• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Khaz

Dammit I hate boxes!

I just bought a Japanese black GunCon with GunBullet, complete in box because it was the best deal, even better than a lose GunCon. Now I have this really nice box, that can hold the light gun nicely and with an extra space for the game box. But I won't be using it because the game will go on the shelf with the other games, and the gun will go in the drawer with the other controllers. And I have no idea what to do with the empty box! I don't want to throw it away because it's a nice box and as an antique it would be criminal, I don't want to give / sell it to someone because that would mean splitting a complete packaging. Obviously I'll put it in the closet with the other empty boxes, but really this shit is starting to take way too much space.

Hopefully my grandchildren will have the sense to put everything back in their boxes to sell them at a premium once I pass away and they have to get rid of all my junk.

Teknoman

Dammit I hate boxes!

I just bought a Japanese black GunCon with GunBullet, complete in box because it was the best deal, even better than a lose GunCon. Now I have this really nice box, that can hold the light gun nicely and with an extra space for the game box. But I won't be using it because the game will go on the shelf with the other games, and the gun will go in the drawer with the other controllers. And I have no idea what to do with the empty box! I don't want to throw it away because it's a nice box and as an antique it would be criminal, I don't want to give / sell it to someone because that would mean splitting a complete packaging. Obviously I'll put it in the closet with the other empty boxes, but really this shit is starting to take way too much space.

Hopefully my grandchildren will have the sense to put everything back in their boxes to sell them at a premium once I pass away and they have to get rid of all my junk.

Heh I just ordered similar bundle from Net New on Amazon, but they seemed kinda iffy about whether the Guncon came with it, and its still preparing shipment (said it would take awhile?):

Net New 5:
1st email "Thank you for your order. This item will be only to game software. How would you like to do?"

2nd email seconds afterwards "GunCon There was also."

I'm sure english is the second language of the seller, so I just replied with:

"If it is the guncon and the game, I want to keep the order."

Last reply from the seller:

"So please wait a little until the shipment."

Dammit I hate boxes!

Things that come in their own massive boxes like that, or like the PS1 Lunar games I just leave in the box instead of putting with the rest of the games and display/store them separately.

I am a massive box hoarder though and I blame all the video game boxes that were thrown away/lost when I was a kid. Made me really hate throwing away boxes maybe out of regret. Like every electronic and some house goods that I own I still have the box and packing material for.

If I made my loved ones leave me I could fit at least another six Astro City cabinets in my house.

I've decided to skip that issue by never gaining loved ones in the first place.

Khaz

Well, now I have a second gun without a box (the grey European one
16€ shipped, yay!
) which means I'll keep the black one in its box unless multiplayer. Still, it's a bit annoying.

Teknoman

Im kinda clueless on what to do with a ebay situation so far (its not too big a deal, but still).

Got a Guncon 1 (Gray model), said it was tested and worked but when I tried the various ways of connecting it, nothing worked aside from the PS1/PS2 knowing a Guncon was plugged in the controller port. Must've been something with the AV section of the cable since I got it to work a little (but with a really jittery crosshair) and then afterwards nothing. Even tried a direct composite only connect, but that produced a wavy video signal, so im definitely thinking its the AV part of the Guncon cable.

Asked the seller for a refund or replacement, and she granted a refund (saying I could keep the gun in case I could get it to work), but I guess it was minus shipping, because now i've got the same auction listed at 6 bucks unpaid. She says just to cancel the order and it'll go away...but it doesnt seem like I can on my end this far down the line.

On a side note, glad the PS2 Guncon I found at a thrift store works perfectly though. With component on the PS2 via that multiout adapter no less. At any rate, time to search for another hopefully working Guncon 1 again.

IrishNinja

...so it looks like i missed Retro Gamer's SMS/NES magazine, anyone have a copy at a newstand by them? id be happy to paypal gift the cost + shipping, it's just Imagine publishing wants like $25 to send it here and that's a bit much

Ban Puncher

...so it looks like i missed Retro Gamer's SMS/NES magazine, anyone have a copy at a newstand by them? id be happy to paypal gift the cost + shipping, it's just Imagine publishing wants like $25 to send it here and that's a bit much

I don't know if it helps but where I am the paper issue goes for $30 in a local store where a digital copy is $10.

I bought the digital one.

You can't order the physical copy any more? Didn't it just get released? I had this on my to do list but I'm crazy busy with work and family the last few weeks.

EDIT: I just checked and it looks like it's still available. I'm going to get mine ordered tonight, though.

Mzo

eBay should charge sellers for listing and re-listing the same shit at 3x the going price. The way it's set up now is terrible with so many sellers holding games hostage.

eBay should charge sellers for listing and re-listing the same shit at 3x the going price. The way it's set up now is terrible with so many sellers holding games hostage.

It's just how it goes. Someone will eventually pay the price and no one will get a good deal since resellers bid them up to their prices anyway. I really wish I could drop it all but I loves me some retro games.

IrishNinja

I don't know if it helps but where I am the paper issue goes for $30 in a local store where a digital copy is $10.

I bought the digital one.

shit, for real? $25 ain't sounding so bad now, think ill buy in tonight. the kid in me still gets happy when anyone remembers the SMS.

I've given up looking for Retrogamer in shops so I just subscribed. £15 for six issues.

yup, me too (its not bad with the code i found on amazon), sadly that doens't bring these books, annuals/specials etc

we totally need more YT call-outs with airhorns

we totally need more YT call-outs with airhorns

I mentioned it in another retro thread, but I really think some articles or videos on over valued games are warranted. If YTers can drive up the price based on perception alone, we should try to turn the tide back with our own information.

I mentioned it in another retro thread, but I really think some articles or videos on over valued games are warranted. If YTers can drive up the price based on perception alone, we should try to turn the tide back with our own information.

The main thing that drives up, and keeps up, prices is beyond our control. There is literally no downside for someone who sells video games for a living and isn't desperate for fast cash to not lowering their prices and to bid up every game that pops up to your price. Relisting doesn't cost anything and if you end up actually buying the games you are bidding up that just means more stock that you personally control.

The main thing that drives up, and keeps up, prices is beyond our control. There is literally no downside for someone who sells video games for a living and isn't desperate for fast cash to not lowering their prices and to bid up every game that pops up to your price. Relisting doesn't cost anything and if you end up actually buying the games you are bidding up that just means more stock that you personally control.

I get that, and I get that something's only worth what people will pay for it. No outside force determines price or value.

But I think we assume everyone just knows the kind of info you posted above. At the very least, some good info about the scummier side of reselling and a list of a few titles (eg Metal Storm for NES) that are being driven up by one or two YouTube videos (especially if you can tie price spikes to time the vids or articles were published) could perhaps help newbies be aware that they are paying through the nose for a common game.

Slowly but surely working on finishing off my Game and Watch Collection. With this latest release I'm up to just over half the games released (there are 60 in total). Unfortunately the prices are fairly crazy now, so I can only get around 1 a month if that...

Anyway, today I got:

Donkey Kong Jr Panorama. I love the normal version of DK Jr so I'm looking forward to giving this one a shot.

I miss Consolevania.

Have you watched Chuckie Dregs? It's Ryan Macleod's game review show and it's pretty good. I assume he and Robert had a falling out so they don't work together anymore :/

Not game related, but Robert Florence also did a sketch comedy show on BBC Scotland called Burnistoun (which has completed its run) if you want to see what he's been up to since videoGaiden ended.

Ban Puncher

Have you watched Chuckie Dregs? It's Ryan Macleod's game review show and it's pretty good. I assume he and Robert had a falling out so they don't work together anymore :/

Not game related, but Robert Florence also did a sketch comedy show on BBC Scotland called Burnistoun (which has completed its run) if you want to see what he's been up to since videoGaiden ended.

Yeah, I've seen all the stuff that came after. And yes, Ryan and Rab had a very public falling out a couple of years ago. Sad really.

Chuckiedregs just started their third season I believe and Ryan is a regular at Gamewank.

Rab seems to be busy with the TV writing gig and rarely does game stuff now but that video you posted came out yesterday so who knows.

Kenny and Hitler are probably still on the lose in Scotland.

Ban Puncher

I've had some cordless tools perform worse the older they got because of the battery packs and replacing those can be costly and sometimes impossible if it's an older model that is incompatible with the current line.

Mzo

Master System 1 and 2, the garbage NES Tengen game, the Turbografx 16 port, and the 3D remake on the PS2 Sega Classics Collection or whatever that was.

Lol I think that's it.

Rydeen

Master System 1 and 2, the garbage NES Tengen game, the Turbografx 16 port, and the 3D remake on the PS2 Sega Classics Collection or whatever that was.

Lol I think that's it.

Aren't we forgetting about the most recent (and best) port?

original.jpg

Jaeger

Hope I'm in the appropriate thread, but I got the tro itch real bad last week. And after being pretty scattered in terms of things I collect I decided to finally focus on something. Something that's important to me, and has both sentimental value and value otherwise. I'm going to collect as many of the many ports of Street Fighter II, and it's successor versions. Champion Edition-Super Turbo. And that means everything from the home console ports, to the shitty U.S. Gold releases, to the Arcade PCBs. Preferably with manuals and cases and flyers when at all possible.

This will get expensive and daunting, but I'm ready for it. This will be fun and well worth it. It seems the most expensive stuff will be the Arcade boards, so I'll get those last.

Hope I'm in the appropriate thread, but I got the tro itch real bad last week. And after being pretty scattered in terms of things I collect I decided to finally focus on something. Something that's important to me, and has both sentimental value and value otherwise. I'm going to collect as many of the many ports of Street Fighter II, and it's successor versions. Champion Edition-Super Turbo. And that means everything from the home console ports, to the shitty U.S. Gold releases, to the Arcade PCBs. Preferably with manuals and cases and flyers when at all possible.

This will get expensive and daunting, but I'm ready for it. This will be fun and well worth it. It seems the most expensive stuff will be the Arcade boards, so I'll get those last.

Good luck with tracking down some of the ports :) I did sort of a similar thing but on a more general scale as I'm a big fan of Capcom (less now, since they killed Megaman but that's another story).
The Spectrum version of the game was surprisingly hard for me to track down, plus if your going with gift sets and bundle releases you'll probably get sick of the PC side of things, since I've got a few copies of the DOS version due to it getting released as parts of 3rd party bundles (along with Megaman 3).

On the bright side it also gives you the opportunity to get stuff like the Sharp 68K and PC Engine versions, which (with the right pad) are awesome ports.

Jaeger

Good luck with tracking down some of the ports :) I did sort of a similar thing but on a more general scale as I'm a big fan of Capcom (less now, since they killed Megaman but that's another story).
The Spectrum version of the game was surprisingly hard for me to track down, plus if your going with gift sets and bundle releases you'll probably get sick of the PC side of things, since I've got a few copies of the DOS version due to it getting released as parts of 3rd party bundles (along with Megaman 3).

On the bright side it also gives you the opportunity to get stuff like the Sharp 68K and PC Engine versions, which (with the right pad) are awesome ports.

Awesome! So you were collecting SF ports as well? Anything in your collection you are willing to part ways with? :p

It looks like the Sharp 68K version will be one of the most expensive/hardest to track down ports. Along with that terrible Brazil SMS port. I'm getting ports that I really like first (PC Engine, DC, SAT/PSX) before I get the more bizarre ones.

WRT SF2 revisions, I have home ports on a variety of systems too. Not complete like you are going for though, but definitely more than I need, lol.

Top Bottom