• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

i played the hell out of nes today due to the storm.
nes titles i played:
karnov
solomons key
trojan
section Z
star soldier
dragon spirit
and Zanac, played this the most today. i'm nessed and need a break but want to say RGB looks amazing. if anyone plans to get a nes RGB or mod their nes, do it! it's so amazing... i fell in love with the nes again.

dubc35

nes titles i played:
karnov
solomons key
trojan
section Z
star soldier
dragon spirit
and Zanac, played this the most today. i'm nessed and need a break but want to say RGB looks amazing. if anyone plans to get a nes RGB or mod their nes, do it! it's so amazing... i fell in love with the nes again.
Bah, so jealous! I got 15 minutes of Streets of Rage last weekend and that's the most non-phone gaming I've done in a long time. I need to get my NES RGB modded...then not have time to play it :(

nes titles i played:
karnov
solomons key
trojan
section Z
star soldier
dragon spirit

That's awesome!!! I can't really afford to fall in love with anything all over again, at the moment.

Bah, so jealous! I got 15 minutes of Streets of Rage last weekend and that's the most non-phone gaming I've done in a long time. I need to get my NES RGB modded...then not have time to play it :(
i was just going to wait a year since reading peeps on the retroGAF weren't getting successful responses from NES modders... i figured there's a huge wait list and just give up getting one anytime soon. i was so surprised to see one put of on the sale section here.
i think he's a retro gamer but maybe i'm too new to have seen him post on here recently. he's gunning for Saturn ATM and was letting go of his nes for saturn stuff. really nice guy and gave me a great deal. if it weren't for him, i'd prob be stuck playing nes over RF for another year.
That's awesome!!! I can't really afford to fall in love with anything all over again, at the moment.
gaming over RF via 60 plasma looked fuzzy and washed out. everygame looked like crap. i felt maybe it's nostalgia that made it look better as a kid. I was wrong. RGB really makes the difference. it's like i'm back in 1985-1986 opening my system for the first time, (in reality, it's even better than i've ever seen in the past) it's such a joy playing with dramatic visual clarity.

on a side note, looks like OSSC are coming back in stock, i got an e-mail that they'll be avail shortly. now, that i brought the nes, not sure if i'm going to grab it.

dubc35

RF?! Damn, I guess I'm at least on composite lol.

Peltz, did you ever hear back from Voltar (sp?) about getting your NES RGB modded?

Interesting that this should come up. Been cooling off myself for several months, mainly because of work, but also because I've scooped up much of what I really want for NES. Just checking two charts on PriceCharting tells me something.

The NES in general has hit a small plateau, though prices have flattened a bit before in the last few years and then continued to rise:

https://www.pricecharting.com/console/nes

And if there's any true bellwether cart out there, Contra would be one. And it's cooled off. It's at a 2 year low:

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/nes/contra

A few other key carts like Mega Man 5 and Little Samson have cooled in price as well, or remained flat in the last year or so. I know there's lot of salt to be taken with exact prices seen on PC, but I still think it's a good long-term gauge of the general trends.

Haha, I actually looked at contra last night because I saw a video complaining how expensive it's gotten but yeah it's like $30 now which isn't bad. Not sure how old the video was, I was just clicking around.

:lol According to that site Bomberman 2nd attack was $60 like 2 years ago and now it's $130. WTF Wonder what happened like 2 years ago that everything skyrocketed.

Haha, I actually looked at contra last night because I saw a video complaining how expensive it's gotten but yeah it's like $30 now which isn't bad. Not sure how old the video was, I was just clicking around.

:lol According to that site Bomberman 2nd attack was $60 like 2 years ago and now it's $130. WTF Wonder what happened like 2 years ago that everything skyrocketed.

Too many people jumping in the pool at once. When they jumped in, they looked at the SNES first. Saw the prices and said, nope! Moved on to the N64 because its was the next in line.

Same here. I probably have more games than I could ever enjoy in one lifetime anyway.

Pretty much.. Getting too old and time is running out to play all these games lol

gaming over RF via 60 plasma looked fuzzy and washed out. everygame looked like crap. i felt maybe it's nostalgia that made it look better as a kid. I was wrong. RGB really makes the difference. it's like i'm back in 1985-1986 opening my system for the first time, (in reality, it's even better than i've ever seen in the past) it's such a joy playing with dramatic visual clarity.

Wow!! Thats quite an upgrade from RF.

Is anyone else starting to fade on collecting games? Only thing I don't have much of is NES SNES, and Genesis but prices have gotten so crazy I can't find the desire to rebuy them even though I want them. I might get some genesis since most aren't too crazy yet but still :/

I only buy games I'm going to play. So I'm not out there just buying up lots of NES or Genesis games. I have specific titles I want to play that I'm always on the lookout for and that hasn't changed for me.

Too many people jumping in the pool at once. When they jumped in, they looked at the SNES first. Saw the prices and said, nope! Moved on to the N64 because its was the next in line.

Pretty much.. Getting too old and time is running out to play all these games lol

Wow!! Thats quite an upgrade from RF.

Yeah, I guess that's what frustrating is it feels like many people are picking up crap and inflating the value because what they wanted is too expensive. I knew people trying to go after PSP and stuff only because it's cheap now but they think it will rise like everything else. I guess it's just the rate that is surprising to me. Like I said, I dumped all my SNES because for years and years the CIB wasn't rising so and I was spending enough to collect that I dumped it thinking it'd be nice to have boxes if they're not that much more in value. Over doubling in price in 2 years is a pretty incredible jump but I guess it was the same when I saw what Saturn prices are now after thinking how crazy prices were like 6-7 years ago and thinking it was insane.

I only buy games I'm going to play. So I'm not out there just buying up lots of NES or Genesis games. I have specific titles I want to play that I'm always on the lookout for and that hasn't changed for me.

Most are things I want to play but there's totally ones that I'm not sure if I would play again but I have a huge amount of nostalgia for. I'm not sure I would ever play Bomberman Second attack again but I remember the years me and my brother put into that playing single player and multiplayer in it. So I'm tempted to get it just to have one because that's one of those games I remember us playing so much. I think he sold it for nothing years and years ago too because it wasn't a really renown bomberman and no one particularly liked it.

D.Lo

Same here. I probably have more games than I could ever enjoy in one lifetime anyway.
My collection is always in flux. I do selling purges to have a higher quality ratio. Famicom and Saturn need a purge right now. NES and Super Famicom are basically complete for me (all Konami and the best of everyone else).

I did some silly thing like collecting a lot of SG1000, and almost every single Mark III game though. And have pretty good Coleco, Atari, Intellivision sets. I would probably quit Coleco or intellivision and sell the lot for a purge, they take up a lot of space and while cool history, not really something I'll ever play again except if I displayed at some kind of event.

I'll second this, story not so great but the gameplay is solid outside of the couple of fp searching sections.
I highly recommend the Japanese version. It has full English subtitle support, and having it in Japanese language just makes so much more sense of the standard anime melodramatic story presentation. The English voice acting was a huuuuge issue that can be avoided this way.

Japanese version also has super sweet packaging.

Spladam

God I want some of that nostalgic magic you've got going there. I'm a little bit jealous.

Peltz

My collection is always in flux. I do selling purges to have a higher quality ratio. Famicom and Saturn need a purge right now. NES and Super Famicom are basically complete for me (all Konami and the best of everyone else).

I did some silly thing like collecting a lot of SG1000, and almost every single Mark III game though. And have pretty good Coleco, Atari, Intellivision sets. I would probably quit Coleco or intellivision and sell the lot for a purge, they take up a lot of space and while cool history, not really something I'll ever play again except if I displayed at some kind of event.

I highly recommend the Japanese version. It has full English subtitle support, and having it in Japanese language just makes so much more sense of the standard anime melodramatic story presentation. The English voice acting was a huuuuge issue that can be avoided this way.

Your collection is a real collection though. There's more value in it as a whole. Mine is more of a disorganized hoarding of games I wanted to own/play lol.

entremet

I've always felt collections are meant to be curated and not just be something for obsessives.

Think of collectors outside of gaming, whether it's wine, art, etc., those collections are curated. They can't have possibly everything.

This is why the whole Youtube collect every game thing, doesn't appeal to me.

Is anyone else starting to fade on collecting games? Only thing I don't have much of is NES SNES, and Genesis but prices have gotten so crazy I can't find the desire to rebuy them even though I want them. I might get some genesis since most aren't too crazy yet but still :/

Yea, I bought a few games from some gaffers recently, but other than that, I'm kinda eh on collecting. I have most of what I want. SNES is almost done, aside from a few mid tier games. Genesis still has the most that I want, but the prices haven't gotten too crazy yet.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm getting with them too I think. I still want say donkey kong country and stuff but things like final fantasy 1-3 that before I would have wanted I'm more likely to skip now... I don't know it's been weird cycles where I was excited but then burn out with the necessary money investment. I'm really curious when this finally crashes, there's no way these prices continually going up is sustainable.

Crash in what way? People have been saying this for years now haha.

In fact, in the SNES collectors thread, people were hoping the bubble would pop soon and that was over four years ago!

It is interesting though, how certain games haven't changed much in price over the years. Chrono Trigger keeps going up, while Final Fantasy II and III have always been relatively the same. While other certain big games peaked a year ago or two ago and are on a slight down turn.

I see the amount of people collecting say.... the SNES, dropping, but not the prices. If I had to put a percentage on the amount of people that are actually playing these games, it would be 10%. The rest are shelving and hoarding for profit.

This is ridiculous
1.jpg

and so is this

Who needs a 401k or an index fund when you have a Sega Saturn?

Sadly, this is a retirement fund for some.

Jaeger

I see the amount of people collecting say.... the SNES, dropping, but not the prices. If I had to put a percentage on the amount of people that are actually playing these games, it would be 10%. The rest are shelving and hoarding for profit.

This is ridiculous

and so is this

This makes me sick.

This is ridiculous

and so is this

What the hell?

This might sound like a really, really dumb idea, but I've thought about trying to find maybe 30 or 40 games that might be considered bellwethers and track their price to try to get a feel for the market. Not just the expensive ones, but also some that are popular but not rare at all, like Contra mentioned above. I think it would be interesting to have a short list to follow.

Jaeger

I posted that after seeing it on instagram a couple of years ago, IIRC

edit: yeah
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143843875&postcount=7227

I remember when you posted that. Still makes me angry.

Anyway, I've been on this sealed games thing now. Not for resale but for for me. I end up paying a bit more in some cases but I'm done trying to buy every expensive valuable game. I'm just getting my personal faves regardless of the format.

I wanna display pieces of my collection in my future man cave. Like this LD display.

MgNcUXn.jpg

This is ridiculous

and so is this

I can't stand that shit. No one needs 8 fucking copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga. What an ass.

On a different note, I finally got and installed a wall mount that let's me rotate my tv screen into portrait mode for some tate action.

33303054892_1be9410dd3_h.jpg

Timu

So Capcom announced The Disney Afternoon Collection which has 6 NES games: Chip n Dale 1, Chip n Dale 2, Ducktales 1, Ducktales 2, Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin!

It's worth it for Ducktales 2 alone since that game is expensive as hell!

So Capcom announced The Disney Afternoon Collection which has 6 NES games: Chip n Dale 1, Chip n Dale 2, Ducktales 1, Ducktales 2, Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin!

Chip n Dale is my jam. I need to get my Famicom modded so I can play it again. I had no idea there was a sequel.

Per Voultar's twitter, he's been out sick with the flu and then lower GI infection. So he hasn't responded to many emails or orders, including mine.

It sucks because I actually think my NESRGB board is bad, because the entire screen has a green tint. Anyone have a similar issue? I hope its more of a soldering problem.

Peltz, did you ever hear back from Voltar (sp?) about getting your NES RGB modded?

You never played Chip N Dale and Ducktales???=O
i can't remember. i think i must've played chip n dales at a friends house or something. just don't remember touching any disney related titles till 16-bit. i was into shooters and technology things. gradius, life force, blaster master. then serious manly things, golgo 13 castlevania. metal gear. then "arcade names" that came to a home system. TMNT etc.

it makes me kinda interested in the collection though seeing what i missed.

Tain

I liked the Mega Man collection. I did hear about tech issues on consoles, but on my PC (with gsync and all that) it was really nice. I'll probably pick up the Disney collection.

I can't stand that shit. No one needs 8 fucking copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga. What an ass.

On a different note, I finally got and installed a wall mount that let's me rotate my tv screen into portrait mode for some tate action.

33303054892_1be9410dd3_h.jpg

Ok! If I wasn't married, I would be doing this haha So awesome!! So jealous!

Agreed!! It dropped for awhile and is now starting to creep back up.

Well I personally think it'll eventually drop a lot as time goes on for certain things just because it'll be so old that the younger generation may not be interested in it. I for one am not interested in collecting games/systems older than a NES because I have no attachment to any games that old because I only started playing games on the NES onwards.

Yes.

It's around 200 buck cart only...that's insanity!

I would love a full Capcom NES collection, even cart only, but thats not happening. At this point I'll settle for completing Megaman. Still missing 5 and 6. I'm having a tough time pulling the trigger on 5 right now though.

Peltz

Must've scrolled past this earlier. He did respond after several emails, but I'm holding off on the mod for now until I decide I really want it. I'm sort of attached to my NES systems right now and am feeling a bit conflicted about modifying any of them.

Top Bottom