• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Finished my Sonic themed Bartop. Still need to tweak some things but I think it turned out pretty good.

32LlGyO.jpg

57E0sBo.jpg

yFSyAJe.jpg

fyNTTEc.jpg

Out of all of the Arcade games, the first on my son wants to play is SMB

Bubba77

Finished my Sonic themed Bartop. Still need to tweak some things but I think it turned out pretty good.

That looks great! How long did it take you?

My kids love turtles in time and marvel vs capcom of all things. Is that the gameroomsolutions.com plan? It looks very close. After painstakingly building mine I wish I went the kit route!

Heres mine. running retropie as well.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/uYB42e9.jpg)

DeadTrees

If anyone's interested in C64/Amiga stuff and has money to burn, this guy (a megacollector from Lemon64) has been auctioning off his pathologically insane collection of "thousands" of mostly CIB games. How insane, you ask? He's currently auctioning his third copy of Rendezvous with Rama since November.

Most ludicrous winning bids:

Ghosts 'n Goblins: $112
Street Fighter: $237
Plastic face version of Suspended: $340
Spelunker: $225
Prototype of Crystal Castles: $404

That looks great! How long did it take you?

My kids love turtles in time and marvel vs capcom of all things. Is that the gameroomsolutions.com plan? It looks very close. After painstakingly building mine I wish I went the kit route!

Heres mine. running retropie as well.

[Imgur](http://i.imgur.com/uYB42e9.jpg)

Yep, thats where I got it from and nice job on the cabinet, looks good. I assembled them over a couple of weeks mainly because of work. He did a nice job and setting up the control panel was a bit of a rats nest, but it all worked out. This was my only option if I wanted an Arcade cabinet in the house. I was looking for several on craigslist but my wife quickly put a stop to it. Not a big fan of emulation, but someones got to show these games to the younger generation.

that's looks like a dream cab. so jealous =)

i picked up some retro games today, will post my small finds in a bit.
I love it

Thanks!

Where abouts? I'm in NJ and would love a place besides Digital Press to find games at.

*edit* nevermind just looked up powered by games, down the shore of course where all the retro stores seem to be. I swear there is NOTHING in Northern NJ except for Digital Press.

televator

My packets came in.
Easy enough to understand, I suppose. I'm pretty sure each packet changes color depending on how much they have adsorbed. I'm also pretty sure that even if a packet adsorbs to its maximum they can be easily refreshed by gradually warming them up. i assume their color should go back to normal as well.

That's what a 1g pack looks like in the case. Non intrusive and ought to be more than effective.

televator

Some more findings on my silica packets. Dual CD PS1 cases accommodate them perfectly, but single CD sized cases are a no go. I think the best solution there would be to find some cellophane CD case sleeves, and just toss a packet in sleeve with the CD case.

So now I need sleeves and another 200 or more packets. This is going to be applied to the entirety of my physical media library.

I have another project that I've been putting off for too long. Which is to swap batteries in all of my carts. Not just swap for newer batteries, but bigger batteries. As long as voltage is the same, there's no issue with having a bigger amperage reservoir. The cart will only draw what it needs and the end result is a battery save that lasts significantly longer.

Where abouts? I'm in NJ and would love a place besides Digital Press to find games at.

*edit* nevermind just looked up powered by games, down the shore of course where all the retro stores seem to be. I swear there is NOTHING in Northern NJ except for Digital Press.

yeah it's Powered by Games, i see you got it by the labels lol
i was in the area yesterday but in northern jersey myself. i haven't checked out Digital Press. maybe i'll stop by this week.

Bubba77

Digital Press is awesome but there are others in North Jersey. gamezone in Hillsdale, NJ. Retro classics in Somerville, NJ.

Gamezone has a bunch of great stuff but asking high prices for it which is fine.

My favorite stores are in South Jersey where I live, but when Im in North Jersey I always stop by digital press and gamezone.

Digital Press is awesome but there are others in North Jersey. gamezone in Hillsdale, NJ. Retro classics in Somerville, NJ.

Gamezone has a bunch of great stuff but asking high prices for it which is fine.

My favorite stores are in South Jersey where I live, but when Im in North Jersey I always stop by digital press and gamezone.

yeah the name is what you just quoted, do you know any retro game stores near the princeton/rutgers area?

televator

What are the silica packets for?

Moisture. I've had a problem with discs becoming clouddy/hazy while being stored and not handled for prolonged periods. Discs should be stored in humid free, constant temperature environments to maintain their function long term.

Bubba77

yeah the name is what you just quoted, do you know any retro game stores near the princeton/rutgers area?

No. But I live about 40 minutes from princeton and we have 3 stores. So if you do want to make a trip theres a bunch. 1 in blackwood NJ called NextLevel videogames. 1 in Runnemeade, NJ called All Gen. And 1 in Woodbury called all things video games

Havoc2049

If anyone's interested in C64/Amiga stuff and has money to burn, this guy (a megacollector from Lemon64) has been auctioning off his pathologically insane collection of "thousands" of mostly CIB games. How insane, you ask? He's currently auctioning his third copy of Rendezvous with Rama since November.

Most ludicrous winning bids:

Ghosts 'n Goblins: $112
Street Fighter: $237
Plastic face version of Suspended: $340
Spelunker: $225
Prototype of Crystal Castles: $404

All the awesome C-64 Electronic Arts folio releases the seller has up right now makes me want to go buy a C-64. :)

Always awesome to see collectors auction off their collections on ebay. There was a guy a few years ago that auctioned off an amazing museum worthy computer game collection consisting of everything from the Vic-20 to modern day PC games, with every popular and obscure computer platform in-between.

I hadn't heard of them I'll have to give them a try. I like Digital Press but their pricing is weird at times. Sometimes under on some shit, and then stuff that should be dirt cheap is way overpriced.

entremet

Moisture. I've had a problem with discs becoming clouddy/hazy while being stored and not handled for prolonged periods. Discs should be stored in humid free, constant temperature environments to maintain their function long term.

That's pretty intense.

I think I'll be going the ripping route with my disc collections and save them on the cloud.

I can't be arsed to be so meticulous lol. But looks like a great idea.

I hadn't heard of them I'll have to give them a try. I like Digital Press but their pricing is weird at times. Sometimes under on some shit, and then stuff that should be dirt cheap is way overpriced.

Isn't that par for the course with retail, though? They have rents, utilities, and employees to pay. That surely adds to the price.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got my Everdrive N8 in! I can't try it out yet since my Twin is being taken RGB modded by Baphomet atm but it looks nice!
Got the custom version because I wanted it to match my Twin in redness and I like that black label better.

Would this be advisable for carts, boxes and manuals, too? I am storing my stuff in my basement. It's pretty dry but it's not totally moisture-free. I have been considering plastic storage bins that are air-tight (or supposed to be - the kind with a seal and clamps on the lids). Silica in there wouldn't hurt, I guess?

televator

Would this be advisable for carts, boxes and manuals, too? I am storing my stuff in my basement. It's pretty dry but it's not totally moisture-free. I have been considering plastic storage bins that are air-tight (or supposed to be - the kind with a seal and clamps on the lids). Silica in there wouldn't hurt, I guess?

Yes. I'm adding silica to my entire physical media collection. That includes carts. It'll help preserve manuals, boxes, artwork, and literature by keeping moisture away from them. A lot of game covers and manuals become warped as they absorb moisture. The metal contacts on carts would also benefit as the silica will prevent corrosion due to moisture.

It's very cheap insurance. A batch of 200 only cost 9 bucks shipped. I probably could have gotten an even better value by buying more all at once but I wanted to sort of just test fitment on DVD cases first. I'll be ordering more soon.

Khaz

Do you have to do something with it before using them? How do you know when one is fully hydrated and done with?

televator

So are you putting a pack in every case/box? What's the suggested ratio?

Yes I am. Though it may be over kill, I doubt there's any negative effect of going over.

Accordding to this, 1/2 gram of silica is good for 70"^3 within a sealed container. A standard DVD is roughly less than 24"^3.

The packs I have are 1 whole gram, which is good for 130"^3. My games are stored on a shelf and I don't plan on storing them in bulk as you are in sealed containers. DVD cases aren't really air tight so in my case 1 whole gram per DVD won't hurt anything.

You can use the link I showed to tailor the amount of silica to your needs. Generally speaking, I think it may be better to have more silica than you need than not enough.

Isn't that par for the course with retail, though? They have rents, utilities, and employees to pay. That surely adds to the price.

Yeah I get that I'm not expecting forum discount levels. Sometimes they'll be fairly priced on stuff and then other times they'll have something super common that is insane ebay buy it now price, plus another 50% on top of that. It's just weird. I'm not saying they're bad or anything just weird now and again.

No. But I live about 40 minutes from princeton and we have 3 stores. So if you do want to make a trip theres a bunch. 1 in blackwood NJ called NextLevel videogames. 1 in Runnemeade, NJ called All Gen. And 1 in Woodbury called all things video games

was going to stop by gamezone today but it's snowing =/

Hawk269

I lost my copy of Shenmue and was recently getting back into the Dreamcast. I played probably 15 different games on the Dreamcast over the last 2-3 days and was able to find a copy of Shenmue at a good price. The only thing is that my DC does not want to load the game. I tried other games and have had no issues with any game other than Shenmue.

I have a second DC and brought that out and it loaded Shenmue no problem. So not sure why it does not want to load on the other DC. On the system menu it recognizes the disk, but it goes to the Sega Splash screen and it takes a while, I then get a Now Loading message, but it just sits there or eventually goes back to the main system menu. As stated, it loads perfectly fine on the 2nd DC.

Is this a sign that the drive is going out? How much and how hard is it to replace. I always wanted to have 2 Systems in case one dies on me and it seems like that is happening, so now I want to have another backup and just wondering how hard it is to fix it?

entremet

Yeah I get that I'm not expecting forum discount levels. Sometimes they'll be fairly priced on stuff and then other times they'll have something super common that is insane ebay buy it now price, plus another 50% on top of that. It's just weird. I'm not saying they're bad or anything just weird now and again.

Funnily enough, after I write that post, I visited a retro store last night and saw SNES Yoshi's Island for 80 bucks!

What. The. Hell?!

The top label was all torn up and had heavy sun damage too. Cart only too.

This hole-in-the-wall Retro Game store had Awesome Possum priced at $65 cart only. After I laughed, I figured they thought it was Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel. Overall the prices were around Ebay but this one stuck out.

Anth0ny

Got my Everdrive N8 in! I can't try it out yet since my Twin is being taken RGB modded by Baphomet atm but it looks nice!

Got the custom version because I wanted it to match my Twin in redness and I like that black label better.

Beautiful. I want a custom made Everdrive as well but it's so damn expensive >_< Gotta wait for the right time...

This hole-in-the-wall Retro Game store had Awesome Possum priced at $65 cart only. After I laughed, I figured they thought it was Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel. Overall the prices were around Ebay but this one stuck out.

Im at Game Zone right now... Grabbing some more retro games =), nothing too special at this store as the one down in south jersey. Just going to grab:

Ps1 colony wars, pitfall 3d,
ps2 onimusha, zone of enders, an sd gundam game

All for about 5 bucks ea

televator

As I was going through my games, while placing silica packs, I noticed how worn my copy of Rogue Leader II was. It dawned on me that this game... this exact copy... is the oldest copy of any game I have personally possessed. Ever.

Every game from Dreamcast on down eventually got sold, stolen, or gifted away. It wasn't until the GameCube that I was both savvy enough and at liberty to hoard my games. Rogue Leader being the first GC game I owned then makes it the game longest in my possession.

I'd be curious as to what other people's longest owned copy of a game is.

I have my original copy of tele-games for the Atari, or "Sears", I don't why tho. It's so old I would feel bad if I trashed it. Wish i had my Original Pong unit though.

i think i still have my neo geo pocket w sonic and metal slug somewhere in my parents.
but the oldest is prob my lynx game or a gameboy color game (i think?) i haven't been back to my parents to check... but after seeing all these retroGAF threads, all the stuff i thought was junk is pretty damn valuable =) i need my working designs lunar box and cloth map. lol

televator

My copy of Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt that came with the NES my family bought in 1991.

That was my first game ever. It came in the combo NES my parents bought me. We kept everything it the original box. Sadly that all got given away to a cousin. I showed my dad how much a CIB NES goes nowadays and he cringed. lol

D.Lo

As I was going through my games, while placing silica packs, I noticed how worn my copy of Rogue Leader II was. It dawned on me that this game... this exact copy... is the oldest copy of any game I have personally possessed. Ever.
I have a 1990 Game Boy Tetris (likely a 1989 copy of course, but I got it in 90).

And I think a 1990 Goonies II for NES?

I still have a bunch of Odyssey 2 cartridges I received as a hand me down from some cousins when I was 4. The oldest is probably Speedway / Crypto-logic from 1978. I haven't checked to see if the thing still works in probably 25 years.

So I bought a pretty cheap multimeter at Walmart. Inserted battery, turned it on - nothing. Doesn't seem to register anything on any setting. What's the easiest way to test it? Seems I may have just gone too cheap.

I sold my original NES stuff. Staring with GameBoy, I began to keep things. I have my GB and copies of Tetris and Metroid II that I got when I bought it in 92.

Top Bottom