• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Yamisan

Just checked how I am vs the world, I'm number 40 in the world to have finished the game, but it was unfair because many got it so early on:

bo-returnal.png

That site isnt tracking everyone on psn.. just people who sync to that site.

OneTruth

Banned
Got the new patch, now every time a cutscene starts there's a 50% chance of that glitch happening where i can't pick up anything or open doors, i have to reset cycle to fix it !!!!!
Fucking shame...I waiting for another patch. Last patch change nothing...Why some people have bugs and crashes and some gamers dont have any bugs and crashes?. Very strange..

Last edited:

Vagos48

Fucking shame...I waiting for another patch. Last patch change nothing...Why some people have bugs and crashes and some gamers dont have any bugs and crashes?. Very strange..
It changed for me. I lost all progress cause I was in rest mode and it was updated and closed. I m seriously thinking of a asking for refund until a save game is introduced.

2AdEPT

As soon as that happens look for the source of the green light, there should be these white fleshly looking orbs on top of a pillar in the room, shoot that and you kill the ability for enemies to regenerate health, there should normally be just one but sometimes there are two, just make that your priority, they're not hard to miss!
There is a tower emitting it, you can shoot it from very far away before even engaging with the goons.
When like previous poster said, when ever you see enemies with green light, look for the pillar suppling the light. once you destroy it which usually you can from afar, you can stat going through and dealing with rest of enemies.

Game rewards you for being smart in the environment your in. SO knowing what is where, and maneuvering on the fly will help you go a long way. Like turrets were an issue for me early on because I kept gettin fucked with not having the sword.

Once you have that its as easy as running in zig/zag pattern and dashing right to turret and killing it with one blow.
Thanks Folks...I got brave and just went in knowing there would be a switch to flick somewhere and it was easy to turn off as you all said....Just so nerve wracking when you could get a really awesome run destryed by insane RNG...one run was ruined by a simple gold floor fall thingy where you normally just get loot inside a purple arch...not only were there two of the tentacle boss type guys but purple laser things shot out of the floor (AT THE SAME TIME IN CLOSE PROXIMITY)...anytime I get good RNG with suit and weapon upgades, artifacts, cubes and parasites (with no malfunctions to boot) "the game" seems to know I need a karma reversal and annhilates me! If it were not for the fact I get at least one ether to keep per run I might have rage quit. I guess the develpoers figure an average person deserves to die 6times per boss at least as that is how many ether it costs to get the rejuventaion bonus right?

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Since i just realized it yesterday a wanted to point out that if you stagger an enemy with your sword another bar will start to show up underneath their health bar.
Once it has disappeared you can stagger it again. And there are artifacts and parasites that extend the time an enemy is staggered.

To focus more on this helped me overall.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I beat the game, but I don't know the answer to this question because I always put the PS5 in rest mode.

If you beat the second biome and then decide to turn off your console, do you have to beat the first boss over again or do you restart your progress at the second Biome?

I'm confused because people are saying they lost all their progress and they have to start from the very beginning when their game crashed.
As long as the rest mode works as intended you will pick up your game EXACTLY where you left it.
When the power goes of or it installs the update while in rest mode you have to start over from the beginning.
Same when the game crashes while you play or when you turn off your game.

Once you beat a boss for the first time he becomes optional in future cycles.

Last edited:
I just beat the 2nd boss last night and was a bit half-way through the 3rd biome. I had to put my PS5 on rest mode because I needed to sleep.

Then the patch was installed. My progress was gone, lol!

I was so pissed off but I played again and maximized my Integrity to 300%. Was so satisfying to wipe the floor off the 3rd boss in one go 😁

I really like the Rotgland Lobber weapon too. It feels a bit OP but very fun to use.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Still have not media it past the first boss. I suck at this game.
If you're stuck, you can try saving up ether through the conversion station, then when you're feeling good about a run convert some of it back to money and buy up health packs and upgrades. If you see an astronaut figure for sale at the shop, that's a good time to plan to go all-in for the boss fight, as that's the best advantage you'll gain for the fight (mid-fight second life). Get all the way to the boss and then double back to buy the items, in case you get unlucky while clearing out the level.

Find that you're taking a lot of hits and always at low-mid health, so not getting many integrity upgrade points? You can go back to the ship and sleep to recharge your hp. If you're at full HP while picking up silphium you'll get integrity upgrade points from it instead of hp.

I liked the carbine for the first boss.

I'm totally hooked. I hope Sony throws some money at Housemarque for a sequel. Expand the scope a bit, put more thought into the roguelike elements and meta-progression, and they'll have something truly special.

While playing last night it occurred to me that Housemarque could also be the perfect studio to make that sci-fi Souls game that some of us have been wanting to see.

drotahorror

Are my trophies just not working? I got 2 sun fragments and still don't have the SIns of the Mother trophy, the one where you have to view all the house sequences.
So you need all 6 frags and then go to house in first biome?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Are my trophies just not working? I got 2 sun fragments and still don't have the SIns of the Mother trophy, the one where you have to view all the house sequences.
So you need all 6 frags and then go to house in first biome?

It's bugged. I got like 18 out of 31 and it says 30%. But to me no fucks given because I never seek trophies.

DonJorginho

Banned
I was able to get to the first boss’s third phase yesterday. It’ll happen eventually. Thanks for all the tips!
Don't be afraid to go on the defensive during the fight, it ain't a rush to kill him, and when you rush is normally when mistakes come up.

Taking a step back and just watching his move-set will help you a lot, ensure you maintain a good distance, just study what he does and you'll nail his telegraphs bro!

Maybe even just rush to the boss, not with the intention to beat him but to just see how long you can last avoiding his attacks, this will turn into a muscle memory like reflex so when you take him on with a better gun, more offensive mindset and tons more health it will become a cakewalk.

You can use this lesson for any boss tbh.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I was able to get to the first boss’s third phase yesterday. It’ll happen eventually. Thanks for all the tips!
It took me a while to get it, but you cant just rush to the boss. You have to prepare and you might as well get in the habit of doing that now because once you get to Biome 2 and 3, you will have to pretty much run through all three biomes to prepare for the boss. That means buying any figurines for extra lifes, buying a lot of med packs and health upgrades, and getting as many parasite bonuses as you can before taking on the boss. Some of the parasites like the ones that heal you if you health gets to critical levels are pretty much a life saver against bosses. And you wont get them if you dont explore and if you dont treat each boss run as a full 1 hour run.

Just dont do any challenge rooms because they might end up killing your run.

SCB3

It took me a while to get it, but you cant just rush to the boss. You have to prepare and you might as well get in the habit of doing that now because once you get to Biome 2 and 3, you will have to pretty much run through all three biomes to prepare for the boss. That means buying any figurines for extra lifes, buying a lot of med packs and health upgrades, and getting as many parasite bonuses as you can before taking on the boss. Some of the parasites like the ones that heal you if you health gets to critical levels are pretty much a life saver against bosses. And you wont get them if you dont explore and if you dont treat each boss run as a full 1 hour run.

Pretty much what I do, also the challenge rooms are good for grinding out the Weapon Proficiency as well if you want better weapons to come

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What the hell?? I just thought it was for more damage with melee and not for the orange barriers...

Hey, I fininshed the game without knowing critical stuff like:

- How to break the yellow barrier.
- Figurine is a second life mid-fight.

And I think there are still things unknown to me.

But what I got so far as suit permanent upgrades:

- Grappling hook.
- I can walk under water.
- I can walk on lava with no damage.
- I can see hidden platforms.
- And the obvious one the teleporting ability.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

- Figurine is a second life mid-fight.

And I think there are still things unknown to me.

But what I got so far as suit permanent upgrades:

Cut
I think that listing all the abilities can be considered spoiler (it was for me) dude.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

I had a parasite for low integrity regeneration + suit stat low integrity regeneration. That is a hack makes you regenerate much faster than with just one ;).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I had a parasite for low integrity regeneration + suit stat low integrity regeneration. That is a hack makes you regenerate much faster than with just one ;).
Ah man. I wasnt sure that they stacked. Had the opportunity to get it. I had a parasite that limited my healing which made the regen pretty much useless. you can see it in my boss 3 run. it barely added any regen.

How do you do this?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ah man. I wasnt sure that they stacked. Had the opportunity to get it. I had a parasite that limited my healing which made the regen pretty much useless. you can see it in my boss 3 run. it barely add any regen.

Yeah I'm very careful and picky with parasites, along my whole run stacked 3 but after checking more than 30+ of them. Anything that gives me perks and say that next malfunction will be hard I say fuck it, I take it. Be mindful of their downsides.

BTW, isn't Returnal putting Deathloop in a boring situation? Now Deathloop feels like "yeah, another zombie game". Game looks interesting nonetheless.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is me as well. The most recent patch has caused a bunch of crashes. Before that I only had the issue with changing the space suit.
Lol my ps5 was downloading the latest patch when i found out that it was causing problems to everyone, i luckily stopped the download when it was 5 mb from finishing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
That sword is a game changer. Being able to run up and destroy those turrets with a single blow. Feels good man.
You don't need the sword upgrade to fuck turrets with one blow.

Everythijg that is not big or humanoid usually dies with one sword hit, shield or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom