• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Sums up all of my thoughts exactly. I don't really bring up games to uninterested parties much either... that's why I talk to all of you fine folk on GAF.

Most people in my life who come over and see my collection are shocked to see I'm so into it, because I generally don't come across as the gamer "type".

A handful of people know I have a lot of games and thats only because my wife and kids talk about, or show it off. I don't really care what other people think, I do this because I like it, not for bragging rights. If someone asks me if I have seen this game, or played that game, I'll talk about it, but thats about it.

BearChair

I asked this in the PS1 appreciation thread but didn't get a satisfactory answer, so I'm hoping you folks can help me.

I've got a plastic bin full of PS1 games in my parents' basement, and I want to play them again. I also never experienced the PS2 era because it was the same time I got into PC gaming.

I also know there were a lot of Japanese games that were amazing for both of these consoles

I'd like to combine these things if possible, but I'm not sure what the best method would be.

Does anyone sell a PS2 that already has a mod chip to play US and Japanese games? Is it cheaper at this point to just buy a used Japanese PS2 and a US one? Is there an option that I don't even know about.

The key is that I want to be able to play all these old games that I have but possibly experience some new ones too.

Peltz

I asked this in the PS1 appreciation thread but didn't get a satisfactory answer, so I'm hoping you folks can help me.

I've got a plastic bin full of PS1 games in my parents' basement, and I want to play them again. I also never experienced the PS2 era because it was the same time I got into PC gaming.

I also know there were a lot of Japanese games that were amazing for both of these consoles

I'd like to combine these things if possible, but I'm not sure what the best method would be.

Does anyone sell a PS2 that already has a mod chip to play US and Japanese games? Is it cheaper at this point to just buy a used Japanese PS2 and a US one? Is there an option that I don't even know about.

The key is that I want to be able to play all these old games that I have but possibly experience some new ones too.

You're probably best off buying 2 PS2s from different regions at this point. They're dirt cheap.

As far as I know, these are the options:

-a ps2 from each region
-a case modded PS2 with swap discs (don't do this)
-a ps2 with a modchip (a bit out of date)
-a soft modded ps2 with FreeMC boot (cheapest and easiest)
-a DTL debug PS2 (most expensive)

D.Lo

-a ps2 from each region
Soft mod won't run PS1 discs.

Separate region PS2s would be easiest.

It doesn't take much to swap discs though for ps1 backups/imports.

If you're talking about doing it on the fly, that's a very bad idea and will scratch the hell out of the middle plastic ring on every game.

It does work though.
Lookup PSXLauncher.elf. You can swap using some software that gets the timing perfect. All you need is a good way to get at the disc without tripping the open drive sensors. I went so far as to install a switch onto my ps2 slim that controlled the sensor signal but there are simpler methods.

Just get 2 different region PS2's. They are cheap. Hell I went crazy and I have a fat US PS2 with OPL, a slim JP PS2 for those rare JP PS2 games that just don't work, and a JP PSOne for games like Gradius Gaiden that do not work properly on PS2.

KC-Slater

Both system and game were brand spanking new, fresh from the factory sealed boxes...

GAF... I finally own a NGPC!!!

There's something special abut opening deadstock NIB items, especially if it's something you've wanted for a long time. Congrats man!

What's wrong with it?

That was under the assumption that soft mods would allow ps1 games.
Lookup PSXLauncher.elf. You can swap using some software that gets the timing perfect. All you need is a good way to get at the disc without tripping the open drive sensors. I went so far as to install a switch onto my ps2 slim that controlled the sensor signal but there are simpler methods.

Thought he meant the method where you boot a ps1 game, then rip it out and throw a new one in while the drive is spinning- it's a thing lol

Anyway, thought this was all simpler, i will shut up now hah

IrishNinja

-a ps2 from each region

FUCK. SWAP. DISCS.

yeah, my old PS2 had a swap disc case mod but it really wasn't ideal...i still gotta mess more with free Mcboot but HDD loader is my jam

Ive caught the retro bug

everdrives, bruh

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
419CVQ8K9HL._SX385_.jpg

Tempted to pick up a PSOne. I wonder how hard it is to find them in like new shape.

I love the aesthetics of the PS One! I got mine @ a flea market. Was dirty but it cleaned up nicely. I imagine it's not too hard to find a nice condition one, and if not, it's easy enough to clean with like, magic eraser and water.

If you're talking about doing it on the fly, that's a very bad idea and will scratch the hell out of the middle plastic ring on every game.

It does work though.

On my ps2 slim the drive stops spinning when you pop the lid open. I have the sensors blocked out. Nice and easy.

televator

So I'm gonna buy some silica gel desiccant packs. 1 gram packs are more than enough and cost effective on eBay. 1/2 gram is good for 70 cubic inches and standard DVD cases are ~24 cubic inches.

Anybody else think this is a good idea for preserving games? According to certain standards, discs should be maintained in humid free environments. This could also apply to the contacts on cartridge based games. It should keep them from developing corrosion.

entremet

419CVQ8K9HL._SX385_.jpg

Tempted to pick up a PSOne. I wonder how hard it is to find them in like new shape.

I saw one at my local thrift shop. It was gone the next week lol.

I regret not buying it. I want one with the monitor as a little novelty system.

The PS1 still remains my favorite Sony system.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Is the Game Boy Advance SP's battery known for leaking? I have a sealed Classic NES SP that I was keeping as a collectible but if a leaking battery is going to ruin the damn thing I'll unbox it to get the battery out.

Would it get annoying if I started posted a bunch of retro pickups here? I'm going to be buying a LOT of games over the next couple weeks and I don't think it's ever going to be just one platform.

Peltz

Is the Game Boy Advance SP's battery known for leaking? I have a sealed Classic NES SP that I was keeping as a collectible but if a leaking battery is going to ruin the damn thing I'll unbox it to get the battery out.
My GBA SPs have never leaked... I have 3 of them, including an NES model.

Can't say I've ever heard anyone else mention leaks either.

Chinner

Banned
Would it get annoying if I started posted a bunch of retro pickups here? I'm going to be buying a LOT of games over the next couple weeks and I don't think it's ever going to be just one platform.
Nope! Question is do we use the appropriate threads or just this one?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I only find pickup posts annoying because it's basically like showing off "Look how much money I have."

entremet

Might revive the ps1 retro thread. Thread doesn't deserve to be dead!

Pretty sure that thread is still active.

I have subs to almost all the retro gaf threads and it seems to get bumped with consistency.

I would like it.

I vicariously collect through others too lol.

The pickup threads on the gaming side are filled with stuff I just don't find appealing to see.

Nothing really exciting about seeing iPads, sneakers, or PC parts. Not shitting on it, but I just don't find them interesting.

I do love the retro pickups that litter those threads here and there.

Neo Geo Pocket Colour might still be my favourite handheld... I remember getting one around the time that SNK Vs Capcom was released. That game still sits as my favourite handheld fighter of all time, in part thanks to the excellent joystick on the handheld. Plus it played like a dream and had tons of content/stuff to unlock. I loved the clam shell boxes the games came in as well, so much nicer compared to the Japanese cardboard boxes the games got.
Rockman Battle & Fighters is a fairly decent import for the handheld as well, just wish it had more music and was much harder. Even on the hardest difficulty its still too easy for me. I do love the NES 8 bit style graphics they used for the game as well, it worked perfectly for the port.

televator

Plz post pics of that. I'm going to be moving to a new house with humidity control soon which should help but I might be interested in doing the same just in case.

Sure thing. My packs should arrive on Saturday. I think it'll work out great. When I look through my collection, I've noticed that some discs get "foggy" from what I believe is moisture from both atmosphere and leftover from cleaning liquids.

Top Bottom