• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Made a 90's PC Gaming Appreciation thread for you console lovers

So I started on a new Game Opinion Summaries list, for PC platformers this time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213383. Read it. But beyond that, this makes me think yet again, why is there still no general retro/older PC gaming thread? I know there are plenty of threads which do discuss older PC games, but not a thread like the ones for consoles. Too bad.

Edit: Added this link to the OP of that thread.

Made a 90's PC Gaming Appreciation thread for you console lovers

Edit: Added this link to the OP of that thread.

Great thread! I'l be posting for sure.

One thing to add here, if you want to link it -- I did one other PC summaries list, of racing games, a few years ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491352 Both cover modern games as well as '90s ones of course, but PC gaming doesn't have hard break-points so that's fine. On that note, I did kind of like the 'pre-Steam' concept because I think of classic PC gaming as having died off over the course of the '00s, but I'm sure that thread can cover that even if the title doesn't. But yeah, regardless, '90s PC gaming was the best gaming has been, so it's great to have a thread for it. :)

Great thread! I'l be posting for sure.

One thing to add here, if you want to link it -- I did one other PC summaries list, of racing games, a few years ago: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491352 Both cover modern games as well as '90s ones of course, but PC gaming doesn't have hard break-points so that's fine. On that note, I did kind of like the 'pre-Steam' concept because I think of classic PC gaming as having died off over the course of the '00s, but I'm sure that thread can cover that even if the title doesn't. But yeah, regardless, '90s PC gaming was the best gaming has been, so it's great to have a thread for it. :)

I'll add it. Also, I've been batting it back and forth for awhile now and figured if I made a thread covering one genre, or a specific company it wouldn't have any legs. So I figured a celebration of everything PC gaming related in one decade, is the best way to go about it. Hopefully it'll last because I love talking about PC games and I'll keep updating the OP as it goes.

hey guys, i got another shooter (i posted gradius V before) with some random games:

yYyOn5p.jpg

jyvGMJv.jpg

I'll add it. Also, I've been batting it back and forth for awhile now and figured if I made a thread covering one genre, or a specific company it wouldn't have any legs. So I figured a celebration of everything PC gaming related in one decade, is the best way to go about it. Hopefully it'll last because I love talking about PC games and I'll keep updating the OP as it goes.
Yeah, one thread for everything is the right idea, for a retro platform thread. Agreed.

But as for my point there, what I meant was that having the thread title be about all PC gaming from before he fall of PC retail in the '00s, as opposed to specifically saying "the '90s". It's a somewhat minor issue, but '80s and early '00s PC games certainly are retro too, and an '80s PC thread probably would not do well considering how it was the '90s when the platform hit its stride, and a lot of us here didn't start playing PC games until the '90s either... and while the '00s had lots of great PC games, it was a period of decline in favor of consoles that only the rise of Steam and other DD platforms started to turn around, and Steam took some time to get popular.

Yeah, one thread for everything is the right idea, for a retro platform thread. Agreed.

But as for my point there, what I meant was that having the thread title be about all PC gaming from before he fall of PC retail in the '00s, as opposed to specifically saying "the '90s". It's a somewhat minor issue, but '80s and early '00s PC games certainly are retro too, and an '80s PC thread probably would not do well considering how it was the '90s when the platform hit its stride, and a lot of us here didn't start playing PC games until the '90s either... and while the '00s had lots of great PC games, it was a period of decline in favor of consoles that only the rise of Steam and other DD platforms started to turn around, and Steam took some time to get popular.
It's different too since most games from after 2000 work on Windows XP and mostly modern DirectX/OpenGL and so are relatively easy to run modern Windows and graphics cards.

Stuff from the 9X and 3dfx era is all kinds of messed up today... even if you can get them running it's not the same, there are a lot of quirks.

It's different too since most games from after 2000 work on Windows XP and mostly modern DirectX/OpenGL and so are relatively easy to run modern Windows and graphics cards.

Stuff from the 9X and 3dfx era is all kinds of messed up today... even if you can get them running it's not the same, there are a lot of quirks.

That depends on the game, really. I mean, you are right that many 9x games run terribly on modern OSes, but I can't get some '00s games to work right either -- Medieval: Total War (not counting the digital-download fixed version that is now available) for example, or for another one I was recently trying to play Jade Empire again... and even though I used the same computer and OS as when I last played it years ago, nope, game won't start. It hangs on the loading screen before you get to the main menu. I tried some fixes but nothing worked.

So yeah, you are right that many games run badly on newer systems,but sadly it's not only '90s games that have these problems. And earlier '90s games are mostly fine, since DOSbox helps most DOS games run well... it's the Win9x stuff where you really run into problems.

IrishNinja

okay, so i know i've asked, but now that i have a proper CRT setup: easiest way to get a 2600 setup? right now i've got that adapter that has the two metal U's you'd have to use a screwdriver on old sets to lock into place, but this clearly lacks that. there's another end that looks like coaxial might work, assuming that's the case it's prolly my best bet yeah?

i should really take a pic, but i feel like ive seen this with most atari setups in the day

Easiest would be coaxial from my recollection, yeah.

Best would be to look into viletim's RGB mod, but that's probably overkill for the Atari 2600.

hey guys, i got another shooter (i posted gradius V before) with some random games:

Alpha anthology is ace, I love that they included both the standard alpha 3 and the upper version that gives you all the console characters. It loses a point for not including the wealth of modes that the console versions have though, especially world tour mode.

X7 is a nightmare though, watch out for that one!

okay, so i know i've asked, but now that i have a proper CRT setup: easiest way to get a 2600 setup? right now i've got that adapter that has the two metal U's you'd have to use a screwdriver on old sets to lock into place, but this clearly lacks that. there's another end that looks like coaxial might work, assuming that's the case it's prolly my best bet yeah?

i should really take a pic, but i feel like ive seen this with most atari setups in the day

The 2600 by default just has a cable coming out of it that looks like an RCA end right? That's the RF signal from it. Does that adapter take in that RCA end and then give you coaxial, and the two prongs out? I ask because some of those adapters were for changing coaxial to the 2 prongs not really an RF adapter. A picture would definitely help. That said though yes if it takes the RCA like jack from the 2600 and has a coaxial output that would work.

Though like it was suggested there is an RGB mod for the 2600. If I remember right it doesn't run too much, and I don't think it's too hard to install. I actually just dug out my 2600 to see if I could find my power cable and controllers, because I'm thinking baout doing the RGB mod to mine.

Kawika

Just bought one of these on eBay

asciipadsnin.jpg

Anyone got any experience with them?

To echo everyone's opinion of the Ascii Pad. Its quite good. I remember reading about how the superfamicom had different colors buttons than the SNES did. All my friends asked why this didn't have the 2 tones of purple. I actually preferred it. Every time I see one in the retro shop I snag one. I got 3 now (you know, just in case).

To echo everyone's opinion of the Ascii Pad. Its quite good. I remember reading about how the superfamicom had different colors buttons than the SNES did. All my friends asked why this didn't have the 2 tones of purple. I actually preferred it. Every time I see one in the retro shop I snag one. I got 3 now (you know, just in case).

I have 2 in total, and on 1 of them I actually swapped in the purple and lavender NA SNES buttons, lol. Those parts are interchangeable for reasons outlined above.

Alpha anthology is ace, I love that they included both the standard alpha 3 and the upper version that gives you all the console characters. It loses a point for not including the wealth of modes that the console versions have though, especially world tour mode.

oh thanks for the heads up on X7, i got it to be a completionist. i got x8 recently for 35 bucks and this was only 20 bucks so i threw it in.
i was playing the gem fighter game that's included. it's pretty cool to see, SD versions of each characters fighting it out like a fighting game.

Harlock

I really have a bad day with my old hardware. Master System 1 not reading catridges. Master System 2 almost not reading. My Mega Drive model 1 also the same problem. :/

oh thanks for the heads up on X7, i got it to be a completionist. i got x8 recently for 35 bucks and this was only 20 bucks so i threw it in.
i was playing the gem fighter game that's included. it's pretty cool to see, SD versions of each characters fighting it out like a fighting game.

Gem Fighters is an ace little game, I forgot that was included as an extra.

As for X7 - its worth playing once, but just keep in mind that its a 3D Mega Man game which unsurprisingly means that the camera is a mess and bosses aren't all that great compared to past games. X8 on the other hand is way better, and if you have a Command Mission save file on the same memory card when you reach a certain boss you unlock a secret bonus fight (its really easy, but its a cool little Easter egg none the less.

I really have a bad day with my old hardware. Master System 1 not reading catridges. Master System 2 almost not reading. My Mega Drive model 1 also the same problem. :/

Might be worth trying to clean the tips of the cartridge slots with rubbing alcohol if you have any handy. I use the stuff on a few carts that have issues and it makes the world of difference.

Rich!

So that ascii pad for the SNES turned up today. It arrived in a filthy state, as I thought it would - I purposely chose one that was like that to get it at a lower price than one in immaculate condition as I would likely be able to clean it up.

I was right! How it looks now:

And this controller is amazing. It's even better than the stock Nintendo controller in almost every way. It's also much better to hold.

Like has been suggested about cleaning them with rubbing alcohol (want to use the 90+ percent stuff) using a good eraser that doesn't leave a ton of pieces behind is really handy too. Whenever I have carts that won't read or seem to not be working, I hit them with the eraser and then rubbing alcohol and 99% of the time they work fine after.

dhonk

So that ascii pad for the SNES turned up today. It arrived in a filthy state, as I thought it would - I purposely chose one that was like that to get it at a lower price than one in immaculate condition as I would likely be able to clean it up.

I was right! How it looks now:

And this controller is amazing. It's even better than the stock Nintendo controller in almost every way. It's also much better to hold.

Totally agreed! I got one for 3 bucks at Goodwill in mint condition. One of my best finds.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Is it 240p?

IrishNinja

just wanted to echo others here, also ive done that trick where you clean the system's contacts with a credit card in a rag/etc, maybe a little alcohol but be sure to dry it after as well!
i'm in the market for a cheap SMS & feel confident i could get it working, if you've not other options, haha

Ok, thanks! Guess this is the version to get for me, considering the price of the Saturn Zero3.

If you want the console single player modes that everyone likes (i.e. World Tour) you could always go for the DC version in lieu of the pricey Saturn release. DC ver is 240p.

Then again Alpha Anthology has that funky system direction mode that lets you customize the game to have like parries and shit which id fun to mess around with.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
If you want the console single player modes that everyone likes (i.e. World Tour) you could always go for the DC version in lieu of the pricey Saturn release. DC ver is 240p.

Then again Alpha Anthology has that funky system direction mode that lets you customize the game to have like parries and shit which id fun to mess around with.

I always heard the DC-version wasnt that great, but its been a long time. Sounds tempting to get the World Tour at least, why is that not in anthology lol. Does it run decent?

televator

So today my friend gifted me something he found at Goodwill... It's a copy of Alan Wake Special Edition... In French. The disc cases say NTSC... Canadian then?

I know, I know "Televator, it's too early to bring up 360 games in the retro thread. GTFO." Still, it's a bit of a cool curiosity for someone living in America's hottest desert.

BTails

So today my friend gifted me something he found at Goodwill... It's a copy of Alan Wake Special Edition... In French. The disc cases say NTSC... Canadian then?

I know, I know "Televator, it's too early to bring up 360 games in the retro thread. GTFO." Still, it's a bit of a cool curiosity for someone living in America's hottest desert.

Hmmm, I can check my Canadian Special Edition when I get home, but I'm almost positive it's English packaging... Or bilingual at the worst.one that is predominantly French is most likely from Quebec.

BKK

That's about average for an AES with controller. Does it have the Unibios already installed by chance?

The Neo scene is so fucking ridiculous. You WILL absolutely end up paying more for an MVS to AES converter than you will for your AES and controller. Plus a shit ton of games even on MVS now cost more than the fucking hardware.

Thanks for the reply. It's Korean one, I assume it has a Jp bios. Normally I'd expect Korean anything to be worth more, but this one has a cracked shell so that should bring the price down. As it's purely cosmetic I'd consider it if it was cheap, but if that's the going rate then I think I'll skip it.

Got a some new bits for my collection that I'm over joyed with (well, my wallet wasn't!):

Popeye Game & Watch Table Top

Snoopy Game & Watch Table Top

Donkey Kong Jr Game & Watch Table Top

Mario's Cement Factory Game & Watch Table Top

It was a pain to find a perfect place to store the four games, as they were just slightly too big for several spots, so I had to play Tetris with my collection to make room. I've now got 41/60 G&W handhelds in my collection (all boxed). Unfortunately most of the remaining 19 are now incredibly expensive so I'll be getting them one every few months from now on.

NDPsycho

It was a pain to find a perfect place to store the four games, as they were just slightly too big for several spots, so I had to play Tetris with my collection to make room. I've now got 41/60 G&W handhelds in my collection (all boxed). Unfortunately most of the remaining 19 are now incredibly expensive so I'll be getting them one every few months from now on.

Very nice set! I liked looking at all your mega man pictures in your album too. Very impressive collection.

Very nice set! I liked looking at all your mega man pictures in your album too. Very impressive collection.

Thanks :) The Game & Watch stuff is a great on going collection I'm working on. I was overjoyed to get the four games in decent condition boxes, because its really hard to find the boxes in good conditions these days. Plus finding all 4 again is really tough. So i really lucked out that a great collector was willing to sell me all four!

I think the Mega Man picture set is out of date, I've got even more stuff since then. That series is by far my favourite game series ever! I love replaying them again and again. I just wish I could get the last Rockman PC game for my collection and I'm probably up to date with my collection, unless Capcom resurrect the series.

absolutely gorgeous stuff, Shadowman...i dont know that ive seen those boxed since being a kid, if even then!

Thanks :) I love that there are still some old pricing labels on the boxes. Crazy how cheap these were sold when they were reduced back in the day, certainly far less than I paid for them!

I just need to track down the manuals for two of them. Usually I only buy complete G&W handhelds, but I was willing to make an exception for these, as the manuals turn up on eBay from time to time and shouldn't break the bank cost wise.

hey guys,
i got a few more games.

Ah, you got lucky with that MM8 edition. Its (in my experience) the harder to find, more sort after version as the booklet is fairly hard to get hold of these days. There are three versions of MM8 on the Playstation - A version that just contains the game, a "special anniversary" edition that comes with the booklet and the Greatest Hits version. You managed to get the best version (well, best PSX version, the Saturn version with its extra graphical effects and bosses is the real best version!)

Mega

Banned
My friend had that version in middle school. I was a huge MM fan and he let me borrow that little booklet indefinitely (and later the game when I got a PS1). It was always in my bookbag... slowly falling apart into tatters from the wear of being in there everyday. :|

Rich!

I posted this in the SNES thread, but thought I'd share here too (and I want to know if I did good or fucked up too!)

soooo

I bought this on ebay. £80 total, free postage from japan (and the guy marked it as a gift below £20 for me so no customs I hope)

1xoy4a.jpg

29ebpp.jpg

31kykp.jpg

4cfle4.jpg

50mylr.jpg

I'll be selling the two controllers as I have a classic pal pad and an asciipad I would rather use, and that'll give me back £15 or so at least. I'll also be rgb modding the console of course. The console looks a bit grubby, but I don't see any yellowing that would be an issue or any damage - the shell just needs some time in a sink with some scrubbing.

good deal? yeah? no?

D.Lo

I posted this in the SNES thread, but thought I'd share here too (and I want to know if I did good or fucked up too!)

soooo

I bought this on ebay. £80 total, free postage from japan (and the guy marked it as a gift below £20 for me so no customs I hope)

good deal? yeah? no?
Looks about the going rate really.

Good little machine! Careful not to damage the label when scrubbing.

I love the Super Famicom button colors.

I got my PCEngine Duo back from being recapped, laser fixed, and rgb modded and it looks amazing. I played some Rondo of Blood last night and it looked amazing.

Top Bottom