• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

More pickups???
2K1tUf1h.jpg

Went to a few more HardOffs over the past week. Much less stuff than last week but I'm kinda running out of stuff to buy.

BTails

Happy 30th Anniversary! Got my (physical) Zelda collection together today for a photo-op, with a bit of a gold filter from my phone ;)

3KMdYPm.jpg

Khaz

Man, people keep shooting down my attempts at theoretically building a modern PC for old, non-emulated DOS gaming. I want to believe there is a way dammit!

ErbilT

1st Console I owned: Odyssey 2 (don't remember it outside of the box with the broken console inside of our garage, but my mom insists that I played around with it.)
1st handheld I played on: Wildfire Pinball
1st handheld I owned: Game Boy
1st PC I played on: Apple II at school
1st PC game played: Oregon Trail
1st PC owned: I had a Tandy Color Computer 3, played the hell out of the Super Pitfall and Thexder ports

Khaz

I mean, sure. You can get an old pc for DOS gaming, just see how Krejlooc set up his rig. But don't discount DOSBOX. It's a more-than-sufficient option.

Dude, imagine if I were barging into the SNES thread asking people why they bother buying the original hardware and cartridges when SNES9x is a more than sufficient option? Not to pick on you specifically but it seems like DOSBox always gets a pass for some reason when any other emulator gets dissed by people into original retro stuff.

entremet

I mean, sure. You can get an old pc for DOS gaming, just see how Krejlooc set up his rig. But don't discount DOSBOX. It's a more-than-sufficient option.

Was he permabanned?

He was a very informative contributor here but sadly had a penchant for derailing threads because he couldn't let an argument slide lol.

If only he could control his need to argue lol.

TedHub

Banned
Dude, imagine if I were barging into the SNES thread asking people why they bother buying the original hardware and cartridges when SNES9x is a more than sufficient option? Not to pick on you specifically but it seems like DOSBox always gets a pass for some reason when any other emulator gets dissed by people into original retro stuff.

I suppose. Ease-of-setup (perceived or otherwise) probably has something to do with it.

Relax, it was just a suggestion & you can boot from your original CD-ROMs. Also Is it possible to dual boot and install win95 and just use dos that way?

Khaz

Relax, it was just a suggestion & you can boot from your original CD-ROMs. Also Is it possible to dual boot and install win95 and just use dos that way?

There's the problem of sound, as mentioned in the thread about MIDI. MS-DOS drivers seem to be lacking for modern integrated soundcards. I don't know if drivers exist for Windows 95, but even then I don't know how a modern sound card sounds compared to an original vintage one like Soundblaster or Gravis Ultrasound.

dubc35

DOS discussion lead me to search eBay for Gateway and Packard Bell computers. One mans trash is another mans treasure indeed.

Timu

Man, people keep shooting down my attempts at theoretically building a modern PC for old, non-emulated DOS gaming. I want to believe there is a way dammit!

It's not a bad idea at all. I found a channel a while back of a guy doing old system builds, not just DOS but even like Windows 98 & XP to play old games. I think he does mostly new parts where possible but at some point you have to dive into old stuff, which depending on age can get surprisingly pricey.

DOS discussion lead me to search eBay for Gateway and Packard Bell computers. One mans trash is another mans treasure indeed.

I had a Packard Bell 486 DX2 with the amazing power of MMX technology. I was tempted to pick one up online for the dos disks that I have, but I quickly remembered everything was integrated and adding cards is a pain in the ass.

Peltz

I still want a Virtual Boy.
I've owned many over the years and found that they're just too fragile for my tastes. They literally break from delicate use or non-use. The ribbons inside are held together with glue that becomes undone over time leading to garbled graphics.

Theyre like ticking time bombs.

Such a shame because there are a few games on it I really enjoy playing (Jack Bros. especially).

D.Lo

I've owned many over the years and found that they're just too fragile for my tastes. They literally break from delicate use or non-use. The ribbons inside are held together with glue that becomes undone over time leading to garbled graphics.

Theyre like ticking time bombs.

Such a shame because there are a games on it I really enjoy playing (Jack Bros. especially).
like original game boys, which get the vertical line issue. It's hard to do R&D on custom designed tech to last 20 years I guess.

I guess I've been lucky, mine trucks along fine. It can have issues on cold days, but fixes itself with its own heat within a couple of minutes.

And there's aparrently the 'bake' fix to restore the connections.

entremet

Anyone got any backlit modded gbas going? UK here.

I regret losing my old one :(

A New Nintendo 3DS or a Wii homebrewed with retroarch. Seriously.

I need to softmod my Wii but I'm afraid of losing my VC games, which are plenty.

The Wii VC still is one of the most excellent legit emulation options with its 240p support. It doesn't have everything, of course, but it's great way to save money, unless you must have the physical versions.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I need to softmod my Wii but I'm afraid of losing my VC games, which are plenty.

All of my Virtual Console and Wiiware content is now on my Wii U, but I don't want to softmod my Wii because it'll be my luck that I brick the damn thing and then I have nothing more than a paperweight.

Rich!

Yeah the nice thing about Wii is 240p output via Component (and RGB if you have a PAL one).

Even if you have a USA Wii, it's easy to change the region to PAL for true RGB Scart output! The restriction is software based, dependent on firmware region.

And to the guy above, you won't brick your Wii. It's like, literally impossible if you don't go in and fuck around with IOS's, which you absolutely do not need to do to get homebrew up and running.

BTails

Yeah the nice thing about Wii is 240p output via Component (and RGB if you have a PAL one).

Yup! I've been running PC Engine to my Frameister in 240p using component cables. It looks amazing, and allows for some great gaming at a FRACTION of the price of actual hardware.

Was he permabanned?

He was a very informative contributor here but sadly had a penchant for derailing threads because he couldn't let an argument slide lol.

If only he could control his need to argue lol.
It should be noted that that was actually his second account, after his first one (Cooljerk) was permabanned quite a while ago. AFAIK, the mods knew exactly who he was, but were letting him have a second chance, which he must've blown.

televator

Even if you have a USA Wii, it's easy to change the region to PAL for true RGB Scart output! The restriction is software based, dependent on firmware region.

I though I read somewhere that the Wii's color process was the same as GC. Meaning there is no "true" RGB output in either console. You're pretty much good with component video... Probably better off with component video from a Wii than Scart RGB. There's nothing to gain in picture quality by importing or changing region. RGB is discrete uncompressed color space, but the architecture inside a Wii converts to YUY2 which is 4:2:2. And even its native RGB internal graphics is RGB565, which is kinda relatively...not good. Given Nintendo's use of a lower quality component DAC in Wii Vs. GameCube, I'd wager that the RGB up sampling and separation in Wii might actually further mess up the picture.

Rich!

Posted this in the GB thread but things are a bit slow there...

Hey guys

Just bought this on ebay for a respectable £50. Look good? Backlit and biverted.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

The only worry I have is this line in the description:

Note: you may notice very faint vertical lines from time to time. This is normal and is present to
some extent on every Game Boy Pocket. It can be slightly more noticable on a backlit screen
though. I thought I would mention this incase you assume it to be fault.

Not sure how accurate that is...can't say I've ever noticed it on a GBP before - but you can see it in the Mew photo above.

Anyhow. Opinions?

televator

Posted this in the GB thread but things are a bit slow there...

Hey guys

Just bought this on ebay for a respectable £50. Look good? Backlit and biverted.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

The only worry I have is this line in the description:

Note: you may notice very faint vertical lines from time to time. This is normal and is present to
some extent on every Game Boy Pocket. It can be slightly more noticable on a backlit screen
though. I thought I would mention this incase you assume it to be fault.

Not sure how accurate that is...can't say I've ever noticed it on a GBP before - but you can see it in the Mew photo above.

Anyhow. Opinions?

It's probably a quirk of the screen technology, hence why you don't see it on GBP. I haven't played on a real gameboy screen enough to know if that's normal.

Mega

Banned
It should be noted that that was actually his second account, after his first one (Cooljerk) was permabanned quite a while ago. AFAIK, the mods knew exactly who he was, but were letting him have a second chance, which he must've blown.

AFAIK, he was TheSonicRetard. Cooljerk was his name elsewhere. Every thread I spotted his name he was always arguing with someone and his name was gray...

Yeah, I've had less-than-cordial run-ins with him off of GAF vis-a-vis the Steam Controller, so I'm not exactly mourning the loss of his GAF account.

televator

I'm looking at a copy of Streets of Rage 3 over here, but the label is all chewed up. Anybody know where I can find a replacement sticker label?

Danchi

Has anyone bought anything from yamatoku-classic since they upped the postage prices? Just wondering what I should expect from combined shipping on a few items.

entremet

What a shame. His posts were very often super fun reads.

yeah, as a sega & retro fan, Krejlooc was a loss to the community...RIP man

Dude just couldn't let arguments slide lol.

Must have been some weird nervous tick. But he was a smart cookie had some great post on game programming.

Yeah, I've had less-than-cordial run-ins with him off of GAF vis-a-vis the Steam Controller, so I'm not exactly mourning the loss of his GAF account.

Steam Controller? Is there some weird messaging app with the Steam controller?

Steam Controller? Is there some weird messaging app with the Steam controller?
No, "vis-à-vis", not "via". Fancy way of saying "with regards to".

Basically, I expressed doubts about the design, and he was a complete pretentious ass about it because he had a beta one and went on about how I wasn't qualified to criticize its design because I hadn't gotten my hands on one, how dare I have opinions.

entremet

No, "vis-à-vis", not "via". Fancy way of saying "with regards to".

Basically, I expressed doubts about the design, and he was a complete pretentious ass about it because he had a beta one and went on about how I wasn't qualified to criticize its design because I hadn't gotten my hands on one, how dare I have opinions.

Ah. What confused me was that you bumped into him off of GAF.

But that said I only really use GAF as my main gaming communication channel. I'm pretty ignorant about other forums.

But yeah, dude has a problems with tact and not letting arguments go lol.

Mega

Banned
His posts were super knowledgeable. I liked his input in an Amiga appreciation thread and a NES vs. SMS thread. But almost any thread where he was an active participant, there he was bitterly arguing with whomever. If someone said something that ran counter to his own information or disagreed by matter of opinion, his default behavior was "attack" with a mean-spirited response and often condescending tone. I think he had a virtual disconnect and forgot he was casually chatting with enthusiasts in the same hobby he enjoys, people who would probably be his friends IRL... not hated enemies. :|

Top Bottom