• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RETROARCH - The all-in-one emulator dreams are made of, son

Thank you, I've been having some trouble with .rar or .7z files for Playstation and the MAME stuff has worked only sometimes, I'm more confused with which version of the sets to use. I think I have .157 right now.

Miker

There's parameters for halation and diffusion, no bloom at the moment.

The files can be downloaded here.

Unzip to the shaders/crt folder and load the preset.

Preview:

Changes:

- Added halation/diffusion and optional curvature
- Mask Strength parameter is replaced by Mask Darkness Low/High & Mask Brightness Low/High. Low effects dark colors, High effects bright colors.
- Filtering is higher quality, but a bit more demanding
- Parameter tweaks: It's sharper, a bit brighter, and has a stronger mask effect.

Here's a mouse-over comparison with the regular version:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/128583

I'm running the latest nightly from a day or two ago (a night or two?) and I tried this out, but it turned out really...blue? I copy/pasted it to the shaders\crt folder, and loaded up the .cgp as a preset. The white balance is totally off, and they're more blue than anything else. Did I do something horribly wrong?

Also, if I wanted my SNES games to look like the original image in the link (not on mouse over), what should I do? Just use one filter and load up crt-easymode.cg? If so, what should the filter and scale be set to?

EasyMode

I'm running the latest nightly from a day or two ago (a night or two?) and I tried this out, but it turned out really...blue? I copy/pasted it to the shaders\crt folder, and loaded up the .cgp as a preset. The white balance is totally off, and they're more blue than anything else. Did I do something horribly wrong?

Also, if I wanted my SNES games to look like the original image in the link (not on mouse over), what should I do? Just use one filter and load up crt-easymode.cg? If so, what should the filter and scale be set to?

If you loaded the preset and it's showing up blue, then my only guess is some sort of scaling issue. If you're using a monitor, is your desktop set to native resolution? Or if on a TV, have you made sure overscan is off?

You're correct if you want the original look. Filter: Nearest, Scale: Don't Care. I also recommend Integer Scale: Off (under Settings > Video Settings).

and....the single most impressive filter I have ever seen or used:

quzrjzsbqy.png

Ok, I have retroarch set up. Now how do I use this filter and overlay?

Very nice! Almost looks like an unsharp mask is being applied somewhere. Has a nice look to it.

What Hylian and Zenju have done for emulation graphics is amazing.

Honestly, man, I love this stuff. I use SNES9X and usually use 3xBRZ and Bilinear to get a decent smooth and rounded look without it being too sharp. I love it. I could not really go back to pixels and rough graphics but I understand some people dislike filters.

I use a variant of Hylian's 3.8B or whatever on ePSXe and 2D games are just Amazing!

Can someone tell me exactly how to run these in SNES9x x64? I downloaded the CG dll files and the 3.1 kit from Nvidia. No idea though lol. Keeps pulling errors.

Radius4

I guess you mean bsnes and it's only better if you play air strike patrol.
Pretty much every game works the same in snes9x (and sounds the same too)

Lettuce

So let me get this right, a libretro core for Game & Watch has been release yet there is still no C64, Amstrad CPC or a Amiga core that you don't need a PHD in setting up correctly!!????....serious wtf man!!!! (there is caprice32, but im not seeing that in the nightly builds?)

Lettuce

Whats the better snes emulator snes9x-next or basic snes9x please?.

Just to Confirm what are the best emulators for each system??....

NES = nestopia
SNES =?
Megadrive = GenPlus_GX
SMS = GenPlus_GX
Mega CD = GenPlus_GX
GameGear = PicoDrive
Sega 32X = PicoDrive
Sega Saturn = Yabause
Gameboy = Gambatte
GBA = ?
Atari Lynx = Mednafen_Lynx
PC-Engine = PCE_Fast
Arcade = ?
PSP = ?

I know there are other emulators best the rest just have the one core avaliable

Radius4

So let me get this right, a libretro core for Game & Watch has been release yet there is still no C64, Amstrad CPC or a Amiga core that you don't need a PHD in setting up correctly!!????....serious wtf man!!!! (there is caprice32, but im not seeing that in the nightly builds?)

G/W was contributed not developed in-house.

Whats the better snes emulator snes9x-next or basic snes9x please?.

Just to Confirm what are the best emulators for each system??....

NES = nestopia
SNES =?
Megadrive = GenPlus_GX
SMS = GenPlus_GX
Mega CD = GenPlus_GX
GameGear = PicoDrive
Sega 32X = PicoDrive
Sega Saturn = Yabause
Gameboy = Gambatte
GBA = ?
Atari Lynx = Mednafen_Lynx
PC-Engine = PCE_Fast
Arcade = ?
PSP = ?

I know there are other emulators best the rest just have the one core avaliable

If you have the power for it bsnes-accuracy, but for 90% of the games Snes9x is just fine.
For GBA, still VBAM. For PSP there s only one and for Arcade MAME is still the best

Awakened

GenPlusGX does Game Gear, which is probably better than PicoDrive. mGBA is worth checking out, it has less issues with Mother 3. Konami Krazy Racers has some glitches in the intro though. Still waiting on solar sensor adjustment and rumble support in the libretro port, but endrift marked those as milestones for 0.3.

vanty

G/W was contributed not developed in-house.

If you have the power for it bsnes-accuracy, but for 90% of the games Snes9x is just fine.
For GBA, still VBAM. For PSP there s only one and for Arcade MAME is still the best

I used to use bsnes-accuracy then I read something about balanced being better most of the time so I switched to it. No idea what the difference is and I haven't noticed anything playing myself though.

Knurek

I used to use bsnes-accuracy then I read something about balanced being better most of the time so I switched to it. No idea what the difference is and I haven't noticed anything playing myself though.

Balanced doesn't have visible shadows in one single shooter game.

Lettuce

It seems RetroPie for RPi2 devices and the Libretro emulators have had a slight boost in performance and now crt-hyllian and crt-caligari shaders seem to run full speed without hitching BUT you have to set the RetroArch render resolution to 720p, setting it to 1080p has an impact and the fps drop. As setting it to 720p both crt-hyllian and crt-caligari have ever so slight scanline uneven artifacts, enabling integer scaling removes these artifacts but obviously your getting a smaller display area, i know crt-hyllian and crt-caligari were 2 shaders that didn't need integer scaling enabled to get even scanlines at 1080p+ resolutions.

Is there a way to have crt-hyllian and crt-caligari shaders for 720p with even scanlines and integer scaling disabled, or a way to compile these shaders for 720p?

Hyllian

It seems RetroPie for RPi2 devices and the Libretro emulators have had a slight boost in performance and now crt-hyllian and crt-caligari shaders seem to run full speed without hitching BUT you have to set the RetroArch render resolution to 720p, setting it to 1080p has an impact and the fps drop. As setting it to 720p both crt-hyllian and crt-caligari have ever so slight scanline uneven artifacts, enabling integer scaling removes these artifacts but obviously your getting a smaller display area, i know crt-hyllian and crt-caligari were 2 shaders that didn't need integer scaling enabled to get even scanlines at 1080p+ resolutions.

Is there a way to have crt-hyllian and crt-caligari shaders for 720p with even scanlines and integer scaling disabled, or a way to compile these shaders for 720p?

As the output resolution isn't exactly integer, some scaling artifacts are inevitable. The only workaround I can think of is blurring a bit the output so that these artifacts faints.

The best blur I could find in common-shaders is the blurs3x3.cg inside blurs folder. So, you can use this cgp and see if it helps:

http://pastebin.com/dHXnYNGz

put it inside 'cgp' folder.

Lettuce

As the output resolution isn't exactly integer, some scaling artifacts are inevitable. The only workaround I can think of is blurring a bit the output so that these artifacts faints.

The best blur I could find in common-shaders is the blurs3x3.cg inside blurs folder. So, you can use this cgp and see if it helps:

http://pastebin.com/dHXnYNGz

put it inside 'cgp' folder.

Ah yeah at 1080p there is no artifacts at all, just when its set to 720p and on light colours (like white) you can see the uneven scanlies

The Raspberry Pi uses glsl shaders and so cgp doesnt work

I guess i can just run 2 passes

crt-hyllian and then this blur shader??

what settings do i need to set for the blur pass ?

Hyllian

Ah the Raspberry Pi uses glsl shaders an so cgp doesnt work

I guess i can just run 2 passes

crt-hyllian and then this blur shader??

what settings do i need to set for the blur pass ?

Yes, set those manually.

Shader0:
crt-hyllian.cg
point
3x

Shader1:
blurs3x3.cg
linear
don't care

The blur3fast-vertical.cg is even better as it only blurs vertically. The result is a bit sharper than blurs3x3.cg.

Lettuce

Yes, set those manually.

Shader0:
crt-hyllian.cg
point
3x

Shader1:
blurs3x3.cg
linear
don't care

The blur3fast-vertical.cg is even better as it only blur vertically. The result is a bit sharper than blurs3x3.cg.

Sadly that didnt totally eradicate the problem

Hyllian

Sadly that didnt totally eradicate the problem

You can't. How can you fit two pixels in three slots without breaking any of them?

The blur only masks the artifact.

Maybe you need to blurs even more, but common-shaders doesn't have other better blur than that.

edit: set the resolution to 728 pixels vertically. It seems the artifacts vanishes even more. You crop 4 pixels up and down.

Lettuce

I'll give that a go, Rollergames on the NES is a good example to really show these artifacts, on the first stage near the start there are a lot of greys and whites that show up the artefacts really well especially when moving vertically up the screen.

So even if your shader was design for a 720p resolution it would still give these artefacts if integer scaling was disabled?

Hyllian

I'll give that a go, Rollergames on the NES is a good example to really show these artifacts, on the first stage near the start there are a lot of greys and whites that show up the artefacts really well especially when moving vertically up the screen.

So even if your shader was design for a 720p resolution it would still give these artefacts if integer scaling was disabled?

I don't know what you mean by design for 720p.

crt-shaders are designed for any resolution. It's just that when the output res isn't multiple (vertically) of the input, some artifacts become apparent more or less. You simply can't fit two pixels in three slots perfectly. It's mathematically impossible.

Man... I want to use all these shaders and overlays and stuff you guys are talking about, but I kinda don't know where to start and don't know which ones I should use for what system... also is there a way to use one per system? I've tried using the gameboy one for gameboy games but it applies it for all systems.

Radius4

It's just a matter of taste, and yes there is a way to do per-core / per-game even, just not via GUI.

Quick tutorial for per-core / per-game overrides:

Enable Loading of Overrides

Set your config folder to some folder that exists, and create a subfolder with the core name (case sensitive), the core name is the name you see when you select a Core (in the screenshot above it is FB Alpha).

Create a file with that same name (or the game name) and a .cfg extension.

so,
$CONFIGDIR\FB Alpha\FB Alpha.cfg

or

$CONFIGDIR\FB Alpha\garou.cfg

In that file do whatever you want per-core/per-game, for instance
video_shader = ":\shaders\crt\crt-royale.cgp"

And that's it! I plan adding saving of overrides after 1.2 is released. Only caveat, if an override is loaded config auto-save is disabled so the changes don't propagate to the main cfg.

Lettuce

Man... I want to use all these shaders and overlays and stuff you guys are talking about, but I kinda don't know where to start and don't know which ones I should use for what system... also is there a way to use one per system? I've tried using the gameboy one for gameboy games but it applies it for all systems.

Surely you just need to turn on 'Configuration Per-Core'

Jazzy

Neo Member
Any recommendations for PSX shaders? I'm not looking for accuracy, just want antialiasing and possibly widescreen.

Hyllian

Any recommendations for PSX shaders? I'm not looking for accuracy, just want antialiasing and possibly widescreen.
I'm a bit biased to speak...

If it was ePSXe, I would recommend other filters. But, as RA only uses Mednafen's PSX and it doesn't support high internal resolutions, then I recommend Super-xBR shaders for it. If you like crt, there are very good crt shaders inside crt folder (try crt-easymode, crt-hyllian, crt-geom, crt-lottes and crt-royale and decide which is best for you). Beware that some shaders don't have presets (*.cgp files), so in this case you have to manually set them in the shaders slots.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Has anyone tried to play the re-translated FFVII on RetroArch? Every other game works flawlessly (including the unpatched FFVII), but it seems the patch makes the game crash RetroArch as soon as I open it.

ePSXe runs it as it should, but meh. I rather use RetroArch if I can.

randome

Can anyone explain the per core thing, please? If i just enable save configuration on exit, it doesnt do anything. But if I do that and per core configuration, it works.

Radius4

Can anyone explain the per core thing, please? If i just enable save configuration on exit, it doesnt do anything. But if I do that and per core configuration, it works.

whaaaat?
when you enable configurations per-core, it will create a cfg for each core you load, the cfg will be created when you first load content with that core. Then all the settings you change will be saved to that cfg.

Personally I never liked this so I implemented config overrides that I explained in #2135

Awakened

Has anyone tried to play the re-translated FFVII on RetroArch? Every other game works flawlessly (including the unpatched FFVII), but it seems the patch makes the game crash RetroArch as soon as I open it.

ePSXe runs it as it should, but meh. I rather use RetroArch if I can.
The patch doesn't work in Mednafen yet, but the patch author does want to update it to fix that. There's some discussion about it here.

Aku-Audi

Hey Radius4, what generally goes into creating a core for libretro? Like what is the process, do you know?

Maybe some of us on GAF with some coding experience could get together to help bring over more cores or help with fixes.

Radius4

Hey Radius4, what generally goes into creating a core for libretro? Like what is the process, do you know?

Maybe some of us on GAF with some coding experience could get together to help bring over more cores or help with fixes.

Just C, we're always at #retroarch on freenode if you want to help

OK, I feel like an idiot, but I'm tired of tinkering. I'm trying to get the N64 emulation set up on RetroArch and I'm having a hard time with the rendering/display resolutions and window size playing nicely together. If I boot up Mario 64 and go to the core options to change the resolution (I assume this is the rendering resolution? It's unclear...), when I restart the game, the game becomes tiny and appears in the bottom left corner.

I assume there's some other combination of setting(s) in the core/frontend that I'm missing... if anyone could help out that'd be great.

EDIT: sigh, nevermind, I fixed it. Did a fresh install and it worked fine. I'm sure I had the settings all jacked up.

moniker

I must be stupid or something because I can't find the shader options. I'm running the latest nightly and when I ran the latest stable a couple of months back I had no trouble locating it.

In Settings > Video Settings i only see an option for Video Filter (.filt files), but nothing about shaders.

Awakened

I must be stupid or something because I can't find the shader options. I'm running the latest nightly and when I ran the latest stable a couple of months back I had no trouble locating it.

In Settings > Video Settings i only see an option for Video Filter (.filt files), but nothing about shaders.
Settings has had an organizational revamp, so a lot of stuff is in different places now. Shader settings are under Quick Menu, Shader Options.

Top Bottom