exact prices seen on PC, but I still think it's a good long-term gauge of the general trends.

Top Bottom