• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Tiny little haul of Dragon Spirit and a TenNoKoe Bank card (which seems to not be working :( ) *edit* got it working yay! Full of 3X3 eyes and Sailor Moon saves!

24807461582_b08514f5f8_h.jpg

IrishNinja

oh yeah, love seeing good pickups!

This is RetroGAF. We don't dip toes, we go balls deep.

this might become the thread's official subtitle

I love the design of the original PlayStation 1, I prefer dem straight lines over the curves of the psone.

+1 - the one is adorable, but i have too much love for the PSX

What am I doing, I don't even own a Saturn.

haha! they're prolly cheap enough though, god knows ive got jaguar/etc games without the hardware yet too

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So what's the best of the clone hardware for playing third and fourth generation software on a modern television? I have a friend who's a big TMNT fan and I'd love to collect all the TMNT games from her youth and package them together along with something to play them on that's going to be reliable and look decent on a HDTV.

Peltz

That has to be the wobbliest Segata Sanshiro GIF I've ever seen.
Just ordered a shielded Saturn RGB cable from everyone's favorite eBay seller (she's back!)

Now I just need Saturn hardware, controllers and games lol.

This is the first time I bought a cable before everything else.

Yesterday's pickups:

I'm visiting Japan in case that wasn't obvious.

Today's bookoff stopoff was kind of a bust, but tomorrow I will be going to a Wattmann Tech and maybe a HardOff so I should have way better luck. Apparently I'm buying a Saturn; I'll try to get a white one if there's one in good condition. Might also get a PC Engine, N64, and Dreamcast if I can find good prices.

Took forever to finally get mine after the first one got lost in the mail... turns out it doesn't work with doujindace's region-modded Duo-R. :(

Well, there's a fix for this but I have zero soldering experience. Blah.

That's why I'm not going to try and get my duo region modded. Plus I don't like how the region mod basically can't be undone (or at least all the ones I've seen).

Peltz

Just picked up Power Stone (complete!) for DC during my lunch break today (and I get to leave the office at a normal time for once so I can play it tonight!).

Can't wait to play it at the end of this bus ride. I've heard many great things about it.

Yesterday's pickups:

Today's bookoff stopoff was kind of a bust, but tomorrow I will be going to a Wattmann Tech and maybe a HardOff so I should have way better luck. Apparently I'm buying a Saturn; I'll try to get a white one if there's one in good condition. Might also get a PC Engine, N64, and Dreamcast if I can find good prices.

Japanese GCN game cases are a thing of beauty.

StevieWhite

Took forever to finally get mine after the first one got lost in the mail... turns out it doesn't work with doujindace's region-modded Duo-R. :(

Well, there's a fix for this but I have zero soldering experience. Blah.

Same thing happened to me. I have a spare Duo I might try RGB modding myself... but yeah, soldering can be intimidating.

Sooooo, today was a good day. Wattmann was OK, the one I went was very small but had a nice red N64 at a good price so I grabbed that and a few other things. The games were 300yen (~$3) each:

Since the Wattman didn't have any Saturns I decided to make a trip down the Nambu line to a HardOff that was only a 10 min walk from a station. I didn't go too crazy... spent a decent amount but the consoles were almost half the total cost:
HardOff was totally awesome, better even than I expected. This one wasn't huge but it had two full isles of retro games/hardware plus a bunch of junk bins. The DC and Saturn were in great shape and 4000yen each, and the games I got were all super cheap. Found some "junk" accessories for N64 for dirt cheap as well.

I think I might be almost done with shopping; got almost everything I wanted. Somehow there were zero VMUs but I can grab one on eBay later. No great PSP Go prices either but that was kinda in the maybe pile anyway.

Wooooooo retro shopping here is so much better than in Canada!

Teknoman

Its really good in person. Really sharp and even the smallest details pop out at you. Color is really vibrant too, and thats coming from a system that already prides itself on bright colors. Cant wait to play Bonk's Revenge with it!

The last of my systems has been RGB'd thanks to Baphomet.

kEx0fwz.jpg

this screen cap reminds me exactly of the classic huge tgx-16 magazine ad of Legendary Axe. (sorry, i'm no AmyS w/ amazing scans)

i wonder if they had some kind of RGB device for enhanced pictures used for their ads. this is just beautiful =)

Khaz

Oh ffs, everything keeps dying around me. I just received a couple of cassette tapes, only to find that my old walkman gave up on life. It will be easy to replace, but that's yet another delay and a $15 I could have spent elsewhere.

televator

Oh ffs, everything keeps dying around me. I just received a couple of cassette tapes, only to find that my old walkman gave up on life. It will be easy to replace, but that's yet another delay and a $15 I could have spent elsewhere.

Story of my life, Khaz. Story of my shit life.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Cool, my new receiver showed up. My current preamp was a piece of shit, and the most annoying issue it has is that everytime there's like a second of silence, it stops working... and when the sound kicks back in, it takes like a second or two to start working again. It's fucking dumb, and for old-school games, it's a constant problem. Going to be amazing once I hook this new thing up. I'll take a pic in a little bit.

Edit: The things I do for retro games

tFGCh7L.jpg

Yesterday's pickups:

Nintendo Puzzle Collection! So sad the localization was cancelled.

Cool, my new receiver showed up. My current preamp was a piece of shit, and the most annoying issue it has is that everytime there's like a second of silence, it stops working... and when the sound kicks back in, it takes like a second or two to start working again. It's fucking dumb, and for old-school games, it's a constant problem. Going to be amazing once I hook this new thing up. I'll take a pic in a little bit.

tFGCh7L.jpg

nice, i have a marantz too. one thing you should check, if you're hooking video through the receiver and outputting via hdmi to an hdtv. my marantz won't output 240p.
my ps2 component works but blanks out when playing ps1 games. but i'm sure retroGAF is outputting video alternately/directly to their RGB monitors.

Danny Dudekisser

nice, i have a marantz too. one thing you should check, if you're hooking video through the receiver and outputting via hdmi to an hdtv. my marantz won't output 240p.
my ps2 component works but blanks out when playing ps1 games. but i'm sure retroGAF is outputting video alternately/directly to their RGB monitors.

XRGB-ing it up, all day every day. So nothing 240p is going to hit the receiver or the TV.

And I kinda lied about this anyway. I'm putting together a separate old-school set up when I move into my house. With that, I'll probably still use an XRGB to the TV, and I'll skip the receiver altogether and just use a couple of active speakers and a DAC.

XRGB-ing it up, all day every day. So nothing 240p is going to hit the receiver or the TV.

And I kinda lied about this anyway. I'm putting together a separate old-school set up when I move into my house. With that, I'll probably still use an XRGB to the TV, and I'll skip the receiver altogether and just use a couple of active speakers and a DAC.

great receiver though! do the audyssey right, use a boom stand for the mic. you won't regret it. that's pretty much what you're paying for that separates this from lesser receivers =)

Peltz

Just ordered a shielded Saturn RGB cable from everyone's favorite eBay seller (she's back!)

Now I just need Saturn hardware, controllers and games lol.

This is the first time I bought a cable before everything else.

It happened, I finally own a Sega Saturn you guys!

They make such a cute couple :)

I also picked up the original Panzer Dragoon to start it off.

Danny Dudekisser

great receiver though! do the audyssey right, use a boom stand for the mic. you won't regret it. that's pretty much what you're paying for that separates this from lesser receivers =)

Yeah. And the DAC and all that is pretty great, as I understand it. Dicked around with it for a few minutes, and oddly enough, the video looks a lot better than it did on my processor (cuz this has legitimate passthrough; my previous thing didn't), and it seems to sound a better, too. That's without, of course, using the Audyssee stuff. I'll do all that after I move. For the time being, I really just wanted something that I could use to play Trails of Cold Steel that wouldn't annoy me to death.

entremet

tFGCh7L.jpg
Just curious, have you posted your set up in that yearly thread?

I'm always interested how gamers who do retro and modern mix things up.

Its always nice to discover a hidden gem... today I got my copy of Master of Darkness (for the Sega Master System) through the post. Its basically a carbon copy of Castlevania except its much easier.
I really enjoyed the game. Its a nice fast paced platformer with decent level design and fun boss fights. Weapons wise you get to choose between a knife, sword, hammer and axe. The axe is the most powerful weapon but has bad range. The sword has amazing range but not so great damage. The hammer is the middle ground between the two, great damage and range so that's what I stuck with most of the time. The only bad weapon is the knife. It has no range and pathetic damage. It always sucks going into a boss battle with that think equipped! You also get a decent number of decent sub weapons again in the same style as Castlevania.

The music is nice but nothing to write home about (Castlevania has this game beaten in this department).

The controls were excellent - you get far more control of your jumps in this game so there is less chance that you'll go leaping into a bottemless pit.

Its also fairly cheap, I got my complete copy for £17 which I thought was a great price. If I could change anything about the game it'd be the difficulty, I like my games a tad harder, so it didn't take me all that long to finish this one. Even the final boss doesn't really put up much of a fight!

Oh, and I also played through the Famicom port of Exed Exes today. That port just sucks though. So much screen flicker that its impossible to see what's going on. A bad port of an average arcade game.

Rich!

i somehow managed to find this motherfucker on a local facebook sales page

index8dyyq.jpg

£30. for all of that. oh, and you bet your ass that's an ags-101

Danny Dudekisser

Just curious, have you posted your set up in that yearly thread?

I'm always interested how gamers who do retro and modern mix things up.

I did back in like... 2009, when I lived at home. Things have changed a bit. I'll put some new stuff in that thread, but probably not till summer, because it's gonna take some time to get all the furniture and gaming hardware I need.

More pickups:

Not too much today, but some very nice prices on what I did grab. The HardOff in Hachioji is very big but had clearly been picked clean of almost anything good. I heard it's a popular spot for eBay resellers which makes sense. I did manage to dig through junk bins for 30 mins to find those Saturn memory carts though.

Probably done for realzies now. Maybe.

The screen on the neo geo pocket color is really a thing of beauty. Under the right light its so sharp and high contrast.

I wish there were more games made for it.

Top Bottom