• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

emb

I have some labels that are peeling at the edges (in this case, Game Gear, SNES). Will generic school or craft glue destroy labels if I try to apply it (in very small amounts) under the label? Is there a particular type that's recommended?

Jaeger

WRT SF2 revisions, I have home ports on a variety of systems too. Not complete like you are going for though, but definitely more than I need, lol.

What do you have, brother? :)

cheap as chips as well. Now Alpha 2 - that's a slightly different story - but the jap version of that is still pretty cheap

One of the reasons I was putting off getting SNES/SFC releases for the time being, because it seems to be a bit easier to get ahold of. But I failed that mission today because I'm still a kid when it comes to monies.

saw this on hibachi's tumblr, lmao

tumblr_noo1p9SIME1qit8jgo1_1280.jpg

Jaeger

RetroGAF, having random late nights thoughts about another game/franchise to focus on and collect. I'm interested in what games in particular you are all interested in. What series have you at different times focus on getting. Please share. I need ideas and inspiration.

Jamix012

RetroGAF, having random late nights thoughts about another game/franchise to focus on and collect. I'm interested in what games in particular you are all interested in. What series have you at different times focus on getting. Please share. I need ideas and inspiration.

Classic Mega Man is such a great series that I love to collect for.
Oddities include:

Wily Wars/RockMan Mega World [Sega MD] (PAL and JP only though)
Mega Man IV (GB)
Mega Man V (GB and Super Gameboy Enhanced)
Mega Man (Game Gear)
Mega Man X Collection [Gamecube/PS2 - The only way to play the Kart Racer Battle and Chase on a NTSC system so it counts as classic =P]
Mega Man Rockman & Forte 2 [Wonderswan]
Mega Man 8 (Saturn - has extra bosses)

These will all set you back a fair amount but are real collectible gems. I only own 2 of these right now but someday hope to get them all.

Jaeger

Classic Mega Man is such a great series that I love to collect for.
Oddities include:

Wily Wars/RockMan Mega World [Sega MD] (PAL and JP only though)
Mega Man IV (GB)
Mega Man V (GB and Super Gameboy Enhanced)
Mega Man (Game Gear)
Mega Man X Collection [Gamecube/PS2 - The only way to play the Kart Racer Battle and Chase on a NTSC system so it counts as classic =P]
Mega Man Rockman & Forte 2 [Wonderswan]
Mega Man 8 (Saturn - has extra bosses)

These will all set you back a fair amount but are real collectible gems. I only own 2 of these right now but someday hope to get them all.

I've always wanted to collect Mega Man games. I'm a huge stan for that franchise. I'm even more fond of the X games. Do you have any images of the ones you already have?

I'm thinking that after I do my due-diligence with my current collecting of the SFII games, I could focus on a smaller scale series to let my wallet breathe. Maybe something like Final Fight, or an STG franchise.

I guess I'm ambling towards Street Fighter, Castlevania, Zelda and Metroid sets because I have lots of that already. Castlevania in particular has lots of odd ball entries in the series and things that are connected like Kid Dracula etc.

Awesome! So you were collecting SF ports as well? Anything in your collection you are willing to part ways with? :p

It looks like the Sharp 68K version will be one of the most expensive/hardest to track down ports. Along with that terrible Brazil SMS port. I'm getting ports that I really like first (PC Engine, DC, SAT/PSX) before I get the more bizarre ones.

I like the more bizarre ports, even though they are mainly bloody awful! I'm not selling any games at the moment, all the ports I have are ones that I treasure in one way or another. Collection wise I just ended up with them since I went after loads of Capcom stuff a few years back. I ended up with a few nice Saturn ports - all the fighters basically Zero 1-3, the Vs games, Dungeons and Dragons double pack, Cyberbots CE, even Final Fight Revenge!

Speaking of Megaman games though, yeah that was my addiction for years until I ended up with pretty much every one released, including some package variants (like Megaman 2 from Germany, which got a much better box art compared to USA or UK), PC Asian releases like Rockman Strategy, Rockman X Math Tornado, Gold Empire etc.
Plus stuff like Wily Wars, Rockman EXE for the Wonderswan, EXE 4.5 for the GBA, Rockman & Forte for the Wonderswan, 1&3 for the PC etc. Its an awesome series to collect, plus since I love the series so much I've played through almost all the games in my collection (just need to finish a couple of the RPG's).

Pictures here for anyone interested, its an outdated post though, since I've got a few more PC releases since:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/mega_ma...ctures-of-my-entire-megamanrockman-collection

The pictures are pretty large, so I won't flood this page with them!

Oddball platformers are my thing and I have full collections of Klonoa and Umihara Kawase. The latter night get expensive nowadays but there are only a few games in the series.

emb

I guess I'm ambling towards Street Fighter, Castlevania, Zelda and Metroid sets because I have lots of that already. Castlevania in particular has lots of odd ball entries in the series and things that are connected like Kid Dracula etc.
CV is great for it. Has a bunch of games, and sometimes it's right on the line between slightly obscure and super popular/common. Has a bunch of games to hunt down, ranging from some of the best games to some pretty bad ones. Good variety too.

Jaeger

Castlevania is another series (along with Metroid) I would love to collect. The sheer number of ports in the CV series rivals that of SF, so at the moment I couldn't really focus on it. SFII has been very fun so far, as they are just so many random weird releases and consoles that had no business getting SFII.

I like the more bizarre ports, even though they are mainly bloody awful! I'm not selling any games at the moment
soyouretellingmetheresachance.gif

...even Final Fight Revenge!
Score! I'll probably grab as many Final Fight titles as possible and that is high on the list and the most expensive in most cases. Congrats!

Pictures here for anyone interested, its an outdated post though, since I've got a few more PC releases since:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/mega_ma...ctures-of-my-entire-megamanrockman-collection
Your Mega Man collection is fucking impressive! Just got hella inspired there. I guess knowing I'm not alone in this kind of desire helps me alot.

Oddball platformers are my thing and I have full collections of Klonoa and Umihara Kawase. The latter night get expensive nowadays but there are only a few games in the series.
Klonoa was such a dope game. And this actually the first time I've learned of anyone collecting his games. I love that. Not sure if I've ever heard of the second game though. Gonna look that up now.

I just started buying some gradius and r-type games. Order Gradius Gaiden last night. Trying to find 3+4 for PS2 for less than $30 complete. Gonna get R-types soon.

Jaeger

I just started buying some gradius and r-type games. Order Gradius Gaiden last night. Trying to find 3+4 for PS2 for less than $30 complete. Gonna get R-types soon.

Gaiden is easily one of my favorite games. Another fun series to collect! R-Type as well. Will you be aiming to eventually collect the arcade boards? That might be the most difficult portion of my hunt with SFII.

Peltz

Although I'm mostly into collecting 1st party Nintendo stuff in general, I think shmup collectors are the coolest and worthy of the most respect.

Again, this is coming from someone who is not a shmup collector.... I just feel like they have the coolest setups and most rad gaming skills.

Jaeger

Although I'm mostly into collecting 1st party Nintendo stuff in general, I think shmup collectors are the coolest and worthy of the most respect.

Again, this is coming from someone who is not a shmup collector.... I just feel like they have the coolest setups and most rad gaming skills.

I agree. I keep contemplating starting an STG collection again. So many wonderful titles and focus areas one could do.

nah, i'm console only.

That's an effective way to keep costs down and save money, for sure. Although some ports after rarity/availability and all that kick in can costs more than the arcade releases. Twice now I've spent just as much or more on ports for my collection than some of the arcade counterparts. @_@ But... I... must...!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hey, dont give each other any funny ideas that just help increase the prices even further!
joking
or am i?

I like the more bizarre ports, even though they are mainly bloody awful! I'm not selling any games at the moment, all the ports I have are ones that I treasure in one way or another. Collection wise I just ended up with them since I went after loads of Capcom stuff a few years back. I ended up with a few nice Saturn ports - all the fighters basically Zero 1-3, the Vs games, Dungeons and Dragons double pack, Cyberbots CE, even Final Fight Revenge!

Speaking of Megaman games though, yeah that was my addiction for years until I ended up with pretty much every one released, including some package variants (like Megaman 2 from Germany, which got a much better box art compared to USA or UK), PC Asian releases like Rockman Strategy, Rockman X Math Tornado, Gold Empire etc.
Plus stuff like Wily Wars, Rockman EXE for the Wonderswan, EXE 4.5 for the GBA, Rockman & Forte for the Wonderswan, 1&3 for the PC etc. Its an awesome series to collect, plus since I love the series so much I've played through almost all the games in my collection (just need to finish a couple of the RPG's).

The pictures are pretty large, so I won't flood this page with them!

Just wondering why you have so many variations if they all play the same (save for being different languages and 50 vs 60 fps)? Also, GH versions too?

Score! I'll probably grab as many Final Fight titles as possible and that is high on the list and the most expensive in most cases. Congrats!

Your Mega Man collection is fucking impressive! Just got hella inspired there. I guess knowing I'm not alone in this kind of desire helps me alot.

I've managed to get most/all of the Final Fight games I think. I got the first one for the Mega CD (love the port, LOVE the music). I then got the Japanese releases of 2 and 3 (Tough) for the Super Famicom. 2 is ok, looks great but feels a bit bland in my opinion. 3 is better, plays much better. Bloody expensive though! Revenge is either "so bad its almost good fun" or I'm just forcing myself to get some enjoyment out of it to justify my purchase! Its funny, with some of my Saturn stuff I got later in my collecting I don't have much of a recollection on why I really ended up with them, so looking back at my collection is sorta surprising. I've got a few nice Shmups that I forgot I picked up!

Glad you like the Megaman stuff :) Its one of the only four gaming related things I've been tempted to properly try to collect - the other three being Game and Watch games (that's a work in progress), the Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku games and PS Vita. Its a great series to collect for, since I enjoy the series so much so I know I'll play all the games, plus going after the more obscure Japanese releases was a lot of fun.

Just wondering why you have so many variations if they all play the same? Also, GH versions too?

No reason really, its just the only series that I have such a huge connection to that I really wanted to go after everything I could find. But my thought process was this:

First just get one of each individual game regardless of region. I got lucky and snagged some real good deals starting out - Wily Wars for £25, Megaman 1 for the NES boxed and complete for £10 plus all the legacy games I had from when I grew up.

I then went after the regional variants because - I wanted all PAL releases because I'm from the UK, so I wanted all MM games released in Europe.

I wanted all Japanese releases because they almost always have the best box art and manuals and are just much nicer to look at in terms of the manuals and box art. Plus there are games like the Zero games that are uncensored and other minor changes etc.

The USA stuff I just went for completions sake.

The PC games were a huge draw for me due to the big boxes. They look great and have some pretty huge boxes in the case of the Japanese/Asian releases. They were also surprisingly hard to find, thrill of the hunt and all that really lead me to grab as many as possible.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Its shit like this that make the games so expensive for us!
I am totally the same way though :(

I've managed to get most/all of the Final Fight games I think. I got the first one for the Mega CD (love the port, LOVE the music). I then got the Japanese releases of 2 and 3 (Tough) for the Super Famicom. 2 is ok, looks great but feels a bit bland in my opinion. 3 is better, plays much better. Bloody expensive though! Revenge is either "so bad its almost good fun" or I'm just forcing myself to get some enjoyment out of it to justify my purchase! Its funny, with some of my Saturn stuff I got later in my collecting I don't have much of a recollection on why I really ended up with them, so looking back at my collection is sorta surprising. I've got a few nice Shmups that I forgot I picked up!

Glad you like the Megaman stuff :) Its one of the only four gaming related things I've been tempted to properly try to collect - the other three being Game and Watch games (that's a work in progress), the Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku games and PS Vita. Its a great series to collect for, since I enjoy the series so much so I know I'll play all the games, plus going after the more obscure Japanese releases was a lot of fun.

No reason really, its just the only series that I have such a huge connection to that I really wanted to go after everything I could find. But my thought process was this:

First just get one of each individual game regardless of region. I got lucky and snagged some real good deals starting out - Wily Wars for £25, Megaman 1 for the NES boxed and complete for £10 plus all the legacy games I had from when I grew up.

I then went after the regional variants because - I wanted all PAL releases because I'm from the UK, so I wanted all MM games released in Europe.

I wanted all Japanese releases because they almost always have the best box art and manuals and are just much nicer to look at in terms of the manuals and box art. Plus there are games like the Zero games that are uncensored and other minor changes etc.

The PC games were a huge draw for me due to the big boxes. They look great and have some pretty huge boxes in the case of the Japanese/Asian releases. They were also surprisingly hard to find, thrill of the hunt and all that really lead me to grab as many as possible.

Alright, I see what you're saying. It's definitely the largest I've ever seen, and that playchoice-10 MM3 must be really fun to use. Also those Japanese boxes and the famicom cartridges themselves look great. The Mega Man Zero games being censored always bothered me. I was hoping romhacks would exist to create english versions of those at least. Reading probably isn't a necessity for Mega Man games but the Zero games have quite a lot of dialog. I also never knew about Rock Board so I might pick that up.

Maybe in the future, a repro of Megaman 2 with VRC6 audio will be released, so that could be something to potentially append to your collection (I sure as hell would want it). I don't know how any of that stuff works but maybe you'd have to buy one of the 3 VRC6 sound chip games and just reprogram mega man 2 into it, although as far as I know, no actual hack exists but maybe someone is working on it since the soundtrack has been distributed in NSF format. I wouldn't know if it was as simple as reprogramming a cartridge or not though (I hope so). I'm also usually against re-arrangements but this one sounds really legit and very well done. Feels like a lot of thought was put it into it, and it still retains the 8-bit feel, unlike the MSU-1 for SNES. I'm really not a fan of using CD/Symphonic audio to replace the 16-bit tracks, however the prospect of FMVs in an SNES game sounds amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmthY75368g&feature=youtu.be&t=45

Jaeger

I wouldn't mind getting a few of those.

It's gonna be a bitch to get, only because I'm poor and getting what I was able to get now was due to selling other stuff from the collections. But for completion sake getting the Arcade PCBs is a must. Which is why it will be the last thing I try and get.

I'm the same way. I'm getting every variation of every port of possible. Greatest Hits/Best, Capcore, the works. If it looks different or plays different in any way I'm getting it. PAL, Japanese, US.

So both of these.

anyone else have impressions of those 8Bitdo SNES controllers?

I use one of the official, original sega made Saturn USB pads for all my emulators but i like the idea of having that for my Wii.

Also Super Castlevania 4 soundtrack is still great.

Been playing Phantasy Star 1 on the PS2 collection lately. Easy mode + increased walk speed + frame skip make it more bearable. and I'll admit something shamefuru--i'm using maps. So, I may as well not be playing the game but it's still fun lol

Anyone have an opinion on the PS2 remake of Phantasy Star 1? It's translated, but reviews seem a bit mixed on it.

I agree. I keep contemplating starting an STG collection again. So many wonderful titles and focus areas one could do.

That's an effective way to keep costs down and save money, for sure. Although some ports after rarity/availability and all that kick in can costs more than the arcade releases. Twice now I've spent just as much or more on ports for my collection than some of the arcade counterparts. @_@ But... I... must...!

Yeah, I looked up R-type Leo on ebay and conversion boards (which I've never heard of before but just seem like old boards flashed with a different game?) are $300. And from what I understand, that's kind of low heh

anyone else have impressions of those 8Bitdo SNES controllers?

I use one of the official, original sega made Saturn USB pads for all my emulators but i like the idea of having that for my Wii.

Also Super Castlevania 4 soundtrack is still great.

I've heard they're good in the retropie thread.

I'd love to see them make a bluetooth Saturn controller with both Start and Select buttons like the PS2 SLS ones.

Khaz

Been playing Phantasy Star 1 on the PS2 collection lately. Easy mode + increased walk speed + frame skip make it more bearable. and I'll admit something shamefuru--i'm using maps. So, I may as well not be playing the game but it's still fun lol

Well I started playing it on my Master System yesterday. I had the retranslation flashed on a cartridge but for some reason never took the time to actually play it. I have to say I enjoy both the new script and the new music.

The first hour can be quite brutal, until you start being able to buy new gear and get more experience levels. Abusing the save system is a necessity early on, but after a while the game becomes really enjoyable. I only use maps for some dungeons because I don't want to draw them, but no overworld map or walkthrough. So far I haven't been lost, and wandering around gave me much needed experience and meseta.

I ended up my session yesterday by
going to Medusa's tower, because Tylon said earlier she had a cool axe useful to kill LaShiec. I got brutally murdered by the first monster and I won't come back here until much later ^^

I'd love to see them make a bluetooth Saturn controller with both Start and Select buttons like the PS2 SLS ones.

Why do you hate my wallet so much?

Well I started playing it on my Master System yesterday. I had the retranslation flashed on a cartridge but for some reason never took the time to actually play it. I have to say I enjoy both the new script and the new music.

The first hour can be quite brutal, until you start being able to buy new gear and get more experience levels. Abusing the save system is a necessity early on, but after a while the game becomes really enjoyable. I only use maps for some dungeons because I don't want to draw them, but no overworld map or walkthrough. So far I haven't been lost, and wandering around gave me much needed experience and meseta.

I ended up my session yesterday by
going to Medusa's tower, because Tylon said earlier she had a cool axe useful to kill LaShiec. I got brutally murdered by the first monster and I won't come back here until much later ^^

The game itself is pretty tiny, it seems. It doesn't seem like Final Fantasy 1 or something where you can really wander off.

I'm wondering if anyone has played the remake.

I'm the same way. I'm getting every variation of every port of possible. Greatest Hits/Best, Capcore, the works. If it looks different or plays different in any way I'm getting it. PAL, Japanese, US.

Have you seen these Capcom Generations editions, they are really nice hard back colour guides that also come with a copy of the games. I've got all the ones that exist to my knowledge - All 5 Capcom Generations games, Pang, Strider II, Dynasty Wars 2 and Rockman 1&2 (I'd have loved to get 3-6 in this style :( )

Jaeger

Have you seen these Capcom Generations editions, they are really nice hard back colour guides that also come with a copy of the games. I've got all the ones that exist to my knowledge - All 5 Capcom Generations games, Pang, Strider II, Dynasty Wars 2 and Rockman 1&2 (I'd have loved to get 3-6 in this style :( )

No clue those existed. OMG. I Just need 5. Guess I have to start looking high and low.

No clue those existed. OMG. I Just need 5. Guess I have to start looking high and low.

I swear Japan gets some of the nicest looking exclusives. I was happy to stumble onto these when I was still building up my Megaman collection. Glad to see that you managed to get a copy of 5 :)

Jaeger

I swear Japan gets some of the nicest looking exclusives. I was happy to stumble onto these when I was still building up my Megaman collection. Glad to see that you managed to get a copy of 5 :)

All thx to you, bro! And for a very reasonable price. That was less than the jewel cases for Volume 5. Now to get the other two versions. lol

japan has something like several thousand unlocalized PS1 games. I'm sure most of it is trash but there's a lot of interesting stuff in there.

Jaeger

I went ahead and snagged a few more SF2 related titles while I was on eBay. That makes like 7 this week. Things are moving along. Slowly but surely. Knocked out a rare one while I was at it.

I went ahead and snagged a few more SF2 related titles while I was on eBay. That makes like 7 this week. Things are moving along. Slowly but surely. Knocked out a rare one while I was at it.

Do you have that PS1 FMV game with the animated movie? I forget what it's called. I just learned it existed like a month ago.

Do you have that PS1 FMV game with the animated movie? I forget what it's called. I just learned it existed like a month ago.

I wanted to give that a try, I just wish the game consisted of more gameplay than watching the movie then fighting Ryu in one final fight (unless I'm wrong!)

The live action movie game is a guilty pleasure of mine. Its bad, but I still like to play it from time to time... plus I seem to remember the arcade version of the game had a different set of characters?

Jaeger

I used to have it on the Saturn. Ripped all the sprites of the bot from it too. But I don't have any interest it that title again. I'm trying to stick to the core games. That one while bearing the title is a little off track for me. Lol fun game though.

I wanted to give that a try, I just wish the game consisted of more gameplay than watching the movie then fighting Ryu in one final fight (unless I'm wrong!)

The live action movie game is a guilty pleasure of mine. Its bad, but I still like to play it from time to time... plus I seem to remember the arcade version of the game had a different set of characters?

Some of them are in both. They also play differently from one another.

Jaeger

So another question to my collectors friends. What is the grail in your collection? Whether you have been able to obtain it yet or not. What is that one game that you just have to have, and/or may be worth the absolute most?

For me, I think the CPS Changer games will be the absolute most difficult to ever get, let alone their price will be astronomical.

Mzo

I own a hell of a lot of Mega Man games, but those were bought way before the current Mega Man inflation bubble that makes buying these games way too daunting.

As for subjects to collect, the only ones I'm really go for, regardless of quality, are Treasure developed games, Wonder Boy games, and Prince of Persia versions.

Khaz

So another question to my collectors friends. What is the grail in your collection? Whether you have been able to obtain it yet or not. What is that one game that you just have to have, and/or may be worth the absolute most?

I won't tell you, because then you will look for it too and snatch the cheap copy I should have found first.

Top Bottom