• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Khaz

My first console game, still in my possession, is probably the copy of Shinobi for the Master System, which came with the console. As for which game bought separately hmm... Looking at the dates it's probably Dick Tracy SMS, which incidentally is also probably the shittiest game in my collection.

StevieWhite

If we're counting the Apple II, I think I still have the floppy for Wizardry, which my family picked up in 82. If not, it would be the SMB/Duck Hunt/WCTM cart. My parents gave away all our 2600 games when we got a NES. They would probably win handily otherwise.

BTails

I would've had a bunch of my Dad's old Apple IIgs games, but they're long gone. The oldest game in my collection (That would've been bought FOR ME), would be my copy of Mario Bros/Duck Hunt. Still have the manual too! Probably purchased around 1990.

-KRS-

Pretty sure it's my PAL cart of Journey to Silius for NES. I can't be totally sure though, because I sold all my NES stuff to a guy when I was a kid. But I later bought back a lot of stuff from him. And while he had multiple copies of most games and multiple NES units, he only had one copy of JTS. So I'm pretty sure that's the one I sold him.

Also, thanks to televator I just ordered 300 silica gel packs lol.

Timu

1st Game I played: Super Mario Bros. on NES
1st Console I owned: Sega Genesis
1st handheld I played on: Game Boy
1st handheld I owned: Game Boy Color

Rich!

1st Game I played: Game Boy Gallery (later that day I got Wario Land too), this was back in 1994.
1st Console I owned: SNES
1st handheld I played on: Game Boy
1st handheld I owned: Game Boy
1st PC I played on: BBC Micro
1st PC game played: Granny's Garden
1st PC owned: A windows 3.11 setup in 1995!

This is obviously based on my experience with consoles - I owned Tiger handhelds and one of these before 1994:

23e4263c8b246b13c049bcc04d9d316b.jpg

Balb

The game I've owned the longest is Super Mario World which came with our Super Nintendo. It's also the first game I've ever played.

KC-Slater

The game I've owned the longest, that I originally bought new (that I still own) is probably Pathways Into Darkness for my old Macintosh LC (1993/94 sometime.)

I used to sell my old consoles to fund my next console, so my original NES, Gameboy, Genesis (w/ 32X) and N64 are no longer with me. I kept my two Saturns and Dreamcast, and am certainly glad I did. Like many of you, I had to buy back my old games, as a grown-ass man...

Rich!

The game I've owned the longest is Super Mario World which came with our Super Nintendo. It's also the first game I've ever played.

That's the first console game I played. Well, kinda - my SNES came with Mario All Stars+World. SMB1 was the first I played on it.

Peltz

As I was going through my games, while placing silica packs, I noticed how worn my copy of Rogue Leader II was. It dawned on me that this game... this exact copy... is the oldest copy of any game I have personally possessed. Ever.

Every game from Dreamcast on down eventually got sold, stolen, or gifted away. It wasn't until the GameCube that I was both savvy enough and at liberty to hoard my games. Rogue Leader being the first GC game I owned then makes it the game longest in my possession.

I'd be curious as to what other people's longest owned copy of a game is.

NES with SMB+Duckhunt cart.

televator

I just did it for the hell of it though.=O Though to be fair, it would be interesting to know everyone's 1st game, console and such.

Yeah, that would be interesting, but I think that one game. That one worn ass trusty copy of a game with years of play and patina on it that you yourself caused sorta stands out more. Heh

NES with SMB+Duckhunt cart.

Damn. That duck hunt dog laughing at me. It has become a metaphor for what could have been. lol

dubc35

I think the oldest game I have is Renegade on NES. My brother bought the NES and he, for whatever reason, didn't like SMB so he didn't get the bundle and bought Renegade instead, lol.

I'm pretty sure I don't have my old Sierra computer games (King's Quest & Space Quest). All I really have to say is fuck Thexder. Fuck that game. So many repressed memories came back when they launched it on PSN/XBM a couple years ago. *shivers*

televator

tempted to buy a big widescreen monitor to use purely for DS emulation...

obviously my TV works well, but uh, it's not actually on the wall that way round.

This is part of a little project of mine... I took apart an old 15.4" laptop screen from a busted laptop I had lying around. I'm gonna buy a screen controller on eBay that will drive the screen and and allow for VGA, DVI, and HDMI input.

It's a cheap way for me to have a vertical screen.

Rich!

This is part of a little project of mine... I took apart an old 15.4" laptop screen from a busted laptop I had lying around. I'm gonna buy a screen controller on eBay that will drive the screen and and allow for VGA, DVI, and HDMI input.

sounds good! I might have a look on local ads for a cheap 23" to use

entremet

I keep hearing about the proliferation of fakes recently.

GameStop, which now sells retro games, has been fooled with rarer titles.

Just reminds not to buy these white whale titles.

Sucks, but expected in a market with limited supply and growing demand.

NDPsycho

Just buy from places that will either take returns or will let you open them up before buying. If buying online ask for pictures of the pcb. It's a pain that you need to be more informed, but that happens with most collectible hobbies. Labels can be more difficult sometimes, but the actual carts aren't too bad.

Peltz

Buying Neo Geo carts is such a minefield - for both MVS and AES

hey guys, i just got back from picking up a Sony BVM-20G1U a day after getting that 20 dollar model 1 genesis. i don't have any cables yet so it'll be a few days to get it ready.

just wanted to share a sad retro related story...
on the way back from picking it up the BVM, i stopped by my parents place to finally pick up my neo geo pocket plus box, pocket games, ps1 shooters (i love shooters) ray storm and crysis, lunar 1 and 2 box and art book cloth map. launch ps2 etc.

all thrown out...=( i asked my mom and she said my oldest brother came and cleaned up my stuff and packed all my unless stuff in a bag. my mom chucked it... she knew i was going to be mad but she did it bc she felt videogames waste my time.... bummer...the only thing that was left was an original ps1 that i have to turn upside down to boot. so i took that home hahaha

since i have a ps1, 2 and 3 in the house, i was able to confirm further some stuff why ps1 games look worse playing off ps3 native vs. digitally via psn also noticed something interesting playing ps1 off the ps2 as well... but i'll throw that in the ps1 thread another time. (going to wait till i get the ps1/2 all on running on RGB)

my lunar is incomplete... i just looked online, ray storm is 80 dollars used.... crazy...don't think i can shell that much for a game.
i'm going to veg and watch some gundam to distract myself while posting on gundamGAF =) though i lost some stuff, i'm pretty happy to get a RGB monitor. definitely stoked about it.

special thanks to Mega for the hook up =)

entremet

hey guys, i just got back from picking up a Sony BVM-20G1U a day after getting that 20 dollar model 1 genesis. i don't have any cables yet so it'll be a few days to get it ready.

just wanted to share a sad retro related story...
on the way back from picking it up the BVM, i stopped by my parents place to finally pick up my neo geo pocket plus box, pocket games, ps1 shooters (i love shooters) ray storm and crysis, lunar 1 and 2 box and art book cloth map. launch ps2 etc.

all thrown out...=( i asked my mom and she said my oldest brother came and cleaned up my stuff and packed all my unless stuff in a bag. my mom chucked it... she knew i was going to be mad but she did it bc she felt videogames waste my time.... bummer...the only thing that was left was an original ps1 that i have to turn upside down to boot. so i took that home hahaha

since i have a ps1, 2 and 3 in the house, i was able to confirm further some stuff why ps1 games look worse playing off ps3 native vs. digitally via psn also noticed something interesting playing ps1 off the ps2 as well... but i'll throw that in the ps1 thread another time. (going to wait till i get the ps1/2 all on running on RGB)

my lunar is incomplete... i just looked online, ray storm is 80 dollars used.... crazy...don't think i can shell that much for a game.
i'm going to veg and watch some gundam to distract myself while posting on gundamGAF =) though i lost some stuff, i'm pretty happy to get a RGB monitor. definitely stoked about it.

special thanks to Mega for the hook up =)

Mega is pretty cool. He hooked me up regarding PVM/BVM info.

I'm gonna look for one in the Spring. It's just not a huge priority right now--no RGB consoles yet.

Once I start RGBing stuff, I'm gonna start looking.

For now, my Sony Wega is fantastic for 240p stuff.

Peltz

Guys, SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash is so damn fun. I highly recommend it.

I'm really digging the NGPC more than I ever even anticipated. It's got games that have so much heart despite its modest 2 button non-backlit setup.

Guys, SNK vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash is so damn fun. I highly recommend it.

I'm really digging the NGPC more than I ever even anticipated. It's got games that have so much heart despite its modest 2 button non-backlit setup.

I have wanted one since it came out but never got around to it. Prices sarted rising in 2014 so I kinda lost interest, but this is reigniting it. Neo Turf Masters and the SvC games are what I'm most interested in.

Peltz

I have wanted one since it came out but never got around to it. Prices sarted rising in 2014 so I kinda lost interest, but this is reigniting it. Neo Turf Masters and the SvC games are what I'm most interested in.
I scored a factory sealed NGPC for $115 on Amazon. Not too terrible but definitely not as good as it used to be.

Neo Turf Masters is really a cute 8-bit version of its arcade big brother. Even the songs are catchy 8-bit remixes of the arcade game's amazing soundtrack. It's not a bad little game. I got a factory sealed version for $20. So again, not too bad.

To me, the time is still ripe for collecting. The games are not crazy in price especially if you are cool with loose carts and there are a lot of genuinely unique experiences on it. 8bit 2 button fighting games are rare beasts in and of themselves and certainly are worth it for the novelty, chibi style art, and streamlined gameplay compared to the complex 2d fighting games of today.

Plus the boxes have such cool artwork :)

It's sort of the last and most modern 8-bit system, and to me, (along with the GBC) represents the end of that type of simple minimalist game design mandated at the hardware level from major developers.

Seeing such refined and charming experiences that were accomplished within such limiting constraints is really appealing to me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

obviously my TV works well, but uh, it's not actually on the wall that way round.

Man, I remember when the DS came out and I was thinking "how is one reasonably going to emulate that thing?

Kind cool to see a tate-d TV making it happen.

dubc35

Very cool, would love to see the process and results!

Mega is pretty cool. He hooked me up regarding PVM/BVM info.

I'm gonna look for one in the Spring. It's just not a huge priority right now--no RGB consoles yet.

Once I start RGBing stuff, I'm gonna start looking.

For now, my Sony Wega is fantastic for 240p stuff.

yeah, Mega's great. really went out of his way and helped me out.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Hopefully I'm not too late for the "First Game" bandwagon.

If I'm remembering correctly, I received my NES as a joint gift from my godparents (an aunt and an uncle, both from my father's family) in 1989. I would have been four years old at the time.

It was either in November or December of that year, as my birthday is in November, and Christmas is in December. I'm leaning towards it being a birthday present as I don't recall it being given to me with a whole bunch of other family members being around.

It was the NES Action Set:

latest

So technically my first game was the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt combo cart.

However, the first game I received as a gift was Chip & Dale: Rescue Rangers, which I distinctly remember my father giving me when he came home from work one day. I don't think this was for a specific reason or celebration.

78573-chip-n-dale-rescue-rangers-nes-front-cover.jpg

As far as the second game I received goes, I honestly couldn't tell you. I still have all my carts from when I was a kid with the exception of a few that I sold over the years that I didn't have any personal attachment to. (Jaws, for instance, which I bought from a neighbor and didn't care for for obvious reasons.)

I do distinctly remember picking out Kirby's Adventure though. I have vivid photographic memories of all the NES boxes lined up on a pegboard behind glass at our local KMart. I also have fond distinct memories of the first time I finished the game.

The last NES game I remember picking out when they were still sold new in stores was Mega Man 5, and it shows because it's the one I have in the best condition. (box and all)

I later received The Jungle Book and Space Shuttle Project as Christmas gifts, but these were both games I requested for Christmas and didn't personally pick out behind from a case.

I'd love to track down the exact model of TV I used to play my NES on when I was a kid someday. It was a 13" Samsung with big ol' VHF and UHF knobs on the front. I found it last year on eBay but after it sold I haven't seen a trace of it since, and unfortunately I can't think of the model name to save my life. Bah.

Edit: After wracking my brain for the last hour I feel like the model name as "Symphony", though I could be mistaken.

It looked damn close to this one here, though I remember the volume knob being on the bottom right...you would pull it out to turn it on and then twist it to change the volume.

s-l1600.jpg

It looked damn close to this one here, though I remember the volume knob being on the bottom right...you would pull it out to turn it on and then twist it to change the volume.

s-l1600.jpg

Those knobs always wore out and just like everyone else, we had to resort to this
102px-Pliers.png
if we wanted to change the channel.

I used to watch Charlie's Angels, religiously.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Those knobs always wore out and just like everyone else, we had to resort to this
102px-Pliers.png
if we wanted to change the channel.

I used to watch Charlie's Angels, religiously.

I don't recall mine wearing out, but maybe the TV wasn't in service long enough for that to happen. I think we had it from late '89 to mayyybee 1998? I can't remember exactly.

Mega

Banned
Both system and game were brand spanking new, fresh from the factory sealed boxes...

GAF... I finally own a NGPC!!!

12646706_10101288157429090_4862482935148532643_o.jpg

This post inspired me to get one on eBay. I was always reluctant because of the unlit screen but that looks too nice to ignore. I bought a Japanese NGPC Slim unit with "Color" in cursive and a black dots bezel pattern around the screen. I read these have better contrast than the regular Color units.

One thing about eBay... Are fake NGPC carts a thing to watch for? I'm mainly looking at staple games around $10-$20.

Teknoman

I asked that awhile back, and the answer I got was not really. Only fake portables you really have to worry about are DS games and GBA games it seems. Everything else would either be really obvious or just isnt a market for.

Honestly I stil wish my NGPC had a back light, but I dont want to ruin how sharp it looks in standard settings.

Podge293

I figure I'd post this here (just so everyone knows i've no affliation)

The Rage in Dublin Ireland have a complete big box edition of Earthbound for 600 euro going at the moment.

My first TV was a 13" color Goldstar CRT. My Dad got it with my NES I believe. That thing lasted 15 years. Still can't believe I ever played on something so small, although it certainly made everything look good.

Lettuce

1st PC game played: Granny's Garden

WTF, was that the game where you had to find a frog or something, and it was in the attic most of the time.

I can remember playing a BBC Micro game at lower school like that and could never remember the name of it....and Grannys Garden might be it!!?

Rich!

WTF, was that the game where you had to find a frog or something, and it was in the attic most of the time.

I can remember playing a BBC Micro game at lower school like that and could never remember the name of it....and Grannys Garden might be it!!?

Yep

Lettuce

Ive been toying with the idea of building an arcade cab and getting something 46" 4K lcd TV (probably Sony) and having it mounted vertically in the cab.

The reason for this is i can use the top part of the screen as the marquee area for what ever game im playing and the lower part for the actual game display, the wonderful thing about this is vertical games will be able to be display at there correct aspect ratio and horizontal games also and will share similar display sizes as the screen is vertical all the time so no need to rotate the screen ever, will be just like having a CRT 27" screen size horizontally and vertically without the hassle of ever rotation the display.

Obviously there'd be a black frame on the front of the cab for the area of the marquee and where the game will be displayed i probably put some slightly smoked glass over this frame so the actual screen was hard to see, and hopefully look completely black until its turned on. The reason for 4k is that the best way to display crt shaders for stuff like RetroArch

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
1st Console I owned: SNES
1st handheld I played on: Game Boy Color
1st handheld I owned: Game Boy Color
1st PC I played on: Mac Apple II at school
1st PC game played: Number Munchers or Oregon Trail
1st PC owned: A Gateway computer from around 1999.

Kinda missed the whole NES/Master System era so it's interesting to check stuff out there now with my Twin.
I also had no idea about the Saturn until a year or two ago as well.

Mega

Banned
I asked that awhile back, and the answer I got was not really. Only fake portables you really have to worry about are DS games and GBA games it seems. Everything else would either be really obvious or just isnt a market for.

Honestly I stil wish my NGPC had a back light, but I dont want to ruin how sharp it looks in standard settings.

Thanks, ordered a bunch. Most of it is pretty cheap so that's good. Just need to keep a look out for a copy of the SNK vs. Capcom fighting game that's a decent price.

I'm surprised there are DS fakes. I didn't think anyone would bother with all the flash carts that have been prolific for years.

Top Bottom