• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Teknoman

So doing reviews / video playthroughs as another hobby: What do you guys think about doing reviews for common games? Most of the time, by convenience, I've been just capturing whatever I feel like playing atm, or if it's a gaf plays type thing. Haven't really gotten around to some of the more obscure yet fun games yet, but I'd like to inform people on those.

Teknoman

lol wow.

Bv515bZ.png

Timu

So doing reviews / video playthroughs as another hobby: What do you guys think about doing reviews for common games? Most of the time, by convenience, I've been just capturing whatever I feel like playing atm, or if it's a gaf plays type thing. Haven't really gotten around to some of the more obscure yet fun games yet, but I'd like to inform people on those.
It should be done!

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone know a webshop where I can pick up Chinese releases of old PC games (legit releases, not pirate releases). I've been trying to find a rare Chinese special edition of Rockman X8 for the PC that was released over there a while back but have had no luck. Yes Asia no longer stock it and it no longer appears on auction site Taobao (I check back periodically). Its pretty much the only thing I'm short now for my Mega Man collection.

Peltz

I'm dual posting this from the arcade stick thread. Can anyone here recommend a arcade stick maker who will take custom jobs? I'd like to have an all Sanwa stick that is compatible with PS2, GCN and Xbox consoles.

I'd rather put the money in a craftsman's hands than give it to various eBay resellers to get the same functionality.... Plus I think it will be cheaper in the long run.

KC-Slater

I'm dual posting this from the arcade stick thread. Can anyone here recommend a arcade stick maker who will take custom jobs? I'd like to have an all Sanwa stick that is compatible with PS2, GCN and Xbox consoles.

I'd rather put the money in a craftsman's hands than give it to various eBay resellers to get the same functionality.... Plus I think it will be cheaper in the long run.

Are you looking to mod an existing stick with Sanwa components, or literally have it built from scratch? I think Mercurio does this sort of thing. I had contacted him about a year ago inquiring about modding my HSS-0130. I would have gone with him, but shipping it back and forth over the border made it financially unfeasible. His work looked good, though.

Peltz

Are you looking to mod an existing stick with Sanwa components, or literally have it built from scratch? I think Mercurio does this sort of thing. I had contacted him about a year ago inquiring about modding my HSS-0130. I would have gone with him, but shipping it back and forth over the border made it financially unfeasible. His work looked good, though.

I'd prefer something from scratch at this point but I'll drop Mercutio a line just in case. He's a cool dude anyway so it's a good excuse to catch up with him.

KC-Slater

I'd prefer something from scratch at this point but I'll drop Mercutio a line just in case. He's a cool dude anyway so it's a good excuse to catch up with him.

I always thought the Analog Interactive sticks look sleek as hell, especially this all-in-one MVS. I would love a two-player, console agnostic setup in that style.

AnalogueNEO-storethumb.jpg

Khaz

Yeah some of their ideas are dumb and the innards of their original CMVS was a mess, but I loved the idea of a console and an arcade stick made of wood, It just looks sleek and warm, unlike the plastic/metal ones.

KC-Slater

Yeah some of their ideas are dumb and the innards of their original CMVS was a mess, but I loved the idea of a console and an arcade stick made of wood, It just looks sleek and warm, unlike the plastic/metal ones.

This, exactly. It looks more like furniture than a toy.

It's certainly exhibits form over function, (at least from how delicate people claim the MVS to be, I haven't tried this CMVS, so I can't weigh in) but as someone who doesn't want to have to either chuck my gaming stuff in the closet when company comes over, or have to rationalize the tacky art on my gaming stuff, this is an excellent alternative.

Peltz

I always thought the Analog Interactive sticks look sleek as hell, especially this all-in-one MVS. I would love a two-player, console agnostic setup in that style.

AnalogueNEO-storethumb.jpg

Well, my Neo Geo CMVS needs are (somewhat) being met by two of these
They're seimitsu buttons. The mod is great, but they're not my favorite controllers to be honest.

They don't compare to the heavy duty sanwa sticks that are so common today.

And while I don't mind the feel of the stock AES joystick for shmups (it honestly feels pretty great) I prefer the looser spring of the Sanwa JLF for fighters. The JLF is just so luxurious to use.

Mega

Banned
David, this may seem crazy but the BVM I still have is even sharper and has more vibrant colors. :p

I recommend playing with very dim lights. Bright overhead lights hitting the screen wash out the picture. I play on my BVM with the room lights off and a hallway light on just outside the room. Reduces glare and ups the contrast.

daaaaamn that looks sharp - congrats man!
also don't look now but an army of boxed mechs has invaded ur house
i'm a huge Macross fan, going to try and get some retro macross games =)
How bout an NSFW tag?
LOL
Dave that's so epic
thanks!

David, this may seem crazy but the BVM I still have is even sharper and has more vibrant colors. :p

I recommend playing with very dim lights. Bright overhead lights hitting the screen wash out the picture. I play on my BVM with the room lights off and a hallway light on just outside the room. Reduces glare and ups the contrast.

that's insane... it's so sharp already and the colors look amazing... ok, i'll try and play w/ my lights dimmed =)

Mega

Banned
The flat screen JVCs have practically no glare and fare a lot better in brightly lit environments. The tube looks dark gray matte when it's off compared to the reflective light-grayish curved tubes of the Sony monitors.

Rich!

Just thought I'd post this here too, seeing as it fits the thread theme and all

I got my backlit and biverted Game Boy Pocket today!

dsc_0840p9x0c.jpg

09lZXm6.jpg

dAn5eCQ.jpg

VMLYNcq.jpg

HZa0wFN.jpg

it's goooood

BTails

it's goooood

Damn, that looks great. Here I am waiting for my New3ds to play some Gameboy games... I need to reinvest in some backlit original hardware!

Mega

Banned
That does look really good. I have a regular bivert, backlit GB but it's an intense green... more intense than the any picture can convey. It messes with my eyes' color perception when I look away. Think I wanna pick up one with a white or blue filter like that GBP mod.

Peagles

Kinda makes me wish the Kickstarter for the aqua blue backlights was successfully funded. I put it for a lot but it didn't even get close. I messaged the creator several times to ask if there was any chance of them releasing some other way but never heard back.

Timu

That does look really good. I have a regular bivert, backlit GB but it's an intense green... more intense than the any picture can convey. It messes with my eyes' color perception when I look away. Think I wanna pick up one with a white or blue filter like that GBP mod.
Should be called Green Boy!

And yes, that joke was meant to be terrible.=p

televator

My GBA replacement batteries came in today! Too bad I couldn't find any CR1620s for a nice price. I just went ahead and replaced them with normal 1616s. Now all the Pokemon carts have fresh batteries. There was only one that gave me trouble. Sapphire had an extremely corroded battery. The acid weakened the bond between the positive contact and the board. Contact came right off without me pulling (I use a solder sucker to avoid pulling on things). I was kind of at a loss, but I made a shot in the dark by just flooding the contacts and board with solder... ... ... It worked. lol It's not pretty, but it works.

Mega

Banned
Got my NGPC Slim today. Such a cool little handheld. I didn't remember it being this small! The reflective screen is nice quality but I wish it were backlit. Some of the pics I took make it look like it is...

Lettuce

dsc_0840p9x0c.jpg

it's goooood

Was that from eBay Rich? Also does the blue strain your eyes at all. Was looking at getting one of theses a while back but could never decide on a backlight (or are they frontlight) colour to go for

entremet

And in the process of rebuying childhood favs. Luckily most haven't gone up in value drastically.

However, I did own MMX2 :(

Khaz

I'm always amazed at how people not only make new games for very old machines, but also make stupidly good packaging for it.

Eric Safar, from safargames.fr made a new text-based adventure game for the 1983 Oric computer, and then ported it to other various, but just as old, computers like the Commodore 64 and the Amstrad CPC. Vic-20, PC XT/AT and Apple][ were also in development last I checked. This is what the box look like:

The digipack-style sleeve is 22x22cm (8.7 inches). It comes with a floppy, an 8 pages manual, a map of the game, seven cue cards, a bit of snake skin (!) and a final sealed cue.

Athanor: The awakening

athanor0.png
athanor1.png
athanor2.png

The game and packaging is bilingual English/French, but I could only find French screenshots.

It's a bit rough for what could be done on a C64 or CPC, but as an Oric port it's actually pretty remarkable! The game itself is a French-style graphical adventure game with text input: back in the days, English text adventure games used to describe everything as text and use the picture as an illustration, whereas French tended to have a very scarce description with the picture as a support for cues. This is the latter.

Athanor 2: Legend of the Birdmen

The author is also hard at work for the second game and is planning a trilogy, spanning among the different eras of adventure games. The second game will have a CPC as its intended version, with ports to the Atari ST and Amiga. The third game will be made for the Amiga with ports to other 16bit computers and I suppose may be a SCUMM-style game.

demoscreen_01.png
demoscreen_02.png
demoscreen_03.png

... Coming soon!

Rich!

Was that from eBay Rich? Also does the blue strain your eyes at all. Was looking at getting one of theses a while back but could never decide on a backlight (or are they frontlight) colour to go for

Ebay, yeah. Was a lucky find.

And nope, the colour is ideal. It's very easy on the eyes. Here's an image from a slightly better camera, although the flash being on reduced the brightness of the screen and the LED power light:

dsc_0124mwsze.jpg

It's significantly better than the Game Boy Light imo, apart from the line display issue that's native to the Game Boy Pocket's screen.

Top Bottom